Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I feel like I totally misread the whole point of Sense's test.

They went out of their way to state how rare an uncompleted dungeon is and how basically, I guess, Frieren's group and others had methodically completed most of them (if I understand that right) wasn't that the whole point of the cute story about how Himmel dragging Frieren through all the dungeons?

The first class mages have to administer this test regularly. So it seemed like it would naturally follow that Sense would allow/expect the copies to be killed, but find some way to keep the Spiegel itself alive so that the area could be used for first class training over time (or even just to keep something mystical and unconquered in an age where most of these dungeons have been).

But she just allowed the Spiegel to be killed and I guess one of the possibly only unconquered dungeons was conquered, is that right?

It really would have tied into the overall Frieren theme of "journey not destination" if the first class mages were intentionally keeping extremely difficult dungeons uncleared so that they could be used for encounters to train, test and refine mages. Idk if I'm being fair but it kinda feels like conquering the dungeon is a little on the nose versus the near-constant and intentional bucking of RPG tropes that Frieren as a property delights in, particularly the constant thematic reframing of valuable items as something that are far less worthwhile than what comes before the items.

The Spiegel being a somewhat artificial "curated" test in itself was also bolstered by its behavior being incredibly lax (simply slow-walking the copies towards the bottom? Talk about easy mode) The whole thing kinda felt like the Spiegel was playing nice or something, so I was really, really sure that it would all be an arrangement by Sense and just, ultimately, a repeatable way to test new mages for first class.

I'm probably thinking about this way too much lol. Regardless, utterly fantastic show. I adore this series. Is it the BEST anime of all time as per MAL? I don't know, maybe. Recency bias is a bitch. Honestly the fact that I even care enough to dissect motivations and plot contrivances like this is probably good evidence that it's extremely special.

Is Frieren the best anime ever? Curious how people feel.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Seemed to me like the tests are different each time and this dungeon wasn't used as a test before.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah, there's no evidence that this dungeon was used as a test ever before. That one mage-lady (sorry, don't remember most of the names) even said her brother was part of the investigation into the place, whereupon most everyone died to the Spiegel. That doesn't jive with the idea that this is a tame dungeon they use all the time.

It seems like the Spiegel probably senses the strongest person to use as the defender of its body, and then the remainder as a way to corral and kill the invaders.

The tests seem like they are basically up to the proctors in terms of how they are designed. We saw that the 2nd class test was to move the guy with the strongest defensive spells, but that's because he himself came up with the test. A proctor with a strong offensive nature might require students to defend against their attacks instead.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 12, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

the girl proudly explaining the golem to the dude and him going "who are you" is a pretty good bit

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
"There is this extremely dangerous Dungeon here that is a huge health and safety risk to everyone in the area and every few years we gather a dozen or two of the continents top superhuman geniuses in one place to violently test them so we may as well do something useful while we're at it"

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

GateOfD posted:

the girl proudly explaining the golem to the dude and him going "who are you" is a pretty good bit

Edel, right? I liked her “I’m tired, this sucks” last-two-days-of-the-music-festival energy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gully Foyle posted:

Yeah, there's no evidence that this dungeon was used as a test ever before. That one mage-lady (sorry, don't remember most of the names) even said her brother was part of the investigation into the place, whereupon most everyone died to the Spiegel. That doesn't jive with the idea that this is a tame dungeon they use all the time.

It seems like the Spiegel probably senses the strongest person to use as the defender of its body, and then the remainder as a way to corral and kill the invaders.

The tests seem like they are basically up to the proctors in terms of how they are designed. We saw that the 2nd class test was to move the guy with the strongest defensive spells, but that's because he himself came up with the test. A proctor with a strong offensive nature might require students to defend against their attacks instead.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the proctors just cook them up themselves and they differ according to the proctor. Like back during the first test there's a scene where Sense calls out Genau (the other proctor) on his test being cruel since it implicitly will lead to fighting and/or killing, and he's just like "tough poo poo, if they can't get the bird, then they weren't cut out for first class in the first place"

We also see that when the invitation/info about the 2nd test goes out, Lawine (or Kanne, one of them) is worried about Sense giving the test because supposedly no one's ever passed one of her tests, not because "awww gently caress it's the dungeon test". Now is it because she's been rehashing this dungeon for years and no one's been good enough to beat it, or she's just been giving tough tests in other ways, who can say.

I have to imagine the lower class exams are more standardized. Like... 10th class is probably just that "firing a beam at a far away rock" poo poo that Fern did as a kid.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Fern didn't mention any weird tests when she took that 3rd class exam before the journey began and they later mentioned that she was youngest mage who ever got "top marks" on it, so I assume third class exam is relatively standardized. The wacky tests probably begin once you want to get in the class where there is a chance that Serie will pay attention to you, because she would almost certainly sulk if you didn't had to defeat a dragon, or win a battle royale or clear a dungeon, or do whatever else she deems as sufficiently badass, to get in that position.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Lt. Lizard posted:

Fern didn't mention any weird tests when she took that 3rd class exam before the journey began and they later mentioned that she was youngest mage who ever got "top marks" on it, so I assume third class exam is relatively standardized. The wacky tests probably begin once you want to get in the class where there is a chance that Serie will pay attention to you, because she would almost certainly sulk if you didn't had to defeat a dragon, or win a battle royale or clear a dungeon, or do whatever else she deems as sufficiently badass, to get in that position.

That was my read as well. One of the recurring refrains in this arc has been about the absurdly high standards they want the title of "First Class Mage" to represent. About once per episode we've had someone say "This challenge is completely insane and totally unreasonable" and the standard response has been "Well yeah, that's the point, you want to be a First-Class Mage right?"

They also bring up that Sense has, apparently to date, not passed anyone in any of her exams and this is treated by the various other First-Class Mages as a completely normal and proportionate response. "This exam is impossible!" "And you failed it so you aren't a First-Class Mage."

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
They're all second and third class mages (sans Frieren) so they've passed exams like the "knock the mage back" test which they didn't find unreasonable.

So only the first-class mage exams are unreasonably difficult and purposely so.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
These are people in competition to become part of the top 0.0001% of (A depopulated but recovering) humanity, unreasonable requirements are quite reasonable.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Based on the histories of the participants, 2nd class at least considers the need for direct combat and support prowess, with some administrative aptitude. 1st class seems more the rank of headline combatants, generals, supervisors, and research admins.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also there has only ever been like 45 First Class Mages in 50 Years the Association has existed.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Welp (no idea why the sound doesn't work)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is that based on the Star Wars special advertising cut?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

Is that based on the Star Wars special advertising cut?

Yep. God I know it'll get old fast but edits of that are my favorite meme of the moment.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This is also a test that's run every two years so while it is regular, it's not super frequent

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xelkelvos posted:

This is also a test that's run every two years so while it is regular, it's not super frequent

Three years.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
no one had ever passed before when sense was proctoring this exam so this is the first time the spiegel was killed.

she'll need to come up with a new exam if she proctors again

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Where do people get the idea it's been the same exam every time?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/oxymoron_0213/status/1767568703921738064?s=19

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Where do people get the idea it's been the same exam every time?

If anything, the proctors of the First Class mage exam would want to make sure that the exam is different every single time, or else people would figure out a strategy beforehand, and that would take away the important lesson of learning to think on your feet and work with others that you may never have or never want to work with to complete a mission.

If Lawine didn't have knowledge about the dungeon beforehand because of her brothers, I doubt her and Kanne would have been able to get to the bottom to meet up with everyone (which someone noted), Kanne especially. Also when she presented what she knew about the dungeon to the group, everyone looked to take it as new information, which implies that nobody else knew anything about the dungeon beforehand or thought to ask anybody who might know about it during the 3 days between receiving the notification to meet at the Ruins of the King's Tomb and the exam (and this also kind of implies that Lawine didn't know about the details of the dungeon until after getting the notice, and that she just asked her brothers if they knew about it since they happened to be in town, otherwise she probably would have shared that info with Frieren or otherwise reacted accordingly if she knew already).

Also the conversation between Sense and Genau at the end of episode 22 implies that Sense has never run an exam there before, and the conversation between Genau and the dude with glasses in episode 24 kind of confirms it: when dude asks Genau why Sense chose to have a test there; if she'd done it there before, he'd already know why.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 13, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Série ordered Sense to clear that dungeon and Sense was like: drat, and I am supposed to be the proctor of the upcoming first class exam too...wait, I just got a brilliant idea.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
"I'm a pacifist, so I can't eradicate monsters from a dungeon."

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/tentenchan2525/status/1767872809571909886?s=19

Accurate

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Frieren not holding a giant hamburg steak or a plushy treasure chest is fail.

Also, what?! I want a giant chibi Frieren thingy. :stare:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

https://twitter.com/MissesVibes/status/1767927411247628373?s=19

Do you have $180 and patience

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
You'd think Frieren would have a specialty weapon made specifically to stick into a chest to deal with mimics, but maybe she actually likes it in there.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
No it's dark! And scary!!!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

lol. That seller emitting high intensity furry energy.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

The exam showed luck is also a skill.

Since of those duo ice and water mage.
The ice one is arguably “the better mage” better grades, higher noble born. But she failed cause she has the bad luck of running into the hair replica and the other didn’t

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

AlternateNu posted:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm really hoping right now that the third test isn't a battle royale or tournament. For one thing with the number of episodes left they'd have to truncate part of it to fit probably and I don't see them doing that with how they've handled pacing so far. For another thing it would just be disappointing because we've already had enough cool battle scenes it would feel anticlimactic to see Frieren just kind of wipe the floor with the rest of them.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Serie runs the third test and sabotages frieren by making it about mimic detection

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Simple test, put your hand in this chest for 1 minute

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jerkface posted:

Simple test, put your hand in this chest for 1 minute

Ah, the Nom Jabbar.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm not fond of the vast majority of anime.

I like this show.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Good episode.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
In hindsight I should've figured it out before being told from the themes of Frieren but it still was a surprise moment for me finding out that the demon king saw through Frieren's mana suppression at first glance

It's particularly poignant point to me since we also find out that Serie is better at mana suppression than Frieren. It all makes sense now why Frieren was the one who would defeat the demon king.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ChronoReverse posted:

In hindsight I should've figured it out before being told from the themes of Frieren but it still was a surprise moment for me finding out that the demon king saw through Frieren's mana suppression at first glance

It's particularly poignant point to me since we also find out that Serie is better at mana suppression than Frieren. It all makes sense now why Frieren was the one who would defeat the demon king.

Also Frieren's max is about equal to Serie's suppressed.