Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
I kept playing my Deck docked to the TV, and now even at 4K 60, the UI is working fine, games are upscaling well, and everything performs exactly as expected.

Knock on wood. I blame bugs. I have the worst goddamn luck with bugs in gaming devices, but hey, it sorted itself. Time to crack at that indie and old-gen backlog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

what if I told you, you were experiencing vr without glasses right now?

I'm not telling you that, but what if i was?

lookinh through my eyes as i poop, is experiencing virtually, reality

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

I kept playing my Deck docked to the TV, and now even at 4K 60, the UI is working fine, games are upscaling well, and everything performs exactly as expected.

Knock on wood. I blame bugs. I have the worst goddamn luck with bugs in gaming devices, but hey, it sorted itself. Time to crack at that indie and old-gen backlog.

It's probably not the case, but it would be funny if the deck had to process the shaders for the UI or something, causing it to be stuttery for a bit.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
The only time I've experienced OLED burn in was on my Galaxy Note... 9? 10+?

Anyway it was because I was driving hours a day for work (thankfully it was work's car) and the Waze UI elements ended up slightly burned in. They were really only visible when those sections of the screen were displaying white, and they were visible as an off-white discoloration.

This was only after 2 years of using Waze for several hours per day, 3-4 days per week.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Chadzok posted:

hi me in six months. following your development with interest

My bones were fine so I got a few anchors and a muscle got a thick knot. I only have around 3 month initial recovery time.
It wasn't bad but then the painkiller injected around the nerve ran out.

Sleeping sitting up is only way i could sleep. Deck is a great boredom killer, been playing phoenix wright and against the storm.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
I wish I had had my Steam Deck back when I hurt my back and couldnt leave my bed.

At this point I think the Steam Deck might turn out to be a net profit purchase decision for me, in that its given me a bold strategy of playing the games I have and definitely want to play, excited for even, but never got around to. Its a lot easier to sink into something a little older when its portable and the hardware just fits playing it.

The issue is focusing on them in a library over 2000 games. I made a Active Backlog collection in Steam of stuff I do really truly want to skink more time into, and chipping away at that seems infinitely more appealing than buying even more games right now.

On the other hand, Dredge looks fun. It never ends.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wish I had had my Steam Deck back when I hurt my back and couldn’t leave my bed.

At this point I think the Steam Deck might turn out to be a net profit purchase decision for me, in that it’s given me a bold strategy of playing the games I have and definitely want to play, excited for even, but never got around to. It’s a lot easier to sink into something a little older when it’s portable and the hardware just fits playing it.

The issue is focusing on them in a library over 2000 games. I made a “Active Backlog” collection in Steam of stuff I do really truly want to skink more time into, and chipping away at that seems infinitely more appealing than buying even more games right now.

Yeah, I have a collection of games that I could realistically get 100% achievements in, so I'm sort of using that as a general guide for clearing my backlog.

Like I'm not going to be attempting beating L4D2 on Realistic mode, because gently caress that (plus, I've put hundreds of hours into L4D2, so I consider that game finished).

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Got my Steam Deck on Friday. While it's awesome to play BG3 on the go I am real glad I spent $700 on a Balatro machine.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

I wish I had had my Steam Deck back when I hurt my back and couldn’t leave my bed.

At this point I think the Steam Deck might turn out to be a net profit purchase decision for me, in that it’s given me a bold strategy of playing the games I have and definitely want to play, excited for even, but never got around to. It’s a lot easier to sink into something a little older when it’s portable and the hardware just fits playing it.

The issue is focusing on them in a library over 2000 games. I made a “Active Backlog” collection in Steam of stuff I do really truly want to skink more time into, and chipping away at that seems infinitely more appealing than buying even more games right now.

I have around 800 games and deck definitely helps me to bring unplayed game numbers down or finish games i otherwise would have not. It just helps you not poo poo where you eat, productivity wise.

Doesn't help at all with the "oh this game is just x with a bit of y" reason of dropping games tho.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hm. Kinda glad everything is very wobbly in Balatro now.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Balatro would be exactly the kind of game to cause burn in otherwise, with most of the UI remaining in the same place constantly, and it being criminally addictive.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Otogi is fairly playable on the Steam Deck now via Xemu. Framerate can get a bit iffy, but I recall it getting iffy on original hardware as well and it's far more playable than it was earlier. Got through 3 or 4 levels just fine.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Got Chiaki working, but it's super unstable for some reason. Every 10 seconds or so I get artifacting and (probably more seriously) inputs won't register or will "stick" (like I'll press right on the d-pad and it'll act like I just held it down for several seconds, presumably because the connection for inputs dropped when I pressed the button).

Basically just seems like the connection quality is really bad. It's not an issue with my internet, since I'm on local wifi and can stream flawlessly using Moonlight. I tried a couple things I saw mentioned online, like changing some encoding setting and lowering bitrate, but without luck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sounds like a network issue, i've never had that

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I had that until I put my PS5 on the wired part of the network.

Frankly I suspect it's a PS thing, and more specifically I suspect that they saved a few bucks by putting in a real garbage wifi chip or just didn't bother putting in any antenna at all or something else dumb. My download speeds with it on Wifi (which is perfectly fine on my laptop, my phone, the deck, etc) are atrocious as well.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the connection to the network via wifi is less than optimal because of the distance and a few intervening walls, but again no other devices have those kinds of problems.

Wire up the PS, see if that fixes it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I had that until I put my PS5 on the wired part of the network.

Frankly I suspect it's a PS thing, and more specifically I suspect that they saved a few bucks by putting in a real garbage wifi chip or just didn't bother putting in any antenna at all or something else dumb. My download speeds with it on Wifi (which is perfectly fine on my laptop, my phone, the deck, etc) are atrocious as well.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the connection to the network via wifi is less than optimal because of the distance and a few intervening walls, but again no other devices have those kinds of problems.

Wire up the PS, see if that fixes it.

Yeah, it's obviously something on the PS end since it's worked with the PC.

My PS5 actually has good download speed, though. Connection test on it is 110Mbps and I was able to download FF7 Rebirth in just a couple hours. It could be that upload speed (which is presumably the important thing for online play) is bad, though. The test didn't measure that.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
yknow. when I had the switch OLED and the steamdeck og, the differences in screen quality between the two was big enough that it made me appreciate the OLED on the switch. now that theyre both OLED it just feels normal now. no longer impressed by OLED.

drat the brains ability to normalize all excellent things

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This morning I was going to make a post asking if anyone else on the experimental firmware was experiencing an issue where the framerate limiter just stopped working and reverted to the old style version of it but then Steam issued a hotfix for that specific issue.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Automata 10 Pack posted:

y’know. when I had the switch OLED and the steamdeck og, the differences in screen quality between the two was big enough that it made me appreciate the OLED on the switch. now that they’re both OLED… it just feels normal now. no longer impressed by OLED.

drat the brain’s ability to normalize all excellent things

This is why screens are a meme.
I have both lcd and oled deck and nice things are the screen size and battery. Colors do not natter as theyre the "ooh nice" for first hour and never notice again kinda thing. Like high refresh rate.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

haddedam posted:

Colors do not natter as theyre the "ooh nice" for first hour and never notice again kinda thing. Like high refresh rate.

until you go back to a 60hz LCD screen and it feels like absolute garbage. More accurate colors and high refresh rate absolutely do matter, they make the experience more enjoyable. If those things are meaningless to you, thats you. Some people are fine with Coors Light, and thats totally ok. But if they try to tell tell us that a craft pale ale is not really any better

Animal fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 13, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Im going from 144hz to 60hz every time i go from computer to the tv, its not a big deal. Every time some new display thing happens theres people lining up to say they can never go back.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

njsykora posted:

Im going from 144hz to 60hz every time i go from computer to the tv, its not a big deal. Every time some new display thing happens theres people lining up to say they can never go back.

My 68 year old mom cant tell the difference either. By the way, its not nearly the same going from a monitor to a TV. The content is mostly below 60fps anyways.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I saw Doom 2016 on the "runs great on steam deck" page so I transferred it from my PC. It run ok I guess, but it takes about 10 minutes to load a map, and then half the textures never load. Then I go to play it on my PC and it changes my entire computer's resolution to 1280x800 and there's no way to access the games settings until you load a game. The main menu of the game is just advertisements for other games and then a a bit of text at the top for "campaign." Hard to believe this was once game of the year.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

njsykora posted:

Yeah it's really not. I have a cheapo TV and a 144Hz HDR monitor I switch between on the fly while playing games. Most of them I lock at 60 just to save on power because having more frames in games like Baldur's Gate 3 is pointless.

I also have a weird dim samsung monitor from 2006 I still use.

It's not a big deal.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

I saw Doom 2016 on the "runs great on steam deck" page so I transferred it from my PC. It run ok I guess, but it takes about 10 minutes to load a map, and then half the textures never load. Then I go to play it on my PC and it changes my entire computer's resolution to 1280x800 and there's no way to access the games settings until you load a game. The main menu of the game is just advertisements for other games and then a a bit of text at the top for "campaign." Hard to believe this was once game of the year.

Use the Vulkan renderer.

If the textures didn't load the mesa developers would have caught it. Doom 2016 is one of the Steam Family Library games that fresh builds of proton and mesa are checked against to ensure lack of regressions. It's highly unlikely that it's buggy out of the box on the steam deck compared to you having misconfigured it for the platform :P

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 13, 2024

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Memnaelar posted:

I need my goon brethren to talk sense at me.

Unicorn Overlord is coming out on every platform BUT PC. I own a Switch but I am ridiculous.

I've considered trying to find a way to emulate the Switch and backup the ROM from a Switch version I'd buy but that seems like a ridiculous amount of work from the guides I've read.

I've considered making my Chiaki4deck open via port-forwarding to use on non-home networks but that both looks complex AND appears to expose me to potential internet vulnerability.

I really want to retire my Switch and just use my Steam Deck for all portable gaming...

...but it'd probably be easiest to just cart my Switch alongside my SteamDeck for a few months, huh?

Signed,

First World Problems.

I saw the name of this game and wanted to play a unicorn who is an overlord and apparently it is neither of those things??? Total bummer

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
OLED is nice, but it's not worth paying more for. The reduced power consumption is way more interesting than anything the screen does.

High refresh rate is nice and worth paying a bit more for, but not really on the deck because it doesn't have the power to hit those framerates in the vast majority of games.
Having said that, 40hz is still perfectly fine to play at. Yes, it's definitely nicer and smoother as you get up above 100 fps, but the only thing that starts to approach unplayable is sub-30.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I paid for the OLED purely for the smaller bezels. The rest of the upgrades were fine but if Im gonna have a giant device for gaming Id at least like to feel that none of the real estate is wasted.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I had an LCD that I barely played for ~1 year. Once I got the OLED I've probably played it more hours despite only having it for a few months. I'm not a stickler for little stuff, but the screen really is a lot better, the battery life feels twice as good, the fan is much, much less intrusive, and it seems to run intensive games a good amount better/cooler. If yoy have the money, I think it's well worth it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Based on the screen, I have found the OLED a nice to have but absolutely not essential. In hindsight I didn't need to be sat there on launch day panicking as everyone frantically refreshed the same broken store for 25 minutes.

The battery and cooler/quieter performance are definitely the wins for me. There is enough overhead there that I pretty much don't run into battery issues, heat or fan noise anymore, despite being extremely fussy about those things with my OG model.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I think I finally found a game where the OLED feels a lot more mandatory: streaming God of War Ragnarok from my PS5. Some of the level design uses a lot of light and shadow that just really feels worse on the deck than it does on my (non-OLED) computer monitor. Dunno, just feels bad. Not bad enough to not play before bed time, but not ideal.

Dead Space, on the other hand, was perfectly fine, both streamed from my desktop and played straight from the deck so I don't know what the gently caress.

edit: well, once I tweaked the graphics on the deck version. I forget what the exact thing was but there was some kind of fog setting or something that really hosed up the deck. Not even in terms of FPS, just looking like muddy dogshit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bumhead posted:

Based on the screen, I have found the OLED a nice to have but absolutely not essential. In hindsight I didn't need to be sat there on launch day panicking as everyone frantically refreshed the same broken store for 25 minutes.

The battery and cooler/quieter performance are definitely the wins for me. There is enough overhead there that I pretty much don't run into battery issues, heat or fan noise anymore, despite being extremely fussy about those things with my OG model.

This is me basically as well. I do notice that now I care much less about framerate and battery consumption and leave stuff to go uncapped vs. about 40 locked on the old LCD. It has enough juice to last through my play sessions these days without needing a charge.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

If any Jeff Minter superfans have already bought Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story please let us know how it works on the Steam Deck.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Animal posted:

My 68 year old mom cant tell the difference either. By the way, its not nearly the same going from a monitor to a TV. The content is mostly below 60fps anyways.

"This doesn't matter that much to me" is not the same thing as "I can't tell the difference."

The first LCD TV I bought was a replacement for a loving amazing Panasonic plasma and the LCD was worse in every way aside from weight, size, and power draw, but it wasn't the end of the world. We recently replaced our older Samsung QLED TV with an S95 OLED and yeah it's great, but that QLED is down in our little gym room and every time I look at it I get a little pang of "we wasted money."

Anyway, the OG Steam Deck had a noticeably lovely display even by LCD standards and I still sunk 100s of hours into that thing despite an OLED Switch always being like ten feet away. I love my OLED, but I'd still be playing the poo poo out of my SD if an evil wizard poofed the screen back into the original. It's fine.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Animal posted:

Yep, Deck 2 better have a larger (smaller bezels) OLED screen with at least 90hz and hopefully VRR.

This comment is a year and a half old, some of us were already complaining about the Decks screen. Turns out I got my wish except for the VRR.

I hated the LCD Decks screen. It wasnt just fine to me, it sucked. Ive been playing much more since I got the OLED. During interviews the Valve engineers have mentioned that they also hated that screen and it was a supply chain compromise, they always intended for it to have a good screen.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Yeah, a quality LCD is perfectly fine for most people in a handheld, though OLED always looks gorgeous. The original deck LCD was not a quality screen, and had a lot of compromises.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Man I forgot how bad the touch screen was in the LCD. The OLED is like any modern phone (does what you expect it to for the most part), the LCD felt like the first ever touch screen in comparison. I hated using the on screen keyboard (even with the touch pads) but doubly so on the LCD when it wouldn't take my inputs correctly at all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If the OLED had VRR it would be perfect

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

What's something good to look at for the spring sale starting tomorrow? I want a game that is easy to start and stop, can be good in short doses, fairly chill with not a huge amount of difficulty. Have enjoyed a lot of Balatro, Dave the Diver, Dredge, Cobalt Core and Dead Cells lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The LCD touchscreen was outright unusable. I almost never use it anyway, but at least it's possible