Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

It's the law!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MrMojok posted:

You guys will not believe this… but I have never seen Return of the Living Dead.

I thought I had, but it turns out I was confusing it with a film from the exact same time (Night of the Comet) !!!

I only watched it a couple years back, after hearing for ages about how great it is, how great the effects are, how nude Linnea Quigley is, etc.

And it did not disappoint.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Personwhohasn'tseenreturnofthelivingdeadfinder General

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

using a Fever Ray track on that Omen trailer really got me tbh. The imagery and Fever Ray are a powerful duo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Return of the Living Dead hits you with that disclaimer at the very beginning of the film and just goes full tilt boogie until the end of the credits.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

For whatever reason my friend group watched Day a bunch and I'd seen it several times before I saw Dawn. Hell, I think I saw it before Night, even

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
dawn of the dead is still out of print because of the dumbest man alive smh

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I just ordered a box set of it on Amazon for that’s in 4K, is that like a limited run or something?

Return of the Living Dead is actually how I got so deep into all things horror. I was being babysat as a kid by my great grandmother and browsing the VHS tapes she had. She had a copy of Return of the Living Dead 2 and the cover art freaked me out bad. But I started to want to always look at it afterward and eventually snuck the tape home to watch it. Probably warped my small brain but whatever now I want horror mainlined into my mindscape

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Mike Flanagan isnt responsible for dawn being out of print

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I just ordered a box set of it on Amazon for that’s in 4K, is that like a limited run or something?

Return of the Living Dead is actually how I got so deep into all things horror. I was being babysat as a kid by my great grandmother and browsing the VHS tapes she had. She had a copy of Return of the Living Dead 2 and the cover art freaked me out bad. But I started to want to always look at it afterward and eventually snuck the tape home to watch it. Probably warped my small brain but whatever now I want horror mainlined into my mindscape

Your mother’s mother’s mother or your mother’s mother who is high quality?

I mean, either way she rules.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

dorium posted:

using a Fever Ray track on that Omen trailer really got me tbh. The imagery and Fever Ray are a powerful duo.

Read this as Sugar Ray and now I'm bummed it's not

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

Your mother’s mother’s mother or your mother’s mother who is high quality?

I mean, either way she rules.

Mothers mothers mother

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

I definitely went through that process myself, Night of the Living Dead was always the old black and white classic that played all the time on tv, and Dawn of the Dead was the one that everyone was talking about and recommending. I didn't get around to even seeing Day of the Dead for the first time until college, so it took some years and some rewatches for my opinion of it to really form.

Day was one it took time and life experience for me to appreciate it. Younger me didn't think it was bad, but more leaning to boooooring with good zombie effects.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I was not a big horror fan as a kid, I got scared in the VHS aisle and my imagination led me to believe every horror movie was way more terrifying than it actually was.

But when I was like 10 years old my Dad let me stay up until 1 am to watch Night of the Living Dead. I just sat on the couch, not talking or moving, shocked and in awe of the movie. After the car blows up and you see the zombies chowing down, my Dad goes "Pretty loving crazy, right?". I was hooked on horror after that, even though I still freaked myself out a lot watching it.

I couldn't find Dawn on TV so I didn't see that for years, but I saw the TV edit of Day a few times. It freaked me out in a different way I couldn't articulate at the time, just the despair of the whole thing. I finally saw Dawn as a teenager and loved it, it was especially cool knowing it was filmed in MY LOCAL MALL and my parents remembered basically every single store.

I've seen all 3 multiple times, but when I watched Day last year it really clicked, possibly since that was the first time I'd watched it since 2020. Being stuck in a relatively small area, hoping for a medical miracle to magically fix stuff, unsure how bad the rest of the world is, and having to deal with a group of armed lunatics who seem ready to pop off at any moment? Yeah, it was definitely hitting a lot differently for me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Probably a bootleg, there's a ton of them out there. I know I almost bought a set that popped up but reading through the comments it was a Korean release with hard coded Korean subtitles.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Medullah posted:

Probably a bootleg, there's a ton of them out there. I know I almost bought a set that popped up but reading through the comments it was a Korean release with hard coded Korean subtitles.

I've been eyeballing this one, but now I'm not so sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Limited-Delu...tv%2C121&sr=1-1

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

That one's from Second Sight, a really good UK label; it's legit but (as the description mentions) the regular Blu-Ray special features disc is region B/needs a region-free player if you wanna check that particular disc of the set out. I'd recommend getting the player anyway at some point if you don't already have one, their sets are really well-done, they take time on restorations, and they go out of their way to have cool art and special features

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

Yeah, that’s the one I ordered. I know the bonus disc I can’t watch but my main want is the 4K UHDs and those are region free

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm assuming that Dawn of the Dead getting a high profile restoration and theatrical rerelease means it might finally escape from home video hell but i could be wrong

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It depends on how the rights are being held up. If I'm not mistaken Dogma will be untouchable until both of the Weinsteins die.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Movie right fights are loving dumb as poo poo

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

One example of that I've always hated is Phantasm 2 not being available with the rest.

I dunno if that's gotten better in recent years but it was a pain in the rear end to get them all in one spot for a while.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TheKingslayer posted:

One example of that I've always hated is Phantasm 2 not being available with the rest.

I dunno if that's gotten better in recent years but it was a pain in the rear end to get them all in one spot for a while.

After trying to track them all down last October for the challenge thread, yeah, Phantasm 2 is still a complete loving pain to get compared to the rest.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

M_Sinistrari posted:

Chris James 2 posted:

That one's from Second Sight, a really good UK label; it's legit but (as the description mentions) the regular Blu-Ray special features disc is region B/needs a region-free player if you wanna check that particular disc of the set out. I'd recommend getting the player anyway at some point if you don't already have one, their sets are really well-done, they take time on restorations, and they go out of their way to have cool art and special features

That's actually the one I was looking at too where I read through the reviews and saw it had hard coded Korean subtitles. Good to know it is actually a good release.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

After trying to track them all down last October for the challenge thread, yeah, Phantasm 2 is still a complete loving pain to get compared to the rest.

The Phantasm 2 scenario is so bizarre, too. Like, Universal owns the rights to Phantasm 2, and last Halloween season they had every Phantasm movie BUT 2 on Peacock at once. They own the one film missing there - why not put it on your self-owned service and make a point that you can run the whole series on Peacock (temporarily)? I don't remember it being anywhere else, either, so it wasn't like a dumb licensing oversight either.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So the Crow reboot has a trailer now, and I'm still on board because it looks just silly and edgy enough to appeal to 14 year old boys, as The Crow should.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1768276108577783901

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Any indie film series that was forced to shop around for a distributor at one point gets hosed in the exact same way. For a long time the original Halloween II was never included in sets because that one was released by Universal.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

I thought the trailer was extremely good, so I'm already more hype for it than I expected to be

Speaking of things I'm hype for,

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1767947345725964670?s=20

hell yeah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djSKp_pwmOA

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yup that's a remake of the crow

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

So the Crow reboot has a trailer now, and I'm still on board because it looks just silly and edgy enough to appeal to 14 year old boys, as The Crow should.

That looks like hot steaming garbage from top to bottom.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'll give it a shot. I liked the trailer.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm assuming that Dawn of the Dead getting a high profile restoration and theatrical rerelease means it might finally escape from home video hell but i could be wrong

Nah it’s still up to Rubinstein in America. In Europe the distribution rights are under Argento’s name.

Tho I did get to see Dawn here in America back in 2018. Regular 35MM screening at an Alamo Drafthouse. Not sure how they got permission to but that was pretty sweet.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
The Crow reboot looks rad, and I say that with The Crow '94 being my all time favorite movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I'll give it a shot. I liked the trailer.

I liked the trailer too, I think the movie does actually look good.

I'll still gripe about Skarsgard's hair though because I think it looks bad.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Any indie film series that was forced to shop around for a distributor at one point gets hosed in the exact same way. For a long time the original Halloween II was never included in sets because that one was released by Universal.

2 AND 3. That's why you could get that one oddball DVD pair from Universal that came with both of those films, and made no other references to the original or the rest of the franchise.

Also why any Chucky product made at this point always seems to start from 2 onwards, since that's when Universal got the rights to the franchise.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
For some reason I thought Universal bailed after part 2 when they realized they were going forward with a non-Myers sequel for part III.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m into the crow. It looks a lot cooler than I expected. And I like Skarsgard so why not let’s go. If it stinks it goes on the pile of crow poop left behind by the original so nbd

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

For some reason I thought Universal bailed after part 2 when they realized they were going forward with a non-Myers sequel for part III.

My mostly uneducated guess is that Universal moved away from Carpenter after the failure of The Thing in 1982. They didn't work with Carpenter gain until like 5 or 6 years later.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It’s still weird to read “The failure of the The thing in 1982”. Like I know at release it was panned and considered bad but I still can’t wrap my head around how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This looks like it'll appeal to the edgy 14 year old of 2024 in the same way that the original appealed to edgy 14 year olds of 1994.

it also appeals to me.

can you imagine the puckered assholes on set the first time someone held a gun to the main star of the film too?