Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JBP posted:

Whenever I need a prayer Barret is there to give my stupid rear end a prayer.

I feel like Prayer is kind of unnecessary in non-Hard mode where you can use items in combat, since I can always just use Mist Mega-potions (especially when accounting for the Item Economizer materia that lets you use 1/2 your items without an ATB charge).

I could see it being very important in Hard mode, though.

ImpAtom posted:

The summon you summon is determined by who you use to activate the summon, it's not random. Some require 2 ATB.

Yeah, I'm a little confused by that post - it's just whatever summon you have equipped to the character you're using it on (and I don't think any cost 2ATB until Alexander). Did it used to work the way they describe in Remake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm still at the point where all summons are just an "I win" button, which is good in a pinch.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've got a Prayer materia on Barret just because he needs something to spend his ATB on, and it's good to be leveling at least a couple of those for Hard mode.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

The summon you summon is determined by who you use to activate the summon, it's not random. Some require 2 ATB.

On multiple occasions now, the summon bar filled up and only one character could actually use their summon, even when the other two had full ATB. When it first happened I thought I must have seen it wrong, so I played around a bit until I could summon again and got the same thing.

E: it could be a size thing actually, I was in Gongaga and Alexander might have had some difficulty fitting into that canyon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I've mostly had Prayer equipped specifically so that I'll have a couple of them leveled for Hard mode :v: I learned my lesson in Remake

It's nice in the combat simulator for the same reason it's nice in Hard mode, too.

Thundarr posted:

On multiple occasions now, the summon bar filled up and only one character could actually use their summon, even when the other two had full ATB. When it first happened I thought I must have seen it wrong, so I played around a bit until I could summon again and got the same thing.

It's possible two of your characters had summons who were too big for the current area and one didn't, so that was the only one you were allowed to summon in the moment. Summons like ChocoMog and Moogle Trio are small enough to be summonable almost anywhere, while things like Leviathan or Alexander are more limited.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure if you noticed but once a summon is out you gain access to Summon Abilities you can spend ATB on which usually hit like a brick. Cait Sith's ability just allows you to do a semi-random one of those without the summon being out. If nothing else Phoenix can be helpful because it gives you raise/arise pretty early.

Yeah it just still doesn't really feel good to me, I'm spending an arbitrary character's ATB on something that has nothing to do with their abilities or how I've built them. And legit I don't think any fight in the game would have changed substantively for me if I had RNG equipped a random summon to every character before each fight. The schedule they come out on just hasn't lent itself to that kind of tactical usage (mebbe on hard mode, we'll see).

It's a minor gripe in the scheme of things but it's the one area of combat that I've felt a bit meh about.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wish you could force your summon to use their final attack early. There have been a few times where the timer goes just right when an enemy becomes untargetable or puts up a shield that you have to destroy before they can take damage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah that's awkward and they usually don't seem to get their final attacks off for me. In general I also find myself rarely using Summon ATB abilities. I'll basically just summon them for their final nuke and whatever they passively do (since I think they still do some sort of damage while just hanging around?). I basically just use them as a sort of insurance to hopefully provide a big enough nuke near the end in case things go south.

WaltherFeng posted:

Note all the synergy skills are not equal. Some are clearly much better than others so experiment.

Which of the Tifa launches is better? If my party is Cloud/Tifa/Aerith, Tifa has access to two different launch synergy skills. edit: I want to say that Aerith's is better if you're directly under someone, since it also acts as an attack that knocks enemies into the air. Cloud's seems to send her up at a more diagonal angle that might be better for enemies already in the air?

I think one synergy skill I'm still kind of uncertain about is Cait Sith's All-out Attack (or whatever it's called). It's hard for me to gauge if it's doing a good job of building ATB or doing damage.

Thundarr posted:

E: it could be a size thing actually, I was in Gongaga and Alexander might have had some difficulty fitting into that canyon.

Alexander costs 2ATB (and I think is the only one that costs 2ATB up until at least Cosmo Canyon's, which I haven't gotten yet but suspect might also be 2ATB). The character with Alexander probably didn't have 2ATB, while the others had the 1ATB necessary to use their summons.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 13, 2024

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Reraise doesn't work after phoenix expires right? At least it hasn't for me. The summons leave so quickly that it seems like that's a tight needle to thread, having someone die after you summon Phoenix, get two atb, then cast it, but before it leaves.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

No she had 2 ATB for sure, I just hadn't even considered whether summons can physically fit into an area so that's probably what it was.

Titan needs 2 ATB also, I forget if Phoenix does.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SettingSun posted:

There are a lot of cool strats you can pull off in QB (and have them done to you by the AI) but is there a more effective strategy than overrunning the board and keeping your opponent from playing? Has done me well so far. I still use the prebuilt deck that incudes Midgarsormr I made 30 hours ago.

I feel like there's probably some really powerful stuff you could do with decks focused on destroying/replacing friendly cards, but I've settled on a deck focused on buffing my own cars that seems to almost always win for me. I also mix a few of the replacement cards in there, just because those can be really nice to have and save you from situations where you'd otherwise be forced to end the game early. It's been a while since I've lost and I'm up to "tier 7" (or whatever the levels are). I could definitely see myself hitting a limit if I played against someone with a good replacement-focused deck, since those can mess me up.

Chocobo Jockey is very silly and gives lots of points.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Rhonne posted:

I wish you could force your summon to use their final attack early. There have been a few times where the timer goes just right when an enemy becomes untargetable or puts up a shield that you have to destroy before they can take damage.

Well, there is one way. The summons use their final attack immediately if the summoner dies, so just have them use self-destruct. Simple!

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Bland posted:

Well, there is one way. The summons use their final attack immediately if the summoner dies, so just have them use self-destruct. Simple!

That is actually fun tech, it would be rad if that actually came in useful for speedruns or something, tho I imagine they will have quicker ways of making GBS threads out damage

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Just finished. What a good game. I can't wait for whatever DLC they drop in a year. Now for hard mode and cleaning up the couple of hard versions of minigames I didn't bother to do yet

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Count me on team gently caress Shrinra mansion. They had all the in game assets from the Gold Saucer inn to make a fun dungeon and instead we got a mako reactor vertical slice that looks like it was left out of Dirge of Cerburus.

The rest of the game is fantastic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean the entire point of the Shinra Mansion is that it's a literal Resident Evil mansion, a spooky top over a secret lab below.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Pro Tip: After installing the latest PS5 Firmware, go into either the PS5 sound settings or the game's options and turn the controller speaker volume down a notch or ten. Do this before attempting any World Intel content. Trust me on this one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well yeah, and the spooky house is always the best part of any Resident Evil

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Fedule posted:

Pro Tip: After installing the latest PS5 Firmware, go into either the PS5 sound settings or the game's options and turn the controller speaker volume down a notch or ten. Do this before attempting any World Intel content. Trust me on this one.

This was a very rude surprise when I did my first enemy intel.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Actually now that I look there doesn't seem to be an option for controller speaker volume in the game settings although I am prepared to swear that there was a slider when I started a new game. Maybe I just have mako poisoning.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How am I supposed to do the solo Aerith against two bombs fight without either a) perfect blocking everything or b) seriously over leveling to an insane degree? Tried sleep and stopping one or both nothing lasts long enough to help.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

How am I supposed to do the solo Aerith against two bombs fight without either a) perfect blocking everything or b) seriously over leveling to an insane degree? Tried sleep and stopping one or both nothing lasts long enough to help.

Aerith's radiant ward gives her immunity to attacks while casting so it gives you a lot more room to cast spells. You can put a ward elsewhere on the map and teleport to it if you need to make space.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Link Fire + Elemental materia on her armor and the bombs are significantly less of a threat, especially if you have the Elemental materia levelled.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Rosalind posted:

Can Cait Sith and Aerith enjoyers post the equipment and materia they're using to have them be such good damage dealers please? Because I'm following the instructions people are posting for abilities to use and combat advice but they're still doing like next to no damage compared to Yuffie who rips through everything.

Edit: also how the heck you keep them alive when they're both made of glass compared to Barret's crazy defense or Yuffie the dodge queen?

In addition to this excellent post about tech during combat, let me tell you about how to kit him out.
  • Prioritize attack, strength, luck, and vitality, roughly in that order, when it comes to choosing your weapon and bangle. I don't favor magic or magic attack on Cait, but depending on your materia setup you might. Note that Cait's luck is largely contingent on him being on the Moogle.
  • Karmic Cowl (accessory built with Tonberry King mat) offers a solid flat boost to Vit+Spirit, which will bring Cait's defenses more in line with other party members. I like it, makes him a bit beefier. But you can never have enough ATB, so consider Speed Demon Keychain or a scarf.
  • I am in chapter 11 and assume there will be some endgame limit-related accessories which might offer substantial benefits over Karmic Cowl.
As for materia, I have kind of a magicless setup for him (Elemental weapon is way better on Tifa who has weapon skills for it).
  • Luck Up, HP Up to taste. Strength Up is better on Tifa. Not sure how luck up works with the +100 luck boosts while jockeying, but hey, Cait's the next best recipient of it after Yuffie, who has high natural luck.
  • Your First Strike materia should be on him and Aerith, as they rely most heavily on getting past an initial ramp in each combat.
  • I like opening with ATB Boost. Pop a level boost on it because I never use this otherwise.
  • Cait is my designated enemy skill dude and I think he makes the most sense for it. Fun fact: Enemy Skill accepts HP Absorption, and Cait is a squishy frontliner. Also, Rancid Breath benefits from luck, and Moogle Kaboom into Self Destruct is a laugh-and-a-half.
  • Because of my one-two opening punch (First Strike + ATB Boost into Let's Ride and Plasma Discharge to get him ramped up ASAP), Cait is a natural contender for a high-level ATB Assist materia. Your general strategy should be to roll around on your moogle until you hit two ATB charges, then spend them both back-to-back, granting everyone else an ATB charge.
  • I haven't decided whether Tifa or Cait is a better target for your Auto-Unique Ability materia. I lean towards Cait—remember, Dropkick is only the first level. The second level has party-wide buffs you should be casting, and the third level is enemy debuffs. But if you get to third level, you're either not doing as well as you should be, or you're up against a fiend who is liable to be immune. So stick it on him and enjoy a periodic party-wide atk/def boost when he's uncontrolled.
  • Limit Siphon is best on Cait, hands-down. His limit breakss are target #1 for a nerf bat.
  • At one point I had Poison+Auto-Cast on him. Good way to automatically delegate some extra damage although it wasn't in his core kit and he doesn't have anything that boosts it.
  • For summon, pick whatever really, but make sure it's a high-level one that boosts appropriate stats per above. Moogle Magic usually requires planning due to its long windup.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 13, 2024

they want shady
May 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Aerith's radiant ward gives her immunity to attacks while casting so it gives you a lot more room to cast spells. You can put a ward elsewhere on the map and teleport to it if you need to make space.

Did this last night and pretty much this. Radiant on one side of the arena, arcane on the other. Also don't be like me and use Blizzard/ra out of gamer brian that tells you to use Ice spells on a fire foe even though you know that's not its weakness since Blizzards tracking is poo poo.

Also felt like an idiot since I forgot during the fight but maybe pop lustruos ward or whatever the shield is on radiant since it eats projectiles and probably makes managing the bombs as you're building ATB way easier.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
anywho if someone wants to pay back my guide post, I could use a primer on red XIII setup

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress that moogle game! By the time I get to Cosmo canyon and it's at level six mischief, the course is so lovely and the little fucks are throwing spells at me left and right. I'm not going to do the rest, but I just came here to say that in a game of fun mini games, moogle round up (or whatever) is actively unfun.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I managed to do them all in 2 tries at most but they're extremely annoying, I agree. There didn't need to be 7 of them

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
those fuckers cheat, they shouldnt be able to keep throwing poo poo if theyre inside the pen

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Boy that cutscene after the last moogles challenge though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

f#a# posted:

anywho if someone wants to pay back my guide post, I could use a primer on red XIII setup

Red XIII excels in a few different ways but most of them involve his defensive options.

Precision Defense + Steadfast Block are a must, as is giving him at least one HP + Materia. Red *wants* to get hit as long as he's blocking. Sentinel Stance is basically on-demand invincibility and should be used to soak attacks. Once you get Chilling Roar it should always be up. He's also a fantastic choice for the Darkside Materia.

From there it depends on what you want him to do. The Vengeance Gauge is a resource that can and should be spent freely because it charges very fast, especially with Chilling Roar. From there it depends on how you want to build him. He actually is a phenomenally good support character. Supernal Favor is party-wide haste, Watcher's Respite is a strong no-MP heal and Watcher's Spirit lets them feed ATB to any ATB-hungry characters easily. Combine that with his natural durability and he makes a tremendously good tank/buffbot/healer. Since Stardust Ray doesn't require Vengeance it also can be used freely for huge damage.

In terms of damage, if you want him to be DPS your goal is pretty similar. You want to be soaking hits and then going into Vengeance Mode and taking full advantage of it. Reaper's Touch if you're low on HP, Sidewinder if you're high, Crescent Claw to finish if an enemy is staggered.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The prison tourney of cloud against the two purple dogs is making me want to delete this game

they want shady
May 11, 2013

redreader posted:

gently caress that moogle game! By the time I get to Cosmo canyon and it's at level six mischief, the course is so lovely and the little fucks are throwing spells at me left and right. I'm not going to do the rest, but I just came here to say that in a game of fun mini games, moogle round up (or whatever) is actively unfun.

I also didn't like the moogle game much but it's worth it for the skill point tomes. Last ones are bullshit. Some advice I'd give:

Worst one is the green fucker who sends out wind discs or whatever, but you still might want to get him into the pen early or chase him away from it to a place where he isn't as annoying and leave him for later since they tend to put him in places where he's really aggravating by default (at least in the last few mischief levels). Also him and the orange one will pop their projectiles pretty much as soon as they stop moving if you're chasing them around, so don't overcommit when getting in there.

Patience is the name of the game in general, I waited for the black one's bombs to go off before going in quicly and getting him to move. Usually left orange for last since you want less projectiles coming from the pen and he tends to be far away enough at first to not be as annoying as green. Blue's pretty much the only one you can chase aggresively since his attack's the most telegraphed and least dangerous of the bunch. Banana mog's just a less dangerous black mog, just go slowly and he's way easier to move.

All of this is way harder if you get tilted of course, but being patient and picking your order from what you find most to least annoying is about the best way to approach it. Also, turning it down to Easy will get you more hits you can take, learned this in the last one since the game offered to turn down the difficulty lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just counter stance and blocked for that one. Wait til the next one lol (I have not tried any suggestions yet).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Wamsutta posted:

The prison tourney of cloud against the two purple dogs is making me want to delete this game

Put one of them to sleep and then use haste, firaga against the non sleeping one. Grab the bubbles they spawn cause they give you buffs if you intercept them and stop them getting the buffs. I found it too annoying so came back later after I beat the game though admittedly.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Speculation on part 3 based on having finished part 2.
Ok so for Part 3 we need to go to wutai, back to midgar, icicle village, glacier, snow area before glacier, northern crater, northern crater dungeon?, mideal, handle all the big boy weapons. sapphire/ruby/emerald/diamond/ultimate/ maybe others based on part 2 gems like moonstone and amethyst. Rocket town/space. Revisit basically every area in the game. All the submarine content. Flying with highwind, gold chocobo/breeding maybe/doubt it though. All the reveals with cloud/zack. Plus whatever multiverse stuff they include. It seems like a tall order for one game, but I guess most of the assets are already built for a large chunk of the game so maybe doable? I'm hoping we get a dlc where we can play as Cid and Vincient that covers some of this in it. Its gonna suck waiting like 4 years for this.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 13, 2024

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao the PS5 update made Chadley louder.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chadley needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

thebardyspoon posted:

Put one of them to sleep and then use haste, firaga against the non sleeping one. Grab the bubbles they spawn cause they give you buffs if you intercept them and stop them getting the buffs. I found it too annoying so came back later after I beat the game though admittedly.

I read the Sleep tip and have tried it repeatedly and it never seems to work. I’m level 31 playing on dynamic and it’s a level 34 challenge so maybe I’ll come back later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Like most solo Cloud fights it ultimately turns into a "use punisher mode counter" test. From what I recall if you counter the attack they do after playing dead they get pressured and putting one into an early stagger is the key to winning the fight. Predictably it gets much more manageable once its one on one.