Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

This is loving crazy.

The President of the United States is calling to consolidate the families of a foreign soldier KIA.

while arming the killers of scores of american citizen children stuck in gaza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

way wrong thread

dti dta

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Crazypoops posted:

Mindfulness getaways

these are more like a ghettoway

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

This is loving crazy.

The President of the United States is calling to consolidate the families of a foreign soldier KIA.

That's just good business sense. One conference call to hundreds of families saves a lot of time and money.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Cripes, can I get a heads up next time before I potentially give that shitbird a click?

Lol, imagine if he had waited to publish his Azov romantic novella until early 2023

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8foeY9rNTTw&t=772s

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
https://twitter.com/BTnewsroom/status/1767945051173232697?t=fhQdD8cvSRcA9KkC1VfODw&s=19

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Oh that will actually piss off the bourgeoisie.

Except they probably didn't get the private jet terminal.

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Right?! loving "Six million people and the destruction of the European Jewry, for all intents and purposes" vs "but if it didn't happen Jews would have assimilated in America and Israel wouldn't exist."

I think you're actually being too charitable to the author: the guy fully believes that racial destiny means that the Jews will rule the lands of Israel even absent the Holocaust, but is disturbed that American Jews wouldn't get to fully share in the glory of this destiny and that it would be a harder road to establish the Jewish state (and defeat International Communism). His calculation is "six million dead Jews is a price I'm happy to pay if it strengthens the fascist project," and his idea of what "strengthening" entails is basically just protection of it from any form of criticism that would either impede its efficiency as it moves towards inevitable victory, or force him to confront the contradiction between his professed desire to be enjoy all the benefits of American life and his fantasies of a state embodying the violent domination of a master race above all others. This book genuinely looks to be one of the most abhorrent things I've ever seen in fiction.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.

Al-Saqr posted:

hey man thanks i will still post news but im done with twitter, its actively destroying my emotional state and makes me super sad and depressed all the time, its too much.

im glad they suspended me its time to turn off that poison swamp.

i dont regret any insults and death threats i threw at people they deserved it.

from now on ill be posting updates from aljazeeras website. much healthier that way for my state of mind.

I got my account locked for a week for saying "Israelis are the killers"

the anti fact brigade got me

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Easy Rider posted:

I think you're actually being too charitable to the author: the guy fully believes that racial destiny means that the Jews will rule the lands of Israel even absent the Holocaust, but is disturbed that American Jews wouldn't get to fully share in the glory of this destiny and that it would be a harder road to establish the Jewish state (and defeat International Communism). His calculation is "six million dead Jews is a price I'm happy to pay if it strengthens the fascist project," and his idea of what "strengthening" entails is basically just protection of it from any form of criticism that would either impede its efficiency as it moves towards inevitable victory, or force him to confront the contradiction between his professed desire to be enjoy all the benefits of American life and his fantasies of a state embodying the violent domination of a master race above all others. This book genuinely looks to be one of the most abhorrent things I've ever seen in fiction.

I appreciate your insight. I couldn't put my finger on what felt so off about it.

e: Why the particular focus on the Orthodox and Chasid though?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Marenghi posted:

What's the story with that soldier. He was killed on base during the Oct 7th retaliation but they are only finding out now?

Did Hamas take out a tank on Oct 7th?

yes. we even got to watch quadcopter drone videos of grenades being dropped on them in near real time

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Israel is often overly regarded for their weapon designs. I would go so far as to say deeply, severely regarded

not just weapons but anything military or survivalist. some guys have Israeli style first aid kits they keep next to their Israeli style survival tents in their trunk

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

not just weapons but anything military or survivalist. some guys have Israeli style first aid kits they keep next to their Israeli style survival tents in their trunk

thinking of disgusting canned food whenever israeli survival gear is brought up

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/13/us-would-back-a-limited-military-campaign-in-rafah-00146827
The US privately told Israel the kind of Rafah campaign it could support

quote:

Senior U.S. officials have told their Israeli counterparts the Biden administration would support Israel going after high-value Hamas targets in and underneath Rafah — as long as Israel avoids a large-scale invasion that could fracture the alliance.

The Biden administration is still grappling with what kind of Israeli military operation it can accept in Rafah, with U.S. officials knowing full well Israel wants to eliminate Hamas’ four battalions in the southern Gaza city on Egypt’s border. President Joe Biden’s “red line,” which he drew over the weekend, is that Israel should no longer pursue a campaign without credible civilian protection plans in place.

But Israel’s military still has yet to produce such a plan. Two Israeli officials said the military is still developing ideas to ensure the safety of 1.3 million Palestinians in and around the city, many of whom fled there to avoid the war.

In private conversations, top administration officials have signaled to Israel that they could support a plan more akin to counterterrorism operations than all-out war, four U.S. officials said. That, the administration officials argue, would minimize civilian casualties, decimate Hamas’ ranks and avoid scenes that have led to souring public opinion on Israel’s campaign and Biden’s handling of the war.

The privately conveyed stance adds more specificity to what the administration has hinted at in public.

For months, the Biden administration has pushed Israel to consider a military plan requiring specialized, more-precise troops to fight roughly 3,000 Hamas militants in Rafah — the same number that Hamas used to attack Israel on Oct. 7. They want to avoid Israeli forces turning the city to rubble and killing many Palestinians civilians. A large-scale campaign, Biden and his top aides have said publicly, would not be acceptable.

[...]

However, citing military intelligence briefed to senior-level White House and administration officials, some key members of Biden’s team doubt Israel aims to conduct a major military operation in Gaza soon.

“They’d have to do some repositioning of forces, and that has not happened,” said a Defense Department official. “It’s not imminent.”

The official argued that lack of action is a sign that Israel is taking U.S. warnings into account. “Israel is going to do what Israel decides to do. It’s kind of like trying to predict the weather,” the DOD official continued. “But has the message sent been heard? Yes.”

All officials POLITICO spoke to stressed that Israel’s plans could change anytime, declining to say for certain that Israel would not eventually conduct a larger operation, perhaps due to changes in the country’s political environment.

The U.S. administration has also asserted in recent days that Biden’s statement about a “red line” was not definitive.

“The president didn’t make any declarations or pronouncements or announcements,” Sullivan told reporters Tuesday from the White House podium. “Our position is that a military operation in Rafah that does not protect civilians, that cuts off the main arteries of humanitarian assistance and that places enormous pressure on the Israel-Egypt border is not something that he can support.”
[...]

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

bedpan posted:

thinking of disgusting canned food whenever israeli survival gear is brought up

thinkin of israel every time i see canned tuna lol

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

is there a reliable count of civilians vs. idf personnel killed on Oct 7? basically all the news stories I saw about Itay Chen made it sound like he was a tourist on vacation, not an armed combatant.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Israel is often overly regarded for their weapon designs. I would go so far as to say deeply, severely regarded

Which is funny, as their best gun is just an AK-47 with a bottle opener. There’s only one type of guy who likes Israeli guns :godwin:

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I appreciate your insight. I couldn't put my finger on what felt so off about it.

e: Why the particular focus on the Orthodox and Chasid though?

I can't confidently speak to why without diving deeper into the rabbit hole, but my reflexive guess is that it's some combination of a few things.

First, he romanticizes the Hasidim and other "foreign" Orthodox Jews as more primitive, and therefore more authentic, peoples who, although they're inferior to the idealized Jewish fascist, serve as a reminder of the racial/religious division of Jews and gentiles, and create the necessary tensions to destabilize race relations and justify a Jewish supremacist response. If the Hasidim didn't already exist, he'd have to invent them.

Add that they’re in the USSR and can be imagined as the victims of anti-Semitic persecution thanks to the conflation of the Soviets and Nazis, and they can provide a plausible route to justifying the Zionist project despite the lack of a Holocaust. Their suffering under Soviet “totalitarianism” justifies both the foundation of Israel and aligns its interests with the United States as a front against the International Judeo-Bolshevik Conspiracy. If Israel is only thinkable if you build its foundations on the martyred dead, the "danger" facing the Eastern European "foreign" Jews serve to reintroduce their destruction as a theoretical possibility. The Holocaust must be prevented again, because it is a historic inevitability without the existence of a powerful ethno-religious regime that can secure a future for its people and their children, guard against Judeo-Bolshevik subversion, and so on.

Of course, this is a fantasy for the American Zionist, a muscular and secular figure who must, at the end of the story, be made capable of a claim to the fulfilment of Jewish racial destiny. The Hasidim, with their insularity, often tense relationship to even other Orthodox sects, and so on, can’t fulfill this destiny, leaving the role open for the American Zionist. The "foreign" Jews inhabit the past, while the future belongs to the fascists.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Which is funny, as their best gun is just an AK-47 with a bottle opener. There’s only one type of guy who likes Israeli guns :godwin:

Every gun has a bottle opener if you're a good enough shot.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

JHomer722 posted:

is there a reliable count of civilians vs. idf personnel killed on Oct 7? basically all the news stories I saw about Itay Chen made it sound like he was a tourist on vacation, not an armed combatant.

The numbers are something like 1200 total, 400 of them being idf.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Easy Rider posted:

I can't confidently speak to why without diving deeper into the rabbit hole, but my reflexive guess is that it's some combination of a few things.

First, he romanticizes the Hasidim and other "foreign" Orthodox Jews as more primitive, and therefore more authentic, peoples who, although they're inferior to the idealized Jewish fascist, serve as a reminder of the racial/religious division of Jews and gentiles, and create the necessary tensions to destabilize race relations and justify a Jewish supremacist response. If the Hasidim didn't already exist, he'd have to invent them.

Add that they’re in the USSR and can be imagined as the victims of anti-Semitic persecution thanks to the conflation of the Soviets and Nazis, and they can provide a plausible route to justifying the Zionist project despite the lack of a Holocaust. Their suffering under Soviet “totalitarianism” justifies both the foundation of Israel and aligns its interests with the United States as a front against the International Judeo-Bolshevik Conspiracy. If Israel is only thinkable if you build its foundations on the martyred dead, the "danger" facing the Eastern European "foreign" Jews serve to reintroduce their destruction as a theoretical possibility. The Holocaust must be prevented again, because it is a historic inevitability without the existence of a powerful ethno-religious regime that can secure a future for its people and their children, guard against Judeo-Bolshevik subversion, and so on.

Of course, this is a fantasy for the American Zionist, a muscular and secular figure who must, at the end of the story, be made capable of a claim to the fulfilment of Jewish racial destiny. The Hasidim, with their insularity, often tense relationship to even other Orthodox sects, and so on, can’t fulfill this destiny, leaving the role open for the American Zionist. The "foreign" Jews inhabit the past, while the future belongs to the fascists.

:psypop:

Everything you said makes perfect sense. It's just incredibly hosed up.

The review in the Association for Jewish Studies journal agrees with your analysis, but like the author, thinks this is good, actually:

"(World history with the Third Reich defeated early gets a paragraph) This is all good clean fun, but the thrust of this alternative history is the fate of American Jewry itself. That is why Gurock devotes some space to sociologist Marshall Sklare and none to Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel. Because only the Soviet Union annexes Poland, no Holocaust consciousness ever emerges in the United States in the 1950s and 1960s. A fuller absorption of Jews into the national mainstream can therefore be achieved, without much lingering awareness that the Diaspora has so recently been a site of ineffable torment and the murder of millions of coreligionists. Without the shock of the Final Solution to register among American Jewry in different phases and with different levels of intensity, the process of integration is virtually complete. The author speculates that communal spokesmen and scholars thus feel obliged to produce books of lamentations, which excoriate the spiritual emptiness with which Judaism is practiced. What saves American Jewry from slow extinction, “a community in steep decline” (272), however, is the rebirth of a Jewish state in the Middle East. Gurock's speculative history of Israel varies little from what actually occurred, with military victories over the Arab states in the late 1940s as well as two decades later, and a dramatically heightened awareness among American Jews of the value of the Zionist struggle for independence and security.

The Holocaust Averted is therefore something of a hybrid. It plays out all sorts of events that never occurred, embedded within a narrative of what truly did happen. But the book suffers from its generic elusiveness, its hard-to-categorize ambiguity. Acquisitions librarians will be puzzled; historians may feel some dissatisfaction as well. Once the premise is installed that most of Europe managed to escape German occupation, the counterfactuals are rarely audacious enough to shed a dazzlingly new light on the past. The scaffolding that allows faux episodes to be plausible, however, requires Gurock to honor the authoritative interpretations of mid-twentieth-century history that are, of necessity, familiar. The conceptual tension that might have been struck by the disorienting juxtaposition of fiction and fact therefore fails to vibrate through The Holocaust Averted."

and I feel like the reviewer is saying the same premise that is absolutely jaw dropping to me isn't enough of a counterfactual to be interesting

e: Everything we talked about comes together in this single image imo

The header, the side bar, the loving title. Christ.

"‘Things could have been much worse had the cataclysm of the Holocaust not happened,” said Dr. Jeffrey S. Gurock recently over lunch at a Jerusalem café."

"What Gurock demonstrates in his book is that World War II was a major turning point in American Jewish history, and that many positive things came out of it for American Jews as well as for US-Israel relations. Had key moments in the run-up to and during the course of the war played out differently, the Holocaust may not have happened. Gurock posits that instead, Jews in America would have had to “run for cover.” They would have had to assume—and maintain—a low profile, never achieving the level of empowerment and agency that we associate with American Jews today."

"Dr. Shalom Salomon Wald, author of the recently published “Rise and Decline of Civilizations: Lessons for the Jewish People” told The Times of Israel he believes doing counterfactual history like this is worthwhile, but with limits. Wald’s book, while not focused on speculative history, does has a chapter on the impact of fortune and chance events on history.

When asked what he thought the Jewish world would be like today had the Holocaust not happened, Wald answered that he was quite sure the State of Israel would not have been created. (In Gurock’s book, Israel exists, but it is less powerful and less allied to the US as is in reality).

“There would be no State of Israel, only a strong Jewish community in the Land of Israel,” Wald said. “I’m a Zionist, so it is not easy for me to say that.”"

These people are sick.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 04:30 on Mar 14, 2024

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
speaking of sickos, a tiny speck of justice here: https://twitter.com/StopArabHate/status/1768041264417587341

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

“What’s six million dead Jews to fulfil our national destiny and reclaim our homeland?” was literally the calculus of the perpetrators of the Holocaust, so seeing Zionist academics proudly say the same thing… Jesus.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.axios.com/2024/03/14/us-settler-sanctions-west-bank

Ugh I guess it's been 5 months, have a crumb of sanctions.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
well it worked out great for them. They get to live out the muscular dream of being a strong masculine and virile race - (at a good distance under the american aegis) - while maintaining the benefits of living middle class lives at the heart of the world systems. It is worrying for my ethnic group because as indian americans also start climbing up the ladder really fast, they can deal with their alienation by treating India as a similar antfarm for their experiments.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pomeroy posted:

speaking of sickos, a tiny speck of justice here: https://twitter.com/StopArabHate/status/1768041264417587341

lmao you dumb bitch you worked at howard and thought you would get away with saying that

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

“What’s six million dead Jews to fulfil our national destiny and reclaim our homeland?” was literally the calculus of the perpetrators of the Holocaust, so seeing Zionist academics proudly say the same thing… Jesus.

Firstly, it is so grim.

Secondly, don't sign your posts.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Officer Sandvich posted:

It is worth noting a significant part of the non idf count, the "civilians", were armed, basically militia members. Heck even their ambulance drivers are armed.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the Israelis threatened to invade Rafah at the beginning of Ramadan, which was four days ago. I don't think they're actually capable of doing it if they're still trying to come up with actionable plans for attacking Rafah. IDF regulars already have their hands full in the rest of Gaza and the West Bank while the resistance has more freedom to act with the reservists demobilized. I don't think the Israelis can admit that they're not capable of such an operation, and all this talk about figuring out the most humanitarian way to go about it is kayfabe.

https://x.com/MayadeenEnglish/status/1768140227401470461?s=20

quote:

The Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth cites a settler as saying that "a sense of helplessness" accompanies all settlers in al-Jalil.

The Israeli newspaper Yedioth Ahronoth highlighted the situation facing settlers in northern settlements, emphasizing that they are "drained and paying a heavy price due to the fighting with Hezbollah."

According to the newspaper, the settlers in the north are "depressed" and are posing questions such as, "What do we do to end the nightmare of Hezbollah rockets?"

The newspaper cited an Israeli settler living in one of the al-Jalil settlements near the border with Lebanon as saying that "settlers there live among Hezbollah rockets," describing the situation as "terrible".

Yedioth Ahronoth mentioned that more than 60,000 Israelis in al-Jalil settlements have been displaced and evacuated to other settlements since the start of the fighting in October.

It added that since October, the "northern community" has collapsed, many businesses have been shut down, and displaced settlers have scattered to other settlements.

One settler told the newspaper that someone from the Israeli leadership must address the settlers' problems, adding that Israeli the government has forgotten the settlers in the north "and has become accustomed to their living under war."

The settler added that "a sense of helplessness" accompanies all al-Jalil settlers, who never imagined that this situation would continue for more than five months.

On Wednesday, Israeli media expressed frustration at the lack of a solution in sight regarding the mass evacuation of settlers from northern occupied Palestine due to Hezbollah's ongoing operations.

According to a report by The Wall Street Journal in late December 2023, the Resistance operations from Lebanon, which started last October, have led to the fleeing of nearly a quarter-million Israelis from the north.

The Israeli Channel 12 criticized the current situation and how it reflects on the image and state of the occupation entity in front of its settlers.

"How is it conceivable that a sovereign state evacuates its citizens for over 5 months without a solution in sight? This is simply an intolerable situation," the outlet reported.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
All of the Tribes and big families of Gaza put out a unanimous declaration that they stand behind Hamas and refuse any attempts to make them any kind of parallel militia, Hamas put out a statement thanking them.

====

Hamas: The position of the Gaza tribes proves the unity and cohesion of our Palestinian society behind the option of resistance and national unity

https://x.com/AJArabic/status/1768022975247274216?s=20

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Officer Sandvich posted:

I thought Israel revised the death count down to 900ish, with a little over half being civilians

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

The UN and clearly identifiable journalists are Hamas?!?

Source: Haaretz

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...7346#1150217346

UN investigation: IOF tank fire killed 'clearly identifiable' journalist in Lebanon
Reuters
4 hours ago

An Israeli tank killed a Reuters journalist in Lebanon last year when it fired at a group of "clearly identifiable journalists" – according to a UN investigation.

A UN team investigated the incident that occurred on October 13, in which the journalist Issam Abdallah was killed and six other journalists were wounded. The investigation found that no exchange of fire occurred at the time of the incident, and the report stated that shooting civilians violates international law and UN Security Council Resolution 1701. The report said the reason for the attack is unknown.

An IDF spokesNazi, who was asked about the report, said Hezbollah attacked the Israeli Nazis near Hanita that day and the Nazis retaliated, shooting at the location to remove the threat, only afterward receiving a report that the journalists were wounded.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
lol, interesting paragraph order there Haaretz.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.middleeasteye.net/live-blog/live-blog-update/air-dropped-aid-destroys-solar-panels-over-baptist-hospital-gaza

One of those airdrops landed on and destroyed solar panels for the Baptist hospital in Gaza.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/report-houthis-successfully-test-hypersonic-missile-plan-to-begin-production/
https://ria.ru/20240314/khusity-1932840663.html

quote:

The Iran-backed Houthi rebels have successfully tested a hypersonic rocket in Yemen, Russian state news agency RIA Novosti reports, citing a military source.

According to the report, the Houthis are planning to begin manufacturing the missiles for use on targets in the Red Sea, the Arabian Sea and the Gulf of Aden, as well as against targets in Israel.

The Yemen-based terror group has said that it would escalate attacks during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan in solidarity with Palestinians amid the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza.

Months of Houthi Red Sea attacks have disrupted global shipping, forcing firms to re-route to longer and more expensive journeys around southern Africa, and stoked fears that the Israel-Hamas war could spread to destabilize the wider Middle East.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The Israeli military HQ is located in the middle of a shopping mall, isn't it? Feels like that was intentional.

Only in the sense that they needed a quick way to spend their graft money while on duty.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Now THIS is an interesting claim.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Huge if true. Is anybody perticularly familiar with this outlet? If so, how reliable is it usually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sancho Banana posted:

Huge if true. Is anybody familiar with this outlet? If so, how reliable is it usually?

I don't think RIA Novosti is particularly trustworthy and Russian military sources like to bullshit sometimes, but if the AA has their own cheapo hypersonics that would fit their claims of having a "surprise." I'll believe it when I see it, but I wouldn't completely discount the possibility.