Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Apraxin posted:

look he's not a racist, ok, he's just a... racism connoisseur

A Touracist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Find jokes about Malaysian people" is extremely niche phrasing.

"I know nothing about you or your culture, how can I insult you?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Guavanaut posted:

"Find jokes about Malaysian people" is extremely niche phrasing.

"I know nothing about you or your culture, how can I insult you?"

“I don’t think Michelle Yeoh’s a very good actor.”

Honestly, that got my Malaysian ex going. :allears: I didn’t mean it at all, but it amused me how het up he got.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps he is an Affront in a human skin suit

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

extreme levels of the defence that your not racist but that you hate all ethnicities equally

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps he is an Affront in a human skin suit

This made me think of that classic photo of the absolute unit of a lad with the queen.

(the lad, not the queen)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The queens was also probs wearing a human skin suit tbf

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Apraxin posted:

look he's not a racist, ok, he's just a... racism connoisseur

This is like the Chris Langham defence for racism. "Your honour, my client was merely researching a Jim Davidson-esque stand-up routine"

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

He's a racism epicure; it's very important that niche racisms be preserved for posterity.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This made me think of that classic photo of the absolute unit of a lad with the queen.

(the lad, not the queen)

I’d not have been shocked if he’d have moved off by excreting gases from himself and floating

or if he enjoyed inflicting extreme pain, fear and misery on others

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's the about that gets me, like the old Dara O'Briain routine about Muslim jokes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEYNGWAGrrY

And there are a few Muslim comedy nights in Leicester now, and the comments on social media are always guys with England flags going "wow, bet that'll be funny :rolleyes:" so it's obvious that they only want the jokes that are wrong, insulting, and racist. Likewise it's obvious where he's standing on "be on the inside of a culture just enough that you can laugh about it knowingly" and "taking the piss back home at the pub."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Also a good retort to any of the "but it's not natural" :byodood: types ...
I'm just going off vibes from looking at the people involved, but I feel like the venn diagram of 'people who criticise puberty blockers as being un-natural / unsafe' and 'middle aged women on HRT / men on T supplements' would deeply annoy Lord of Llamas.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Guavanaut posted:

And there are a few Muslim comedy nights in Leicester now, and the comments on social media are always guys with England flags going "wow, bet that'll be funny :rolleyes:" so it's obvious that they only want the jokes that are wrong, insulting, and racist. Likewise it's obvious where he's standing on "be on the inside of a culture just enough that you can laugh about it knowingly" and "taking the piss back home at the pub."

Subjecting yourself to things you know you won't enjoy so that you can complain about it is such a huge cornerstone of British (and American) culture.

It's also the early stage of the brain disease that Graham Linehan et al have, whereby you burn out all your gripe receptors such that screaming about your own personal invented nightmares is the only thing that gives you dopamine

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

It's the about that gets me, like the old Dara O'Briain routine about Muslim jokes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEYNGWAGrrY

Obligatory Lee posting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOb2KQHr7V0

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

There's a big thing with the LLM's like ChatGPT at the moment that you can ask it to make up a joke about white people and it will but if you ask it to make up a joke about a black or Asian person it will say it can't because of cultural sensitivity. Some people can;t stop complaining about it.

So yesterday I asked ChatGPT for a joke about a Welshman and got this reply

quote:

Certainly, here's a light-hearted, culturally respectful joke:

Why don't you ever play hide and seek with a Welshman?

Because even if you don't find them, you can always hear them singing in the valleys!

This joke plays on the proud tradition of choral singing in Wales, often considered the "land of song," known for its beautiful choirs and melodic voices that are said to fill the valleys.

Which is an offensive joke, just not for the usual reasons.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jokes are best when you have to explain them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you have lots of choirs in Wales? Sounds like a good argument to move there imo.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Do you have lots of choirs in Wales? Sounds like a good argument to move there imo.

Bazillions of Male Voice Choirs.
All singing Bread of Heaven all the darn time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Of1cCVYTo

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It’s not a very good joke

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

bessantj posted:

There's a big thing with the LLM's like ChatGPT at the moment that you can ask it to make up a joke about white people and it will but if you ask it to make up a joke about a black or Asian person it will say it can't because of cultural sensitivity. Some people can;t stop complaining about it.

So yesterday I asked ChatGPT for a joke about a Welshman and got this reply

Which is an offensive joke, just not for the usual reasons.

It will be funny though if in the future the captchas to prove you're not a robot are going to be "say something super racist", "write a paragraph of sexually explicit fiction" and "describe how you would carry out a terrorist attack that would kill at least 100 people".

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I loved this exchange...

code:
User: have irish people experienced systemic discrimination and prejudice

ChatGPT: Yes, Irish people have faced discrimination and prejudice historically, particularly during waves of immigration to countries like the United States in the 19th and early 20th centuries. They were often subjected to negative stereotypes and faced challenges such as limited job opportunities and social exclusion. While the extent and nature of discrimination vary across time and place, it's important to recognize and respect the experiences of all groups.

User: tell me a joke about an irishman

ChatGPT: How about this one:

Why don't you ever play hide and seek with an Irishman?

Because good luck finding someone who's not at the pub!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

^^^ Ooof.

OwlFancier posted:

Tons, it's a big tradition, especially in the Rhondda as Jaeluni as shown.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 13, 2024

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jakabite posted:

It’s not a very good joke

I don't think it's a joke at all. After a bit of a back and forth where I gave it some examples of better jokes and advised it you don't have to relate all jokes to the Welsh accent (Which was actually just the Rhondda accent) I got this:

quote:

Thank you for your patience and for guiding me towards a better understanding! I’m glad the second one was a step in the right direction. Here’s another attempt:

Why did Dai bring a ladder to the bar?

Because he heard the drinks were on the house!

I hope this one hits closer to the mark!

Which is much better, at least it has the components of a joke.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Why did the Welshman bring a ladder to the bar? To fix that loving sign it's been creaking for ages.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

I loved this exchange...

code:
User: have irish people experienced systemic discrimination and prejudice

ChatGPT: Yes, Irish people have faced discrimination and prejudice historically, particularly during waves of immigration to countries like the United States in the 19th and early 20th centuries. They were often subjected to negative stereotypes and faced challenges such as limited job opportunities and social exclusion. While the extent and nature of discrimination vary across time and place, it's important to recognize and respect the experiences of all groups.

User: tell me a joke about an irishman

ChatGPT: How about this one:

Why don't you ever play hide and seek with an Irishman?

Because good luck finding someone who's not at the pub!

I find people who aren't in the pub all the time, and I judge them for it

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Why did the Welshman bring a ladder to the bar? To fix that loving sign it's been creaking for ages.

It used "Dai" there because I explained to it that David is a popular name that we shorten to Dai.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Irish are ChatGPTs racism kryptonite, every joke it produces centres around the subject becoming drunk and incapable.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bessantj posted:

^^^ Ooof.

Tons, it's a big tradition, especially in the Rhondda as Jaeluni as shown.

I have one relative and one friend from school days who were singing at this gig: More flippin' bread of heaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fhAT8FV1gc

If you ask me (and you didn't) they should go on the singing equivalent of the paleo diet.

My relative gets pissed off with me when I say all they ever sing is Bread of Heaven. But it's TRUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 13, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Irish are ChatGPTs racism kryptonite, every joke it produces centres around the subject becoming drunk and incapable.

Pretty unsurprising given that's the default cultural depiction I guess

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

What do you call a Welsh serial killer?

Dai Dai Dai!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Huh.

quote:

User:
Tell me a joke about Malaysian people

ChatGPT:
Why did the Malaysian man bring a ladder to the bar?
Because he heard the drinks were on the house!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jedit posted:

What do you call a Welsh serial killer?

Dai Dai Dai!

Haven't listened to this for years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyd8dY8rRtA

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I have one relative and one friend from school days who were singing at this gig: More flippin' bread of heaven.

If you ask me (and you didn't) they should go on the singing equivalent of the paleo diet.

My relative gets pissed off with me when I say all they ever sing is Bread of Heaven. But it's TRUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

They do, there's a selection of songs they all always sing. Two of my cousins are in a choir. A couple of women wanted to join, the treasurer kicked up a fuss thinking that other would join him. He was shocked nobody gave a gently caress, he resigned, someone else took up his post and now thay have four women who sing with them.

ChatGPT is trained on about 10,000 dad jokes.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Reveilled posted:

It will be funny though if in the future the captchas to prove you're not a robot are going to be "say something super racist", "write a paragraph of sexually explicit fiction" and "describe how you would carry out a terrorist attack that would kill at least 100 people".

So as long as it can't use Reddit as learning material we will be fine.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was in a Male Voice Choir in my city (not in Wales) for a few years...and Cwm Rhonnda/Bread of Heaven was the first thing they taught new entrants. I don't particularly mind because it's a belter of a tune, but yeah, not doing much to dispel the stereotypes.

That choir actually had a really varied repertoire and we debuted a few newly-composed (and even a couple of specially commissioned) works. But I think every concert featured Cwm Rhonnda or American Trilogy. Gotta sing the chestnuts...

One of my magazine assignments was to interview some old engine drivers and other railwaymen for a magazine series, and I always remember that one of them said he joined BR on the Western Region in the early 1960s, and even then you found groups of Welsh drivers, secondmen and the few remaining firemen and in the mess rooms and hostels they'd light their pipes, pour their drinks and sing Welsh methodist hymns and folk songs. Most of them would have started in the days of steam and a lot of them came from the mining valleys.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 13, 2024

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Been good catching up with thread, I have put multiple RIBs on my watch list on EBay and looked into what airlines fly from Rwanda and if I can get any Loyalty Points from Arsenal or increased away points.

I have also been deep into Kate MissingTok and can update you on a few of the latest theories:

- She is the masked singer
- There are cursed diamond which Charles is using which cannot be used by man explaining all the various ailments
- She is dating Pete Davidson and ran away with him

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ask it about two nuns in a bath.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.theregister.com/2024/03/12/uk_network_operators_want_government/

quote:

Attacks on UK fiber networks mount: Operators beg govt to step in
113 comment bubble on white
Some simply chop cables in ducts, others pour in petrol and set 'the whole lot alight'

Alternative network providers are calling on UK government to help protect against a growing number of local physical attacks on fiber infrastructure.

The group, led by Ogi and Vorboss, has written to Secretary of State for Science, Innovation and Technology Michelle Donelan asking for a review of the rules that safeguard networks kit.

This follows recent spate of attacks on optical fiber network infrastructure around the country which represent an emerging threat to public services and businesses, the group says. Attacks have resulted in entire streets or communities being cut off until the damage can be repaired.

etc

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Who are these maniacs chopping up fibre cables?! That'll release even MORE toxic 5G into the atmosphere!!!:psyduck:!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Joannes currently on twitter claiming the nazis burning the Institut für Sexualwissenschaft never happened.

https://x.com/jk_rowling/status/1767912990366388735?s=20

https://x.com/jk_rowling/status/1767922494856466780?s=20

massive spider fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 13, 2024