Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Alhazred posted:

And of loving course he named his kids Tudor and Lisbeth.

I named my kids George and Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Arglebargle III posted:

Re-enactors have shown pretty convincingly (at least to me) that the filth of medieval and early modern Europeans is overblown. We clean ourselves by immersing our bodies in water every day, so when we hear that past Europeans didn't do that, we assume they didn't clean themselves. It's projection. Early modern Europeans did have working noses and were aware of cleaning themselves, but they did it by sponge baths and rubbing their bodies with cloth, which would then be washed.

I’m just saying what the text presents, bud. I have no idea as to the cleanliness of the times - but the book sure takes pains to point out how all the barbarians all have lice and believe cleanliness leads to sickness. Take it up with the author

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Arglebargle III posted:

Re-enactors have shown pretty convincingly (at least to me) that the filth of medieval and early modern Europeans is overblown. We clean ourselves by immersing our bodies in water every day, so when we hear that past Europeans didn't do that, we assume they didn't clean themselves. It's projection. Early modern Europeans did have working noses and were aware of cleaning themselves, but they did it by sponge baths and rubbing their bodies with cloth, which would then be washed.

'In such circumstances, nice smells were very welcome. In Gervase Markham’s popular 17th century work, The English Housewife, he writes how to make pomanders (which you carry around and sniff if near a particularly foul stench):

"To make pomanders, take two pennyworth of labdanum, two pennyworth of storax liquid, one pennyworth of calamus aromaticus, as much balm, half a quarter of a pound of fine wax, of cloves and mace two pennyworth, of liquid aloes three pennyworth, of nutmegs eight pennyworth, and of musk four grains; beat all these exceedingly together till they come to a perfect substance, then mould it in any fashion you please and dry it." ' -1615

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Enderzero posted:

Later on, he gets disgusted thinking of how dirty they were when they hosed, having experienced Japanese clean, and wonders if he could ever convince her to get clean!

What, you don't want her to catch the dropsy do you??

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

counterfeitsaint posted:

What, you don't want her to catch the dropsy do you??

Of course not, it’s the Pilot’s wife you god-cursed heathen!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I haven't read the book since high school and I can't remember if the diving scene was in there, but I thought the punchline was going to be that he could stop diving when Toronaga couldn't smell him any more.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think Toranaga was demonstrating to his people that he, Lord of the Kantō, had things he could learn from the smelly barbarian. So, asking them to learn from him and be subservient to him would be less like a humiliation. Also, he's Hatamoto now, Toranaga's personal samurai, who has unfettered access to the boss. No funny business from you, Yabu-sama.

The book scene has everybody skinny dipping.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Throughout the thousand page tome that is clavell's Shogun, there's about an entire modest paperback worth of weird horniness that the show has mercifully spared us from.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I watched the first two episodes and I get the Tom Hardy comparisons, but I feel like Cosmo Jarvis is channeling Cillian Murphy in Peaky Blinders more than Hardy. It's the slightly off and measured way he paces his speech. I love it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I appreciate that Torunaga's crest on his clothes and helmet is about as close to the real Tokugawa one as Cosmo Jarvis is to Tom Hardy

Also like Blackthorne being kind of a ruthless SOB, gives him more of a "I know I'm getting used here but I'm gonna play you at the same time" vibe. Like the way he dropped the info about the Portuguese base in Macau for maximum shock value.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's no more off putting than the blue contacts Edward James Olmos wore on Battlestar Galactica so that he would look more like Jamie Bamber.

This is where I point to my Crazy Newspaper Clipping Wall with red string connecting "Bill Adama - contacts" to "William Adams/John Blackthorne - contacts??" (By which I mean to say it's a fun coincidence)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm only on episode 2 so I'm avoiding the thread for fear of spoilers but I must ask: Should I read the book alongside watching the show, or wait?

And If I should read the book, which one? I'm not familiar at all with the book or series.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

The book is 'Shogun' by James Clavell. He has some other books, but that is the one that Shogun the TV show is based on.

I've read the novel, I dunno, 6 or 8 times, and so far the series is very close to the book. Moreso than any recent adaptation of anything I can think of.

And it's just this one series, so it'll presumably end at the same place the book does. They are zipping through - this last episode ended at around page 434 in my copy out of the total 1152 pages.

I suppose your decision on reading the book is going to depend on how fast of a reader you are (it's a pretty long book), and if you'd rather finish the show or book first.

Bread Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 11, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they do other seasons, is it going to be like knives out where they think people are too stupid to figure out what it is so they call it Whatever: A Shogun Show

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I assume next is Tai Pan and it will just be called that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I fully expect any follow ups to be Shogun: Subtitle. It's too late to call the whole thing The Asian Saga.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Just throw something about Nobunaga together idk

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Cojawfee posted:

If they do other seasons, is it going to be like knives out where they think people are too stupid to figure out what it is so they call it Whatever: A Shogun Show

Godzilla: A Shogun show.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
New episode tonight, Midnight EST, 9:00PM PST. Here is the trailer for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI0fixk8tBc

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

I'm only on episode 2 so I'm avoiding the thread for fear of spoilers but I must ask: Should I read the book alongside watching the show, or wait?

And If I should read the book, which one? I'm not familiar at all with the book or series.

Depends if you see this as a good or bad thing

hailthefish posted:

Throughout the thousand page tome that is clavell's Shogun, there's about an entire modest paperback worth of weird horniness that the show has mercifully spared us from.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Yabushige's Crow (?) feather armor looks cool as poo poo.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

Yabushige's Crow (?) feather armor looks cool as poo poo.

FX has a nice featurette about the costume designs, including that outfit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7k65stCQJE

The show is doing a fantastic job buffing out all the "This was obviously written by British/American/Australian dude from the mid-20th century who was wrestling with some WWII trauma and thought Ayn Rand was just dandy, but was also trying to be respectful in his own middle-aged horny teenager way" stuff, and balancing Toranaga's story and Blackthorne's story. Which makes me wonder about the final act of the whole story: I'm betting we get to actually see the Battle of Sekigahara instead of a "Then a battle happened" two-paragraph coda. In fact, I would be pleased to bits if the final episode is maybe a half hour wrapping up Blackthorne's story, with him working on a new ship, and then a full half hour of the battle focused on Toranaga and Ishido in the thick of it.

Also, shame on the book publisher. They have pulled the one-volume version off of Amazon's Kindle site (though I bought it years ago and it still is working fine on my Kindle) and are now selling it as a two-parter, for about $9 per volume. And, if one of the one-star reviews are to be believed, they have Special Editioned it, so to speak, such as removing the early bathing scene. Can't confirm though. Which makes me wonder, especially considering Clavell's daughter is a producer, if they could just wholesale update the book to eliminate anachronisms and such -- while still making the original version available. Call it the FX adaptation version or whatever.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 11, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I really like the actor playing Ishido. I'm excited to see how things work out for his character!

pretend I spoilered something else on this subject, I refuse to say more

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

The show is doing a fantastic job buffing out all the "This was obviously written by British/American/Australian dude from the mid-20th century who was wrestling with some WWII trauma and thought Ayn Rand was just dandy, but was also trying to be respectful in his own middle-aged horny teenager way" stuff, and balancing Toranaga's story and Blackthorne's story. Which makes me wonder about the final act of the whole story: I'm betting we get to actually see the Battle of Sekigahara instead of a "Then a battle happened" two-paragraph coda. In fact, I would be pleased to bits if the final episode is maybe a half hour wrapping up Blackthorne's story, with him working on a new ship, and then a full half hour of the battle focused on Toranaga and Ishido in the thick of it.

I have mixed feelings because the ending of the book is really great, maybe even the best part, but yeah it will need changes of some kind to work in a visual medium. The exact balance they strike, well it will be interesting to see. Much as I personally would enjoy toranaga's wild 30 minute sociopath soliloquy about just how completely and totally he's manipulated everyone

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Coming here to say I read this 25 years ago and it immediately caused me to buy Shogun Total War and this series loving rules.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I have such a big backlog of games already but seriously feeling the urge to reinstall Total War Shogun 2 and make Tokugawa Ieyasu disappointed in my hamfisted attempts at generaling :shobon:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
A SHAMEFUL DISPLAY!

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

I have mixed feelings because the ending of the book is really great, maybe even the best part, but yeah it will need changes of some kind to work in a visual medium. The exact balance they strike, well it will be interesting to see. Much as I personally would enjoy toranaga's wild 30 minute sociopath soliloquy about just how completely and totally he's manipulated everyone

Yeah. I like the ending a lot as well. (Shogun book spoilers) It was kinda clear that Clavell was trying not to add another 200 pages to the brick of a book, but also focusing on Toranaga's inner thoughts and how Blackthorne will just have to be content tinkering on his ship designs until the day he dies, and that is the destiny Toranaga makes. And then the two-paragraph bit about how Toranaga succeeded. Something about how blunt and sudden that last page hits is really great. I just fear doing a similar thing in TV would feel like a cheat.

Also, it's one of the few books in Clavell's Asian Saga that doesn't try to wrap everything up with a disaster conveniently sweeping away half of the unresolved plots. Whirlwind, for all its faults, has a great final act driven by the characters hatching a plan and then trying to make that plan work. (Minus the grenade bit.) It's the middle 400 pages or so that drag it down.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bread Enthusiast posted:

The book is 'Shogun' by James Clavell. He has some other books, but that is the one that Shogun the TV show is based on.

I've read the novel, I dunno, 6 or 8 times, and so far the series is very close to the book. Moreso than any recent adaptation of anything I can think of.

And it's just this one series, so it'll presumably end at the same place the book does. They are zipping through - this last episode ended at around page 434 in my copy out of the total 1152 pages.

I suppose your decision on reading the book is going to depend on how fast of a reader you are (it's a pretty long book), and if you'd rather finish the show or book first.

I'm going to give it a go, thanks!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess this could be approaching some dangerous fanfiction line, but maybe with this creative team they could be trusted to do a season 2 covering the siege of osaka castle.

Given how much the marketing material seems to be playing up lady chacha (I forget her clavell name) relative to her role in the book, maybe they're thinking about it

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

If they did that, I'd rather it be a movie than a season 2, but we also had a pretty good Sekigahara movie already.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Ep 4, holy poo poo.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Good episode!! War!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Very good episode. I'm sold on Jarvis now.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My takeaway this time is fujiko's actress is also very good. Chalk up another quite improved in the adaptation character in addition to king poo poo yabu

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I liked the "don't let the white guy try natto" interlude

Like, cmon Mariko, dudes been living off boiled rope and albatross poo poo. You mean theres no weevils in this bowl? None at all? Itadaki-loving-masu.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well poo poo that escalated quickly.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I kind of hate this show.

I love the premise, the acting, the costumes, the sets, the attention to historicity and the details put into it, just the sheer scope of what they're accomplishing in filming this sort of thing.

But I hate the scheming plots shoehorned in every few minutes every episode.

I get that it's probably all part of the book, but so much of it just makes me yell at my TV for how dumb it comes off to me. It reminds me of Game of Thrones in the worst way, and I wish it didn't.

I don't doubt that I'm in the minority (of probably just me) that wishes this stuck to simpler plots with less scheming. It's likely just the way the plots are shoehorned in everywhere. They're probably fine in the grander narrative arc, I just hate them being introduced constantly in the way they are.

I'm bad at enjoying drama, I wish I appreciated backstabbing and random sex more.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jehde posted:

I kind of hate this show.

I love the premise, the acting, the costumes, the sets, the attention to historicity and the details put into it, just the sheer scope of what they're accomplishing in filming this sort of thing.

But I hate the scheming plots shoehorned in every few minutes every episode.

I get that it's probably all part of the book, but so much of it just makes me yell at my TV for how dumb it comes off to me. It reminds me of Game of Thrones in the worst way, and I wish it didn't.

I don't doubt that I'm in the minority (of probably just me) that wishes this stuck to simpler plots with less scheming. It's likely just the way the plots are shoehorned in everywhere. They're probably fine in the grander narrative arc, I just hate them being introduced constantly in the way they are.

I'm bad at enjoying drama, I wish I appreciated backstabbing and random sex more.

I regret to inform you that that constant scheming is a feature, not a bug, of all three incarnations of Shōgun, the book, the 80s mini and this show. Who's screwing over who and how they do or don't get away with it is THE backbone of the narrative.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

kiimo posted:

You guys are winning me over

if the end of episode 4 doesn't win you over i dont know what to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This show fucks and I wish it were getting more attention.

Yabus is annoying though.