Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

N64 and GameCube had some of the best star wars games, podracer, rogue squadron, shadows of the empire, even that Clone Wars game was pretty fun

the ones where you're that edgelord evil jedi were great to, rag dolling baddies all over the place and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ibram Gaunt posted:

All the infinity engine games have terrible gameplay tbh. The story is good in most of them I think though.

RTWP = FAIL.

RTWP kinda made sense for Baldurs Gate 1, cause low level 2e DnD combat doesnt have a lot of depth, its like 90% basic attacks with a high failure rate. It sucks outside of that instance.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

:69snypa:

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
when in doubt, 69 it out

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

One More Fat Nerd posted:

RTWP kinda made sense for Baldurs Gate 1, cause low level 2e DnD combat doesnt have a lot of depth, its like 90% basic attacks with a high failure rate. It sucks outside of that instance.
RTWP is good in general actually because it means you don't need to wait out each individual enemy action one by one. which is by far the worst part of baldur's gate 3

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the biggest problem i have with rtwp is the lack of immediate feedback on commands. bg2 felt like i was making suggestions to my party rather than controlling them

also those D&D systems were horrible for video games

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

If there was a Poy Poy scene it consisted of me and 2 of my friends at school because we're the only people who bought that game

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the biggest problem i have with rtwp is the lack of immediate feedback on commands. bg2 felt like i was making suggestions to my party rather than controlling them

also those D&D systems were horrible for video games

i mean, rtwp is why nobody wanted this kind of game anymore and easy to understand larian style turn based combat is part of how bg3 got so wildly popular it got a south park episode

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i felt like i was taking crazy pills when i was growing up and all the pc-brained people kept telling me how good baldurs gate 2 was.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

D&D is turn based IRL and should be in video games. It's that simple.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
RTwP is the best system for RPGs. Apart from turn-based. It's outright tolerable, in fact, and I completed Tyranny with almost no qualms about it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i remember the blatantly unfinished Troika release of TOEE had a really well-regarded turn-based implementation of 3.5 but i did not play that one

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

the only troika game i remembered playing besides vtm: bloodlines was arcanum, which feels unjustly tainted by the whole mid-2000s steampunk bullshit but was fun. and of course, being a troika game, it was unfinished and buggy as hell.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
troika is like "obsidian but more so"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the dear ether guys are making the new bloodlines game so expect a lot of walking

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Al! posted:

the dear ether guys are making the new bloodlines game so expect a lot of walking

I don't even think most of those devs from that game are left

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Al! posted:

that game is just duke nukem forever for the fetlife crowd, lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"i'm gonna rip off your head and poo poo down your neck" (everything about it)

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i remember the blatantly unfinished Troika release of TOEE had a really well-regarded turn-based implementation of 3.5 but i did not play that one

It was extremely accurate to 3.X, which may be positive or negative, depending on your inclination, but it was hilariously buggy and unfinished.

One thing I remember well is that a bunch of different weapons only existed in the game in theory. They weren't in drop tables, vendor inventory, or placed loot. The only way to get one of these was to start with it, which you could do by taking weapon focus at first level. The weapon you start with isn't masterwork, so it can't be enchanted even if you have the Item Creation feats.

So you could easily end up with a character specialized in a weapon that can never be upgraded in any way.

There's a big unofficial mod that largely fixes/finishes the game.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

NoiseAnnoys posted:

that game is just duke nukem for the fetlife crowd, lol

I'm here to gently caress rear end and chew bubblegum and I'm all out of bubblegum

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i think that's just world of darkness in general

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't even think most of those devs from that game are left
They aren't. Everyone was fired except the founders, then the studio was sold to... Sumo Digital, I think, then the founders left. The only thing left is the name.

Just another piece of the utterly bewildering story of Bloodlines 2.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

NoiseAnnoys posted:

lol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I did, and yes, it had a great combat system and was just kind of okay in every other respect. Though I think there are now mods to make the just-okay stuff better, as is the way with all of these games.

It was intentionally a very faithful adaptation of an early D&D module that didn't have a lot of depth to it, so people who were used to the more complicated storylines you'd get in the Infinity Engine games understandably reacted a bit poorly. That, and of course it was released in an unfinished barely-playable state like all Troika games, though, like all Troika games, it eventually got to a good place with patches and mods. (I can't remember if it was this one or Vampire: Bloodlines where the publisher told them they weren't allowed to release any more patches so one of the developers made an unofficial one on their own time. I want to say it was Bloodlines but god that was so long ago.)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
do NOT play tabletop WOD. you WILL be asked to participate in a "play session"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
does anyone remember the bizarre poo poo between the two competing VTM patches where one of them after fixing/restoring stuff kept adding or changing completely pointless poo poo

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I like the Infinity Engine games a lot, and I also love turn-based stuff so am looking forward to digging into Baldur's Gate 3, er, soon.

It's extremely funny to me as someone who's been a spectator of computer RPG discourse for mumblemumble years to see that people were complaining about BG3 being turn-based though, after all the absolute loving whining the IE games got for being RTWP.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

does anyone remember the bizarre poo poo between the two competing VTM patches where one of them after fixing/restoring stuff kept adding or changing completely pointless poo poo

Oh god yeah, up to and including the developer of one of the patches turning up in the comments (of wherever) to scream in a completely hinged fashion at anyone who suggested that theirs wasn't the 'official' unofficial patch.

I think the 'good' unofficial patch has two flavors too, one that's mostly just bugfixes and one that's more elaborate changes.

God, I'm gonna have to reinstall and play Bloodlines soon, aren't I.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arcanum had a big questline about the Gnomish Question which makes me lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The Tranquil Solution in da2 lmao

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Snow Cone Capone posted:

N64 and GameCube had some of the best star wars games, podracer, rogue squadron, shadows of the empire, even that Clone Wars game was pretty fun

the ones where you're that edgelord evil jedi were great to, rag dolling baddies all over the place and such

Only thing I remember about the Gamecube one is my brother freaking out on a level that involved navigating what might've been the Millennium Falcon into a narrow opening in some space building but he kept smashing into the side over and over again like a micro-9/11 on loop

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
never had a gamecube but I can't imagine playing time splitters 2 any other way.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

do NOT play tabletop WOD. you WILL be asked to participate in a "play session"

And if anyone floats the idea of playing a faerie dragon, well...

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Misterbibs, a goon semi-famous

shaka, when the walls fell

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It wasn't very subtle, lol.

This is when video games had gone woke!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Tranquil Solution in da2 lmao

game writers cannot be trusted to handle holocaust metaphors

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I remember watching Babylon 5 and lolling that they named the bad human government people the "ministry of truth".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Check out my new Sci-fi rpg villain, Baddolf Shitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Check out my new Sci-fi rpg villain, Baddolf Shitler

100 page thread of goons arguing that Baddolf Shitler is the protagonist actually