Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

drat, they turned those messengers into chunky paste.

Yeah you kinda knew Chekhov's Cannons were going to gently caress somebody up before the episode was over but the sheer brutality of it was pleasantly shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Hirsute posted:

Yeah Blackthorne really gives some credence to the old "curse like a sailor" stereotype, he's pretty great at coming up with creative curses. Loved that scene where him and Rodrigues were poo poo-talking each other from their ships.

I’d love a podcast/video, where those two freestyle curses at each other until one man breaks. Best of 5.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Stegosnaurlax posted:

loving spoilers in the comments

Apologies, I didn't bother to check the comments. I never do for YouTube videos.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nybble posted:

Yabu might not understand what's just happened, but look at Omi behind his shoulder. He's almost bursting with glee.

Yeah that shot of Yabu going "What the gently caress, this sucks :mad:" and Omi going "What the gently caress, this rules :haw:" was fantastic.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Tadanobu Asano is killing it as Yabu. The other hilarious shot was at the beginning when he's told he's gotta train the rifle regiment before Tobanaga gets back and he's like "awwwww man, really? shucks".

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
How much time passes during episode 4? They said Blackthorne would be stuck at the village for six months. I didn't pay enough attention to notice if they showed seasons changing.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

BoldFace posted:

How much time passes during episode 4? They said Blackthorne would be stuck at the village for six months. I didn't pay enough attention to notice if they showed seasons changing.

I think it's just a few days, maybe a week or two at most?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah it's been a few days/weeks at most. Time starts to move a little faster at this point but the entire story takes place within 1600.

Because that's when the battle of Sekigahara happens

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

BoldFace posted:

You can start to see the changing of the season into winter with the light snow falling during a scene. And Mariko mentions winter is coming. That's presumably why they set up a specific time frame for training, because from what little I know about warfare, you don't really do it during the winter months. I'd guess about a month at most has passed.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

INTJ Mastermind posted:

TIL a “koku” is a year’s ration of rice for one man, or about 180 liters. Can’t wait for Blackthorn’s reaction when 240 of those (43,200 liters) gets delivered to his house next month.

its a good thing he has a sober and intelligent consort!

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

The scene with Kiku Lady Macbething Omi makes me wanna re-watch Throne of Blood. Same with the scenes of entire armies arriving in town.

Shogun gives the scenes a cool soundtrack and closeups of people reacting and talking; ToB doesn't, and it really enhances the drama of an occupying force bringing everyday life to a grinding halt.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

ShowTime posted:

Apologies, I didn't bother to check the comments. I never do for YouTube videos.

my fault entirely, i just scrolled down without thinking and some dick ferret blurted out something to ruin my day

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Based on next episode description they are in that town for a while

banging with decreasing amounts of discretion, which is typical human behavior

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

INTJ Mastermind posted:

TIL a “koku” is a year’s ration of rice for one man, or about 180 liters. Can’t wait for Blackthorn’s reaction when 240 of those (43,200 liters) gets delivered to his house next month.

This is the one thing I learned about listening to History of Japan podcasts, they measured wealth according to that, taxed according to that, etc. Which made for certain...interesting conundrums when your vassals or whatever decided to also go into some secondary income sources that weren't rice-based at some point in history.

I'm probably going to be made fun of, and it can't really be since the show clearly has a strong Japanese cast and advisors but it almost looked liked the ladies were almost curtsying or bowing less low than the men in the first scene to honour Toranaga, which doesn't seem accurate. Admittedly the camera cuts fast and what-not but it bothered me. Curtsying was definitely not a thing (and is generally not) in Japan.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Dessel posted:

This is the one thing I learned about listening to History of Japan podcasts, they measured wealth according to that, taxed according to that, etc. Which made for certain...interesting conundrums when your vassals or whatever decided to also go into some secondary income sources that weren't rice-based at some point in history.

I'm probably going to be made fun of, and it can't really be since the show clearly has a strong Japanese cast and advisors but it almost looked liked the ladies were almost curtsying or bowing less low than the men in the first scene to honour Toranaga, which doesn't seem accurate. Admittedly the camera cuts fast and what-not but it bothered me. Curtsying was definitely not a thing (and is generally not) in Japan.

I think their komonos were far more restrictive of their movement, so they couldn't bow as deeply as the men. I suspect that's why they add the little curtsy knee-tuck as well, but I'm just speculating here.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

there are what seem like little inaccuracies here and there, i think of it as just a retelling from someone's iffy memory (thats why the names are all wrong (this drives me nuts))

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

there are what seem like little inaccuracies here and there, i think of it as just a retelling from someone's iffy memory (thats why the names are all wrong (this drives me nuts))

This admittedly had me in cold sweat when Mariko was talking about her past history and maybe a name drop is about to happen and I was like maybe it's a name I might have managed to remember from actual history this is going to be a cool moment except it's a fake name she's gonna drop and I need to google....

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I didn't tell you my family name. It's Mariko Hitler.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Mariko Suave

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I love americans

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's fair to want to see yasuke and miss him in this if he's one of your sengoku faves. Granted he had disappeared from the historical record for years at this point in the real events, but hell the real person mariko is based on never left her castle between age 21 and her death

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 13, 2024

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Dessel posted:

This admittedly had me in cold sweat when Mariko was talking about her past history and maybe a name drop is about to happen and I was like maybe it's a name I might have managed to remember from actual history this is going to be a cool moment except it's a fake name she's gonna drop and I need to google....

If you know Japanese history you will recognize the name. I believe it's one of the few that is not changed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Wasn't the koku also a unit of gold that was supposed to be the same value?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It's Mariko Miyamoto.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I think you're thinking of a koban.

quote:

Traditionally one koku of rice equaled one ryo of money, which was represented by a gold coin called a koban. A koban had a fixed weight of 18.2 grams, or 0.64 ounces of gold. At present exchange rates of about US$1,200 per ounce of gold, one ryo, or one koku, is therefore worth about US$800 in today's money. Ergo the lowest- ranked daimyo with a fief worth 10,000 koku had an income of about US$8 million per year.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think you're thinking of a koban.

"the koban, which was equal to three koku of rice," reduce that USD value by two thirds

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Arglebargle III posted:

Samurai without their own feifs were paid in Kokus, to literally replace what would have been grown on their farmland if they had a feif. It’s about 330 lbs of white rice per Koku. So about 40 Tons of rice is going to be dumped in his front yard on payday. Can’t wait to see the look on his face.

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS ALL THIS??

Your salary Anjin-sama.

THIS HAS TO BE A BLOODY JOKE? HOW CAN A MAN EAT ALL THIS? YOU WANT ME TO CATCH THE BLOODY BEETUS?

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 14, 2024

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

BrotherJayne posted:

"the koban, which was equal to three koku of rice," reduce that USD value by two thirds

This was where I quoted from, as it goes on to say it sounds like the actual exchange rate fluctuated a lot over the period and there is no one hard number

https://www.diffworlds.com/samurai/monetary_system.htm

Burns
May 10, 2008

About the cannon. Back in uni we had a class project about the Spanish Armada. I recall that the Spanish used larger or heavier cannon and thus a heavier shot on their warships. English cannon tended to use a smaller shot, but the cannon themsevles were longer barrels. English cannon tended to have more range and accuracy but generally had difficutly actually penetrating a Spanish ship at range. English cannon was good for destroying sails and rigging though.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Dr.Radical posted:

Best episode so far, I think. Toranaga’s son’s actions were genuinely surprising and the use of gore really elevated the surprise.

I watched the old TV show a long time ago but I don’t remember a lot of it. Plus they’re changing stuff as well

Yes but also no. From the previous episode I think Toranaga pushed his son with the speech about how you see everything as friends and enemies, when its really just you. The speech also extends both ways - Toranaga can sacrifice his son to the regents as a peace gesture if need be.

I haven't thought about a show like this in a long time. Its so loving good

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Megazver posted:

I love americans

"We'll delay the war long enough to allow everyone in Japan to touch the black man's hair and awkwardly gawk at him."

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
read some bookclub notes up until the end of ep 4, but why did mariko send some other woman to blackthorne's? and not her or even fuji

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

von Braun posted:

read some bookclub notes up until the end of ep 4, but why did mariko send some other woman to blackthorne's? and not her or even fuji

she hosed him and is pretending otherwise to protect her reputation, basically but I don't know if that's supposed to be obvious in the show

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

hailthefish posted:

she hosed him and is pretending otherwise to protect her reputation, basically but I don't know if that's supposed to be obvious in the show

I think the look of confusion on Fuji's face and the smiles they exchanged were to indicate that what happened had to be referenced on the down low. It also seemed telling that she didn't translate the exchange.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Yeah, they hooked up on the DL

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Megazver posted:

I love americans

I 2x-speed watched one video of some right-wing chud argle-bargling about this article and now YouTube is recommending me every right-wing chud argle-bargle about it. It's really helpful in compiling a list of blocked channels.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Delete it from your youtube history.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Burns posted:

About the cannon. Back in uni we had a class project about the Spanish Armada. I recall that the Spanish used larger or heavier cannon and thus a heavier shot on their warships. English cannon tended to use a smaller shot, but the cannon themsevles were longer barrels. English cannon tended to have more range and accuracy but generally had difficutly actually penetrating a Spanish ship at range. English cannon was good for destroying sails and rigging though.

I can't find much info on mining deposits arround 1600, But they opened a copper mine after 1610 and the Shogun being given a gift of some they had extracted. So i doubt they had the capability to make more bronze cannons at the time

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I'm sure the show will get to it in either ep. 5 or 6, but I like to equate her name as Mariko Brutus, maybe a decade or two after the death of Julius Caesar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Samurai without their own feifs were paid in Kokus, to literally replace what would have been grown on their farmland if they had a feif. It’s about 330 lbs of white rice per Koku. So about 40 Tons of rice is going to be dumped in his front yard on payday. Can’t wait to see the look on his face.

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS ALL THIS??

Your salary Anjin-sama.

THIS HAS TO BE A BLOODY JOKE? HOW CAN A MAN EAT ALL THIS? YOU WANT ME TO CATCH THE BLOODY BEETUS?

You must forgive Anjin-sama, he will eat the rice.

I WILL NOT EAT THE BLOODY RICE!

Eat the rice, Blackthorne.

*Eats the rice while glaring*