Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

ded posted:

if the end of episode 4 doesn't win you over i dont know what to say

I mean it does, but I'm still crossing my arms and side-eyeing it and expecting to go UGH multiple times an episode. I can't deny the production though.

And it's making me want to try natto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Josh Lyman posted:

Yabus is annoying though.

He's the character I'm finding to be the most fun. When he's not on screen I'm loudly asking "Where's Yabu?"

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Alright, welp. Time for poo poo to get wild. This show fucks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stev posted:

He's the character I'm finding to be the most fun. When he's not on screen I'm loudly asking "Where's Yabu?"

Poor Yabu, he just wants to climb the social ladder, but the guy one run up ahead of him is the loving Roadrunner, and he's Wile E. Coyote, as it turns out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo what a(nother) great episode. Toranaga's dumbass son getting so easily manipulated by Yabu's nephew was both frustrating and also fantastic to watch happen.

Also lol at:

Sees Toranaga arrive: We should have brought better sake :ohdear:
Sees Toranaga immediately leave: We should have brought the cheap stuff :mad:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 13, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

I guess this could be approaching some dangerous fanfiction line, but maybe with this creative team they could be trusted to do a season 2 covering the siege of osaka castle.

Given how much the marketing material seems to be playing up lady chacha (I forget her clavell name) relative to her role in the book, maybe they're thinking about it

This will just speedrun the Game of Thrones S7 quality drop, IMO.

The showrunners are doing an excellent job, but in all the talking about how dated and horny Clavell is, people seem to be forgetting that most of why this show is good is Clavell actually being a really loving good writer.

Jehde posted:

I kind of hate this show.

I love the premise, the acting, the costumes, the sets, the attention to historicity and the details put into it, just the sheer scope of what they're accomplishing in filming this sort of thing.

But I hate the scheming plots shoehorned in every few minutes every episode.

I get that it's probably all part of the book, but so much of it just makes me yell at my TV for how dumb it comes off to me. It reminds me of Game of Thrones in the worst way, and I wish it didn't.

I don't doubt that I'm in the minority (of probably just me) that wishes this stuck to simpler plots with less scheming. It's likely just the way the plots are shoehorned in everywhere. They're probably fine in the grander narrative arc, I just hate them being introduced constantly in the way they are.

I'm bad at enjoying drama, I wish I appreciated backstabbing and random sex more.

Blame the Japanese! Most of this is based on real events.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

I regret to inform you that that constant scheming is a feature, not a bug, of all three incarnations of Shōgun, the book, the 80s mini and this show. Who's screwing over who and how they do or don't get away with it is THE backbone of the narrative.

Lol, wait until he wikis the real history

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I like the way they changed up what Blackthorne does for them- in the book he seems to be a kind of do-it-all European who also seems to be involved in land battles and i thought it was a good change to have him try and bullshit his way through until he manages to go to something he would conceivably know.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

stev posted:

dude knows how to live that warlord life. kiss some highborn rear end, boil a couple christians just to see what happens and watch your family bang the help, true bushido.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yabu's great, an absolute idiot going through betrayal city.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Jehde posted:

I kind of hate this show.

I love the premise, the acting, the costumes, the sets, the attention to historicity and the details put into it, just the sheer scope of what they're accomplishing in filming this sort of thing.

But I hate the scheming plots shoehorned in every few minutes every episode.

I get that it's probably all part of the book, but so much of it just makes me yell at my TV for how dumb it comes off to me. It reminds me of Game of Thrones in the worst way, and I wish it didn't.

I don't doubt that I'm in the minority (of probably just me) that wishes this stuck to simpler plots with less scheming. It's likely just the way the plots are shoehorned in everywhere. They're probably fine in the grander narrative arc, I just hate them being introduced constantly in the way they are.

I'm bad at enjoying drama, I wish I appreciated backstabbing and random sex more.

I mean, there's already a thousand slow-hang Ghibli-adjacent Japanese TV shows and movies.

Actually, now that I think about it, if you haven't already, look up The Twilight Samurai (also starring Hiroyuki Sanada), The Hidden Blade, and Love and Honor films from 20 years ago by director Yoji Yamada. High-quality, but less plot-within-plot-within-scheme samurai movies.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I mean, there's already a thousand slow-hang Ghibli-adjacent Japanese TV shows and movies.

Actually, now that I think about it, if you haven't already, look up The Twilight Samurai (also starring Hiroyuki Sanada), The Hidden Blade, and Love and Honor films from 20 years ago by director Yoji Yamada. High-quality, but less plot-within-plot-within-scheme samurai movies.

The 1980 miniseries is an adaptation that leans more toward the action-adventure elements of the story rather than Japanese politics, and is much more strictly the Tale of John Blackthorne.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Panzeh posted:

Yabu's great, an absolute idiot going through betrayal city.

I love how completely naked his schemes are to basically everybody :allears:

If he was just an idiot it wouldn't work, but right from the first episode up to now we've seen that while obviously he wants to live and succeed and will do pretty much anything to ensure that, he's not a coward, he isn't beyond putting his ego aside when necessary, and he's also completely prepared for the notion of failure and his death if he ends up cornered. A great character and I love the performance that Tadanobu Asano is giving.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Panzeh posted:

The 1980 miniseries is an adaptation that leans more toward the action-adventure elements of the story rather than Japanese politics, and is much more strictly the Tale of John Blackthorne.

If one's looking for a stranger-in-old-Japan story, then it's pretty much Shogun or Last Samurai. I don't think anybody's itching to make the story of Basil Hall Chamberlain or Lafcadio Hearn. Is there a Yasuke movie?

Anyway, Episode 4. I'm impressed at how they managed to lift directly from the book but still not let it step into blatant Orientalism. Mariko's explanation of the eight-fold fence is, in the book, just her introducing Blackthorne to the inscrutable ways of Japan (at least as I remember it), but in the show, there's a definite hint of, "Hey, you're not the only one going through some poo poo right now, so maybe chill." As confirmed in the outdoor pool scene later.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 12, 2024

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

If he was just an idiot it wouldn't work, but right from the first episode up to now we've seen that while obviously he wants to live and succeed and will do pretty much anything to ensure that, he's not a coward, he isn't beyond putting his ego aside when necessary, and he's also completely prepared for the notion of failure and his death if he ends up cornered. A great character and I love the performance that Tadanobu Asano is giving.

Was about to post the exact same thing re: Yabu. The scene where he takes out his blade and looks Anjin right in the eye establishes him early on as a guy who is ready to die at any moment, which makes his YOLO approach to life much more meaningful and authentic. Dude has one shot and he's going to make the most of it.

Also, I was skeptical that they'd be able to pull off the romantic aspect of the plot but I think the actors really sold it. When they let their guard down, they have a good chemistry. Jarvis has a goony earnestness about him while Anna Sawai really pulls off the vulnerability. Unexpected power couple.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 12, 2024

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yabu is my favorite. Such a great actor who I’ve been watching forever but he’s got that real sparkle in his eyes.

It was very basic scene and if it wasn't a really good actor handling it, it would definitely come off as corny but when Hiromatsu arrives in the first episode to the village where the ship is and is like of course you'll be handing over all the weapons on board etc and Yabushige kind of laughs to himself before saying "of course, I was going to present this as a gift" is just a fun scene. Very telegraphed but very fun.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 12, 2024

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Oh man, I just realized that we're probably not going to get village life delights such as the rotting pheasant/dead gardener and the threat to wipe out the village if Blackthorne doesn't learn Japanese in six months that are in the book.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 12, 2024

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Oh man, I just realized that we're probably not going to get village life delights such as the rotting pheasant/dead gardener and the threat to wipe out the village if Blackthorne doesn't learn Japanese in six months that are in the book.

We might not even get Buntaro's return, though honestly Blackthorne's threat to do hara-kiri is a pretty good moment. Usually when they have a moment they like they recontextualize it, though, kind of like "if I win", where they avoided a scene of Blackthorne explaining the Dutch Revolt to Toranaga.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
fuji sama is going to be japan's greatest gunslinger, without ever actually touching a gun.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

boo boo bear posted:

fuji sama is going to be japan's greatest gunslinger, without ever actually touching a gun.

Having Fuji give the idea to hang onto the guns was a pretty slick way to give her some character.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Fujiko is maybe the most batshit person in the entire story and hell I don't blame her.

I loved the actress's light :shepface: when she pulls the gun, she managed that without going over the top really well

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The way she barked out the "Anjin-sama!" was her knowing what happens when hot-headed husbands do stupid things. She's not going through that again.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/Tom_Rowsell/status/1767153813339664758

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Japanese got it right on the first try :hai:

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Shut it down, boys. Apparently Blackthorne's pistols are late-1600s flintlocks instead of late-1500s doglocks. Will Western media ever get Western culture right? Sigh.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

IIRC the pheasant thing was very ahistorical and sorta cringe so I think that's a fine cut. They did go out of their way to introduce the gardener so maybe they can come up with a better sequence of events for him to die and blackthorne to feel bad. The love story and blackthorne starting to actually speak japanese do require some stuff like that to create the feeling of time passing

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Yeah, I'm not going to miss it if they don't have it. But for some reason it's one of the biggest memories I have from the whole book.

Meanwhile, I don't even remember the stuff that happened in the final scene of this episode. I just looked it up in my copy and even though it's different, it's still a similar story beat and involves the same characters and goes on for pages and pages.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Shut it down, boys. Apparently Blackthorne's pistols are late-1600s flintlocks instead of late-1500s doglocks. Will Western media ever get Western culture right? Sigh.

literally unwatchable

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I also reread that section last night because I certainly didn't remember ishido's messengers getting turned into paste by cannons. And indeed they simply get turned into paste by 20 matchlocks at point blank instead. But overall they did a good job adapting it with a lot of the implications intact, while cutting out like 5+ really long conversations between all the players making everything explicit

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

No Mods No Masters posted:

I also reread that section last night because I certainly didn't remember ishido's messengers getting turned into paste by cannons. And indeed they simply get turned into paste by 20 matchlocks at point blank instead. But overall they did a good job adapting it with a lot of the implications intact, while cutting out like 5+ really long conversations between all the players making everything explicit

Yeah I think it was a lot smarter to have Blackthorne know cannons than some fresh new musketry tactic as muskets were well understood in Japan at the time he came. Also it's a great scene.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I really appreciate the ambiguity of the situation of the kid taking matters into his own hands and kicking off the war himself. Because Torranaga's such an inscrutable labyrinth of a character his intentions are sometimes hard to gauge, especially with him just loving off like that and leaving his son in charge. So it's like, was this some kind of secret test for his son? If it was, did he pass or fail or it? Was he counting on the kid to go rogue and fire the first shot and start the war so he had some plausible deniability with the regents if things went to poo poo for his side? Because he knew the war was inevitable, he was just hoping to forestall it, but if Ishido's goons showed up on his turf, there was no stopping it. Plus using his son to keep Yabu in check and blunt his power grab and disloyalty IS a masterful chess move.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/EmmaTolkin/status/1765219956143370607

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FX has a nice featurette about the costume designs, including that outfit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7k65stCQJE

The show is doing a fantastic job buffing out all the "This was obviously written by British/American/Australian dude from the mid-20th century who was wrestling with some WWII trauma and thought Ayn Rand was just dandy, but was also trying to be respectful in his own middle-aged horny teenager way" stuff, and balancing Toranaga's story and Blackthorne's story.

At least in the book, the horny teenager stuff was in part to debunk the 'sexless asian' that was already starting to take hold in American cinema and TV and highlight they could be perceived that way due to colonial influence from England.

That and struggling with what he believed to be his own latent homosexuality.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess the funny thing about yabu (broad spoilers) is the situation pretty much tends to push him more into toranaga's camp, if he just accepted that and committed he would have probably come out great having done mostly the same things. His riding the line pretty much only hurts him in the end. Quintessential congratulations, you played yourself character

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cowards

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

Yeah I think it was a lot smarter to have Blackthorne know cannons than some fresh new musketry tactic as muskets were well understood in Japan at the time he came. Also it's a great scene.

As a fan of one Jas. Aubrey, Captain, RN I was pretty happy to see Blackthorne work out "Oh, right, accurate naval gunnery!" I have no idea if cannon circa 1600 would have been that accurate out to that range but I'm willing to forgive it.

Also, I don't remember if they've said precisely when Blackthorne left England , but I checked for William Adams, who sailed in 1598, so he could have seen a well-known play in London about tragic lovers. Not 100% sure about cursed kings though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What a great episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Cojawfee posted:

What a great episode.

Agree, even with Toranaga barely in it.

I like how Yabu was initially set up as this dangerous schemer and how it's now increasingly clear just how out of his depth he is.