Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I can't tell if this was accidental or clever.

It came from the third heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Dingleberry2 posted:

I think up until this point it's just been foot soldiers that have been killed in the line of duty, so no biggie. Diplomacy and politics were still on the table. Now that Ishido's right hand man is a sloppy Joe, there's no more feigning polite ignorance in order to avoid outright war.

Yeah, everything before this were the equivalent of border skirmishes or localized gunfights -- stuff that could be contained if needed. What Toranaga's son did can't be undone.

Though, I do appreciate the zoom-in at the end. "Are we in some sort of ... Shogun total war?"

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 13, 2024

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

So obviously the end of episode 4 is a huge provocation and everything, but why is everyone suddenly like "Oh now it's gonna be war". Toranaga snuck out of Osaka, killing a bunch of guards in the process, expressly against the orders of the regents. After that, wasn't war inevitable? I mean barring something like Toranaga's abject surrender or possibly suicide.

It's more complicated than the other posters have said. The group that attacked Toranaga's party as he was escaping were specifically one of the Christian lords acting independently of the regency council. They were trying to kill Blackthorne, in fact, and at the time they didn't even know Toranaga was there until all the poo poo hit the fan. Because the Christian lord was acting on his own, the casualties are not of concern to Ishido. The messengers that got murked here were an honor guard sent by Ishido personally.

Anyway, what a fantastic episode. My friends and I all chorused "holy poo poo" when the first cannon shot hit.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I don't like too many television shows but this is one of the best things I've ever watched.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I'm a sucker for good mise en scene and this show is a loving feast for the eyes. I've watched a few episodes multiple times because I love all the attention to detail in all the armors and sets, it's incredibly immersive. I'm not too happy about the subtle focus vignetting they do in some scenes, but the rest more than makes up for it.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Saganlives posted:

I'm not too happy about the subtle focus vignetting they do in some scenes, but the rest more than makes up for it.

I forget the technicalities of it, but I really like that when the rack-focus changes, the whole frame warps a little bit. Real old-school lens feel to it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Entorwellian posted:

I don't like too many television shows but this is one of the best things I've ever watched.

Somebody earlier likened it to Chernobyl and yeah that is the last time I remember a series just utterly blowing me away in every aspect of its production just being flawless.

Edit: Andor was probably the next closest, but Shogun really does feel like something special.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Somebody earlier likened it to Chernobyl and yeah that is the last time I remember a series just utterly blowing me away in every aspect of its production just being flawless.

Edit: Andor was probably the next closest, but Shogun really does feel like something special.

Yeah, there's been like four shows that have swept me off my feet like this in the last 5 years: Shogun, Chernobyl, The Last of Us, and Blue Eye Samurai. I'd wager Andor would join that list if/when I ever get around to watching it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bloody Pom posted:

Based on dialogue in the episode I feel like the Portugese deliberately gave the Japanese older, shittier cannons/mortars. After all, with all the shady dealings they'd been up to in Japan's overseas holdings, why would they risk giving them weapons on parity with their own?

Oh, yeah, I meant more I don't know if the Dutch cannons off Blackthorne's ship would have been able to make the shots seen every time. Maybe they would, I have no sense one way or the other

Phenotype posted:

Why was Blackthorne's journal written in Portuguese? Wouldn't have he written in English (and then it would have been an impenetrable enigma to Mariko)

Good question, tbh. Was it just his journal, or was it the ship's rutter as well? (I had to look that up the first time it was mentioned, a rutter was kind of an early type of marine chart, with written directions from port to port instead of maps.) If the latter, I thought it was supposed to have been pilfered from the Portuguese, and that's what gave them the ability to sail through the Strait of Magellan

Phy fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 13, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm not sure what it's supposed to be. I know they stole someone's book and that's how they were able to find the passage to the Japans. And then they also had a log of them burning Catholic settlements. So the book they found would be in Portuguese, and their own notes would likely be in English or in Dutch. I assume that the priests in Osaka did not read English well, because the book had that note that looks like they are trying to translate "burned to hell" into Portuguese. But if they don't read English, how did they even know much about the log in the first place? And how would the Japanese ever even translate it? It seems to me that if the book is a log of what Blackthorne's crew has done, that would be considered proof of piracy, would be written in either English or Dutch, and thus, be complete gibberish to anyone but Blackthorne.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Mariko was reading his journal, not the rutter. The journal was full of poo poo like "lol we hosed this island up" and "burned that whole city to the ground RIP bitches" which I thought would be viewed more negatively by her, but then she talks about how much pain she's endured because of her enemies and I think that in a weird way makes them kindred spirits. She understands why the Anjin doesn't show mercy to his enemies, and maybe she even admires it because she longs for that sort of agency in order to have her own revenge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So he conveniently wrote his own journal in Portuguese?

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

So he conveniently wrote his own journal in Portuguese?

Yeah, I think this is a plot hole tbh. It's conceivable he wrote in Portuguese I guess but I don't think it's likely. I'm willing to let it slide, but it definitely feels like a contrivance they tried to slip past the audience for narrative convenience.

edit: the other possibility I suppose is that he wrote it in Latin, which Mariko can read, but that also begs the question of "why?"

edit edit: You know what, I thought about it more and the Jesuits would know that if the journal was in English then the Japanese would never be able to translate it without Blackthorne. It makes sense, then, that they translated it to Portuguese because then they'd know Mariko could translate it further. They gave it to Toranaga explicitly in an attempt to discredit Blackthorne.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not sure what it's supposed to be. I know they stole someone's book and that's how they were able to find the passage to the Japans. And then they also had a log of them burning Catholic settlements. So the book they found would be in Portuguese, and their own notes would likely be in English or in Dutch. I assume that the priests in Osaka did not read English well, because the book had that note that looks like they are trying to translate "burned to hell" into Portuguese. But if they don't read English, how did they even know much about the log in the first place? And how would the Japanese ever even translate it? It seems to me that if the book is a log of what Blackthorne's crew has done, that would be considered proof of piracy, would be written in either English or Dutch, and thus, be complete gibberish to anyone but Blackthorne.

I'm sure now that you're right. The priests DID translate it to Portuguese.

Saganlives fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 13, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That cannon scene was so well done

When the son signals, the unexpected pop in the fog behind him, coming from an unexpected direction and in an unexpected part of the negative space in the frame

The fact that Blackthorne introduced chain shot a few minutes before, so when we see the guys vorpalized we immediately understand

So good

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really liked Blackthorne being all "well, I had sex last night:shepface:"

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The official podcast is worth a listen. It has interviews with production, cast and experts and goes into decisions like the change to Blackthorne teaching Toranaga's men to use cannon rather than muskets, as in the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtab2lerJgI

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Jerusalem posted:

nobody remembers The Americans :( we've seen FX kill at historical dramas in the recent past!

that said dear god i hate the stylistic distorted and blurry af wide angle lens they use on half the shots, i mean goddamn you can see (straight) lines with massive curves along the edges

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah the whole "and also he knows all about european infantry tactics which are entirely unheard of in japan!" part of the book was a little too silly and marty stu so I think cannon is a good change.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

edit; on second thought, I am sure the show will tell us in an episode or two.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 13, 2024

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

hailthefish posted:

Yeah the whole "and also he knows all about european infantry tactics which are entirely unheard of in japan!" part of the book was a little too silly and marty stu so I think cannon is a good change.

Also it reinforces Blackthorne's character as someone who's got to improvise and play to his strengths to stay alive.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
drat, they turned those messengers into chunky paste.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Tankbuster posted:

god that was sick as

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

YaketySass posted:

Also it reinforces Blackthorne's character as someone who's got to improvise and play to his strengths to stay alive.
I love that he's consistently presented as sharp, but not always extremely quick, often wrongfooted conversationally but he tends to pick himself back up.

hailthefish posted:

I was really expecting just a few simple things like focusing on repeated drills and maybe firing by rank, but the artillery focus instead was very much appreciated.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I love that he's consistently presented as sharp, but not always extremely quick, often wrongfooted conversationally but he tends to pick himself back up.

I like how Jarvis' acting shows the gears churning in Blackthorne's head and then clicking into place. In Ep. 1 when he realizes the Portuguese have kept knowledge of other European powers from Japan. In Ep. 3 when he realizes the Black Ship is their only chance of running the blockade, and when he catches himself from rejecting the offer to train a regiment. And in Ep. 4 when he realizes that anything he has to say about land battle tactics would amount to jack squat anyway, so time to come clean.

Edit, and my favorite line delivery:

"No one's going to stop him?"
"No one's going to stop him!"

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 13, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tankbuster posted:

I'm sure part of it was down to shock, but Jozen being so utterly hosed up and still being all,"gently caress YOU GUYS, MY BOSS IS GONNA BEAT ALL YOUR COWARD ASSES!" did a pretty good job of selling that he was a scary loving dude.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
TIL a “koku” is a year’s ration of rice for one man, or about 180 liters. Can’t wait for Blackthorn’s reaction when 240 of those (43,200 liters) gets delivered to his house next month.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Best episode so far, I think. Toranaga’s son’s actions were genuinely surprising and the use of gore really elevated the surprise.

I watched the old TV show a long time ago but I don’t remember a lot of it. Plus they’re changing stuff as well

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

CatstropheWaitress posted:

milk dribbling gently caress smear

I saw them live in '07, they opened for the poo poo-Eating Samas. Not bad, cool t-shirt.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I was really expecting just a few simple things like focusing on repeated drills and maybe firing by rank, but the artillery focus instead was very much appreciated.

That's what I was expecting too - "you're going to drill like Englishmen" or something.

Shishkahuben fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 13, 2024

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

kiimo posted:

Clearly the production also has history nerds working for it who came to similar conclusions on cannons vs muskets in the hands of a sailor

Also the tactics Blackthorne teaches them to use in the novel were already widely known in Japan at the time; depending on how credible you consider certain accounts of the battle of Nagashino, they figured out the whole "ranks of tightly drilled gunners firing volleys in succession, covering for each other to reload" thing either around the same time as it was developed in Europe (the more likely option; contemporary Korean records mention the Japanese using ranked volley fire during the invasions, which were within a couple years of the Dutch starting to use similar tactics against the Spanish), or a full decade and change earlier (this is the popular story, but contemporary records don't line up with later accounts that mention ranked volley fire being employed, and it's more likely that the gunners at the battle were used more as sharpshooters, with the real deciding factor being the movable barricades the Oda brought to disrupt the cavalry tactics the Takeda were famous for).

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

milk dribbling gently caress smear

Yeah Blackthorne really gives some credence to the old "curse like a sailor" stereotype, he's pretty great at coming up with creative curses. Loved that scene where him and Rodrigues were poo poo-talking each other from their ships.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tankbuster posted:

Nebara Jozen: Haha yeah well don't shoot the messenger
Nagakado: :doit:

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Though, I do appreciate the zoom-in at the end. "Are we in some sort of ... Shogun total war?"

lol lmao lol

I've re-watched the scene a few times and I can't tell if Yabu is unconvincingly feigning disbelief or if he's so bewildered that he's nearly unable to get a coherent sentence out. Both would be believable but I can't tell from his reaction if he was in on the plan.

Shishkahuben fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 13, 2024

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Yabu might not understand what's just happened, but look at Omi behind his shoulder. He's almost bursting with glee.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Aww poo poo! Even Seppuku won’t be enough to take this back!

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yabushige’s just trying to survive through this all so he can continue with his own pervert poo poo

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

C-Euro posted:

Great ep, I especially liked the scene of Fuji and Blackthorne exchanging gifts :unsmith:

Help me remember a detail from the book - does Blackthorne ever, ahem, pillow with a Japanese woman beside Mariko? Couldn't tell if that was supposed to be her sneaking into his room towards the end there. I would have guessed that would happen in the next episode or two based on when I remember it happening in the book.

yes, but it's stuff that will likely be in later episodes so I won't go into it. Though you do meet some of his descendants in later books

After the episode I looked around for a trailer, couldn't find one but I did see the title for episode 6 which makes me think they're going to cover a fascinating history lesson from the books I was convinced they'd cut.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47C1dMGmPdg Here is the Ep. 5 trailer.

Edit: There are apparently spoilers in the comments so watch at your own risk. If you don't scroll down you should be fine.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 13, 2024

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

loving spoilers in the comments

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I just reread the ep. 4 final scene as it happens in the book. (Edit; Spoilering it, just to be safe.) It could have easily been a five-minute gore-fest.

Yabu and Omi and Naga are doing a phalanx musket mock battle for Jozen and his retinue, using 2,500 (!) soldiers. Meanwhile, Jozen is scoffing at how un-samurai it all is, but admits it's effective. Yabu boasts that it's mostly his doing, with some seed ideas from Blackthorne. So Jozen suggests: Why not kill Blackthorne, sounds like you got all you need from him? So there's kinda a nice incentive for the reader to be cool with Jozen getting killed. But Yabu dismisses that.

Bayonets are drawn, and Jozen makes comments about swords. And then Naga finally announces it is time to avenge all of Ishido's insults. His men form up in musket rows. One of Jozen's men makes a lunge for Naga, gets his head blown off. Yabu is all, What are you doing!? while Jozen's all, Haha, Ishido knows all about this musket secret already! I sent a pigeon and a messenger last night.

A Naga lieutenant presents the strangled body of the pigeon and the severed head of the messenger, which rolls to a stop when it hits a rock. Naga's men laugh at this. Another Jozen man makes an attempt, and he too gets shot 20 times. Omi offers to intervene but Yabu turns it down; he sees the writing on the wall. ("It had been so easy to maneuver Naga," Omi thinks.)

Yabu decides to leave Naga to it, and orders Blackthorne and Omi to stay as witnesses. Jozen shouts, Yabu-samaaaaaa!" and the scene cuts to Blackthorne hours later in a daze at what he witnessed -- They have no sense of sin, he thinks of everybody, including Mariko, as he watches them go about their night during a gale (symbolism!). A few pages later, after some comic relief about Blackthorne's botched Japanese, we learn that Jozen "had been allowed to crawl away, then gutted slowly while he screamed, his blood dribbling with the phlegm, then left to die." The dogs eventually get to him.

Also, all his lieutenants do the seppuku. Heads lopped, guts spilled.

Yeah, cannon paste and a swift beheading was the way to go I think.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The cannon version worked out great but I kind of preferred the whole "haha nice try" aspect in the book with the messenger pigeons and stuff as Ishido's guys slowly realizes they're hosed.