Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Only 11,000? I’m at 252,000.

At this point I don’t want to clean it up because it drives people insane if they look at my phone and see it.

Yeah you're right it's 110k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
When people say "Sorry, not sorry." Does this mean the same as saying "I'm not sorry"? In which case, why not just say "I'm not sorry"? I've seen more than one person use this phrase which leads me to think there's a second meaning I don't get, or they're quoting / referencing something.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

credburn posted:

When people say "Sorry, not sorry." Does this mean the same as saying "I'm not sorry"? In which case, why not just say "I'm not sorry"? I've seen more than one person use this phrase which leads me to think there's a second meaning I don't get, or they're quoting / referencing something.

It means you're sorry for not being sorry. It's a little dumb. It might be a reference to something, but I have no idea what. It's been a thing for years at this point.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

It's saying "I'm not sorry and gently caress you if you think I should be."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's saying "I'm not sorry and gently caress you if you think I should be."

That's what I figure it means. I wish they would just say that, instead.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Not for nothing, but I hate phrases where I know what they mean but they're meaningless on their face. Like people who say "not for nothing, but..." A supervisor of mine started EVERY sentence with that, I swear.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

credburn posted:

It's not as sassy

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

It means "I'm sorry that you are unhappy with how things have turned out, but if I had the chance I would not do anything differently. I recognise that the situation is not the way you would prefer it to be, but it is the way I want it to be and it's unfortunate that we can't both be satisfied on this occasion."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also it’s just usually used for silly poo poo like posting something stupid.

“I made a duck into a halo Spartan sorry not sorry”

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Henchman of Santa posted:

You can buy that poo poo prepared at the store.

ban this filth

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

credburn posted:

you should workshop this bit a skoosh more

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Americans calling wholemeal bread "wheat bread". What do you think white bread is made of?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's named whole wheat and shortened to just wheat bread in conversation.

Edit: sold as 100% whole wheat bread which I think is a protected name with standards to what breads can be sold under it.

Guyver has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Mar 9, 2024

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tiggum posted:

Americans calling wholemeal bread "wheat bread". What do you think white bread is made of?

It's just shorthand, my guy. It just means whole wheat. That simple.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not a very rye observation

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

But it has a germ of truth

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
More like Branfire.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Is whole wheat bread and wheat bread the same thing?

edit to complain about something: I know that this is just another example of words changing because language is fluid, etc., etc., but I hate it when a video game is called "isometric" because the camera kind of floats above the characters. Isometric is a specific way of illustrating something in 2D. If it's in 3D, it can't even be isometric. Second, even if it is 2D, the camera being overhead doesn't make it isometric. It's a fixed perspective, and has to be at a specific angle for this to work; all thee axis have to have the same angle.

credburn has a new favorite as of 07:34 on Mar 10, 2024

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

credburn posted:

Is whole wheat bread and wheat bread the same thing?

Yes

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It can get tricky in the US. Sometimes it will say something like Multi-Grain Wheat Bread and that will be some whole wheat mixed with processed wheat and other stuff where it's practically the same as white bread. Safest thing to do is look specifically for Whole Wheat in the name and ingredients list.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

So I write a lot about construction and architecture.

The word "erection".

It's apt. It's the most appropriate word at hand for its purpose.

But it's also the word "erection". And I know context is key or king or whatever but...

I could do with at least one synonym at the level of accuracy as "erection" itself.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
People saying "without further adieu"

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Brawnfire posted:

The word "erection".

You find yourself with erection at hand often in your line of work and your complaining? How do you think we feel down at the dick sucking factory?

This probably didn't help your problem at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The lids of vegemite jars aren't water-tight so when I want to make broth with the scraps left in an almost-empty jar I can't just put hot water in there, put the lid on, and shake it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Tiggum posted:

The lids of vegemite jars aren't water-tight so when I want to make broth with the scraps left in an almost-empty jar I can't just put hot water in there, put the lid on, and shake it.

That sounds like knowledge that was earned the hard way...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Which style of jar? I feel I've done that exact thing without issue.

Maybe you have super power of shaking poo poo like a Bunnings paint mixer and just haven't realised it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Which style of jar? I feel I've done that exact thing without issue.
Just the standard glass jars with the yellow plastic lids. Even with very gentle shaking, a lot of (hot) water leaks out.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Maybe you mixed up your Vegemite jar lid with your Bega peanut butter lid. They're similar in colour and fit, but not quite right.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

The word "erection".

But it's also the word "erection". And I know context is key or king or whatever but...

I could do with at least one synonym at the level of accuracy as "erection" itself.

When I did my OSHA 30 class for construction there was an entire section called “steel erection” and it was so hard to get through because my inner 14 year old kept making me think of dumb jokes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Maybe you mixed up your Vegemite jar lid with your Bega peanut butter lid. They're similar in colour and fit, but not quite right.

Nah, it's the right lid. I don't have anything else with the same kind of lid and I've experienced this problem several times, with several different vegemite jars.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When I did my OSHA 30 class for construction there was an entire section called “steel erection” and it was so hard to get through because my inner 14 year old kept making me think of dumb jokes.

Mook 1: Is that-?
Mook 2: It couldn't be-?
Captive: Yes! It's the-
The Steel Erection: STEEEEEL ERRRECTION!!!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

If people found erection/erector funny there wouldn't have been a whole toy line named that.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ I am just barely old enough to have had an Erector set as a kid. I think it was a pumpjack. There are so many childishly funny ways to read those last two sentences.

Something that bugs me a bit is 'funny' short videos that are just someone filming themselves talking to themselves, cutting back and forth between two angles to indicate that they're 'playing' two characters having a conversation. Sometimes they'll wear a wig in one shot to really drive it home. Very rarely are these actually funny at all. They strike me as self-indulgent more of the time, and dare I say, cringe.

Some people can do it to good effect though - Atun-Shei Films is pretty good at actually playing two distinct characters, but that channel has, you know, a point.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Brawnfire posted:

The word "erection".

'Illicit Discharge' is a very common term in my little niche of environmental regulation and I feel your pain.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Mister Speaker posted:

^ I am just barely old enough to have had an Erector set as a kid. I think it was a pumpjack. There are so many childishly funny ways to read those last two sentences.

Something that bugs me a bit is 'funny' short videos that are just someone filming themselves talking to themselves, cutting back and forth between two angles to indicate that they're 'playing' two characters having a conversation. Sometimes they'll wear a wig in one shot to really drive it home. Very rarely are these actually funny at all. They strike me as self-indulgent more of the time, and dare I say, cringe.

Some people can do it to good effect though - Atun-Shei Films is pretty good at actually playing two distinct characters, but that channel has, you know, a point.

My girlfriend gets served up those back-and-forth videos on TikTok all the time and they drive me up the wall. Its always a huge multi-part STDH spiel about someone very calm and polite who works in hairdressing and their absolutely horrible moron of a client. I hate it enough when a story is filled with obvious lies and embellishments in a real life conversation-- Why anyone would willingly stick around to hear the whole thing is beyond me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It could be worse, sometimes they're just pretending to have one side of a conversation and it always sucks so bad.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hardcordion posted:

My girlfriend gets served up those back-and-forth videos on TikTok all the time and they drive me up the wall. Its always a huge multi-part STDH spiel about someone very calm and polite who works in hairdressing and their absolutely horrible moron of a client. I hate it enough when a story is filled with obvious lies and embellishments in a real life conversation-- Why anyone would willingly stick around to hear the whole thing is beyond me.

I recently said something to this extent to my partner, who said "yeah i agree i hate those too," to which I asked "so why do you keep watching them in their entirety??" to which she said "idk lol"

:mad:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Riatsala posted:

'Illicit Discharge' is a very common term in my little niche of environmental regulation and I feel your pain.
Our design team uses Figma.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Riatsala posted:

I just wanted you to know this phrase is intruding on my thoughts regularly now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Brawnfire posted:

I just wanted you to know this phrase is intruding on my thoughts regularly now.

Then you're ready for a career in MS4 management!