Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I've been contemplating picking up an OLED if/when they go on sale. I'm generally happy with my LCD, but I do have a bit of paralysis when choosing to play a game on my Switch OLED vs. SD.

I don't get how the non-VRR 90 Hz refresh works though. Many games on Steam--mostly 2D games--have an internal 60 Hz refresh timer, so at 90 Hz refresh you'd end up with bad frame pacing and have to manually clock down to 60 Hz for those titles to fix it. Is that what happens and something people just don't notice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Fists Up posted:

What's something good to look at for the spring sale starting tomorrow? I want a game that is easy to start and stop, can be good in short doses, fairly chill with not a huge amount of difficulty. Have enjoyed a lot of Balatro, Dave the Diver, Dredge, Cobalt Core and Dead Cells lately.

Cocoon, Hyper-Light Drifter, Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I've been contemplating picking up an OLED if/when they go on sale. I'm generally happy with my LCD, but I do have a bit of paralysis when choosing to play a game on my Switch OLED vs. SD.

I don't get how the non-VRR 90 Hz refresh works though. Many games on Steam--mostly 2D games--have an internal 60 Hz refresh timer, so at 90 Hz refresh you'd end up with bad frame pacing and have to manually clock down to 60 Hz for those titles to fix it. Is that what happens and something people just don't notice?

The Steam OS lets you choose arbitrary refresh rates. You can run games at 60fps/60hz, or 45fps/90hz, etc. its great. It really helps make up for the lack of VRR

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

does helldivers 2 work at all on the deck?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well enough if you dont care at all about performance

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Serviceable to dispense democracy as long as you dont expect good performance. You can knock everything to low and hang around 30fps but during combat, especially if the planet has any environmental effects going on, itll be closer to the mid 20s.

Its fine as long as youre doing challenging or easier missions. Anything more and youll be really pushing what you can get away with. Easy defend missions where you spam stratagems are fine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well enough if you dont care at all about performance

k thanks, appreciate it, I'll give it a shot

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Fists Up posted:

What's something good to look at for the spring sale starting tomorrow? I want a game that is easy to start and stop, can be good in short doses, fairly chill with not a huge amount of difficulty. Have enjoyed a lot of Balatro, Dave the Diver, Dredge, Cobalt Core and Dead Cells lately.

Batman Arkham City and Portal 1/2 come to mind and all work nicely on the Deck.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Animal posted:

The Steam OS lets you choose arbitrary refresh rates.
Right, but I mean I assume that most people aren't doing that. So what's the default behavior?

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Animal posted:

until you go back to a 60hz LCD screen and it feels like absolute garbage. More accurate colors and high refresh rate absolutely do matter, they make the experience more enjoyable. If those things are meaningless to you, that’s you. Some people are fine with Coors Light, and that’s totally ok. But if they try to tell tell us that a craft pale ale is not really any better…

I did and it's not a big deal

I have a 2k 144hz monitor and a 1080p art tablet with accurate colors as my second monitor and I can't tell they're different without having to remind myself. And I spent large amount of my day staring down close at the tablet while glancing at the 144hz.
Most noticeable is color accuracy but only when i move my work from one to another, even then only after I spent a long time staring at it.

Reminder that displays are a solved technology and unless they're really poo poo it's not a tantrum-throwing issue like reddit implies. As anyone who has ever done visual arts knows: it's the difference between colors and values, not having a few % more range.
And even then only if you are comparing them directly

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Right, but I mean I assume that most people aren't doing that. So what's the default behavior?

If you dont change it it will default to whatever is set in the global settings. Most normies probably wont notice the uneven frame pacing.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Fists Up posted:

Pausable;
Disagea 5, against the storm, quasimorph, caves of qud, space heaven, world of horror
Other suggestions:
art of rally, devil spire, barony, euro truck sim, mortal sin, lumencraft(or rift breaker), super woden gp2, sludge life, valkyria chromicles, witch spring r

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the Etrian Odyssey HD collection is all I have my eyes on. I gotta draw more maps!!!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

abraham linksys posted:

the Etrian Odyssey HD collection is all I have my eyes on. I gotta draw more maps!!!

I certainly hopefully it's a decent sale because whew, $80 even with the bundle discount.

Not that that's a bad price per-game, it's just more than I can afford right now :saddowns:.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the last sale they were $20 each so the bundle is probably like $50, which seems much more reasonable. I picked up 1 on that sale and loved it, gonna get 2 and 3 this time around (assuming they all go on sale again, which... hopefully???)

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

One game I dont see mentioned much is Star of Providence, formerly Monolith, which is an excellent bullet hell rogue like/lite. I dont normally really care for bullet hells but this one stands out and its a great deck game.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Vic posted:

Yeah it's really not. I have a cheapo TV and a 144Hz HDR monitor I switch between on the fly while playing games. Most of them I lock at 60 just to save on power because having more frames in games like Baldur's Gate 3 is pointless.

I also have a weird dim samsung monitor from 2006 I still use.

It's not a big deal.

yeah idk about that. i like to put a game on the tv sometimes to kick back on the couch but my monitor is 144 and tv is 60, both support HDR but the TV's is much better (due to actually having dimming zones and 1k nit brightness vs one backlight and 400 nits). I like the nicer HDR and couch lounging but they're very different experiences and the framerate is one big reason why!

also as mentioned the LCD screen in the deck was passable at best, with the touchscreen being downright awful to use in anything other than an emergency. the OLED screen is pretty decent, not super high end but a substantial improvement and even now months down the line the brightness and color saturation are noticeable every day

i still don't use the touchscreen much, partly due to my LCD deck experiences with it

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

CLAM DOWN posted:

yeah but with inconsistent FPS. Don't mind the that as much (feels good enough for controller input) as the picture becomes very blurry at the required settings to have it run acceptable

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

parasyte posted:

yeah idk about that. i like to put a game on the tv sometimes to kick back on the couch but my monitor is 144 and tv is 60, both support HDR but the TV's is much better (due to actually having dimming zones and 1k nit brightness vs one backlight and 400 nits). I like the nicer HDR and couch lounging but they're very different experiences and the framerate is one big reason why!

also as mentioned the LCD screen in the deck was passable at best, with the touchscreen being downright awful to use in anything other than an emergency. the OLED screen is pretty decent, not super high end but a substantial improvement and even now months down the line the brightness and color saturation are noticeable every day

i still don't use the touchscreen much, partly due to my LCD deck experiences with it

I use touchscreen for typing and against the dtorm/quasimorph and it is fine.
My issues are that it is sometimes turned off and can't be enabled and for some reason default mouse click is double tap, which makes it almost impossible to use the screen to click buttons unless the game changes it.

Steam os still has some ways to go.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

parasyte posted:

Yeah nobody is arguing better screen isn't better or that it isn't noticeable. It's just not a big deal.

People need to calm down, the OLDE deck is fine.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

CRAYON posted:

If any Jeff Minter superfans have already bought Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story please let us know how it works on the Steam Deck.

Not tried it on the Steam Deck yet, but it's perfectly fine in normal Linux with Proton, so it'd probably work fine.

As far as I can tell there is NO keyboard input. Had to hook up a controller. Probably a good indication that it's well suited to the Deck.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

CRAYON posted:

If any Jeff Minter superfans have already bought Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story please let us know how it works on the Steam Deck.

Just played an hour of it, and it works pretty good, I was mostly watching the documentary and playing Tempest 2000. But it appears to be working normally.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Ive just run into a couple of issues with it. Firstly the Steam Cloud support didnt seem to work so its not keeping my place between Deck and PC. Secondly the C64 sound emulation is off so some of the zappy noises (especially the start sound in AMC) are wrong.

Otherwise its been great! The random Minter quotes are all excellent, I like comparing different versions of games and looking through his notes is really interesting, even if it may as well be a foreign language to me. I got a kick out of seeing some of the people in the videos too, some classic names.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

uiruki posted:

Ive just run into a couple of issues with it. Firstly the Steam Cloud support didnt seem to work so its not keeping my place between Deck and PC. Secondly the C64 sound emulation is off so some of the zappy noises (especially the start sound in AMC) are wrong.

Otherwise its been great! The random Minter quotes are all excellent, I like comparing different versions of games and looking through his notes is really interesting, even if it may as well be a foreign language to me. I got a kick out of seeing some of the people in the videos too, some classic names.

Laser Zone and Hellgate loving own. Even as a Minter fan I'd never heard of them before.

Colourspace is also very fun to screw around with.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
His description of the procedural drumbeats in Ancipital as the 'Phil Collins module' cracked me up.

I think it also shows how much better the smoother C64 versions of a lot of the games held up over time - something like ROX on Spectrum I found impossible due to the way everything would jerk around and slow down, but on the C64 version I could judge shots relatively easily. The extra room on C64 Gridrunner/Matrix made things a lot easier as well. One exception was Hellgate though, the 64 version of that's just too much for me now!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Was nice to finally play Mama Llama and discover that controversy over the bad review wasn't justified - it really is just a bit poo poo.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I think there's something there with the strategy stuff but Jeff today would make it so that you could, you know, steer your hamburger of death. It's the way it always flits over to the opposite side of the screen like it's the Defender ship when what you're trying to do is steer it into the enemies. He says in one of the videos that it'd probably have been a better design with mouse control and I'd be interested to try that.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I just wish that there was more of the 2000s stuff.. Where's Space Giraffe or TxK?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think Digital Eclipse said when people were asking about future Gold Master collections that they were only going to include stuff they could get a load of supplemental material like documents and prototypes for. Space Giraffe and TxK I'd expect are harder since the background stuff for those games would be internal communications with Microsoft and Sony respectively.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Animal posted:

Cocoon, Hyper-Light Drifter, Ori and the Will of the Wisps

seconding cocoon, i played that in 2 days and loved it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

njsykora posted:

I think Digital Eclipse said when people were asking about future Gold Master collections that they were only going to include stuff they could get a load of supplemental material like documents and prototypes for. Space Giraffe and TxK I'd expect are harder since the background stuff for those games would be internal communications with Microsoft and Sony respectively.

I hope they get Scorched Earth

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

a real GOAT

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The TxK/Tempest 4000/Atari stuff definitely feels like there's more to say, although I guess that might be in danger of flying too close to the legal sun.

Polybius is a story until itself too, and I'm always interested when games and music collide, so Trent Reznor and Jeff Minter chatting about using Polybius for the Less Than video is something I could get behind.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think skipping out Tempest 3000 is a missed opportunity. Honestly, how hard can a Nuon emulator be to code? Probably an afternoon's work at best.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Necrothatcher posted:

I think skipping out Tempest 3000 is a missed opportunity. Honestly, how hard can a Nuon emulator be to code? Probably an afternoon's work at best.

We only recently got a decent Jaguar emulator, I expect the amount of technical documentation available on the Nuon is near zero.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

njsykora posted:

We only recently got a decent Jaguar emulator, I expect the amount of technical documentation available on the Nuon is near zero.

I was being sarcastic. Anyway, there is a Nuon emulator called Nuance that's back in development (by one guy) https://github.com/andkrau/NuanceResurrection/releases/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Holy poo poo I haven't thought about this game in forever.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Googling suggests this thing existed right at the height of my interest in videogames, but I don't remember jack poo poo about the Nuon.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is literally the first time I'm ever hearing the word Nuon, I'll have to look it up.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Thanks for the trip reports regarding the Llamasoft / Jeff Minter docu-game. Was hoping to treat it like a digital Llamasoft coffee table book so I'm glad it works well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is literally the first time I'm ever hearing the word Nuon, I'll have to look it up.

The Nuon ignorance in this thread is shocking. C'mon, there are classics like Freefall 3050 AD, Merlin Racing and Iron Soldier 3! To say nothing of the Nuon-enhanced Tim Burton Planet of the Apes disc.