Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Appropriately, Malaka is Greek for rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

lol

quote:

“It feels like the pandemic is starting to wind down a little bit."

A normal thing to say during / after the second worst wave ever.

quote:

"The current circulating strains aren't quite as deadly as they were."

"Aren't quite as deadly" because society already created 1.2+ million corpses ahead of time. And oh yeah we were still just generating 2600 more of them a week.

I'm mostly struck by just how empty this article is. There's no content inside. It's like an abandoned shopping mall with a confusing ad for "Better" inside.

milkandbananas
Jun 24, 2006

My plan is to hug and kiss those cute little wrinkles on your brain!
Hi thread. long time lurker, first time poster here.
I'd like to thank you for all your efforts in trying to keep people informed and safe in these poo poo times.

I have a job interview tomorrow and am feeling quite nervous about it regarding masking. should I mention it at all or wait to see if they inquire? I just don't want them to think I'm irresponsibly doing the interview while sick, although it seems many people would find that less concerning than masking for protection nowadays.
any guidance/anecdotes or even some positive words would be a great help.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

milkandbananas posted:

I'd like to thank you for all your efforts in trying to keep people informed and safe in these poo poo times.

I have a job interview tomorrow and am feeling quite nervous about it regarding masking. should I mention it at all or wait to see if they inquire? I just don't want them to think I'm irresponsibly doing the interview while sick, although it seems many people would find that less concerning than masking for protection nowadays.

IMO let them ask, you'll be fine and then just say No if they ask if you're sick. depending on where you're interviewing asking randos about their health is a real quick way to HR's shitlist

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

milkandbananas posted:

if they directly ask you something like "are you sick" and you want to be ~~~normal~~~ about it, you could potentially say something like "my [house-mate-of-some-type] just stopped testing positive 2 days ago, so i'm being careful just in case i got it."

good luck :')

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Soap Scum posted:

if they directly ask you something like "are you sick" and you want to be ~~~normal~~~ about it, you could potentially say something like "my [house-mate-of-some-type] just stopped testing positive 2 days ago, so i'm being careful just in case i got it."

good luck :')

that might be interpreted as having Covid and lying about it

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

that might be interpreted as having Covid and lying about it

same with wearing a mask, though, in lots of people's minds lol

+ "but i tested before coming and i'm negative" should resolve

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

"My (person) is immune compromised and I want to be careful; that's part of why I'm interested in (company) and their robust work-from-home culture."

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

I think I would mention it. There's too much risk of being unfairly judged as sick, and/or a paranoid weirdo. I'd say that I'm wearing the mask because a family member is immunocompromised and I don't want to bring an illness home. [This can be true depending on your personal definition of "family" and "immunocompromised."]

That will also set expectations that you'll continue to wear it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hungry Squirrel posted:

"My (person) is immune compromised and I want to be careful; that's part of why I'm interested in (company) and their robust work-from-home culture."

It sucks that this is probably the go to at this point, because you shouldn't have to justify it. I feel like poo poo every time I trot out the "excuse".

But something along these lines is probably what you need to do. We don't know much about your exact details. But you probably don't want to end up with a bunch of chuds making GBS threads on you at work because you managed to get through the interview by insinuating you're only masking up for a few days after a likely exposure, and then they see you keeping it up.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah other posters are right it's probably better to bring it up proactively and promote yourself as virtuous rather than weird

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

and another thing: my wife is not horrible. please dont put in the newspaper that my wife is horrible.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

You could just go another tack to it. Just tell them that you're concerned about all the air pollution and all the various nasty things in the air such as brake dust, coal byproducts, mold spores, and microplastics.

I mean, I am concerned about that too irl, but it's a bit more acceptable to others for some reason

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Free idea: reversible t-shirt where one side says DON'T WANT TO SMELL MAGA BUTT and the other says DON'T WANT TO INHALE VACCINE SHEDDINGS, change as appropriate when crossing county lines.

(I'm also starting a new job soon and sympathize.)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I didn't mention it during my last job interview. Neither did any one else, and I got hired.

Masking is protected here by CalOSHA, though. So companies of a decent size aren't going to say anything.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i don't think you should mention a thing about masking. if asked, lie: you are immunocompromised, or a spouse/partner is. keep it simple. you don't want to get into a conversation about it or make them think you have ideas about rights or safety or whatever.

don't worry about starting off with a new employer by lying to them. they're lying to you, too.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

WrasslorMonkey posted:

and another thing: my wife is not horrible. please dont put in the newspaper that my wife is horrible.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

NeonPunk posted:

You could just go another tack to it. Just tell them that you're concerned about all the air pollution and all the various nasty things in the air such as brake dust, coal byproducts, mold spores, and microplastics.

I mean, I am concerned about that too irl, but it's a bit more acceptable to others for some reason

I feel like this would be considered less normal unless there is visible smoke in the air

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

milkandbananas posted:

Make a (bad) joke about it. "I'm not sick. We're just the last of the paranoid COVID holdouts. hahaha"

I know masking is actually the smartest play out there, but job interviews aren't about honesty. The media has been portraying the COVID cautious as mentally ill hypochondriacs. You need to put a lampshade on it, and this simultaneously lets you clarify A) I'm not sick and B) I'm not crippled by fear and your choice not to mask is perfectly valid.

Again, this interview isn't about honesty.

Hungry Squirrel posted:

"Hmmm, I liked this candidate but I bet they have to take a lot of time off to care for their loved one. Also it might raise our group insurance rates. Pass"

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 22:49 on Mar 12, 2024

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

mawarannahr posted:

I feel like this would be considered less normal unless there is visible smoke in the air

Do you not remember all the wildfires last summer lmao

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
"Taking off your mask is how they get you," don't clarify who 'they' are. Everyone in America has a they.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

milkandbananas posted:

I would just mask, not say anything and if anyone asks you just say "my grandma/aunt/uncle etc have cancer and I interact with them regularly"

The cancer line shuts people the gently caress up asap.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Do you not remember all the wildfires last summer lmao

Some northern minor league baseball teams got moved to Florida for over a fuckin month due to the smoke

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Some northern minor league baseball teams got moved to Florida for over a fuckin month due to the smoke

Sounds like a lockdown.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

You may or may not remember Paul Alexander, the last man in the United States who used an iron lung ever since he was paralyzed by polio in 1952. The Guardian wrote an article about him in the early pandemic, back when society pretended to care about the disabled:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/26/last-iron-lung-paul-alexander-polio-coronavirus

Anyway, he just died from COVID.

https://twitter.com/citrusdriad/status/1767646914743345495?t=WMwNWl9nuH18AoRfpXjZWg&s=19

U-DO Burger has issued a correction as of 02:31 on Mar 13, 2024

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

U-DO Burger posted:

You may or may not remember Paul Alexander, the last man in the United States who used an iron lung ever since he was paralyzed by polio in 1952. The Guardian wrote an article about him in the early pandemic, back when society pretended to care about the disabled:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/26/last-iron-lung-paul-alexander-polio-coronavirus

https://twitter.com/citrusdriad/status/1767646914743345495?t=WMwNWl9nuH18AoRfpXjZWg&s=19

I wasn't aware he was able to get out of the iron lung for short amounts of time just by breathing awesomely, that's really cool.

I toured a medical history museum maybe a year ago, and they had an iron lung machine in there. There was a little kid asking about it, and subsequently, polio, and the docent explained that (and I know this sounds like I'm setting her up for a dunk, but this is literally word-for-word what she said) it was a disease that some people got over, but others suffered with their whole lives. You would think that this would produce some introspection, anyway, I was the only one wearing a mask.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

I would just mask, not say anything and if anyone asks you just say "my grandma/aunt/uncle etc have cancer and I interact with them regularly"

The cancer line shuts people the gently caress up asap.

yup, mentioning anything cancer related is the get out of jail free card of dealing with this poo poo

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Longtime lurker, perpetual masker. Finally got got at work, I suspect due to unannounced air handling maintenance during work hours. Paxlovid and Prednisone course complete, feel mostly fine but stuffy and still positive.

Every major chain pharmacy, every urgent care in the greater metro area no longer offers covid PCR testing. I had to make a doctor's appointment and even then after they assured me I could get one if I came in, tried to say they didn't have any available and I'd have to go to an emergency room. I flipped my poo poo about why they would lie and not call and cancel the appointment, I could not believe they would risk exposing all the people in the waiting room, the staff, etc. They suddenly managed to find a flu/covid/rsv combo PCR to give me. Amazing. The sinking feeling of exposing people for no reason was just awful. How do people live with doing that every day?

Anyway, super cool that we've dismantled the documentation system for diagnosing covid, thus undermining people's future efforts to be treated for PASC symptoms. If you can't prove you had it, no one is obligated to help you! Best system, good job!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

P_T_S posted:

flu/covid/rsv combo PCR

Most PCR tests they just swab you and send it off to a lab, takes at least a day or 2. Was this a rapid test looking thing?

I guess it doesn't matter, because it sounds like it came back + for covid eh.

Get well soon, rest a lot!

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

P_T_S posted:

Longtime lurker, perpetual masker. Finally got got at work, I suspect due to unannounced air handling maintenance during work hours. Paxlovid and Prednisone course complete, feel mostly fine but stuffy and still positive.

Every major chain pharmacy, every urgent care in the greater metro area no longer offers covid PCR testing. I had to make a doctor's appointment and even then after they assured me I could get one if I came in, tried to say they didn't have any available and I'd have to go to an emergency room. I flipped my poo poo about why they would lie and not call and cancel the appointment, I could not believe they would risk exposing all the people in the waiting room, the staff, etc. They suddenly managed to find a flu/covid/rsv combo PCR to give me. Amazing. The sinking feeling of exposing people for no reason was just awful. How do people live with doing that every day?

Anyway, super cool that we've dismantled the documentation system for diagnosing covid, thus undermining people's future efforts to be treated for PASC symptoms. If you can't prove you had it, no one is obligated to help you! Best system, good job!

get a second course of the pax. If it's good enough for Dr. Fauci, it's good enough for you

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Baddog posted:

Most PCR tests they just swab you and send it off to a lab, takes at least a day or 2. Was this a rapid test looking thing?

No, I insisted on a lab PCR test. It's just wild to me that they are no longer available outside of a hospital. Insane times, covid thread bros.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

U-DO Burger posted:

Just so hosed up. Someone taking care of him didn't mask up. They weren't testing. Just a cold bro.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/TheVertlartnic/status/1767663845705675183

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

absolute legend

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

banger

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/michael_hoerger/status/1767779394615906609
lol rip

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

3.5 per person lol

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lmao horrible

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

jetz0r posted:

I didn't mention it during my last job interview. Neither did any one else, and I got hired.

Yeah I've done several job interviews and absolutely no one questioned my mask. The only comment I got was one guy who said "Masks are still compulsory here out on the floor, which I see wouldn't be a problem for you." We were in the back-of-house area and absolutely no one was masking back there, lol.

(I didn't get any of those jobs, still unemployed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
RE: NPR ghoul

quote:

I want to keep my husband safe and healthy. But

quote:

It feels selfish and trivial to say that amid my husband's plight. He is terrified that if he gets COVID again, it will be as harrowing as the first time. And it could trigger a flare up of his chronic illness.

But

Why Am I So Tired posted:

It's very telling that she got mad at him for wearing an N95 on the plane. She'd rather inflict psychological terror (or even death!) upon her husband than have the facade of normalcy she feels entitled to punctured in any way. She's the victim because she had to see him wear a mask in a gravely dangerous situation.

Also he was embarrassing her in front of all the other passengers & airline staff