Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pollyanna posted:

Square-Enix ain’t no Nintendo in open world regards.

Thank god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TeaJay posted:

This is bold talk when Dragon's Dogma 2 is just 10 days away, though

FF7 is probably one of my all-time favourites, that's why I'm incredibly wary of any changes. Mostly I've been probing how much changes there actually are. It is kinda alarming that people are kinda skirting around the fact going "Yeeeaaaaaahhh, there are quite a few .... " but I do realize that problem might be my unrealistic expectations on how Square will approach this kind of game. It is after all a remake and not a remaster.

FF7 being one of my all-time favs is why i'm incredibly supportive of any changes tbh.

Anyway, this whole Remake Project is seemingly keeping the structure and general direction of the narrative but having a bunch of additions and expansions with some differences from the existing material. The games have done some set up for totally new narrative beats that are basically screaming "there are def going to be bigger changes with major impacts down the line, promise" but nothing that's really materialised in any actual big plot difference so far at least from where i'm at in the game. A lot of the additions are really good imo, particularly when further exploring the characterisation of the main party but there is also absolutely some new stuff or reimaginings that don't work for me or feel like a step down from the OG.

I think Remake and Rebirth have felt super rewarding as a big fan of the OG, the games are absolutely made for people who loved FF7 and probably the best things about them are all the small touches that only people who already know the game are going to pick up on. But also even though have been pretty faithful to the original FF7's tone and identity its absolutely a new take on the material and even the most faithfully adapted scenes will feel different due to the new context around them from all the additions and changes (minor and major) throughout the games.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Chadley is a certified GOAT. If you don’t like him, you’re wrong.

correct, part 3 should just be entierly Chadley introducing you to a gauntlet of minigames while MIA rattles off the complete history of each game through the controller speaker and any other bluetooth speaker in your home - the histories take x10 longer to discuss than the game takes to play and cannot be skipped

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cosmo Canyon plot speculation - two life-streams (which, as "memories of the planet," are literally also timelines) stem from the lifestream being transformed via industrial use, as Tifa very conspicuously speculates. I think source material has even explicitly referred to a "white/black lifestream."

I guess you could sorta explain "some, but not all, dead people being in the other timeline" in this way (since it's kinda luck whether yout lifestream was processed by Shinra), though the presence of people like Elmyra and Heiddeger in both timelines kinda seems like it contradicts this.

Harrow posted:

None of the open world stuff really bugs me that much. I think they could've let Chadley and MAI just talk while you explore rather than making you stand and look at the screen, but otherwise it's fine.

I've never been particularly bothered by open world stuff like that though, if the core of the game is fun and I like hanging out in its world and with its characters. And all of that is very true of Rebirth so it's working great for me.

The main reason I like the open world stuff is because the zones themselves look pretty and aren't overly-big (so they're dense with stuff to do) + there isn't much of it. It's basically just an excuse to be a tourist of the zone and do some extra combat, and you seemingly aren't rewarded that much for completing everything.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 12, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Remake and Rebirth are games made with more love of the original than previously thought possible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TeaJay posted:

FF7 is probably one of my all-time favourites, that's why I'm incredibly wary of any changes. Mostly I've been probing how much changes there actually are. It is kinda alarming that people are kinda skirting around the fact going "Yeeeaaaaaahhh, there are quite a few .... " but I do realize that problem might be my unrealistic expectations on how Square will approach this kind of game. It is after all a remake and not a remaster.

I think people are skirting around it because they want to avoid spoiling things, either for you or other people in the thread.

What I can say with limited spoilers is this: the creators have said that the Remake trilogy is largely adapting the story of the original, with a lot of expanded elements and a new mystery woven through it. This is pretty much accurate. Probably about 95% of both Remake and Rebirth are loving, wildly lavish recreations of things from the original. If you're catching yourself thinking, "Surely <thing> is too silly to have been kept for such a high-budget HD remake with such realistic graphics," you're wrong. It's there, and probably even sillier than it was in the original.

There are story changes. Some of them are just reimaginings--the whole Wall Market sequence in Midgar is reimagined and probably the best part of Remake--while others are clearly trying to provide some twists to keep FF7 veterans guessing from game to game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The only complaint I have is that sometimes the loving recreations are TOO lavish because the devs have no concept of holding back.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The only zones I had a problem chadding out were Gongaga and to a lesser extent Cosmo Canyon because most of the exploration points are based around finding chocobo launch pads or hard to notice climbing ropes.

Gongaga music is really relaxing and generally lacks difficult fiends so that helped.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Maybe this is a useful perspective for TeaJay:

I'm a huge fan of the original. I was 11 when it came out and it was the first game I was super hyped for before release and followed in magazines and all of that. It's one of my favorite games ever. On top of that, I don't really like the "new mystery" element of the story changes in the Remake trilogy. I've tried to like it, but I don't. I know a lot of people do, and a lot of people have tried to convince me to like it, but I just haven't been able to get there.

Even then, I loving love Rebirth. I liked Remake a lot, but I adore Rebirth. It does things I really didn't think were possible for Square Enix anymore, things I wasn't sure they still had in them. They absolutely nailed the character writing, the humor, the relationships, the charm. And even though I still bellyache about some of the new elements, I am having fun with them in Rebirth.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

JBP posted:

What was the beef with Shinra mansion lol? You just call the moogle and bash thing until they die.

I wanted a resident evil mansion and got box basement, really.

They don't even let you go upstairs anymore.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm not sure that I'm enjoying Cid Highwind the good natured hayseed.

Also I just got it chapter 12 and this game has another 50 hours doesn't it lmao.

Caidin posted:

I wanted a resident evil mansion and got box basement, really.

They don't even let you go upstairs anymore.

The boxes were pretty annoying that's true.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JBP posted:

I'm not sure that I'm enjoying Cid Highwind the good natured hayseed.

I'm curious what this will be like in part 3. In the original, a good amount of Cid's assholery and abrasiveness was either a) specific to the Rocket Town segments, or b) amplified in translation. It makes sense that he'd be translated more closely to the original's Japanese script, where (aside from his abuse of Shera) he's more "a little rough around the edges but a good guy" than "abrasive rear end in a top hat."

If Rocket Town and his treatment of Shera are the same or similar, it could be interesting, because we're getting a reverse of the way Cid is introduced in the original. In the original, we see his darker side first, before he joins the party and becomes more friendly. Here, we're getting the opposite--we get friendly nice guy Cid before we see abuser Cid. Could make that even more effective, if they're still going that route.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Cosmo Canyon plot speculation - two life-streams (which, as "memories of the planet," are literally also timelines) stem from the lifestream being transformed via industrial use, as Tifa very conspicuously speculates. I think source material has even explicitly referred to a "white/black lifestream."

I guess you could sorta explain "some, but not all, dead people being in the other timeline" in this way (since it's kinda luck whether yout lifestream was processed by Shinra), though the presence of people like Elmyra and Heiddeger in both timelines kinda seems like it contradicts this.

I'll be honest, the whole Whisper thing was super exciting at the end of Remake because you essentially beat a villain - canon itself. Yeah, they may have helped you but they also, you know, got Avalanche and a ton of sector 7 people killed. One of them even has a super gruesome death that's worse than anything any of them got in the OG. So them having these whispers save one and coming back in a different form doesn't make me too enthusiastic. The game has to make you really want to help something that got people you have an emotional attachment to killed for seemingly no reason other than "it's what happened in the original game." I just hope they don't go "well actually, we need to restore the status quo now" after all that.

It's the creeping fear I've had since chapter 9.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Harrow posted:

I'm curious what this will be like in part 3. In the original, a good amount of Cid's assholery and abrasiveness was either a) specific to the Rocket Town segments, or b) amplified in translation. It makes sense that he'd be translated more closely to the original's Japanese script, where (aside from his abuse of Shera) he's more "a little rough around the edges but a good guy" than "abrasive rear end in a top hat."

If Rocket Town and his treatment of Shera are the same or similar, it could be interesting, because we're getting a reverse of the way Cid is introduced in the original. In the original, we see his darker side first, before he joins the party and becomes more friendly. Here, we're getting the opposite--we get friendly nice guy Cid before we see abuser Cid. Could make that even more effective, if they're still going that route.

See I'm kind of hoping they go there and we discover the real guy, but I kind of doubt it. It would be a strong character arc to go from likeable pilot bro to massive arsehole to redeemed dragoon that makes my materia level up quickly.

I'm thinking the level of dickhead will max out at him having basically abandoned Shera and being sour about his dreams.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

That sure is some stuff that happened in chapter 9. I kind of wish the trailer didn't spoil any of that at all. And I'm wondering when/if the party will reach a breaking point and decide that Cloud is just too drat unstable to keep around, even compared to the original.

Bored Yuffie making up lyrics to her theme song is great. Yuffie is great.

Gongaga isn't as bad to navigate as I'd assumed based on the thread, but it isn't great either. I'm terminally exploration brained though so it may take me a while before I make it to the airstrip.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JBP posted:

See I'm kind of hoping they go there and we discover the real guy, but I kind of doubt it. It would be a strong character arc to go from likeable pilot bro to massive arsehole to redeemed dragoon that makes my materia level up quickly.

I'm thinking the level of dickhead will max out at him having basically abandoned Shera and being sour about his dreams.

Yeah that's entirely possible. They've remained true to every other character, but Cid is kind of a different story. No other party member has the same kind of darkness depicted on-screen, so it's not hard to imagine they might want to shy away from that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Harrow posted:

Yeah that's entirely possible. They've remained true to every other character, but Cid is kind of a different story. No other party member has the same kind of darkness depicted on-screen, so it's not hard to imagine they might want to shy away from that.

I hope they do stick with the old characterisation. One of the things I like about FF7 is that the crew either aren't really your regular heroes or are an interesting spin.

Except for Red, he's just a straight up chosen one good boy of legend.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Really interesting by the stuff that Yuffie mentions in Mt. Corel about the interim Wutai government, which is very clearly some kind of Shines false flag, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lines posted:

Really interesting by the stuff that Yuffie mentions in Mt. Corel about the interim Wutai government, which is very clearly some kind of Shines false flag, right?

Look at Viceroy Sarruf's name very closely.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

lines posted:

Their leader is an anagram of Rufus plus a letter

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Look at Viceroy Sarruf's name very closely.

I actually went lol during the scene where GLENN throws to Viceroy Sarruf.

"Who is this Sarruf!? An invisible man!?" Brilliant stuff.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Valleyant posted:

Their leader is an anagram of Rufus plus a letter

Wait, really? I thought it was Sephiroth doing a Maycombe Bloom tier alias since it was Viceroy Seraph for a bit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

Wait, really? I thought it was Sephiroth doing a Maycombe Bloom tier alias since it was Viceroy Seraph for a bit.

The Japanese version apparently makes it more obvious where his name is basically Viceroy Sufur.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The Japanese version apparently makes it more obvious where his name is basically Viceroy Sufur.

lmfao Rufus is such a dork

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Harrow posted:

lmfao Rufus is such a dork

He gets a funny look on his face when Glenn does his ISIS video stream

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I'm curious how they're going to deal with the open world in the next game. Like I don't think you want retreads of the same zones, but at the same time I suspect these madmen are actually going to try to make some kind of authentic Highwind experience so you want something there to do probably. It'd be cool if the "open world" stuff was more global in nature and not zone-by-zone.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

Maybe this is a useful perspective for TeaJay:

I'm a huge fan of the original. I was 11 when it came out and it was the first game I was super hyped for before release and followed in magazines and all of that. It's one of my favorite games ever. On top of that, I don't really like the "new mystery" element of the story changes in the Remake trilogy. I've tried to like it, but I don't. I know a lot of people do, and a lot of people have tried to convince me to like it, but I just haven't been able to get there.

Even then, I loving love Rebirth. I liked Remake a lot, but I adore Rebirth. It does things I really didn't think were possible for Square Enix anymore, things I wasn't sure they still had in them. They absolutely nailed the character writing, the humor, the relationships, the charm. And even though I still bellyache about some of the new elements, I am having fun with them in Rebirth.

That does give it some perspective, yes. Despite all my reluctance towards change, it's likely that I will be trying out Rebirth at some point (read= cheaper).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chomposaur posted:

I'm curious how they're going to deal with the open world in the next game. Like I don't think you want retreads of the same zones, but at the same time I suspect these madmen are actually going to try to make some kind of authentic Highwind experience so you want something there to do probably. It'd be cool if the "open world" stuff was more global in nature and not zone-by-zone.

They are. There was a Washington Post interview late last week where they discussed this very thing.

It sounds like they're going to use the same map (in the interview they mention how having all these areas built means a lot of work is already done for part 3) but expand it and fill in the parts in between to accommodate flying.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Chomposaur posted:

Personally I'm expecting an X-2 style map and mission style but I'm very open to being surprised.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's the article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/video-games/2024/03/06/final-fantasy-vii-rebirth-platform-exclusive/

quote:

Hamaguchi told The Post that he’s already forming a game design document with key elements for the finale. Much of the work for the third game is already done, thanks to all the world construction done in “Rebirth.” A key challenge for the final game is rebuilding its world to accommodate a massive zeppelin-like airship called the Highwind, introduced in the third and final act of the original 1997 game. Hamaguchi said it was important for him that “Rebirth” featured an explorable map like the 1997 game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Give Cloud the ability to skydive and glide

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I started to write a reply that it sucked in recent FF games that they took a freely explorable world and flying around in an airship out of the equation then realized my image of a recent FF game was FFX where this happened the first time coming from IX.

Carry on, I guess :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TeaJay posted:

I started to write a reply that it sucked in recent FF games that they took a freely explorable world out of the equation then realized my image of a recent FF game was FFX where this happened the first time coming from IX.

Carry on, I guess

Sometimes I remember FFX came out 23 years ago and I immediately turn to dust

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X and 13 are basically the only mainline games to not have an open world or world map and 13 has Gran Pulse at least

Edit: and Remake, natch

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Rebirth gives me hope for the next big FF project. Ive played for about 50 hours and still not tired of it. Some of the minigames are excessively hard but I just skipped those and never looked back.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah the biggest thing that's going to stick with me about Rebirth isn't actually specific to Final Fantasy VII. It's just that Rebirth, more than any recent FF game, has felt Final Fantasy as gently caress. Big explorable world, lots of variety in what you do and how you do it, heavy focus on character and charm, action combat system that still incorporates strong RPG elements and even a version of ATB, etc.

Rebirth is what I want a modern Final Fantasy to be.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I had resolved to just pick and choose what side content I felt like doing but then the game introduced a museum that displays all the little knick-knacks you pick up finishing things...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are a few minigames that I just don't find fun at all so I did the bare minimum (enough to complete the quest and/or get a special reward like a weapon) and moved on. Just a hard pass on maxing out sit-ups, gliding, or Fort Condor, to name a few.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He should totally go the Wild Arms 3 route and have colossal monsters to fight with your airship whose monster parts can be used to upgrade it and add more weapons and whatnot in it. The sandcraft and lombardia were really cool in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

ImpAtom posted:

Give Cloud the ability to skydive and glide

If they don't let Cloud hop off the Highwind and sky surf his buster sword directly down into a Malboro 20k feet below then what are we even doing here