Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Catching up again from a lost Sunday night, it's A Sketchy Life for March 8, 1928! Our cover tonight comes from Edmund Davenport.

Ed Graham:

Victor DePauw:

Gaspano Ricca:

Marge:

Art Helfant:

Yes, totally a thing back in the day, thanks for asking.

Bruce Bairnsfather:

Herb Breneman:

In case you're not a Dollop listener, here's a little context.

And Al Frueh riffs on a modern marvel that was just coming into its own.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 12, 2024

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

At least we're going to move on to a new story at last in Mary Worth

Goddammit.

Current MST3K riff sticking my head for Mary Worth: "Oh, no, guys...what if this is still the pre-credits sequence?"

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

EasyEW posted:

And Al Frueh riffs on a modern marvel that was just coming into its own.

For some reason out of everything, I can't fathom a time when the zipper was some hot new gadget.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Parsley in the Corner

Sadly I had to leave out a bit of fun with language at the center of this chapter’s title – she calls her special fried rice “onee-chahan,” a portmanteau of “oneechan,” big sister, and “chahan,” fried rice.
Also, some pretty economical storytelling from Q-Rais here – the way the little brother’s face lights up when he learns tonight’s fried rice has a little bacon in it.

I like this portmanteau :3: I'm liking Parsley so far haha

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

its style, if you will

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

And that big arc was, no joke, 14 years ago. There's been one really cool bit since then that I can remember: when Heloise brought down the Nomad's jet by kicking him in the head during takeoff. But even that was over five years ago now.

There was that time Phantom and Chatu gave each other ebola

It was a long time ago. The details are fuzzy.

He can do both.

Murdstone posted:

At least we're going to move on to a new story at last in Mary Worth

Goddammit.

The longer a Mary Worth Victory Lap goes, the happier I get. It's a character flaw, I know.

Luann

Oh, sweet baby Jesus. Everybody duck and cover! We gotta Luann pregnancy arc incoming!

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alhazred posted:

You're definitely reading the version with the least amount of nudity:

* For the ghost who creeps into your room and watches you sleep.

:psyduck:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Oh, sweet baby Jesus. Everybody duck and cover! We gotta Luann pregnancy arc incoming!
"You gonna be in here? I was gonna pee on this stick here in the kitchen but I guess the living room will do."

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Giant Ethicist posted:

Yeah, I had to do it so it's named after her rather than what's in it. Heck, sticking with a clumsy literal translation and calling it Sister Fried Rice would have similar problems.

("You mean to tell me a parsley fried this rice?" "Well, yeah.")

Maybe "fried rice, big-sister style!"

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Bleak comics today, folks. :smith:

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 09, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

An outlaw bandit Sureshot may be, but even he knows the importance re. the politeness of extending one's pinky while blasting an oppressive governor.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Kennel posted:

What's in the box?

We're about to find out!

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 11, 1962)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/11/04

Medical Ethics and Hat Shopping 10/20-22/52

Smokey Stover 4/17/60

Everyday Movies 4/30/37

"My daughter sure is smart -- she holds a responsible position with the Hot Dog Lunch counter."

This one is more like a first draft than Wortman's usual standard. Deadline pressure?

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 4/19-21/43

Closer Than We Think! 4/17/60

Selachian fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 13, 2024

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Miss Bliss Cracks

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Bad Machinery

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(3/30/1994)

(3/31/1994)

Ziggy

(10/5/1971)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, October 1-4, 1984

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 4/17/60

A great example of why I love this feature. Front and center, a 100% accurate technological prediction, and then in the background is one that's entirely a matter of style (they could have made a swimming pool like that even then, it'd just be stupidly expensive and impractical) and also a flying car because why not. :allears:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

daddy daze absolutely does not have the gravitas to pull off whatever it's trying to do this week

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Oooh, that disembodied shadow in Flash.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

daddy daze absolutely does not have the gravitas to pull off whatever it's trying to do this week

reminds me of how that final CTRL ALT DEL story was, where suddenly it wasn't all wacky monkey cheese vidjagames one offs or mini stories about how awesome vidjagames were, but about loving Terminator style end of the world. And of course the ultimate manchild sacrificing himself to save everyone. And his friends made a videogame religion after his death in his honor.

Like....what? Daddy Daze, you are a slice of life humor comic. Don't Ba your way into this.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

you don't want to know about Souperfund

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I love how absolutely gormless Ronal is at all times.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

JethroMcB posted:

Bad Machinery

:sickos: there it is, the pinnacle of Bad Machinery.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cowslips Warren posted:

reminds me of how that final CTRL ALT DEL story was, where suddenly it wasn't all wacky monkey cheese vidjagames one offs or mini stories about how awesome vidjagames were, but about loving Terminator style end of the world. And of course the ultimate manchild sacrificing himself to save everyone. And his friends made a videogame religion after his death in his honor.

Like....what? Daddy Daze, you are a slice of life humor comic. Don't Ba your way into this.

Of all the times CAD overstepped, I'm at a loss how that was the example that came to mind.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 18, 1936)

Peanuts (March 15, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire, which I thought was a repeat yesterday, but no, we're just hiding out on Hallucination Mountain or something.

Li'l Abner (January 23-25, 1936)

Thimble Theater (October 14, 1940)

Out Our Way (March 20-22, 1944)

And today's bonus: your local Coca-Cola bottler reminding you to send musical instruments to the boys overseas. (timg'd for the home front's favorite slur for the Japanese)

Even weirder is where the corporation explains the word "Coke". Or maybe this is just them saying "NO, YOUR GROCER ISN'T SELLING COCAINE. Not again, anyway."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Crankshaft's fixation on packages arriving continues to be worrying and not endearing in the slightest.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhcEXk_pJ9c&t=30s

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Wicked Gnomes

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm starting to think Pylon Pete may actually be more peculiar than Dr. Hormone. And that's saying something.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I'm starting to think Pylon Pete may actually be more peculiar than Dr. Hormone. And that's saying something.

None of us are safe when he's around.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

JethroMcB posted:

Bad Machinery

ayyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

I said earlier that rushing through these early parts of story might be better, but now we haven't spent time to establish any real relationship between the characters, so our hero randomly ends up acting like a tantrum baby when the only female character has a date. A couple of extra strips with flirting would have helped.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

Kennel fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 12, 2024