Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Anybody willing to read the Daggerheart playtest and report back? Apparently Felix Isaacs of Wildsea has a writing credit, which makes me interested, but not quite enough to read it during a busy week.

Also, awkward that the Garath Hanrahan Heart supplement Dagger In The Heart is crowdfunding right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Asterite34 posted:

Depends on a lot of things. Is this a serious science fiction sort of premise, or are you leaning into it being a Zapp Brannigan killbot? Was it designed to kill people for salvation, or was that an unintended side effect of making a robot that could experience sin?

Either way, I'm going with RedempTron

It's serious and i forgot about the futurama episode. this isn't intentional, it's a spiritual thing and this is probably as close to the first one to try doing this. it has a three digit display that projects out behind the back of its head that tracks how many people its killed but it can't see that number. They were originally meant just for war but the war is over and now they're directionless.

I was gonna go with Samsara Overflow but I think Angulimala is really on point.

edit: dang the session is canceled. and i was super excited about it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ominous Jazz posted:

It's serious and i forgot about the futurama episode. this isn't intentional, it's a spiritual thing and this is probably as close to the first one to try doing this. it has a three digit display that projects out behind the back of its head that tracks how many people its killed but it can't see that number. They were originally meant just for war but the war is over and now they're directionless.

Only 3 digits? That's not much for a murderbot. Gotta pump those numbers up.
Should be an unsigned short, 5 digits flipping over at 65535

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bucnasti posted:

It's a signed short that's the entire problem. It's going to keep going until it's killed negative 32,768 people and glitches into ruling heaven.

The only question is why its head counter is in base 72.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 12, 2024

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ominous Jazz posted:

Angulimalware

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

CitizenKeen posted:

Anybody willing to read the Daggerheart playtest and report back? Apparently Felix Isaacs of Wildsea has a writing credit, which makes me interested, but not quite enough to read it during a busy week.

Also, awkward that the Garath Hanrahan Heart supplement Dagger In The Heart is crowdfunding right now.

I have time to read it. I'm grabbing the pdf now

e: I'm grabbing the pdf when it's released, apparently

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 13, 2024

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Splicer posted:

It's a signed short that's the entire problem. It's going to keep going until it's killed negative 32,768 people and glitches into ruling heaven.

The only question is why its head counter is in base 72.

:perfect:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltjZnEOlUlw

what

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Bucnasti posted:

Unless we are romancing 3 different kingdomost, people don't get into triple digit kill counts in war. But maybe it should?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Blikimor/status/1767609196303061487?t=FWRwsUAUTIGF50UMBTeAtQ&s=19

Genuinely brilliant design

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Was this trying to evoke the style of a early 2000s movie maker video / Powerpoint presentation?
I don't really know anything about SMT, so I'm not sure what the "what" was in relation to.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

SMT 3 is probably the last one of the mainline SMTs I'd set a TTRPG in. There's interesting stuff, but the world is not... the most expansive and open to dumb PC bullshit. The time between 1 and 2 that they set the MMO in might be good, even if the MMO was crap. Or during 4, ruined Tokyo in that is a way more interesting world to be a character in.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

oh that's a nice piece of design

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

CitizenKeen posted:

The game has a section at the start where it goes over its influences in a fair amount of detail. As far as overviews go, it's pretty good:

Daggerheart playtest posted:

Touchstones
Daggerheart gleans inspiration from a variety of sources. Below is an abridged list of media the design team drew from while crafting this game.

TTRPGs: 13th Age, Apocalypse Keys, Apocalypse World, Blades in the Dark, City of Mist, Cortex Prime, Cypher System, Dishonored, Dungeons & Dragons, Flee Mortals!, For The Queen, Genesys, Lady Blackbird, Masks: A New Generation, Pathfinder, Shadowrun, The Quiet Year, Wildsea, Slugblaster

Books: A Song of Ice and Fire series, A Wizard of Earthsea, Sabriel, The Wheel of Time, The Lord of the Rings series

Movies & Television: The Dragon Prince, The Lord of the Rings, The Witcher, The Legend of Vox Machina

Video Games: Borderlands, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Outriders, The Elder Scrolls series

Special Appreciation:
● The Genesys System was a major inspiration for the two-axis results of the duality dice.
● Cypher System’s GM Intrusions paved the way for spending Fear to interrupt a scene.
● Among many other things, Dungeons & Dragons’ advantage/disadvantage system was particularly inspirational in the dice mechanics of this game.
● 13th Age’s Backgrounds heavily inspired the Experience mechanic.
● Blades in the Dark and Apocalypse World helped shape the narrative game flow, and their playbooks inspired a lot of the character sheet development.
● The Wildsea’s phenomenal Reaches section provided the chassis for the Regions section of this book.
● Enemy types and ways of managing minions are informed by Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition and the monster design of Flee, Mortals!
● The Quiet Year inspired the map-building section of the campaign kit.
● The sample session zero structure is informed by Apocalypse Keys.

It reads like a modern RPG. Safety tools and player principles are covered before we get to the core mechanic.

Classes are pretty standard D&D. No paladin, instead we have the Seraph. There's also both a Guardian and a Warrior, splitting the two functions generally associated with fighters. Each class gets a choice of two subclasses.

Reskinning is mentioned prominently and up front for classes, spells, weapons, armour. Make it whatever you like as long as you keep the mechanics the same and the description broadly matches the mechanics.

6 core stats, referred to as Traits. No con equivalent, instead dex is split into agility for your flippy stuff and finesse for your lock-picking and pick-pocketing. At least it goes straight to assigning modifiers rather than deriving from an ability score.

Backgrounds are lifted pretty straight from 13th Age and are renamed Experiences. You have to spend a resource called Hope to use them to add to your rolls. More on hope later.

The unique mechanical core of a class comes from domain cards. The domains are Arcana, Blade, Bone, Codex, Grace, Midnight, Sage, Splendor, and Valor. A class is a combination of two domains (Warrior is blade+bone). Each domain has a deck of cards separated by level. The game encourages you to work with the players with whom you have overlapping domains so you pick unique cards, so there's niche protection built into character creation.

Character sheets look like apocalypse world playbooks reformatted to a more familiar d&D look. Lots of lists to choose options from, advancement sections with check boxes.

Domain cards are your abilities and spells. They're level restricted and they have what's called a Recall cost. Your loadout is restricted to a maximum of 5 cards. You can switch them freely in downtime or you can pay Stress equal to their recall cost to switch them in the moment. Some abilities are always available, some are expended and refresh on short or long rests.

Multiclassing is in but it works like * World games (pick a move from another class instead of your normal level up benefit) and it's not available until level 5+

Levelling is pure milestone-based with a suggested pace of once per three sessions. Max level is 10

The play structure is mostly straight from apocalypse world: no player turns, GM moves in response to certain conditions. For complex combat encounters there is an optional Action Tracker you can use to give things more structure. More on this later

The core mechanic is 2d12 vs a DC set by the GM. One D12 is your hope die, the other is your fear die. Whichever one is higher determines whether the player gains Hope or the GM gains Fear. These are currencies that can be spent.
Hope can be used to aid your allies (they gain a d6 to add to their roll, works like boons and banes where multiple sources roll multiple d6 and take the best), use an Experience to add its modifier to a roll, or activate a feature of your character that costs Hope.
Rolling with Fear as highest adds a complication in the moment and also gives the GM a fear which can be spent to beef up an enemy or trigger bad environmental effects.
Matching d12s is a crit, you get extra effect and clear one stress.
Action rolls are 2D12 + relevant trait bonus + Experience bonus (optional) + situational modifiers vs. a DC set by the GM (GM's discretion if it's open or hidden). GM has final say over which trait applies

Damage is... interesting. You have HP and you have three numerical Damage Thresholds determined by your class. These are Minor, Major and Severe. These thresholds translate incoming damage into HP damage. Let's say my thresholds are 5, 10, 15 respectively. If I take 6 damage that's a minor hit, I mark off 1HP. If I take 12 damage that's a Major, I mark off 2HP. Severe is 3HP. Anything below your minor threshold results in one stress instead of HP damage.

Attack rolls work like action rolls but the weapon or spell you're using will tell you what Trait to use and the target number is determined by the target's Evasion Score. For PCs, this score is a function of your class and your gear

Advantage and Disadvantage are here, but they don't work like 5E. They're identical to boons and banes in Shadow of the Demon Lord: each instance of advantage adds a d6 to your action roll, you keep the highest. Disadvantage and Advantage cancel each other out one for one

Combat is theatre of the mind, with maps optional. No grid here, just a straight lift of 13th Age abstract position. AOE abilities are tagged as targeting a group, which is defined as creatures in the same area that are Close to each other. Moving out of an area with enemies in it takes an Agility roll with the effects of failure left to the GM.

Earlier I mentioned the Action Tracker for more structured combat. The GM introduces this at their discretion. When a player makes an action roll in combat, they place a token on the tracker. When the GM makes a move, they spend one token from the tracker per enemy action. So it's just a system to keep the action economy roughly even during big fights. The GM can also buy tokens with fear (2 fear per token), and can convert tokens into fear at the same rate when appropriate (enemies retreat, for example)

Downtime is the game's resting system. Short Rests are an hour (boooooo). Long rests are "a few hours". There are a bunch of activities you can choose from during downtime, you pick two from a list. The long rest list has extra options. Short rest stress and HP healing roll a D4 to see how much you heal. Long Rest healing is a full heal.

Big D&D style weapon and armour tables. Nothing really exciting, mostly just equivalent weapons that roll with different traits (equivalent to finesse) and beefier weapons that come with trade-offs (big hammer hits hard but gives you -1 to agility)

A very PBTA example of play. 7 pages, with a "what would you have done differently" section for the GM at the end.

The GM section is also straight from PBTA, with one disappointing difference. Instead of saying "these are the rules for you, GM, don't gently caress about", it goes for the D&D approach and opens the chapter by telling you to ignore anything that makes your tummy feel bad.

The GM does roll dice in this game, as implied by the fact that PCs have an evasion score, but only for monster attacks and abilities. GM rolls use a d20 instead of 2d12. The rationale for this is that players want their abilities to work with some consistency whereas GM effects should be more variable for drama

There's a big list of example DCs broken up by trait

Some kind of loose encounter building guidelines that the document calls out as being very work in progress and invites feedback. It's very reminiscent of 4E. Enemy archetypes (support, bruiser etc), minions, solos. Even-level encounters are basically one-for-one enemies of the same level as the players so, again, very much like 4E. There are some notes on levelling enemies up and down but they're pretty loose mathematically

There's a big section that reads like the 4E DMGs about building adventures and campaigns for different types of players. Good stuff.

The rest of the book details some areas of the world with a big list of monsters for each, then gives you a hotlinked list of the same monsters organised by level. The monster descriptions are compact but useful with stuff like tactics and motives as well as their stats and abilities. Again much like 4E, you get a section of one monster type with 4 or 5 interesting variants making it easy to assemble a bandit encounter that isn't just 5 identical guys.

That feels like I've covered the important core stuff, feel free to ask me any questions. I'm going to have a read through the various domain cards later to see how class balance looks

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 13, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hmm.

Level 10 Warrior Ability: when you successfully attack an enemy, spend 5 hope (the most you can bank) to deal direct HP damage equal to the amount of HP damage you've taken

Level 10 Wizard Spell: Time Stop with the caveat that time starts again when you make an action roll targeting a creature. At least you have to roll for it I guess? Oh and the same card also gives you the ability to spend 5 hope to become immune to all magic damage until the next short rest

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 13, 2024

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Should it have been based off the setting of SMT 3? (No)
World's greatest debate, closed on page 108.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ripping pages out of a travel guidebook and hastily glueing them to cardstock.
“First draft of the setting guide is ready!”

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Tarnop posted:

Hmm.

Level 10 Warrior Ability: when you successfully attack an enemy, spend 5 hope (the most you can bank) to deal direct HP damage equal to the amount of HP damage you've taken

Level 10 Wizard Spell: Time Stop with the caveat that time starts again when you make an action roll targeting a creature. At least you have to roll for it I guess? Oh and the same card also gives you the ability to spend 5 hope to become immune to all magic damage until the next short rest

Might as well play d&d then, I guess.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The list of influences is weird because it doesn't give me an impression more specific than "generic fantasy RPG." I guess the mention of Sabriel suggests there might be an interesting necromancer class?

I'm curious enough to check out the playtest, but not especially optimistic.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Tarnop posted:

That is potentially a one-shot kill, right?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

DalaranJ posted:

Should it have been based off the setting of SMT 3? (No)
World's greatest debate, closed on page 108.

I would've been on board if they pitched it as the demifiend not existing and this being an alternative take on the events. Instead it feels like someone converted the Prima Strategy guide into a campaign.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I still want the weird mishmash setting I imagined when first hearing about elements of SMT3, Digital Devil Saga, and Devil Survivor all in one confusing, meandering IRC conversation. Demon-transformed protagonists trying to secure magical power and resources in an apocalyptic world while trying to hold on to their humanity around the communities of mere mortal survivors they had taken under their wing, which was complicated by a terrible cannibalistic hunger.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The list of influences is weird because it doesn't give me an impression more specific than "generic fantasy RPG." I guess the mention of Sabriel suggests there might be an interesting necromancer class?

I guess the absences are interesting from a certain point of view: the only pre-D&D sources are LotR and Earthsea, and the only non-Anglophone source is The Witcher.

As tempting as it is to dunk on them for this, I do appreciate that they don't do the common TTRPG thing of genuflecting to sources the writers obviously haven't actually read (the "Appendix N" pulp fantasy writers when your actual inspiration is old-school D&D, the "Appendix N" pulp fantasy writers plus a few token non-white writers when your actual inspiration is D&D 3e, ancient epics when your actual inspiration is anime).

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Sure, but only against something that has less HP than you and only after you've taken a lot of damage, so pretty late in the fight.

I guess it's a pretty decent power when you're down and need to make a comeback. Not much use if you're doing ok anyway. Time stop, on the other hand, seems like the kind of thing that lets you dominate and make sure you're not going to end up in a bad position in the first place.

I also wonder how the power interacts with healing. Can you take 3 damage, heal it all back, take 3 more damage, and then use the power to deal 6 damage? If that's the case and if fighter self-healing is available, that improves the power quite a lot. Tank, self-heal, tank, self-heal, tank, then absolutely unload on the boss. Hell yeah. But that's only going to work in a system that has a great love for fighters.

The thing I wonder is how these work outside of combat. Can you use combat powers outside combat at all? Assuming you can, time stop obviously has almost infinitely more versatility than that fighter power. The fighter power does... I think nothing outside of combat? (because you haven't taken damage, because you're not in combat). Time stop outside of combat is insanely versatile and useful. Do they have the guts to tell players "nope, this is a combat power only. You just can't do it out of combat."? I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do.

As a thought exercise, assuming the combat balance was ok, if I wanted to give that fighter power some non-combat juice, I'd make "damage" very broad. So if you've been emotionally hurt, you can verbally lash out and make someone else feel just as terrible as you do. If you've lost everything, you can make them lose everything, too. Just drag your enemies down to your level. Then play an absolute sad sack character who keeps getting poo poo on by the world, and pass all of that on to your rivals and opponents.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

I found it kind of interesting how many of those influences already have their own TRPG adaptations (or the other way around, for Vox Machina).

disposablewords posted:

I still want the weird mishmash setting I imagined when first hearing about elements of SMT3, Digital Devil Saga, and Devil Survivor all in one confusing, meandering IRC conversation. Demon-transformed protagonists trying to secure magical power and resources in an apocalyptic world while trying to hold on to their humanity around the communities of mere mortal survivors they had taken under their wing, which was complicated by a terrible cannibalistic hunger.

drat, now I do too!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
OK, thoughts what I've read of the playtest so far:
  • It's 377 pages long. That's short compared to the D&D-style multi-book approach, but long compared to the OSR games I've been reading lately - and I assume the final version will be even longer.
  • Table of Contents: The list of classes looks pretty standard, assuming Guardian corresponds to Paladin and Seraph to Cleric. I admit that the class list, along with the mention of something called the Arcana Domain, inspired a knee-jerk "ugh, generalist spellcasters" reaction in me. No obvious Monk or Barbarian equivalent, though I suspect this is the kind of game that will add them later (probably called something like Adept and Berserker) along with Psions and Warlocks.
  • More Table of Contents: The ancestries look pretty standard too. We have elves, dwarves, halflings, goblins, and orcs. Slightly less expectedly, we have faeries and fauns. I assume clanks, daemons, drakona, fungril, ribbets, and simiah are, respectively, warforged, tieflings, dragonborn, mushroom-people, frog-people, and ape-people. From the Critical Role wiki I gather than galapas and katari are, respectively, turtle-people and cat-people. Playable giants are unusual, at least, though with good reason; I hope this setting has either small giants or large doorways. Having playable giants and firbolgs is especially odd; I'll have to see how they distinguish them.
  • Introduction: This is sort of ambiguous about whether the game is meant to be played in a trad, neo-trad, or storygame style, though given the connection to Critical Role I assume the intent is neo-trad. The promise of rules-lightness is a bit odd for a game that's 377 pages long.
  • Core Realms: This is basically the standard D&D cosmology, minus some alignment-related baggage.
  • Step 3: Assign Character Traits: A slight variation on the standard 6; in effect, Str is merged with Con, while Dex is split into Agility and Finesse. Seems good for Fighter-types and bad for Rogue-types. Then again, Agility covers some things that fall under Strength in some other games, so maybe not that good for Fighter-types.
  • Step 7: Choose Your Experiences: Ugh, 13th Age-style freeform skills. Most of the examples given are fine, but I Won't Let You Down is the sort of vague thing players will try to apply to everything.
  • Domains: The two-domain approach to classes implies the existence of 36 possible classes, leaving plenty of room for splatbooks if they want to go that route. The descriptions of Arcana and Codex are a bit vague, but I guess Arcana is for blasting and Codex is for divination and illusion magic?
  • Domain Cards: The loadout/vault approach is interesting. It combines what many games do separately as Vancian preparation and retraining. The limit of eight total cards at once reins in the complexity that high-level characters (especially casters) suffer from in some games - though maybe it doesn't rein it in that much, if you have magic items that grant possible actions too.

So far, nothing obviously awful (so long as the GM is sensible regarding allowable Experiences), but nothing special. The thing that stands out most is probably Hope/Fear. It has the potential to bog down the game with bookkeeping, but I don't want to prejudge that; it's something to evaluate in actual playtesting, I guess.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Each Power in the Codex domain is literally a book of spells. Low level powers give you 2-3 small effects each, but they all give you 2 stress when you use them? Arcana is general sorcerer like effects: scry, blast, barrier, flight. They are also cheaper.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tarnop posted:

Hmm.

...taken ever???

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Splicer posted:

...taken ever???

That you have currently marked.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
That’s saved for the tonberry class

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Which class is a Super Saiyan

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jimbozig posted:

The thing I wonder is how these work outside of combat. Can you use combat powers outside combat at all? Assuming you can, time stop obviously has almost infinitely more versatility than that fighter power. The fighter power does... I think nothing outside of combat? (because you haven't taken damage, because you're not in combat). Time stop outside of combat is insanely versatile and useful. Do they have the guts to tell players "nope, this is a combat power only. You just can't do it out of combat."? I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do

There are a bunch of non-combat spells, it's all the stuff you'd expect like telepathy, arcane lock, illusion, disguise self, teleport, make a magical house in a pocket dimension. So casters get a bunch of narrative powers that let you sidestep combat completely (although you do, at least, have to roll for most of them), warriors get "hit a guy real hard". The book also suggests that the GM should be amenable to creative interpretations of spells.

I plan on running the playtest, if possible, and leaving feedback but this kind of thing tends to be core design philosophy stuff.

YggdrasilTM posted:

It is. The warrior starts with 6HP and you can spend your levelling bonuses to get 5 more. There's also a card that you can take to give you another (instead of an ability) for a max of 12.

The monster with the highest HP is a Kraken with 15

e: I was off by one for warrior max HP

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 13, 2024

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

If you roll doubles do you get laser feelings hopeful fear?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

DalaranJ posted:

If you roll doubles do you get laser feelings hopeful fear?

Doubles is a crit, you get extra effect on top of what you were trying to do, gain a hope and clear one stress.

If you crit on something that does damage, you roll damage as normal then add damage equal to the max roll on all your damage dice (so 2d6+4 becomes 2d6+16)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Silver2195 posted:

There isn't a necromancer class, sadly

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Tarnop posted:

There are a bunch of non-combat spells, it's all the stuff you'd expect like telepathy, arcane lock, illusion, disguise self, teleport, make a magical house in a pocket dimension. So casters get a bunch of narrative powers that let you sidestep combat completely (although you do, at least, have to roll for most of them), warriors get "hit a guy real hard". The book also suggests that the GM should be amenable to creative interpretations of spells.

Ok, that's some caster supremacy BS, but what does it say about using combat powers outside of combat? Because if you are allowed to, then warriors will get like 8 more "hit a guy real hard" abilities while casters will get a variety of cool effects.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
OK, first up: the Bard.

• The class items seem overly specific. Every single Bard starts with either a romance novel or an unopened letter? I guess it makes sense in a world where player characters are assumed to be unique-ish, rather than every city having a Bards' Guild full of people exactly like player character Bards.
  • The Rally class feature is not assuaging my concerns about Hope/Fear bookkeeping.
  • Characters in this game are more complex than I realized. You eventually get three subclass cards instead of just one, and the Troubadour's Foundation feature is actually three separate daily spells.
  • Next up: the Druid. This class is maybe a bit too versatile. If I understand correctly, you get a winged scout form automatically at level 2.
  • Next up: the Guardian. Wait a minute, this is a reskinned and more defensively-oriented version of the Barbarian! I guess the Seraph is going to be the Paladin equivalent, so no Cleric. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Clerics myself, conceptually (despite currently playing one in a PF2 game); they come with a lot of weird setting baggage about gods, religion, health care, and death, which if not carefully addressed will turn any setting that includes them into the Forgotten Realms.
  • Next is the Ranger. It's fine, I guess. Making the animal companion a subclass feature rather than a class feature seems like a good way to allow for variable complexity.
  • The Rogue: I think the Syndicate Foundation feature leaves too much to GM adjudication compared to other abilities in the game so far.
  • The Rogue's class items are actually useful items rather than flavor things, which is an odd difference from other classes.
  • The Seraph is a Paladin, with the twist of a subclass option of flight at level 1. Though there's a substantial chance to drop out of the sky the next time you make a skill check, so better be careful!

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 13, 2024

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Ok, that's some caster supremacy BS, but what does it say about using combat powers outside of combat? Because if you are allowed to, then warriors will get like 8 more "hit a guy real hard" abilities while casters will get a variety of cool effects.

Eh, a warrior power at level 1is basically a sight-range teleport

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Next up: the Guardian. Wait a minute, this is a reskinned and more defensively-oriented version of the Barbarian!

Honestly, no. Guardian is a tank/warlord hybrid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jimbozig posted:

Most of the combat powers (looking at the warrior here) have the trigger "when you make an attack roll" or "when you make a damage roll"

An attack roll is defined as follows: "When you make an action roll with the intent to do harm to an enemy, you’re making an attack roll"
A damage roll is defined as follows: "When you succeed on an attack roll against an enemy, you’ll then make a damage roll to determine how much damage—and thus what tier of Hit Points—your attack inflicts on that target."

So unless you are trying to hurt an enemy, most of the warrior's abilities do nothing. I checked and the warrior has three non-combat abilities in the domain cards available to them. Once per long rest you and an ally gain 3 hope, upgrade your helping dice from a d6 to a d8, and take an long rest option during a short rest

Silver2195 posted:

[*]Step 7: Choose Your Experiences: Ugh, 13th Age-style freeform skills. Most of the examples given are fine, but I Won't Let You Down is the sort of vague thing players will try to apply to everything.

So far, nothing obviously awful (so long as the GM is sensible regarding allowable Experiences), but nothing special. The thing that stands out most is probably Hope/Fear. It has the potential to bog down the game with bookkeeping, but I don't want to prejudge that; it's something to evaluate in actual playtesting, I guess.

I tend towards being fine about broadly applicable backgrounds, as long as the player is saying something interesting about the world when applying them. However, Daggerheart adopts the BitD philosophy of making all the weasely poo poo players love to do cost a resource (stress or, for Experiences, hope) so that should rein it in a bit for GMs that dislike them.

I expect hope and fear to be reasonably easy to track with just poker chips or coins or whatever. The thing that sounds the most fiddly to me is constantly converting from Damage to HP, especially since it also applies to enemies.