Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mega Comrade posted:

Seems pretty clear to me it's just a women recovering from surgery who wants a little privacy while she heals. But no , country has to go all frothy mouthed about it.

Should have quit while your were ahead

She's had the same surgical operation that Anna Boleyn and Catherine Howard had.

Keeping ahead can be hard in the royal family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

notaspy posted:

Here is a good reason to care (if she is alive):

There is currently a woman being held against her will by the state and no-one is willing or able to investigate this. At best she is being coerced into going along with her imprisonment.

If this can happen to someone so public how on earth can we say this country is safe for women?

Would you be interested in buying a bridge?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:f5:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The garden bridge shall henceforth be a goon project.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

notaspy posted:

Here is a good reason to care (if she is alive):

There is currently a woman being held against her will by the state and no-one is willing or able to investigate this. At best she is being coerced into going along with her imprisonment.

If this can happen to someone so public how on earth can we say this country is safe for women?

Agreed, it was an (admittedly brief) international cause celèbre when those Saudi princesses were doing a runner, this has the potential to be more sinister. Not sure if the Royals are quite up to chopping up journalists yet tho

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Agreed, it was an (admittedly brief) international cause celèbre when those Saudi princesses were doing a runner, this has the potential to be more sinister. Not sure if the Royals are quite up to chopping up journalists yet tho

More sinister than a man beheading his own teenage niece in a car park and forcing her boyfriend to watch?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nicholas Witchell tugging his shirt nervously.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

More sinister than a man beheading his own teenage niece in a car park and forcing her boyfriend to watch?

Then inexpertly killing him, too, taking multiple sword blows because they were some random prince, not an executioner.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
People surprised we are talking much about this stuff seem to forget the “what colour was The Dress” when it comes to digital photo analysis that poo poo can go on for ages. (It was blue and black).

As for Diane Abbot, I will hear nothing bad against her. Drinking a mojito after a day in the underground is something anyone I respect would do.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

Plus releasing an additional photo of the back of her head as proof of life, its way beyond credibility. More interest than their family have gotten since Liz died and the vast majority of people would be satisfied by a 5-second video or something. Maybe they just think that's beneath them but even that is hilarious.

the BBC had a different picture of her in the car with her face visible from god knows when :rolleyes:

this shite and the body language in the car says william has assaulted her to the point of needing plastic surgery imo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Every time Abott flubs a sentence I give zero shits and frankly 99% of the people criticising her say dumber poo poo on purpose on a sub-hourly basis.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Then inexpertly killing him, too, taking multiple sword blows because they were some random prince, not an executioner.

Wtf, have you got a link to this story please?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Reveilled posted:

And honestly we could get much more bang for our buck if we replaced them with actors. We could hire new kings, queens and princesses at a fraction of the cost and get them to do the tours of the palaces for the tourists.

brian blessed is the natural king imo

just look and him, listen to him, he's so kingy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

By helping the normal take precedence over the natural, physicians have also contributed to populational biopolitics. We have become, Foucault writes, “a society of normalization.” One important mid-twentieth-century sexologist went so far as to name the male and female models in his anatomy text Norma and Normman (sic).
saw this and thought of crispix

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and alan rickman can be the weird, evil prince who tries to do a usurpin... ooh he died :(

in 2016, jeez

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
miriam margolyes for kindly but bossy old queen

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly I suspect the real story isn’t as dramatic as William assaulting her and her needing facial reconstruction, or her being in a coma as speculated by that Spanish news outlet.

It’ll be something boring like “she’s sick of William loving around and wants a divorce, and the royals are waving lawyers around”

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Starbucks posted:

(It was blue and black).

Mods plz

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

brian blessed is the natural king imo

just look and him, listen to him, he's so kingy

He was, Blackadder 1.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1767271520995270667

What a oval office

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
also i find the grumpy scotnats being grumpy about everyone discussing kate theories even more entertaining than the kate theories :laugh:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

He was, Blackadder 1.

I KNOW :mad:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Who the gently caress do I vote for now there are two openly fascist parties and a third that will mindlessly go along with whatever they propose if it gets them so much as a mention in the local paper

grobbo
May 29, 2014
There's a generation of white people who've developed this kind of joking-but-also-genuinely-resentful reverse exceptionalism when it comes to any prominent black figures they've had to grow up alongside, which in their minds is not the same thing at all as racism.

So of course Hester isn't racist! He just thinks Diane Abbott is thick. It's not because she's black, he'd say the same thing if she was white.

Oh, and Obama is smug. And Tiger Woods, he was arrogant. And Mandela, Mandela wasn't as saintly as he's painted out to be. And Serena Williams is mannish. And Meghan Markle, she's just awful. And Jay-Z is a lowlife. And did you know that the Africans were also slave traders? And-

Singling out and bullying people of colour for failing to know their place is part of the apparatus of white supremacy, but I don't think the media and political discourse is really able to engage with that head-on so I guess we'll get Keith demanding the Tories return the £10 million for a week, a few rounds of "well, he apologised", and we'll be done.

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

Surprise T Rex posted:

Honestly I suspect the real story isn’t as dramatic as William assaulting her and her needing facial reconstruction, or her being in a coma as speculated by that Spanish news outlet.

It’ll be something boring like “she’s sick of William loving around and wants a divorce, and the royals are waving lawyers around”

....I mean, maybe? But have you considered that they've perhaps placed Rose Hanbury's brain into Kate's skull and need to keep her hidden until the head stitches are healed enough to easily conceal. The location of Kate's brain is unknown and - frankly - unimportant.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

notaspy posted:

Wtf, have you got a link to this story please?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mishaal_bint_Fahd_Al_Saud

Very famous story, although mostly because ITV made a docudrama about it ("Death of a Princess") and were made to issue a groveling apology to the house of Saud for offending them.

(Which was parodied by Not the Nine O'clock News, who framed it as "if you want to execute your princesses then go right ahead, as many as you like. You can have a couple of ours, if you want.")

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

WIth the Hestor stuff, I love how racists often start off by saying they aren't racist. A really lovely example of this is an irrelevant cannabis activist grifter who tried to be a politician at one point.

https://peter-reynolds.co.uk/2010/01/04/the-state-of-our-nation/

quote:

I am not a racist. My oldest friend is a jet black Jamaican. However, on New Year’s Eve, when I drove down from my parents’ house in Hertfordshire to see that self-same friend in Maida Vale I was horrified at what I saw on Kilburn High Road. Even more so than when I lived there, nearly three years ago, it has been swamped with immigrants.

It deserves posting because of this amazing top comment that the idiot replied to

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 12, 2024

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

And Flash Gordon.
And Phantom Menace.
And every second thing hes ever done.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Convex posted:

Who the gently caress do I vote for now there are two openly fascist parties and a third that will mindlessly go along with whatever they propose if it gets them so much as a mention in the local paper

Greens, SNP/Plaid if applicable, or whatever funky little group of leftist weirdos might be running in your constituency (nb make sure they're not sex pests)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Some have windows, some have swords but in polite society you have unfortunate car accidents because in that way, it implies there's no one to blame.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

He's so good as Caesar in I, Claudius. Makes me wish his son Matt Berry (in Toast at least) had done some SERIOUS ACTING in around say, the Snuff Box era, would have captured the same vibe.

(did he? point me at it)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Dabir posted:

In the same way that fingernails on a blackboard sounds educational?

This makes me wonder what causes that feeling. Of all the things, for example, the sound of cardboard scraping does that to me, especially if I'm the one scraping it, but I've never heard of anyone else having the same experience. Why does it also seem ten times worse after I cut my nails too? Bizarre.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

WIth the Hestor stuff, I love how racists often start off by saying they aren't racist. A really lovely example of this is an irrelevant cannabis activist grifter who tried to be a politician at one point.

https://peter-reynolds.co.uk/2010/01/04/the-state-of-our-nation/
But how did he know they were immigrants :thunk:

Rarity posted:

What a oval office
He got one thing right, Albert Hirschman pointed out that 'common sense' is when you ignore any analytic or academic thought and the opinions of anyone outside of your in group and just go for base kneejerk reaction.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man employed as lawyer arguing that issues should be resolved based on "common sense"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

sebzilla posted:

(nb make sure they're not sex pests)

:britain:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Phrakusca posted:

....I mean, maybe? But have you considered that they've perhaps placed Rose Hanbury's brain into Kate's skull and need to keep her hidden until the head stitches are healed enough to easily conceal. The location of Kate's brain is unknown and - frankly - unimportant.

They should never have let Will watch Poor Things and get ideas

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

happyhippy posted:

And Phantom Menace.

Just imagined if he'd voiced Jar-Jar instead of the Gungan leader (was he also called Bos Nas?)

Whole trilogy would have been much improved.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

QUI-GON'S ALIVE!!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Borisism-Nasserism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

He's so good as Caesar in I, Claudius. Makes me wish his son Matt Berry (in Toast at least) had done some SERIOUS ACTING in around say, the Snuff Box era, would have captured the same vibe.

(did he? point me at it)

I'm sorry, back up. Matt Berry is his son?!