Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I really want to see a 2024 viewpoint applied to the Stargate franchise.

For better or worse. And it could be much worse, I know.

But a fully galaxy dominant humanity running the Gate system?

Tell me that's not at least 4 great seasons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Huh, Jason Momoa and Joe Flannigan are doing Guinness commercials...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyd1CUA-Yo4

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If I'm full on fighting in the SG universe, with like the biggest threat...

then of course I come out of hyperspace with some kamikaze bombs first... and then more....

and then some smaller ships with railguns to follow up and blast AND report back.... and then you decide to send the fleet or part of it or not....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You deploy dozens of these big dumb metal balloon spaceships through the gate, they zoom away to various points.... you come in blasting with heavily shielded bombers.... as the balloons release space shrapnel and magnetic fields....

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Cthulu Carl posted:

Huh, Jason Momoa and Joe Flannigan are doing Guinness commercials...
Aw, that's cute.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
It is beyond me how Joe Flanigan + Joe Flanigan's hair didn't become a true superstar

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yeah I checked Joe's IMDB. I also checked Tau'ri's.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He's growing on me, as I've just hit SGA S2. He's good, great even, but I must say the shine was knocked off when my partner pointed out that his voice is so similar to Owen Wilson's.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SGA is full Tau'ri ownership IMO

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yeah we're gonna preemptive dial the gate. Chuck? Dial it.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FFT posted:

Anything set after the Asgard gave all their knowledge to SGC would be bonkers

although now that I've typed that it feels like they must have immediately lost it

iirc the solution to the time loop caused the asgard knowledge to be destroyed

it still pisses me off about the episode

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

which episode?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

like, Thor was so, so kind to us when he didn't need to be. The Asgard were such perfect mentors for humanity. And Thor and his pals trust us with their entire knowledge. All of their database. The last of their studies of the ancients knowledge. The last remnants of Thor and his species, and their culture and civilisation. And then as soon as they die we just... immediately drop the ball and it shatters into a million pieces.

spoilers for vvv

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

redshirt posted:

which episode?

last ep of sg1

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

like, Thor was so, so kind to us when he didn't need to be. The Asgard were such perfect mentors for humanity. And Thor and his pals trust us with their entire knowledge. All of their database. The last of their studies of the ancients knowledge. The last remnants of Thor and his species, and their culture and civilisation. And then as soon as they die we just... immediately drop the ball and it shatters into a million pieces.

spoilers for vvv

So like S10 S20

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I can't watch that episode because Thor saying "You are the fifth race" makes me ugly cry and bawl my eyes out. It is one of the few things that gutpunches me when ive been on T and crying is a difficult thing to achieve

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

I can't watch that episode because Thor saying "You are the fifth race" makes me ugly cry and bawl my eyes out. It is one of the few things that gutpunches me when ive been on T and crying is a difficult thing to achieve

*Holds out gnarly little Asgard hand

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

alexandriao posted:

it doesnt. the solution to the time warp is rewind time and gtfo while turning the core off not destroying it. sam wrote a program that can turn the core off once activeated with in seconds but by the time she did that they had no time so she trys to find a way to rewind time. she figures it out and they dont have the power anymore to do it but then mitchell is like why not use the ori weapon about to explode us. so they wire a bunch of panels to do that then shut it off and leave tealc to be 60 yrs older.

they even turn it on and use it in ori space to try to infect all the ori ships with replicators.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also the carriers thing makes sense when you frame it in human terms, so.

Imagine a flat plane you're fighting on, you cannot dig and cannot fly (it violates our space time). Now in the center of that space is a snipers nest. The sniper has full 360 visibility and as soon as he can see you, he has the capacity of firing high velocity projectiles to your position at relativistic velocities. The bullets are so small that you basically cannot detect them before they hit. As soon as one of you can see the other you are in mutual weapons range.

As we can see, trying to touhou it by dodging and weaving in a fighter and hoping the thousands of tiny shrapnel bullets he just fired at you miss, is a really, reeeeallly bad strategy for space combat.

e: also as issac arthur mentions, just flooding space with some kind of smart shrapnel is the best option. Any projectile your opponent can fire is reasonably defended against by just randomizing your exact vector, space is so vast that the best they could do against this is probably close to a few hundred meters or kilometers. There is also no kind of shielding that makes you invisible, and the only cover are planets and moons

redshirt posted:

*Holds out gnarly little Asgard hand

lol

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 13, 2024

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

snergle posted:

it doesnt. the solution to the time warp is rewind time and gtfo while turning the core off not destroying it. sam wrote a program that can turn the core off once activeated with in seconds but by the time she did that they had no time so she trys to find a way to rewind time. she figures it out and they dont have the power anymore to do it but then mitchell is like why not use the ori weapon about to explode us. so they wire a bunch of panels to do that then shut it off and leave tealc to be 60 yrs older.

they even turn it on and use it in ori space to try to infect all the ori ships with replicators.

HUH. I thought the whole thing was that the asgard knowledge was exploded when they did that

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hey there's nothing to break, but believe me it won't break like you think....

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

alexandriao posted:

e: also as issac arthur mentions, just flooding space with some kind of smart shrapnel is the best option. Any projectile your opponent can fire is reasonably defended against by just randomizing your exact vector, space is so vast that the best they could do against this is probably close to a few hundred meters or kilometers. There is also no kind of shielding that makes you invisible, and the only cover are planets and moons

I don't believe there's any way to fill space with so much material of any kind or design that your enemy can't just not care about it. Maybe you keep it to really close to your objective, but then you can't move yourself either and the enemy can just move past your 'heavily materieled zone' if their objective isn't in that zone. If their objective is in that zone they can just wait at a distance for the debris to drift off or something. I just don't believe space combat can reasonably look like anything BUT ships staying so far away from each other even magically faster than light weapons will miss so long as the targets are doing the random movements in space thing without some serious magical thinking on the part of the viewers or creators.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Curtana posted:

I don't believe there's any way to fill space with so much material of any kind or design that your enemy can't just not care about it. Maybe you keep it to really close to your objective, but then you can't move yourself either and the enemy can just move past your 'heavily materieled zone' if their objective isn't in that zone. If their objective is in that zone they can just wait at a distance for the debris to drift off or something. I just don't believe space combat can reasonably look like anything BUT ships staying so far away from each other even magically faster than light weapons will miss so long as the targets are doing the random movements in space thing without some serious magical thinking on the part of the viewers or creators.

clearly you didn't see when Sam blew up a sun

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Shows up out of hyperspace, blasting.

Jumps to hyperspace after about 15 seconds of full rail fire.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

We can barely detect ship-sized asteroids coming right* at us, lol that space combat would hinge on detecting ships at far beyond standoff range if they don't want to be found.

*not directly but that would actually be harder anyway

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The small fighter show their worth multiple times, as they can fly in air, in space, and go hyperspace. drat capable.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

if you don’t feel something when Carter hugs Thor you have a black heart unworthy of friendship

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

if you don’t feel something when Carter hugs Thor you have a black heart unworthy of friendship

When Carter eats one of the orange things just to make Thor happy.

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

clearly you didn't see when Sam blew up a sun

Blowing up a sun is seriously magical thinking too, I bet.

McSpanky posted:

We can barely detect ship-sized asteroids coming right* at us, lol that space combat would hinge on detecting ships at far beyond standoff range if they don't want to be found.

*not directly but that would actually be harder anyway

The same equipment we use to barely detect ship-sized asteroids coming "right at us" would detect the heat from moving ships at the outer limits of the Solar System just fine, IF they were aimed in the right place. Our real limit on detecting stuff like that is how many of these telescopes we have in the first place. If you have these amazing space fighters and carriers WHY wouldn't you have thousands of space mirrors and cameras all over the star system?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't know man, sending a stargate mid dial into a star....

I'd like to see bigger SG teams. 5 should be the default minimum. Why not a team of 8?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

I'd like to see bigger SG teams. 5 should be the default minimum. Why not a team of 8?

Not sneaky enough, chance of inter-rank conflict is too high, and too many faces to remember

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

redshirt posted:

there's only so many people in the vancouver acting scene

realistically though, the small team size makes sense because there is extreme risk required with gate travel and each team requires highly trained, trusted, special forces
teams of 8 is 3 more people to die if something fucky happens.

you can also simply send in two teams if you need more people.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Curtana posted:

Reread my post. I specifically said "smart shrapnel"

And orbital mechanics rely on you to be in specific positions to do manoeuvres if you dont want to have a Bad time

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

If you fire a couple of billion pennies into orbit at the enemy you trash the orbit for everyone else but you are basically assured of decimating the enemy, and probably yourself when they complete their orbit lmao. You literally just need enough shrapnel (and thats easy because the smaller the better ip to a point) and a wide enough firing range to cover the distance that they can vary their trajectory by, and everyone has semi limited range of motion in terms of orbital mechanics. It's not like air where you can move forwards and backwards.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Ships in Stargate can just park in geostationary orbit, they do it constantly.

A shrapnel field would be elsewhere most of the time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I liked that one planet that we never learned anything about that had those orbital smart mines. That seems like a hard core defense against the Goa'uld.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

alexandriao posted:

Reread my post. I specifically said "smart shrapnel"

And orbital mechanics rely on you to be in specific positions to do manoeuvres if you dont want to have a Bad time

Are we still talking about Stargate here or real life/harder sci-fi scenarios? Because when you've got shields and antigravity drives and all that jazz, a lot of current orbital mechanics requirements get thrown out the window.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

SRQ posted:

you can also simply send in two teams if you need more people.

Much more flexible this way. You can cycle out a team of four easier than eight.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Much more flexible this way. You can cycle out a team of four easier than eight.

You just incorporate the different numbers. It doesn't seem that complicated. And if I were in charge of the SGC and there were 8 person teams I'd implement a SOP of 2 folks remain to guard the gate, 2 more folks go out and set up a mid point station. The next four go on to whatever is the mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

You just incorporate the different numbers. It doesn't seem that complicated. And if I were in charge of the SGC and there were 8 person teams I'd implement a SOP of 2 folks remain to guard the gate, 2 more folks go out and set up a mid point station. The next four go on to whatever is the mission.

And that's why you're just a redshirt and not a 4-star General :colbert: