Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

So who was in the car the other day pretending to be her?

e: :siren: :siren: BBC FORCED TO REPORT THING AS MAIN STORY :siren: :siren:

quote:

Princess of Wales: Kate image withdrawn by three news agencies amid 'manipulation' concerns

Three photo agencies have retracted a picture of the Princess of Wales over concerns it has been "manipulated".

The image, taken by Prince William and issued by Kensington Palace for Mother's Day, showed Catherine with their three children.

But Associated Press was the first to pull the image as it "did not meet" the agency's photo standards. The agency noted an "inconsistency in the alignment of Princess Charlotte's left hand".

Kensington Palace declined to comment.

The photo shows the princess sitting down, surrounded by Princess Charlotte, Prince Louis and Prince George, the latter wrapping his arms around her.

It was the first official photo of the Princess of Wales since her abdominal surgery two months ago. Since then she has stayed out of the public eye.

The image was posted on the Prince and Princess of Wales's social media accounts with a message from Catherine which said: "Thank you for your kind wishes and continued support over the last two months.

She's dead

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The House of Lords has been demanding changes to the Rwanda bill before they pass it. Practically speaking, what happens if the Lords just refuse to move on the bill, or any other? Can the government compel them to pass it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The House of Lords has been demanding changes to the Rwanda bill before they pass it. Practically speaking, what happens if the Lords just refuse to move on the bill, or any other? Can the government compel them to pass it?

After three readings I believe the government can override the lords on any bill, but that takes a while.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

After three readings I believe the government can override the lords on any bill, but that takes a while.

Close, but not quite. All bills are read three times in the Lords before they pass, although sometimes the process is a formality. First reading in the Lords is when the upper house is made aware of the bill. Second reading is where the Lords debate the bill and raise any concerns. Third reading is the amendments stage, after which the bill is returned to the Commons. If the bill is fairly straightforward then Second Reading is basically "OK, looks alright, we don't need a third reading but we'll say we did".

If the Lords amend a bill, the Commons must agree on the wording. This often leads to what is known officially as "ping pong" - I kid you not, it's the term used on the Parliament website - where the bill is sent back and forth between the houses with new revisions until both find a wording that they agree on. If this goes on for more than one year from the date of Second reading in the Commons (the first Commons debate), then and only then can the Commons send a bill for royal assent without the consent of the Lords.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I think they have to go through a whole cycle of a parliamentary year before the Lords can be ignored(??) so Rishi won't be able to force it through in time

e: Beaten like a royal princess

https://twitter.com/meghanxhaz/status/1766985998863650934

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 11, 2024

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I must admit, I don't think I expected this thread to get quite so into the latest royals gossip.

Nothing better than watching an empire slowly die, pity we are on the inside during the process. :shrug:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
There are a whole bunch of positions in the UK where you have to swear an oath of personal allegiance to the monarch - MPs, armed forces, the judiciary, police, and notably people naturalising as UK citizens. That was already very silly and objectionable under the last monarch but imagine having to do it now lol.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

EvilHawk posted:

I honestly don't give a poo poo about the royal family, but the fact that they must know about the speculation at this point, there's been weeks of talk in the tabloids and on twitter about her, and the solution is...

a dodgy photo shopped picture of her without her husband, or her wearing a wedding ring (which even the Telegraph picked up on) ?

This isn't the kind of picture I'm used to seeing people say "no ring" in response to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's what the abdominal surgery and charlies bum problems were about, all trying to recreate the majesty of the goatman.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Goatse James Bond posted:

just so I'm understanding correctly, Harry's murdering his way to the throne, right?

Nah, Liz Truss already killed him and the other Windsors. Britain is a republic now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

If the Lords amend a bill, the Commons must agree on the wording. This often leads to what is known officially as "ping pong" - I kid you not, it's the term used on the Parliament website - where the bill is sent back and forth between the houses with new revisions until both find a wording that they agree on.
* wiff waff

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lmao the world is stupid as hell today.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
waiting for the next dramatic twist in the royal soap opera like :munch:

Did Kate ever really exist? Perhaps it's an actress been playing her all these years and now she's had a better offer from Hollywood.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
French press killing a Princess of Wales, wouldn’t be the first time

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

John Oliver, face contorting into that gross Tom Hanks pic: "ohhhhhhhhh Pippa"

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

BBC "News" posted:

It may well have been that some editing was done on the original photo which has now resulted in the discrepancies in its appearance.

The implication here is not that the entire photo is a fake or that the Princess of Wales is more unwell than she appears in the image. That seems unlikely and would be a very high-risk strategy from the Kensington Palace team.

:jerkbag:

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
https://twitter.com/IamHappyToast/status/1766968489204453859?t=aS0c5gqxaM9Pdi7PfK5lFA&s=19

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fuctifino posted:

I think they have to go through a whole cycle of a parliamentary year before the Lords can be ignored(??) so Rishi won't be able to force it through in time

I was going to say it's been a year since the Rwanda Bill got a second reading in the Commons, but apparently it was 12th December?

That said: if Sunak does stretch out this government absolutely as long as possible, he will be able to force it through before closing Parliament as the last possible date for that is 17th December this year. It would literally be the last thing he did, and I can see him doing it because he knows Starmer won't reverse it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Yeah, in the context of everything else that's happened, that's totally unlikely lol.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So basically this is Weekend at Bernie's, royal UK edition?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jedit posted:

I was going to say it's been a year since the Rwanda Bill got a second reading in the Commons, but apparently it was 12th December?

That said: if Sunak does stretch out this government absolutely as long as possible, he will be able to force it through before closing Parliament as the last possible date for that is 17th December this year. It would literally be the last thing he did, and I can see him doing it because he knows Starmer won't reverse it.

Counterpoint - vote for me or this won't get through! will no one think of the small votes boats!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

His Divine Shadow posted:

So basically this is Weekend at Bernie's, royal UK edition?
"a very high-risk strategy from the Kensington Palace team"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Loving the idea of a day-drunk Camilla seeing the kill issue on the Photoshopped image and angrily slamming her Mac closed, just visible a second amateur Photoshop she was working on.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Camilla’s disappeared too hasn’t she? Another victim of William’s bloodlust

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jakabite posted:

Camilla’s disappeared too hasn’t she? Another victim of William’s bloodlust

Nah, she's going to reappear at the end, dancing down the path singing "it was Camilla all along!"

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Only one man has the knowledge of his target and the training to track down and neutralise the mass-murdering prince...but after so many betrayals, will Harry take on the job?

This summer: BAD WILL HUNTING.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

This really gives vibes of 'we're talking around the story because the super-injunction prevents us from talking about the story'.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In a hundred years it'll be a piece of trivia that the UK technically still has a monarchy but they all mysteriously vanished over the course of 2024 and no-one ever worked out where they all went.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The monarchy is just out of frame, laughing too.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: On second thoughts, removed.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 11, 2024

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

In a hundred years it'll be a piece of trivia that the UK technically still has a monarchy but they all mysteriously vanished over the course of 2024 and no-one ever worked out where they all went.

However, the Palace continues to regularly issue photos of the royals. They never age, but they look increasingly strange in a way nobody can quite put their finger on

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just had a vivid thought that the Bob Morons and David Ickes of the world are going to loving love this.

Just needs King Chuck to fall off of his throne and a dozen iguanas to scurry out of his empty monarch suit for the royals to finish one upping the stupidest poo poo on earth.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

fuctifino posted:

I've only just noticed the huge Adam's apple...

I'm changing my theory to William wearing a latex dead-wife mask

Getting dangerously close to being one of those weird terfs who thinks all celebs have transitioned

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

JoylessJester posted:

Getting dangerously close to being one of those weird terfs who thinks all celebs have transitioned

Agreed. Sorry, pre-caffeine shitpost. I've removed my post

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I don't want to get out of bed and go to work. But there are not enough posts in the thread to justify being a lazy baggins and keeping reading while under a pile of cats :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Post pictures of the pile of cats :3:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
All jokes aside you do have to wonder if it's starting to sink in at the palace how tenuous their control on the media is getting.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mebh posted:

I don't want to get out of bed and go to work. But there are not enough posts in the thread to justify being a lazy baggins and keeping reading while under a pile of cats :(

drat this is me too. When I get to the end of the thread I switch to BBC news and see if anything interesting is happening, then I switch back here and there's only 3 new posts? That's just not enough content and I'm dangerously close to logging into my work laptop

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Isomermaid posted:

All jokes aside you do have to wonder if it's starting to sink in at the palace how tenuous their control on the media is getting.

Wonder if there’s something to it with the picture agencies in this case being overseas (I think? Do we even have a domestic one?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
If it's something mundane, why don't they just say what is? So weird.