Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I doubt they're going to change the Weapons into Sephiroth's pawns. I'm pretty sure they'll either stick with what already existed (The recognizable Weapons were locked in the Northern Crater,) or have the weapons get "Upgraded" by the planet.

For what it's worth Crisis Core kept the Emerald Weapon being locked in crystal even in the upgraded version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

After the fight with Scarlet I figured the weapon from that reactor would be captured and transformed into Ruby since they're both sazabi-ish.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

After the fight with Scarlet I figured the weapon from that reactor would be captured and transformed into Ruby since they're both sazabi-ish.

I could see the Proud Clad being reconfigured to be build off a weapon corpse or something.

It has that biomechanical look to it.

Though the Pride and Joy in Remake is a lot more raw mechanical.

(The Japanese name for Pride and Joy is Proud Clad Type 0 so.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 12, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
But Ruby and Emerald Weapons are already in Rebirth!

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
final fantasy viii is so bad that it ruined its predecessors remake two decades later

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fucker posted:

final fantasy viii is so bad that it ruined its predecessors remake two decades later

... what?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Aerith dies at the very end of Rebirth, correct?

I was responding to this in the RPG thread, how Square has totally lost their nerve when it comes to character deaths. What was so impactful about the OG was not what happened, but when it happened. And yet in every game after? Vivi, Tidus(gently caress off, X-2), Fang and Vanille(gona count them), Noctis....it all happens when the game is over. Not that it doesn't make you sad but it's not surprising.

And then here comes Rebirth, perfectly crystalizing my point. It takes the same character who is noteworthy for her death midway through the game and transports it to the very end.

I wonder if they will ever dare to do what FFIV or FFVII did again?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So Aerith dies at the very end of Rebirth, correct?

I was responding to this in the RPG thread, how Square has totally lost their nerve when it comes to character deaths. What was so impactful about the OG was not what happened, but when it happened. And yet in every game after? Vivi, Tidus(gently caress off, X-2), Fang and Vanille(gona count them), Noctis....it all happens when the game is over. Not that it doesn't make you sad but it's not surprising.

And then here comes Rebirth, perfectly crystalizing my point. It takes the same character who is noteworthy for her death midway through the game and transports it to the very end.

I wonder if they will ever dare to do what FFIV or FFVII did again?

.. uh?
*FF16 spoiler*
My dude, Cid dies halfway through FF16.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 13, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The fate of Aerith is the lynchpin of the entire game. It doesn't make sense to resolve it anywhere else but the end.

The OG's "Aerith dies in disc 1" is long played out in that game.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
They killed Cid with a last name I forget XVI midgame, and they was a very cool friend who was absolutely a party member

Caidin fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 13, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

.. uh?

Really? I don't know poo poo about XVI but I was originally responding to to your own comment that Clive dying at the end is just what to expect from FF games nowadays. I did not think anyone else died.

My bad. I retract my criticism, then.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
In a trilogy, killing a character at the end of the second part is like not the end unless you really think Rebirth is the end of FF7.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oh, right, when people do their epic Remake -> Rebirth -> [part 3] playthrough in 5 years it'll be placed fairly appropriately.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

On a note other than ending talk. What’s left to cover in part 3? I know at minimum we got:

- Snowboarding
- Weapons
- Lifestream
- Wutai
- Airship
- Space
- Sister Ray
- Huge/Magnus Materia
- Return to Midgar
- Beat up Hojo

Plus the final boss n all.

I forget what else.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I could see the Proud Clad being reconfigured to be build off a weapon corpse or something.

It has that biomechanical look to it.

Though the Pride and Joy in Remake is a lot more raw mechanical.

(The Japanese name for Pride and Joy is Proud Clad Type 0 so.)

One of my dumb final fantasy stories is thinking Proud Clod was a pretty dumb name until over a decade later when I was playing 13 and that cop guy comes at you in a mech called the Proud Clad toward the end and I was like WAIT A MINUTE

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

On a note other than ending talk. What’s left to cover in part 3? I know at minimum we got:

- Snowboarding
- Weapons
- Lifestream
- Wutai
- Airship
- Space
- Sister Ray
- Huge/Magnus Materia
- Return to Midgar
- Beat up Hojo

I forget what else.

Mideel presumably. Quest for the golden Chocobo and submarine shenanigans. I dunno how much ocean they'll let you crawl but I would imagine at least the part where you fight the Turks in a sunken cargo plane for that key.

We need a place to fight Ghost Ship to at least make up for the loss of Heavy Tank...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

- Snowboarding
- Weapons
- Lifestream
- Wutai
- Airship
- Space
- Sister Ray
- Huge/Magnus Materia
- Return to Midgar
- Beat up Hojo

I forget what else.

Icicle Inn/Snowboarding
The Northern Crater
Escaping From Junon/Hijacking the Highwind
Searching For Cloud/Mideel/Cloud Gets His Memory Back
There Ain't No Getting Offa This Train We're On/North Coral/Magus Materia
Fort Condor (Like, the actual one that you see in the distance near Junon)/Magus Materia
Junon/Submarine (Huge Materia)
Rocket Town (Huge Materia/Absolutely loving going to be expanded)
Wutai
The Weapons in general (May be combined with the magus materia stuff)
Return to Midgar
Return to Cosmo Canyon/City of the Ancients revisited
Zack's Whole Thing

Things I expect to get fleshed out/made into sidequests:
Golden Chocobo
Knights of the Round
Typhon (I am betting we get an Ultros cameo)
Chadley's true body
The Gi Tribe. (Probably a Red XIII-centric sidequest)
Zangan/The truth about what happened to Tifa (Probably a Tifa-centric sidequest)
Don Corneo (will either be part of the Wutai plot or will be a sideplot.)
Lucretia (May get fleshed out, give Vincent actual plot time.)
Elmyria/Marlene (She wasn't kidnapped by Cait Sith this time so no idea what's going on with her, probably worked into Return To Midgar. Maybe used to give Reeve/Cait more to do?)

Summons who haven't shown up yet
Bahamut Zero
Hades
Typhon
Kotor

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 12, 2024

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I went back and watched Aerith’s death in the OG and I think it definitely hits harder. Even teared up.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
So the ending was basically this.

The guy on the other forum keeps insisting that there is no such thing as alternate timelines. It's a huge misunderstanding introduced in the localization. And that no-one who played it in English got the very subtle message that Sarruf is Rufus.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

.. uh?

Mate, maybe you could put which game you're spoiling outside the spoiler?

Edit: Oh someone put it outside a spoiler a few posts down so I would have read it anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It occurs to me that there was no big, weird, speculation-bait wham scene at the end of the game like there was last time. Remake had Zack show up out of nowhere and inexplicably survive, making us wonder what the hell was going to come next. Rebirth doesn’t as far I can tell, or at least nothing that an FF7 veteran didn’t already know about. Maybe that’s because they reserved it to goodbye to Aerith, but from a hype-building point of view there wasn’t much to get us excited for disc 2. Kinda wish there was, though.

Spermando posted:

The guy on the other forum keeps insisting that there is no such thing as alternate timelines. It's a huge misunderstanding introduced in the localization. And that no-one who played it in English got the very subtle message that Sarruf is Rufus.

What other forum? Got a link?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Mate, maybe you could put which game you're spoiling outside the spoiler?

Edit: Oh someone put it outside a spoiler a few posts down so I would have read it anyway.

Edited, I'm sorry.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

What other forum? Got a link?

It's in a different language.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay but what other forum

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
On the final boss and just wanted to make this joke before I even see if someone else made it Time Space Kompression

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
This is sort of a general question as opposed to one centered on Rebirth, but what exactly is the Reunion supposed to do?

It sounds like the black robes will all just meet up to reform Jenova, but that isn't quite what they manage in the OG. They sort of vaguely lay a trail for the party, mass up in north crater in the first go around, get wiped out by Jenova but this doesn't seem to facilitate anything, I think. Do they help make the Safer Sephiroth body? It's treated with a kind of significance in the plot that doesn't really mesh with what it seems to accomplish.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The Reunion is specifically the event of drawing all Jenova cells back together. In the original, Cloud thought he was chasing after Sephiroth to stop him, but he was subconsciously being drawn by Reunion as well. Speculatively, Sephiroth, who has a grudge against Cloud because of the events at Nibelheim, used this opportunity to retrieve the Black Materia via Cloud as well. IIRC, Reunion talk basically stops after the party leaves the Northern Crater, so whatever happened there was the end of it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Well, I finished all the simulator fights. Some of the solo battles, the Virtual Sephiroth fight, and especially the duo boss marathon with Zack are properly challenging. Between those and some of the minigame stuff (especially Sephiroth in 3D Brawler) I think there's gonna be some serious filtering when it comes to getting platinum.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Caidin posted:

This is sort of a general question as opposed to one centered on Rebirth, but what exactly is the Reunion supposed to do?

It sounds like the black robes will all just meet up to reform Jenova, but that isn't quite what they manage in the OG. They sort of vaguely lay a trail for the party, mass up in north crater in the first go around, get wiped out by Jenova but this doesn't seem to facilitate anything, I think. Do they help make the Safer Sephiroth body? It's treated with a kind of significance in the plot that doesn't really mesh with what it seems to accomplish.

It's not like a grand plan or anything, it's just an instinct that all Jenova cells (and people carrying them) have. Hojo called it the Reunion Theory and was very eager to test it. This doesn't necessarily need to work in Jenova's favor, similar to how the Thing in the movie was revealed by its blood's instinct for self-preservation. Ultimately its purpose both in the plot and in-universe is to lead people to Sephiroth's main body.

Edit: Specifically, Jenova's cells want to reform into a single body after being chopped up. But it's not like it needs them all for anything in particular, that's just how its biology works.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 13, 2024

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Loved the entire ending sequence, Square's boss encounter design on this type of action blend FF titles finally caught up to KH's and surpassed them. Plus the whole ending is so bittersweet and touching. This whole FF Rebuild rules and going by how they handled the three decade long desire to see Aerith saved, only to reinforce the themes of the original again, perfect.

Spermando posted:

lol whats their take, that in nihongo time is the same word as world or smth? Like, one of the scenario writers is from the FF8 and you can tell

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 13, 2024

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

lol whats their take, that in nihongo time is the same word as world or smth? Like, one of the scenario writers is from the FF8 and you can tell

He published his take here. Use Google Translate or something because it's a real wall of text:
https://areajugones.sport.es/videojuegos/te-explicamos-en-detalle-el-final-de-final-fantasy-vii-rebirth/

Edit: To summarize, Stamp's soul has a nasty case of breed dysphoria.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Caidin posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Sephiroth is gonna jack the weapons and turn them from lifestream whales into their original biological mecha rear end selves at North Crater?

Seems like a decent guess.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Would be a better explanation than the OG, where they awaken after Cloud hands over the black materia, only to immediately flee the scene of that crime and wreck house elsewhere.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spermando posted:

He published his take here. Use Google Translate or something because it's a real wall of text:
https://areajugones.sport.es/videojuegos/te-explicamos-en-detalle-el-final-de-final-fantasy-vii-rebirth/

I actually do like this read--the idea that the multiple worlds are there essentially as virtual spaces for souls to explore the choices they didn't get to make and come to accept their death. I know one theory I saw pointed out that Biggs seemed to die after realizing his role and accepting everything that's happened, which could mean that he passed on into the Lifestream, having accepted his own death.

I screenshotted a Google translation of the part in question:

This is also thematically consistent with not just FF7, but Final Fantasy in general, a series that has long been obsessed with exploring literalized and physical representations of memory.

It also makes sense of why Cloud was able to bring back a working White Materia: it's just made of the memories that the Whispers took away in the first place. It's not a new or different White Materia, but instead just them retrieving that knowledge from the Lifestream after it had been taken away. This might also explain Aerith's behavior from that point on, as she has her foreknowledge back, and once she dies, she has all the knowledge and power of the Lifestream working with her as well.

SettingSun posted:

Would be a better explanation than the OG, where they awaken after Cloud hands over the black materia, only to immediately flee the scene of that crime and wreck house elsewhere.

To be fair, the Weapons in the original all beeline for places that are sucking up mako like crazy, like Junon and Midgar. Can't really blame them for seeing that as the priority.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 13, 2024

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Spermando posted:

This makes a lot of sense, there's a lot in the game to support this reading like the dream motiff, the ammount of already vritual reality in the dream/real worlds too and while I can read Spanish but I didnt see any mention of localisation issues in it

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Harrow posted:

To be fair, the Weapons in the original all beeline for places that are sucking up mako like crazy, like Junon and Midgar. Can't really blame them for seeing that as the priority.

It's an assumption based on the two weapons we see in rebirth are already active and barely seem to care about Shinra. They might be scoping out the reactor sites I guess but mostly they just fight Sephiroth. Since they've commited to hitting most of the same beats as the OG then you need giant monsterbots. You need them at north crater for the oh poo poo factor of the last act, you need Sapphire at Junon and Diamond (was it diamond?) to attack Mideel just before Cloud recovers and to laser the top floor of the Shinra building to Rufus's apparent demise, you need Emerald to scare the out of you while you blissfully submarine about... Ruby...

Ruby can, I dunno, be the new last round of 3d brawler or something

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I’m on team VR. Makes Sephiroth’s plan totally nonsensical but his new motivation is crap anyway, so whatever.

This game is at its best when it’s a love letter to the original, and at its worst when it tries to be all epic and poo poo.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So if the Power of Seven winds up becoming an actual factor. Let's look at these timelines again

Timeline 1 (Or Zero): Original FF7->DoC. Aerith dies, Geostigma, Sephiroth swears to never be a memory.
Timeline 2 (Stamp 2 Stars?): Currently unknown, presumably the first time Sephiroth went back to gently caress with things. Joke answer: Smash Brothers timeline.
Timeline 3 (Stamp 3 Stars): A Timeline in which everyone is dead, Cloud and Aerith were in a coma, and Sephiroth is unopposed. Cloud is given the White Materia from this timeline to give to Aerith. It's destroyed shortly after by the W'rkncacnter.
Timeline 4 (Stamp 4 Stars AKA Zack Timeline.): Rather than being as a result of the Beagle (Stamp 5 Stars) it's actually a result of Stamp 3 Stars. Zack survives the battle at Midgar's planes. Avalanche is killed excluding Aerith. Biggs is also alive in this timeline, but the Biggs here does not appear to be 4 Stars Biggs, since he mentions "Everyone knows Cloud is a badass, even if he's putting on airs." Biggs shouldn't know who Cloud is since Zack returned with Cloud.
Timeline 5 (Stamp 5 Stars AKA The RE Timeline): Our current timeline, masquerading as Timeline 2. All things return to here, and here is the latest battle of fate. Going to hell in a handbasket.
Timeline 6 (Stamp 6 Stars): Branches of Stamp 4 Stars are dependent on what Zack did during the events of Rebirth. used to show the way the timeline splits at the well of possibilities.
Timeline 7 (Ay Mak Sicur): Currently unknown, presumably the apotheosis of timelines, where all things will converge. There is no proof of this beyond the fact it would be 7 timelines and it's final fantasy 7 and 7 is a brain poison.

Unknown timeline: Zack chooses to do nothing in timeline 4 and we see a Shiba Stamp, it has no stars. Technically this ruins 7 Timelines, unless timeline 1 is Zero because Zero isn't a number. Could also be a "Junk" timeline.

Is Aerith Alive: Yes.
Is Aerith Dead: Also, yes.

Will Aerith return in Part 3: My money is on yes, and I don't just think as a Lifestream entity. The thing the Remake trilogy so far has knocked out of the park is recontextualizing existing spoilers in new ways that ask the same question and invoke the same emotion without literally being the same question:

The main plot the third game will be dealing with is Cloud's fractured psyche. So how does Cloud's psyche fracture? With 'proof' that he was never at Midgar and had been masquerading as Zack the entire time. But everyone knows that, and hell Cloud is more aware of Zack than he was before. So what would cause Cloud to shatter in the same way? "Cloud, Aerith has been dead since the City of the Ancients." It carries the same weight of Cloud believing whole heartedly in something that everyone else thinks is a lie, with just enough kernal of reality to it to be undeniable.

HOWEVER

The key part of Cloud's mental reconstruction is everyone else is wrong, too. Tifa doesn't think Cloud was at Nibelheim at all. Sephiroth claims that Cloud was always just one of his clones. Both of these things are key to Cloud shattering and both of them aren't true. He was at Nibelheim and he wasn't a Sephiroth clone. It's not that Cloud wasn't living a lie it's that the truth wasn't something that could be confronted or confirmed by any one person. Part 3 will use Aerith's status as that answer, and while the answer could be "Oh she is totally dead" or "She's totally alive." I am not so sure where it will fall. Only that the mystery uncovered in Cloud's memories will not be "So what did happen at Nibelheim" but also "What happened at the City of the Ancients?"

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

This makes a lot of sense, there's a lot in the game to support this reading like the dream motiff, the ammount of already vritual reality in the dream/real worlds too and while I can read Spanish but I didnt see any mention of localisation issues in it
Granted, the article I posted was edited by someone else, so it's missing all the "actually he says it's been 100 lotus festivals, not it's been a long time" and "it's astral worlds, not alternate realities, baka". And seeing him backpedal on a lot of stuff he kept insulting people for over the years has been amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I don't think it's literal vr but a metaphor, where it's all a dream but also all is real because of the nature of the lifestream, and we're all compressed into those seven seconds sefi said at the end of remake. The semantics only matter for bridging the concepts, because they are alternate worlds and they're not at the same time