Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The337th posted:

just do a twitter that roleplays as Cody and/or Punk's dogs and talks endless poo poo about Tony Khan via the worst dog puns

"Wow that episode was RUFF" scheduled to post every Wednesday at 10:05 Eastern. That's all I've got but I think it's a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The337th posted:

just do a twitter that roleplays as Cody and/or Punk's dogs and talks endless poo poo about Tony Khan via the worst dog puns

The AEW Front PAWffice coming soon

It looks like those ratings are really going to the dogs! etc

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I’m a new breed of wrestling analyst, baby

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Listen guys the point is I’d be GOOD at it and engagement would be off the charts. Help me complain about wrestling as a caricature and I’ll buy you all jackets.

Would it be a cool jacket? I wasn’t on board until I heard about the promise of a jacket.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
Furry AEW critic

Trained an AI on AEW content to analyze why they're so bad. AI starts going off on Cornette style rants. The whole thing is a work, obviously, just reading scripted material.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol at the "Death Of AEW, written for 2027" motherfucker TNA has been around for 20 loving years. but yes the show with an owner who has even more money than mcmahon is going to somehow go under in 3 years

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
He also clearly hasn’t even read Death of WCW, as evidenced by some of his takes.

(Such as saying that Tony hiring the Bucks was literally the worst wrestling business decision of all time.)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

You have to understand, none of these people are doing analysis. They're not evaluating. They're manifesting. If enough people say aew is failing then aew will fail.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It does point out that all of the biggest anti AEW podcasters are all former TNA creatives. Like being told how to drive by people who had their licence revoked for drunk driving into a preschool.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

It does point out that all of the biggest anti AEW podcasters are all former TNA creatives. Like being told how to drive by people who had their licence revoked for drunk driving into a preschool.

They should be running a booking scared straight program.

"Oh you think putting the belt on Jeff Jarret is really cool, huh?"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What is the worst business decision in wrestling? Maybe ECW signing with TNN but only because in hindsight it was just used as a test before they dropped them for WWE.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

TNA keeping Vince Russo hired and trying to hide it when Spike said they didn't want Russo on the product which in the end cost them the TV slot

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Shard posted:

What is the worst business decision in wrestling? Maybe ECW signing with TNN but only because in hindsight it was just used as a test before they dropped them for WWE.

maybe not catastrophic to the business bc it was already going down, but Eric bischoff signing a deal with KISS to 1) have a wrestler based on gene simmons' look 2) have KISS do a live concert on tv in like 1999 and 3) ensure the KISS Demon main evented at least one ppv is one of the stupidest contracts that's ever been devised for wrestling imo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shard posted:

ECW completely failing to hit its ratings targets and TNN moving on isn't really on TNN.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

In terms of scale and consequences WCW being mismanaged to death has to be it depending on where you start the ball rolling on the first bad decision.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

In terms of scale and consequences WCW being mismanaged to death has to be it depending on where you start the ball rolling on the first bad decision.

right wcw strikes me as a death of a thousand cuts along with the company that was airing it deciding they didn't want wrestling on it anymore. I have to imagine that if WCW was making a profit it probably wouldn't be cut but even if it was it would at least then had been able to find a new home.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Giving Hogan creative control

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

apophenium posted:

given the way things turned out this might be the first domino yeah

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Road Wild is still one of the most baffling PPV ideas ever. Running a free show out in the middle of nowhere South Dakota just so Bischoff can go hang out at a biker rally for a week. They ran Sturgis multiple times for a total gate of $0.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

freaked out that there is an arlo for wrestling and he's worse than the real arlo

Wait, what's Raylan Givens' dad got to do with anything?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Benne posted:

Road Wild is still one of the most baffling PPV ideas ever. Running a free show out in the middle of nowhere South Dakota just so Bischoff can go hang out at a biker rally for a week. They ran Sturgis multiple times for a total gate of $0.

God I wish the podcast circuit was around during WCW's time. AEW is working at a profit and making big gates meanwhile WCW was doing shows like this and people like to pretend that Eric was some managing genius.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

apophenium posted:

That he never exercised! Just, you know, threatened to with "That doesn't work for me, brother."

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Would WWE not wanting to buy out the contracts of the big stars for the Invasion be considered a dumb one. Sure, it would have been expensive but surely a true WWF vs WCW storyline would have done ridiculous business?

Or had the Austin heel turn done too much damage?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

The inVasion ppv did one of their best numbers at the time, an actually well-booked feud with the real stars would have been more than worth it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hoss Corncave posted:

Would WWE not wanting to buy out the contracts of the big stars for the Invasion be considered a dumb one. Sure, it would have been expensive but surely a true WWF vs WCW storyline would have done ridiculous business?

The Invasion PPV did incredible business, if they had actual stars to back it up they could have kept up absolutely ridiculous momentum instead of things petering out by the time they did bring in the nWo.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

yea ok posted:

The inVasion ppv did one of their best numbers at the time, an actually well-booked feud with the real stars would have been more than worth it

I do recall it doing something like the highest non-WM buyrate despite having none of WCW's top guys (aside from Booker and DDP).

MassRafTer posted:

The Invasion PPV did incredible business, if they had actual stars to back it up they could have kept up absolutely ridiculous momentum instead of things petering out by the time they did bring in the nWo.

Wasn't the whole build to Survivor Series basically "We're tired of this Invasion crap, winner takes all"? It was like they were done with the story and couldn't be bothered to wrap it up properly, as was incredibly clear when the next night when Flair debuted and Austin immediately turned face again with no explanation.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hoss Corncave posted:

I thought the story went that the talent had the option of going or not and some of them like Sting decided gently caress it I’m not going over there and just stayed home and cashed cheques from their original contracts still being paid out.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Hoss Corncave posted:

Wasn't the whole build to Survivor Series basically "We're tired of this Invasion crap, winner takes all"? It was like they were done with the story and couldn't be bothered to wrap it up properly, as was incredibly clear when the next night when Flair debuted and Austin immediately turned face again with no explanation.

To be fair, everyone was tired of it because the only idea they had for the entire angle between 9/11 and Survivor Series was constantly bouncing titles around until they meant nothing. If they let WCW/ECW actually be cool and had some angles with intent they could have gone longer, or at least closed it with something besides "thank god that's over".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I thought the story went that the talent had the option of going or not and some of them like Sting decided gently caress it I’m not going over there and just stayed home and cashed cheques from their original contracts still being paid out.

That is why WWE had to buy out contracts. Basically every star was on a guaranteed contract and WWE was cheap and didn't want to buy them out. Originally it looked like they might not even come to terms with Booker T. They did, but they wouldn't give Goldberg, Sting, Nash, Flair or anyone else the kind of money they wanted to buy out their guaranteed sit at home money. So the Invasion was Booker T, DDP and a bunch of guys who were on contracts WWE absorbed, canceled at their 90 day cycle and renegotiated.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Benne posted:

Every time someone says "Tony's gotta be a boss, not a friend," I think of Bischoff running an entire show so he and his wrestler buddies could play biker.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Running shows in weird locations is cool. You don't get Spring Break Out or the Mall of America debut Nitro if you aren't also willing to try weird poo poo like Bash at the Beach being at an actual beach or Hog Wild.

Doing Sturgis multiple years wasn't so good but I get why you'd try it once when you are doing different concepts.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

cant even get 100 subs :sad:

I have more than twice as many subs as that, and I have a hobby channel of low-effort Let's Plays of Paradox games, with gaps of a year or more between some of them.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Yea the guaranteed contracts still had to be paid no matter what, but there was the option to negotiate something new and make someone an active wwe wrestler if both sides could agree on something. The original contracts were paid by Time Warner and anything new would be paid entirely by wwe. Some of the lower card guys went over because they needed the visibility for their careers, but any established star with a big contract would need a ton of money to get talked out of their current contract (especially since they would still be in demand when it ended so they could sit at home still get paid to come back after their wcw contract was up).

Obviously they'd make more money with sting/nash/etc. but it would cost them a lot more as well. And it wouldn't solve the fundamental issues with the invasion (booking around backstage politics/egos, trying to monetize a brand synonymous with failure, vince not wanting to make his own company look weak in any way).

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

shiksa posted:

maybe not catastrophic to the business bc it was already going down, but Eric bischoff signing a deal with KISS to 1) have a wrestler based on gene simmons' look 2) have KISS do a live concert on tv in like 1999 and 3) ensure the KISS Demon main evented at least one ppv is one of the stupidest contracts that's ever been devised for wrestling imo

I don't disagree that it was very stupid (And another obvious Bischoff "Wow! I get to hang out with [person only a middle-aged white man would think was cool]!" decision) but the contract clearly wasn't that good, since WCW got away with running the Demon match on the undercard of Superbrawl 2000 by simply billing it as a "Special Main Event"

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

I don't disagree that it was very stupid (And another obvious Bischoff "Wow! I get to hang out with [person only a middle-aged white man would think was cool]!" decision) but the contract clearly wasn't that good, since WCW got away with running the Demon match on the undercard of Superbrawl 2000 by simply billing it as a "Special Main Event"

"actually they spent millions of dollars on a midcard match" is not making it look like a better decision imo

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

how much of that money went to the kiss demon and how much went to kiss?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

little munchkin posted:

Yea the guaranteed contracts still had to be paid no matter what, but there was the option to negotiate something new and make someone an active wwe wrestler if both sides could agree on something. The original contracts were paid by Time Warner and anything new would be paid entirely by wwe. Some of the lower card guys went over because they needed the visibility for their careers, but any established star with a big contract would need a ton of money to get talked out of their current contract (especially since they would still be in demand when it ended so they could sit at home still get paid to come back after their wcw contract was up).

Obviously they'd make more money with sting/nash/etc. but it would cost them a lot more as well. And it wouldn't solve the fundamental issues with the invasion (booking around backstage politics/egos, trying to monetize a brand synonymous with failure, vince not wanting to make his own company look weak in any way).

IIRC it was only the name stars with actual leverage/representation who had their contracts through Time Warner and not WCW. WWF absorbed all of the WCW contracts and their 90-day cycles but anyone on Time Warner contract would have had to been negotiated separately and the vast majority were happy to stay home and cash the check. Only DDP was willing to take a buyout, which was why he came in earlier as the Undertaker stalker and we all know how that exploded on the launchpad.

I'm not sure of how long their deals were for but it wasn't until '02 that Hogan/Hall/Nash came in and then '03 for Goldberg.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Selachian posted:

Every time someone says "Tony's gotta be a boss, not a friend," I think of Bischoff running an entire show so he and his wrestler buddies could play biker.

Was it even his wrestling buddies he wanted to hang out with? I thought it was just friends who also rode bikes and lived out their Dennis Hopper fantasies.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

C. Everett Koop posted:

IIRC it was only the name stars with actual leverage/representation who had their contracts through Time Warner and not WCW. WWF absorbed all of the WCW contracts and their 90-day cycles but anyone on Time Warner contract would have had to been negotiated separately and the vast majority were happy to stay home and cash the check. Only DDP was willing to take a buyout, which was why he came in earlier as the Undertaker stalker and we all know how that exploded on the launchpad.

I'm not sure of how long their deals were for but it wasn't until '02 that Hogan/Hall/Nash came in and then '03 for Goldberg.

It was that they had guaranteed contracts vs lower card guys who had signed more recently and had 90 day termination cycles in their contracts. Hall had been fired in 2000, Hogan's contract had expired. Both of them were free agents. Nash still had time, as did Sting, Flair, Goldberg, Booker T and DDP. Probably a couple other guys who signed too but I forget. Seems like Buff Bagwell must've had a guaranteed contract but I'm not sure about that one because the ones that are written about most are the ones who did not sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Shard posted:

Far from the worst, but maybe the worst recently? NWA maybe becoming relevant and getting a TV deal, and then losing it because James Mitchell did coke during a bit on a lovely PPV.