Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Er Yuffie is suddenly gaining her limit extremely quickly(like in 20 seconds against random encounter trash enemies). Am I missing a mechanic or is this a bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Er Yuffie is suddenly gaining her limit extremely quickly(like in 20 seconds against random encounter trash enemies). Am I missing a mechanic or is this a bug?

Does she have one of the abilities that gains limit on stagger? Because that loving skyrockets your limit on trash mobs.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Also if you have the fury effect on you (the cosmo canyon chickens apply it on hit iirc) it will build up your limit incredibly quickly.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Uh holy gently caress Gears and Gambits sucks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just hit auto program and launch whatever bots the enemy is weak against, works on all the normal difficulty ones.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Late chapter 13 spoilers: the music that plays when you’re assisting Rude and Reno has the original battle theme intro in it :dogcited:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is the biggest difference with Dynamic just enemies having more health, or do they do significantly more damage?

I'm torn on using that, since most overworld enemies die quickly, but then I still have some trouble with certain bosses. They definitely don't feel like they're dying super fast like (I think) Oxxidation mentioned.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

berenzen posted:

Also if you have the fury effect on you (the cosmo canyon chickens apply it on hit iirc) it will build up your limit incredibly quickly.

Ah that might be it combined with the stagger thing

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Queens Blood questline completionists, I'm a bit lost. I've tried googling this but all the pages I get are your typical "Queens Blood is a card game in the videogame Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth" basic rear end poo poo. I'm reasonably deep into that questline, I just beat the 8th or 9th "big" character that you need to beat to rank up so spoilers in if you care about that. I beat the creator of the game as a ghost in the spooky hotel and he told me to seek out the Enchanted queen or something. I have one opponent showing in the Gold Saucer on the grander world map but I'm not sure who it is and they don't show up on any zoomed in view that I can see and no leads on where to go next apart from that?

Ytlaya posted:

Is the biggest difference with Dynamic just enemies having more health, or do they do significantly more damage?

I'm torn on using that, since most overworld enemies die quickly, but then I still have some trouble with certain bosses. They definitely don't feel like they're dying super fast like (I think) Oxxidation mentioned.

I played on dynamic, never switched off it so I can't say much about it in comparison to normal. I found myself killing a lot of the bosses before getting a second synergy ability off or a limit break. I actually more often found an occasional chadley fiend fight or some of the simulator challenges harder than most bosses if they had a particularly nasty gimmick weirdly. I found the game as a whole on dynamic easier than the Remake on it's default setting but I considered myself quite poo poo at Remake on that initial playthrough but then I beat Remake on hard in the weeks after it came out and found I'd grown better enough to find that much easier.

Give it a go, if you don't like it can always knock back down anyway right?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 11, 2024

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

RatHat posted:

I've noticed this too while having her abuse Enemy Skill, Mug, and Blindside to create constant plasma explosions. Staggering multiple things quickly while burning through actions builds LB super fast.

I also expect that Soothing Breeze is going to be a killer app in hard mode so I'll have to remember to grab Enemy Skill off her before I start that.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Do you have to redo all the world intel stuff in hard mode?

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n
so I haven't seen it yet in 7Remake and IDK if it'll even exist there or not, but going off this convo it's at least back for Rebirth...

I gotta know, is Enemy Skill as fuckin busted as it was in 7? My playthrough of it was absolutely carried by Big Guard and other fun tools like Frog Song... even the act of baiting enemies into casting spells on me/manipulating to get all the skills i could was a lot of fun. I'd love to get more of that in rebirth, but im worried it won't be as much of a force multiplier

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

trizzNPH posted:

so I haven't seen it yet in 7Remake and IDK if it'll even exist there or not, but going off this convo it's at least back for Rebirth...

I gotta know, is Enemy Skill as fuckin busted as it was in 7? My playthrough of it was absolutely carried by Big Guard and other fun tools like Frog Song... even the act of baiting enemies into casting spells on me/manipulating to get all the skills i could was a lot of fun. I'd love to get more of that in rebirth, but im worried it won't be as much of a force multiplier

Plasma Discharge is probably the best ability in the game alongside Blindside and Windstorm. Soothing Breeze is really strong too if you can time its usage well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

berenzen posted:

Do you have to redo all the world intel stuff in hard mode?

Nope.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

triple sulk posted:

Plasma Discharge is probably the best ability in the game alongside Blindside and Windstorm. Soothing Breeze is really strong too if you can time its usage well.

is aqualung back? I've noticed a lack of water element materia in 7 remake so far much like 7, having Aqualung as a tool was crazy. definitely excited to hear that it's back and also kinda just as busted as before though!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

trizzNPH posted:

It is super broken, with the right setup. Yuffie's kit synergizes with it very well but other party members can get good use out of it too. It's relatively limited though since you only get a small selection of skills, unlocked one at a time via Chadley's VR missions.

It's easily one of the tent pole materia in Rebirth, at least through chapter 9.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Hmm, I had enemy skill on someone all game, did most of the simulator challenges to unlock the skills (didn't do the mindflayer one cause it annoyed me) but never actually activated one of the enemy skills at any point. This is seeming like a real mistake to make. Something for the postgame cleanup I guess.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

Give it a go, if you don't like it can always knock back down anyway right?

Yeah, I'll give it a try later. I don't actually come close to dying in story boss fights (it came close during Midgarsormr early on, though), it just feels bad when I spend a lot of time getting knocked around. And it feels good on the occasions I do manage to own enemies.

I think part of my problem might be that I don't properly prepare for Staggered periods. I usually only have a couple bars of ATB when the enemy is staggered, so I waste time trying to build more ATB while they're staggered. Maybe I should let other party members cap our beforehand. Or if I really wanted to prepare, could use Refocus, but I rarely find myself using that due to the opportunity cost. Does Refocus also increase ATB generation rate, or just the bar cap? If the latter, when would you want to use it?

One other unrelated question - what's the best way to do damage as Barret? Is Point Blank superior to one bar of Maximum Fury? Does the latter benefit from Bonus Rounds? Basically, how do you do good damage as Barrett? I mostly use mine as a caster/tank (Lifedrinker is very convenient).

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

Ytlaya posted:

I think part of my problem might be that I don't properly prepare for Staggered periods. I usually only have a couple bars of ATB when the enemy is staggered, so I waste time trying to build more ATB while they're staggered. Maybe I should let other party members cap our beforehand. Or if I really wanted to prepare, could use Refocus, but I rarely find myself using that due to the opportunity cost. Does Refocus also increase ATB generation rate, or just the bar cap? If the latter, when would you want to use it?

I can only speak for Remake currently so apologies if it's changed at all, but I've been learning to love Refocus and specifically saving ATB on everyone for staggers. Refocus seems to just subdivide the existing bar into thirds rather than two halves, so while it doesn't actually change anything about the accrual speed on segments it is faster because segments are smaller (correct me if I'm wrong anyone, but this is how it feels to me). It's been really great for me in fights because it means I can keep Cloud up at 3 bars, use focused lunge for big stagger buildup and still keep him with 2 bars banked and ready to go for infinity blade or whatever it's called to cash in on the tremendous bonus damage.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

One other unrelated question - what's the best way to do damage as Barret? Is Point Blank superior to one bar of Maximum Fury? Does the latter benefit from Bonus Rounds? Basically, how do you do good damage as Barrett? I mostly use mine as a caster/tank (Lifedrinker is very convenient).

I chuck bonus rounds on, use overcharge when he's near to filling up one bar and that usually fills it up two atb bars, then blast a maximum fury if against loads of little enemies or one big one that's about to be staggered potentially. There's some later weapon skills that give him some more options as well.

In general yeah I try and save atb up when something is close to being staggered or I switch around to the other characters and build them up a bit ready for the blastening, with most of them you can build it up quick enough to get two atbs and an ability off in the stagger window as well, like cloud has a big windup ability that takes 2 atb bars and I quite often fill them both up and still get it off in time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does any of the FF7 compilation stuff ever go into detail on the other planets in the solar system? The cutscene for (OG FF7 spoilers)the ult attack of the final boss just shows it as our solar system but I don’t think that’s consistent anymore with the portrayal of it in modern games

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Refocus will change the amount of ATB bars from 2 to 3, while keeping the max the same. So you get an ATB charge at 33/66/100% versus 50/100% of a bar. Using ATB stagger (especially when maxed) is also excellent for your slower ATB generators to get to max.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Refocus also makes Plasma Discharge even more bonkers. It's good! Be sure to keep note of which synergy abilities grant it and focus on using those, unless you can end a fight immediately with raw damage or badly need to spam spells.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Suggestions on how to best use Cait Sith’s skill that uses a skill of your equipped summon?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I haven't used most of the other good ones people are talking about, due to not keeping up with chadley's chores, but sonic boom is nice for being useable in air and giving you a quick attack/matk buff.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone get me a decent picture of Jules? I have a stupid idea that I want to make.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

RatHat posted:

Suggestions on how to best use Cait Sith’s skill that uses a skill of your equipped summon?

I really wanted to try to coordinate ChocoMog's self destruct with the Cait ability to self destruct his stuffed mog "when it leaves combat" but the couple times I attempted it, it didn't seem to be doing more damage than just the summon self destruct. But this idea has to be doable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Does any of the FF7 compilation stuff ever go into detail on the other planets in the solar system? The cutscene for (OG FF7 spoilers)the ult attack of the final boss just shows it as our solar system but I don’t think that’s consistent anymore with the portrayal of it in modern games

Not really. We know multiple kinds of alien life exists but it isn't clear exactly how far it travelled from.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of other kinds of life (Chapter 10 spoilers): was the lore that the Gi are straight-up from another world already established, or is that new for the Remake trilogy? Also: did I hear right that their world was "subsumed" by ours? Do we have some FF9-style "Terra eats other planets" thing going on or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Speaking of other kinds of life (Chapter 10 spoilers): was the lore that the Gi are straight-up from another world already established, or is that new for the Remake trilogy? Also: did I hear right that their world was "subsumed" by ours? Do we have some FF9-style "Terra eats other planets" thing going on or something?

It's new for the remake but it makes 100% sense for the game because it explains why the hell there's a tribe of angry ghosts in the world. I don't think they said that, just that they lost their world and came to the Planet but the Planet was like "Uh, okay, so, you guys are shitheads, I'm not inviting you into my lifestream."

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Holy poo poo gears and gambits is dreadful.

I just want the protorelic.

Edit: switched difficulty to easy mode just for that minigame because it is loving terrible

Frankston fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 11, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's new for the remake but it makes 100% sense for the game because it explains why the hell there's a tribe of angry ghosts in the world. I don't think they said that, just that they lost their world and came to the Planet but the Planet was like "Uh, okay, so, you guys are shitheads, I'm not inviting you into my lifestream."

Ah I found the lines I as thinking of

They seem to be using "star" to mean "world" the same way they do in FFXIV (I think Bugenhagen does this too?), but I'm not sure what "subsumed" means in the context of two worlds. It sounds like their world died and was in some way absorbed by Gaia? Or something?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

idk, i loving suck at this battle system, i'm getting my rear end kicked in chapter 2 by regular minions half the time because i'm just attacking air and the battle just ends because they die without me feeling like i actually did anything.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

GateOfD posted:

idk, i loving suck at this battle system, i'm getting my rear end kicked in chapter 2 by regular minions half the time because i'm just attacking air and the battle just ends because they die without me feeling like i actually did anything.

does the 'classic' setting still exist in ReBirth? in Remake that automates attacking/blocking IIRC leaving you to basically just handle the active commands, maybe you'd prefer that?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

nah that's even worse the characters just walk around barely doing anything and still get hit all the time

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
7R is still an RPG so as long as the enemy dies before you do, it's a victory. You can't really avoid damage 100% but you can mitigate it

Also chapter 2 is really early it takes time to get comfortable with the combat.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Got to Upper Junon. I feel like the game is cool, but I am not enjoying it to a phenomenal extent as some others. Still mostly having a good time. Some of my minor gripes:

1. Fort Condor started off neat but the last two maps really sucked
2. Yeah I don’t think there are any I-frames in the dodge, so I end up getting clipped by some fatass attack hitboxes. Trying to train myself to guard more
3. This game has entirely too much Chadley, kid I’m going to need you, and your friend, to dial it back a little, I feel like he has had quadruple more voiced lines than any one of my party members at this point

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m in the Junon map now and can I not teleport back to Grasslands? Nooooo

I feel like I got locked into that sooner than I meant to

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There's a side quest you can do at the Junon chocobo ranch that'll let you return to the Grasslands.

Rebirth likes to give you diegetic reasons for fast travel so each time you get to a new region, you have to do something to unlock the ability to return to the previous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Beating the Chocobo ranch side quest in Junon unlocks fast travel between regions