Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Is there anything worth stealing or morphing? Things don't live very long once they're in Morph territory and I don't know if I should bother fishing for them or nor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

TheHoosier posted:

Is there anything worth stealing or morphing? Things don't live very long once they're in Morph territory and I don't know if I should bother fishing for them or nor

I was wondering this. In the first game you could steal a weapon for Aerith, but I'm not observant/patient enough to thoroughly read every enemy assessment.

It seems like steal gets you bonus items from a lot of stuff but nothing different.

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
How can you tell if you've learned a weapon's unique ability yet? It's surely somewhere in the dizzying array of menus but I couldn't see it. Cheers!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Trip Hazard posted:

How can you tell if you've learned a weapon's unique ability yet? It's surely somewhere in the dizzying array of menus but I couldn't see it. Cheers!

Weapon ability has a yellow check mark next to it in the Weapon equip screen.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

The bar will be full and have a checkmark on the equipment screen
Also, I believe it’ll lose the small dot in the upper left on the command menu in battle too

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TheHoosier posted:

You can steal/morph rare materials and craft some stuff a little earlier than you’d normally be able to but that seems to be about it

Note there is one character that can gain buffs after stealing something

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

The problem with Fort Condor (on normal at least--I haven't tried hard) is that all the difficulty comes from running out of time and none of it comes from the enemies themselves. Losing to the enemy would feel a lot less bad than losing to the clock.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

For all the minigames, I can't believe there isn't a fishing minigame.

Fishing in part 3 or we riot. :colbert:

Chicken lady

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Thank god for the Retry battle option because I had an enemy bug out and become invincible and the last checkpoint was likely half an hour before

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Just played through the second section where you play as Zack. What the gently caress is going on there? Are answers of any kind coming?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

lines posted:

Just played through the second section where you play as Zack. What the gently caress is going on there? Are answers of any kind coming?

Play to find out.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

ran into a small glitch with the corel protorelic 3rd step. was able to pick up the cactuar rock but it didn't let me press up to use it. the door also wasn't glowing and I think the same thing causing this also caused enemies to just not spawn.

reload from an earlier autosave fixed it, but just a heads up in case anyone else runs into this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got a CTD in the middle of Jenova LIFE, which was fun.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Reeeeeally not liking the segment of solo Cait Sith. These scale enemies are loving me up

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
It's kind of hard for me to judge I feel about this game.

At some points I'm amazed by the breadth and scope and other times I'm kind of disappointed by the low quality of some of the content. The highlight of Part I was spending time with the team and when this game does that, it's great, regardless whether it's silly or serious.

However, the world map sections are very poorly done precisely because they lack that. There's no banter at all, the team's relationships don't grow, and you just run around doing very boring ubisoft level copy-paste content. I think the side quests alone would have been enough world map content without the other junk. Then there's the mini-games, which amaze me in that they had time to put all this stuff in the game, but I've come to realize the predominant feeling I have upon completing about half of them is " "thank god I never have to do that again". Some of them also feel very mean spirited, like Jules' rhythm game switching from left --> right to right --> left randomly with every retry.

This would all work a lot better if I wasn't a completionist who feels compelled to engage with any and all content sent in front of me. If you are someone who is a'ok with simply skipping the world map stuff and the bad minigames

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Reeeeeally not liking the segment of solo Cait Sith. These scale enemies are loving me up

Probably the worst section of the game imo.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The mini games would be ok if side quest progression wasn’t tied to some of them.

It’s a shame because the character bonding moments are great. For some I just gave up and watched them on YouTube.

A skip button after some failed attempts would do wonders.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The game's open world areas would be 500x better if Chadley and MAI were a vending machine with no dialogue and doing the open world objectives triggered two or three lines of party conversation or one of your team commenting on the nature of the region/info.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Probably the worst section of the game imo.

Yeah is there some trick I’m not getting with the Adjudicators? It’s either they reflect everything (definitely NOT what the assess text says) and I get destroyed or they activate a one shot ability out of nowhere

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I still don’t know got to actually pressure and stagger half the bosses and enemies in this game despite finishing it and assessing as many as I could.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yeah is there some trick I’m not getting with the Adjudicators? It’s either they reflect everything (definitely NOT what the assess text says) and I get destroyed or they activate a one shot ability out of nowhere

They swap between magic and phys reflect everytime you pressure them using the opposing type. Still annoying as poo poo though.

e: That was the gimmick for the same type of enemy when you find in the battle arena / simulator. I kinda just fumbled my way through the Cait Sith part like you are currently doing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 12, 2024

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The side quests where members of the party chat while you’re traveling are the best ones, and the entire game could’ve used party chit-chat randomly while you were walking around

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wow @ Chapter 12. They really put their entire rear end into this game huh

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Sockser posted:

The side quests where members of the party chat while you’re traveling are the best ones, and the entire game could’ve used party chit-chat randomly while you were walking around

Yuffi busting Cloud’s (and the audience’s) balls about Tifa clones was an all time FF moment for me.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

JBP posted:

The game's open world areas would be 500x better if Chadley and MAI were a vending machine with no dialogue and doing the open world objectives triggered two or three lines of party conversation or one of your team commenting on the nature of the region/info.

yeah Chadley can be cute, like many of the weirdos you meet and then move on from, but the way he is at the beginning and resolution of all those open world activities is really too much. Like you said, give me a party member commenting instead (as we're walking/riding away; don't lock me in the Chadphone animation 500 times throughout the game please)

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 12, 2024

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Seph posted:

Yuffi busting Cloud’s (and the audience’s) balls about Tifa clones was an all time FF moment for me.

I also loved whenever Yuffie was involved with a quest and she would bound ahead of everyone in the party like the huge kid she was. I've never seen that kind of thing in other games. Great character stuff.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

When you pressure them they become immune to the type of damage you put them into the pressure state with and get a new ability depending on what type you did. They leave that state only when staggered. The assess is completely accurate. You might be getting confused because Cait Sith's music notes do magic damage not physical.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Also if you're frustrated, try using Cait's random damage moves and see if you hit the jackpot. Those saved me a lot of time in that segment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

UP AND ADAM posted:

yeah Chadley can be cute, like many of the weirdos you meet and then move on from, but the way he is at the beginning and resolution of all those open world activities is really too much. Like you said, give me a party member commenting instead (as we're walking/riding away; don't lock me in the Chadphone animation 500 times throughout the game please)

Instead of the speaker nattering at me just give Barret the enemy intel job. "drat, that's a big rear end bird! I'd normally shoot it in the rear end but I think we need to go for the wings... Then the rear end."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah if Cait Sith's limit is up always hit that poo poo I've seen it stagger bosses from like a third of a bar and then keep doing damage

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

You might be getting confused because Cait Sith's music notes do magic damage not physical.

This was precisely it. Next boss was hilariously easy once I got the correct materia in comparison stil

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah if Cait Sith's limit is up always hit that poo poo I've seen it stagger bosses from like a third of a bar and then keep doing damage

I beat a full strength summon on almost entirely Cait combos on the moogle and Roll the Dice

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wish I could change the FOV a small bit. Zoom that camera out, man.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

JBP posted:

That would have been way, way better than what we got

Instead of the Chadley/MAI power hour, have Barret or someone comment on the lore you read or the enemies you fight. They already have good party banter, why not give us more of that

Also wtf were they thinking by having MAI give bestiary dumps during the fight

MechaX fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 12, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Chadley/MAI talk would be a lot more bearable if all the collecting didn't prompt me to stop and talk to my sidequest gun all the time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Chadley and Mai’s VAs were probably cheaper, that’s all.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I didn't care in the last game, but this game I grew to resent always having Cloud be in the party when he was available. I hope next game we can finally just pick all three party members instead of Cloud being mandatory.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I think the open world exploration would definitely be improved by both:

- Having more banter with your party members unrelated to side quests.
- Not interrupting the player to talk to Chadley and MAI. For example, if they have to talk on a regular basis, let them talk while the player maintains control and can still run around instead of making the player stand still and look at a looping animation of Chadley's or MAI's face.

Gologle posted:

I didn't care in the last game, but this game I grew to resent always having Cloud be in the party when he was available. I hope next game we can finally just pick all three party members instead of Cloud being mandatory.

Yeah normally this doesn't bug me, and I do really enjoy playing as Cloud in this, but I do find myself wishing I could use three other characters sometimes, more often than I do in other RPGs where you can't remove the protagonist. Every character is so distinct and fun to play that I just want a little more room to experiment.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pollyanna posted:

Chadley and Mai’s VAs were probably cheaper, that’s all.

I sincerely doubt this was it, especially since the Japanese side would be making that decision. It's a very clear narrative extrapolation of Chadley's role in the first game and makes more sense than Barrett telling you to activate towers that he knows about for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chadley should go to hell