Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why did firing the bazooka at the thopter fail one time but work the second?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I think they turned the shield on right before it hit, but not in time to repel the rocket

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The ornithopter shield is dropped when it fires its own weapons, and I figured Chani was trying to time her shot to hit when its shield is off.

However, when she does hit it later, it’s clearly shown that the shield is up, and the projectile hits it and then penetrates it very slowly somehow? You can see the red of the shield being penetrated right as the doorgunner looks down at it.

So I dunno.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Listen, al Gaib,

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Chani's friend: "heh, more like Muad'dweeb."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PeterWeller posted:

To be fair, Dune takes this from Foundation because the former is very much a response to and critique of the latter. Prescience leading to disaster is a direct refutation of Hari Seldon's psychohistory.

Oh yeah, that's a big thing not to be ignored; Dune is specifically a counterpart and critique to classic sci-fi. So much of the setup, with space dukes and barons and sword fights, is straight out of John Carter kind of planetary romance, but it's in a world that's affected by material conditions, takes influence from non-European cultures, and is inhabited by grown-ups. It also specifically takes all those elements because they are cool and make for great backdrops and themes and just expands on them in ways that add to the story, using history for inspiration. (See how entire bits are basically taken straight from Sabres of Paradise)

Schwarzwald posted:

It's interesting reading Foundation in light of Dune because Foundation ain't exactly bloodless either. There's a lot of bloody war and starvation and misery happening just outside its anodyne viewpoint. To the extent Hari Seldon was able to predict/manipulate/profit from that, it ain't hard to view him as a monster.

Of course I wouldn't expect Frank Herbert to have written a whole book as a response to it if he didn't find interesting things in it. It's a remix and counterpoint, taking many of the key elements and flipping them around in nature or in narrative prominence. The Butlerian Jihad is presented as a reason why the setting doesn't have robots or computers like sci-fi was expected to, not as an inherently good thing even if many of the characters believe it to be- especially since, as I've said, the 'machine thinking' never went away, with the society just treating humans like interchangeable machines expected to serve specific purposes. Aspects like Mentats and Navigators are specifically meant to be freaky because they're people who have been twisted mentally and physically into being optimised for a specific job. (Something Warhammer 40k takes and runs with, driving it home a bit better)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I read the synopsis of the books that Brian Herbert wrote to resolve things after Chapterhouse. I only knew about the dogshit prequels.

lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ULTRASPICE

e: Seriously read this bullshit

What the gently caress?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 14, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

RBA Starblade posted:

ULTRASPICE

e: Seriously read this bullshit

What the gently caress?

I got about a third of the way through that article. It just keeps going

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

quote:

Now that Paul is able to devote all of his attention to her, Chani remarks that he has finally learned how to treat his wife. Paul reaffirms his love for Chani, telling her he has loved her for over 5,000 years.

LOL

So happy I never read a word of the post-Frank books.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Simplex posted:

Chani just randomly learned how to pilot an ornithopter somewhere

why would that be a surprise. in the first movie her mum helps paul and jessica escape the sardaukar by pointing them to a hidden ornithopter.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

exmarx posted:

why would that be a surprise. in the first movie her mum helps paul and jessica escape the sardaukar by pointing them to a hidden ornithopter.

Well, though Liet was her father in the books, it's not really established if she's her mother in the films. But even if not, it was a fremen ornithopter in a fremen base, so the scene still establishes that they have them. So, no reason for her to not have learned.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

MrMojok posted:

The ornithopter shield is dropped when it fires its own weapons, and I figured Chani was trying to time her shot to hit when its shield is off.

However, when she does hit it later, it’s clearly shown that the shield is up, and the projectile hits it and then penetrates it very slowly somehow? You can see the red of the shield being penetrated right as the doorgunner looks down at it.

So I dunno.

The shield probably didnt go up in time to stop the missile before it was already halfway through. Thats how I saw it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!
Also chani is neck deep in hardcore guerilla warfare. It makes perfect sense Fremen like her would be prepared to operate a bunch of this machinery

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Martman posted:

Also chani is neck deep in hardcore guerilla warfare. It makes perfect sense Fremen like her would be prepared to operate a bunch of this machinery

Yeah it seems like it you happily accept her operating a SAM launcher but then bump on her piloting a helicopter type thing then maybe you're reaching for something to complain about?

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
if chani was driving a honda minivan with leto ii and ghanima in the back, and realised she forgot to pick up toilet paper at the kroger, could she signal correctly then execute a smooth three-point turn into a driveway to change directions? maybe not. but ornithopters seem really easy to fly. in the future they've got machine controls all figured out

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

It might just be that I have brain problems but I'd watch a whole documentary on the lives of the populace of Giedi Prime in the Villeneuve universe.

Every single person with a job there looks like it's hell on Earth 24/7. The only people consistently having a good time were Feyd's weird-rear end cannibal girlfriends and even then, it seems like feeding them fresh bodies is a lot of upkeep. I wonder if they just have to give up and go get a sandwich sometimes.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Scags McDouglas posted:

It might just be that I have brain problems but I'd watch a whole documentary on the lives of the populace of Giedi Prime in the Villeneuve universe.

Every single person with a job there looks like it's hell on Earth 24/7. The only people consistently having a good time were Feyd's weird-rear end cannibal girlfriends and even then, it seems like feeding them fresh bodies is a lot of upkeep. I wonder if they just have to give up and go get a sandwich sometimes.

"Life is cheap in the Imperium." -Baron Westmoreland

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Scags McDouglas posted:

Lot of civil engineering work though with all those rounded corners and such

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Look, I don't want to be crude, but if you train your goth concubines to be cannibals, how do you trust them not to bite you, y'know, anywhere and everywhere?

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Look, I don't want to be crude, but if you train your goth concubines to be cannibals, how do you trust them not to bite you, y'know, anywhere and everywhere?

It's like having a pet alligator, just keep it fed and you're probably fine.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
the giedi prime equivalent of cocaine hippos

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Illmade posted:

Why don't they just, like, move somewhere else? Just go live on Caladan or whatever. I mean, it's a big universe. There's really no need for anyone to live on Arrakis except spice miners.

Lmao

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Saw the film again with more family members. It was better the second time. I felt the first time was a sensory overload of imagery, spectacle, and sound effects. The script owns too. Holy gently caress what an amazing accomplishment this movie is. Looking forward to part 3.

If you’re on the fence about seeing this in a theater don’t hesitate to go. It really was like watching the matrix or fellowship of the ring for the first time. It was so visceral. My 2 cents.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I read the synopsis of the books that Brian Herbert wrote to resolve things after Chapterhouse. I only knew about the dogshit prequels.

lmao

paaul

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Zadok Allen posted:

If you’re on the fence about seeing this in a theater don’t hesitate to go. It really was like watching the matrix or fellowship of the ring for the first time. It was so visceral. My 2 cents.

I felt this way as well. it's something I'll be looking back on, like being a part of cinema history

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zadok Allen posted:

Saw the film again with more family members. It was better the second time. I felt the first time was a sensory overload of imagery, spectacle, and sound effects. The script owns too. Holy gently caress what an amazing accomplishment this movie is. Looking forward to part 3.

:yeah:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I saw Part 2 alone the first Saturday, came home and talked it up so much my wife actually finally sat down and watched Part 1 (which she loved). We have a sitter tomorrow night for Part 2 and I'm SO excited for her to see it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember an old Wikipedia synopsis of the last sequel book, obviously written by a fan, that was very long and all of the last dozen sentences ended in an exclamation mark. I think Duncan Mk. 5000 becomes Cyber Christ and fixes everything?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember an old Wikipedia synopsis of the last sequel book, obviously written by a fan, that was very long and all of the last dozen sentences ended in an exclamation mark. I think Duncan Mk. 5000 becomes Cyber Christ and fixes everything?

Duncan is the real KH and everyone you ever liked comes back as gholas even though they've been dead for thousands of years lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
SwordmasterAnthony's Birthday

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Eason the Fifth posted:

Duncan is the real KH and everyone you ever liked comes back as gholas even though they've been dead for thousands of years lol

I was looking for an image of Aria the other day, wanting to refresh my mind on how creepy she was in Lynch's Dune, and ended up finding myself on some random Dune wiki and read her story synopsis.

There was something so hilariously droll about how a wiki article matter of factly states how all these characters came back to life, undid all the bad things and are given happy endings instead.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Just look at the cover to Sandworms of Dune, and it will convey every last thing you need to know about those atrocious novels.

And no, I'm not posting a picture. :colbert:

:v:

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
PSYCORPS

Nothing is worth dying for, except Palestinians for Israel

Isometric Bacon posted:

I was looking for an image of Aria the other day, wanting to refresh my mind on how creepy she was in Lynch's Dune, and ended up finding myself on some random Dune wiki and read her story synopsis.

There was something so hilariously droll about how a wiki article matter of factly states how all these characters came back to life, undid all the bad things and are given happy endings instead.

We need a Frank Herbert ghola to come to life just to smack the poo poo out of his son.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Denis Villeneuve earns my eternal gratitude for tastefully demoting Alia's role, and executing the climax far better than the book.

Some characters and concepts exist in the Tom Bombadil zone, where they simply can't be faithfully depicted without the audience being weirded out or laughing for the wrong reasons.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/muoi_art/status/1767249575650222447?t=Z1jtWiA3SlXRsEqHjBc6Ug&s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Denis Villeneuve earns my eternal gratitude for tastefully demoting Alia's role, and executing the climax far better than the book.

Some characters and concepts exist in the Tom Bombadil zone, where they simply can't be faithfully depicted without the audience being weirded out or laughing for the wrong reasons.

I had made the joke that Count Fenring is Dune's Tom Bombadil.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Isn’t Anderson the Luke->Luuke guy who now is also responsible for Paul->Paolo?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Unfortunately, Timothy Zahn did the dumb extra U's in clone names, not KJA. But Anderson has done a lot of his own stupid moves, and deciding to ape the silliest thing in Zahn's books with "Paolo" is very within his power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Scags McDouglas posted:

idk if Chani becomes truly antagonistic to Paul, that's a pretty permanent divergence from the plot. The events of Children / Leto II are pretty much gone (that's a bad thing!) but it gives a lot of wriggle room to make a movie in the Messiah chronology that could appeal to an audience (good thing?).

It seems like Dennis is a fanboy of the series so I doubt if he's going to go full Brian Herbert and just make a third movie written by himself.

It’s been a long, long time since I read Messiah, but if I start with the basic assumption of Chani dying in childbirth isn’t a good thing because she’s an actual character in the movies, it’s not hard to imagine a film that is both faithful to the story and a bit modified in the details. The entire arc for Paul there is both becoming an actual messiah in developing true vision despite the expectations of the Fremen, but also ultimately acquiescing to their traditions by exiling himself into the desert and realizing he was wrong. Just do that and have his reconciliation with Chani align with him accepting the Fremen ways and have her die some other way.