Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I've been playing Final Fantasy VII.

Like, actual Final Fantasy VII, because I still don't have a PS5. It's pretty good. I'm actually liking it! This guy are sick!

Which version are you playing? I've heard there are some mods on PC that clear up the background textures which sounds kinda cool. I'm wondering how much I'd like the original having played Remake first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think it'd be pretty funny to you just how fast you get out of midgar compared to the elaborate version we got in remake.

It's still an incredibly good game and rightfully deserves its reputation, but it does have some cruft due to being such an old rpg. Still holds up shockingly well though.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Herlock Sholmes is the GOAT.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Jolo posted:

Which version are you playing? I've heard there are some mods on PC that clear up the background textures which sounds kinda cool. I'm wondering how much I'd like the original having played Remake first.

The PC version with the retranslation and some of the less intrusive mods is the best way to play ff7 imo.
However, for a first playthrough, I feel the ps1 is the way to go, whether that's emulated or on original hardware.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Morpheus posted:

My only complaint with Chronicles was just how much...I don't know what it's called, but there was never a straightforward line of dialogue. Naruhodo would point something out, and his assistant would make a quip, then he'd reply, and she'd make a jokey comment, and he'd be like "wuhhh" and she'd giggle and he'd lament his situation or something. Or it's be like that in court, or while with the little Herlock girl assistant, or whatever.

I know the other games have a similar dynamic, but I just found it far more common in Chronicles, and it became exhausting. I put the game down halfway through the second case of part 2 for a while as a result.

Oh yeah also Soseki Natsume is the most irritating poo poo and when he showed up the second time I groaned out loud. I would've rather let him be declared guilty.

I know you're talking about Chronicles, but I've noticed this started happening after the original trilogy. Previously, the games were pretty straightforward even when they were jokey, but later the writing had a large amount of fluff and everything had to be talked about 2-3x times longer than necessary.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Morpheus posted:

My only complaint with Chronicles was just how much...I don't know what it's called, but there was never a straightforward line of dialogue. Naruhodo would point something out, and his assistant would make a quip, then he'd reply, and she'd make a jokey comment, and he'd be like "wuhhh" and she'd giggle and he'd lament his situation or something. Or it's be like that in court, or while with the little Herlock girl assistant, or whatever.

I know the other games have a similar dynamic, but I just found it far more common in Chronicles, and it became exhausting. I put the game down halfway through the second case of part 2 for a while as a result.

Oh yeah also Soseki Natsume is the most irritating poo poo and when he showed up the second time I groaned out loud. I would've rather let him be declared guilty.

I agree with all of this. I bailed in part 2. I could not take anymore long winded fluff or Soseki Natsume.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Jolo posted:

bone emulator posted:

The PC version with the retranslation and some of the less intrusive mods is the best way to play ff7 imo.
However, for a first playthrough, I feel the ps1 is the way to go, whether that's emulated or on original hardware.

I'm doing emulated American PS1 version right now. I thought about trying the PC version but I heard they cleaned up a lot of the rough edges and made Barret swear less and I was like "gently caress that, I want the authentic experience for my first run".

Captain Invictus posted:

I think it'd be pretty funny to you just how fast you get out of midgar compared to the elaborate version we got in remake.

It's still an incredibly good game and rightfully deserves its reputation, but it does have some cruft due to being such an old rpg. Still holds up shockingly well though.

Yeah it really struck me how fast they were hitting all the beats; I could have sworn there was a longer cooldown period between Seventh Heaven and hitting Reactor 5, then all the initial Aerith stuff flew by and suddenly I was climbing a giant wire up to the Shinra building. I really don't mind though, I think it does a good job acquainting you with the game's systems before throwing you into the wide open world and it doesn't feel like it overstays its welcome.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I think there's something very interesting about being able to tell a story twice after a couple decades of retrospective. Being able to say "Well, when we made the game before we wanted this story beat here, but really in retrospect if we put it here, we can emphasize the relationship of these characters while adding a bit of a pause in the pacing between-" is something I bet a ton of game developers would love to do.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think it'd be cooler if the ff7 remake was headed by non-ff7 people. Kinda like how movie remakes work

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Todd Howard's Final Fantasy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

New Contra game is out now, and looks like it might actually be good?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jay Rust posted:

I think it'd be cooler if the ff7 remake was headed by non-ff7 people. Kinda like how movie remakes work

Final Fantasy 7, now with an all female cast

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

*looks at the state of movie remakes and reboots*

lol, lmao even, no thank you.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

The FF7Re series is so much more interesting as this remake/sequel/metatextual commentary on itself, canon, and creators. It would be really hard for anyone else to create this sort of layered object.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I said come in! posted:

*looks at the state of movie remakes and reboots*

lol, lmao even, no thank you.

what?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

The FF7Re series is so much more interesting as this remake/sequel/metatextual commentary on itself, canon, and creators. It would be really hard for anyone else to create this sort of layered object.

I guess that's it then. "a commentary on itself" is anti-fun to me

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm trying to think of examples but those kinds of movies have been on the "completely ignore" list for so long it's hard to think of one that isn't a decade old. Some of those probably have diminishing re-remakes by now too.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

I said come in! posted:

The demo was really good. I’m definitely going to pick it up.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

AngryBooch posted:

everyone wants to be Evangelion

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I guess that's it then. "a commentary on itself" is anti-fun to me

it's essentially fanfiction for people who are diehard FF7 fans, which is why I can't really get into the new ones---I have no attachment to the original games so I've been lost on all the changes and metanarrative fixes. It's a clever idea to differentiate itself from other unneeded remakes though (RE4 and Dead Space remakes I still haven't played because after beating the original ones like 10 times, I don't really need to play a new version, old ones were just fine)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

yeah its looking pretty hype
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6UIskJN1oE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rise of the Ronin previews are out and I'm seeing comparisons to Way of the Samurai so I am watching very closely

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

I said come in! posted:

It's good fun and runs nicely on PC, but like most Run-and-guns you'll beat it in under 2 hours. The game also "plays it safe" and doesn't add very much to shake things up compared to recent sidescrollers, and takes the same route with its aesthetics and music, which leads to the whole experience feeling a bit like a generic Saturday morning cartoon (whereas I want more Shattered Soldier-style dystopian body horror). In essence, it's more Contra 4/Rebirth with dialogue awkwardly shoved-in at points.

I'd say it's worth picking up now if you have 3-other folks who love run-and-guns (and are either in your house or can deal with remote play) and you enjoy challenges/alternate runs to squeeze your money's worth out of 2 hours of content, otherwise wait for it to hit a sale as 35 bucks is a bit much for the length.

edit: Wayforward's totally gunning for remaking Hard Corps after this, if all the references are anything to go by

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Waffleman_ posted:

Rise of the Ronin previews are out and I'm seeing comparisons to Way of the Samurai so I am watching very closely

melinda....

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Danny O'Dwyer tried publishing a game last year but the publishing climate is very bad ( also the game doesn't look that good, like maybe fun for a little while but not something I'd buy outside of a bundle)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRVsrVZrfyg

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Any good Space Opera flavor games around nowadays. No Starfield or NMS. Looking for real poo poo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Any good Space Opera flavor games around nowadays. No Starfield or NMS. Looking for real poo poo

Everspace 2 is really fun to play but the story is...just kinda there
I've never played Citizen Sleeper or I Was A Teenage Exocolonist but goons liked those pretty well

does Helldivers 2 count as space opera

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 13, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Trailer for the cancelled Spider-man game has leaked.
Search Youtube for "Spider-man The Great Web" and you'll get it.

It looks cool, but sorta glad they didn't end up going this route with how Suicide Squad turned out. Vibe gave off strong 'Sinister Six invades from other dimensions' GaaS poo poo.
Insomniac Spider-man works best as a single player game.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

Everspace 2 is really fun to play but the story is...just kinda there
I've never played Citizen Sleeper or I Was A Teenage Exocolonist but goons liked those pretty well

does Helldivers 2 count as space opera

I don't think either Citizen Sleeper nor Teenage Exocolonist count as space opera. They're largely intimate stories contained to one location.

The only notable recent ones I think are
Everspace 2
Chorvs
Jedi Survivor
Creeper World series
Cobalt Core

Homeworld 3 is coming out soon

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you can't even have operas in space, there's no loving air to sing with

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Hwurmp posted:

you can't even have operas in space, there's no loving air to sing with

That can't be true, there's an Air in Space Museum

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the air went extinct, that's why there's museums about it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gaius Marius posted:

Homeworld Remastered's still around if you haven't played it

Skip the player's patch the first time through

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the Rec's but not seeing anything I'm interested in. Not interested in RTS, all the 4X space games have massive flaws, and space fighter sims don't do it for me. :(

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Heard the Guardians of the Galaxy game is actually pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdMiY9MEeMk

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It is indeed good, and there's plenty of loving around in the spaceship between planets for that good space opera feel

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

m

mm

mass

mass effect

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Infinitum posted:

Heard the Guardians of the Galaxy game is actually pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdMiY9MEeMk

It was free on Epic at one point so I grabbed it but idk, it just feels like a kinda crappy tps with character action rpg elements. Also the controls are rear end no matter which you go with, mnk or controller. Even the menu UI felt awkward to navigate around.

My lack of interest in Marvel (except Spiderman) aside, even the basics of the combat alone put me off. And then there's the awkward convo choice sections... eh. It feels like it's trying to do too much as a game. Maybe I'll try again later.

Def fits the Space Opera theme though from what little I saw.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

[Pikmin 4 chat] Since when is Captain Olimar's voice this deep? Why doesn't he have this voice in Smash Bros??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i am dying to play dragon's dogma 2 but i can't yet and after watching vaati's latest video (having literally taken a nap halfway through) i got an urge to play elden ring again

turns out i still really don't like elden ring