Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Gotta say, Blackthorne has excellent chopsticks skills. He's only been there a few weeks and is snarfing that natto like a pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Why did the Chinese think the English were so cool looking???

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

withak posted:

Delete it from your youtube history.

yeah, don't ever click that poo poo bro

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Fortunately the thumbnails aren't subtle, and all it takes is a click on the three dots and "Don't recommend channel".

edit; haha, just after I posted this I got another one. This channel appears to use a cartoon fox/cat avatar to convey how we should be upset.

edit2; Oh good lord, even Japanese ChudTube is at it.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 14, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

lol

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Anyway, I actually learned something interesting from the Reddit Shogun page about "I'd sooner pull a gourd from a horse" that Fuji says. She's quoting a proverb: 瓢箪から駒が出る "Hyoutan kara koma ga deru", which just means something completely unexpected. Literally, it translates as "A pony emerging from a gourd". Which is reversed from how it's subtitled.

The best part of the Reddit thread is people who are watching it with non-English subtitles, and the line is translated as:

“It’s going to rain red” (Mandarin proverb)
"I'd sooner thread a rope through a needle" (Romanian)
"I was not expecting that" (Brazilian Portuguese)
"I would rather jump off a bridge" (Spanish)

Interesting that for a show so fastidious about its language usage that there is so much difference going on here.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The "polycolle" in that autotranslate is "political correctness".

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 14, 2024

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Alhazred posted:

You must forgive Anjin-sama, he will eat the rice.

I WILL NOT EAT THE BLOODY RICE!

Eat the rice, Blackthorne.

*Eats the rice while glaring*

Sad that this can't be the thread title

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Anyway, I actually learned something interesting from the Reddit Shogun page about "I'd sooner pull a gourd from a horse" that Fuji says. She's quoting a proverb: 瓢箪から駒が出る "Hyoutan kara koma ga deru", which just means something completely unexpected. Literally, it translates as "A pony emerging from a gourd". Which is reversed from how it's subtitled.

The best part of the Reddit thread is people who are watching it with non-English subtitles, and the line is translated as:

Interesting that for a show so fastidious about its language usage that there is so much difference going on here.

It's not a mistake to change the idioms in localization instead of literal translation, it's a choice. (Other than the reversal of gourd and horse)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Also a word for "payment for services that is a foodstuff"

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Mantle posted:

It's not a mistake to change the idioms in localization instead of literal translation, it's a choice. (Other than the reversal of gourd and horse)

Never said it was a mistake.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Last week I visited the USS Constitution and there was a little display table below decks showcasing different sizes of cannonball and different types of shot, which is where I learned about chain shot for the first time. And now a week later it's in my current favorite show!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fortunately the thumbnails aren't subtle, and all it takes is a click on the three dots and "Don't recommend channel".

edit; haha, just after I posted this I got another one. This channel appears to use a cartoon fox/cat avatar to convey how we should be upset.

edit2; Oh good lord, even Japanese ChudTube is at it.

I was just thinking the other day how nice it was that there's no chud-driven discourse around this show to sully one's enjoyment of it. Whether that's because it's both overwhelmingly popular and kinda niche at the same time, or that it's not based on any inherently nerd-driven IPs or probably just due to the fact that it's like 75% in Japanese and that requires actually reading subtitles and chuds tend to be actually illiterate in addition to being media illiterate, either way it's a nice little island in the constant storm that is "enjoying things on the internet in the 21st century."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like how everyone is in impeccable period costume, but Blackthorne carries it like he is in a bathrobe.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Okay, wow. They tee you up after the buildup onto THIS IS HOW THE FIGHTING IS GOING TO BE DEPICTED. Brutally realistic. gently caress. This is gonna get bananas. I'm much more forgiving of some of the cheap looking greenscreen stuff if this is what they are throwing money into.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The other Shogun thing YouTube keeps recommending is reactions to the show. And like most reaction channels, 95% of them are just not that good, but mostly in a boring way. Like, they have nothing interesting to observe or they're too busy mugging to the camera to catch the subtitles, but in general they like the show. So far all the chuddery seems to be contained in the orbit of that rage-bait article.

The best negative reaction I have seen is a guy on Reddit who seems a tad too upset that his favorite scenes in the novel are not being recreated precisely as they unfold in the book.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 14, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ah yes, the Tom Bombadil faction

They are manifesting in the Dune threads also.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The other Shogun thing YouTube keeps recommending is reactions to the show. And like most reaction channels, 95% of them are just not that good, but mostly in a boring way. Like, they have nothing interesting to observe or they're too busy mugging to the camera to catch the subtitles, but in general they like the show. So far all the chuddery seems to be contained in the orbit of that rage-bait article.

The best negative reaction I have seen is a guy on Reddit who seems a tad too upset that his favorite scenes in the novel are not being recreated precisely as they unfold in the book.

There are definitely some scenes where I prefer the book version, but lol at being a bombadil about this book in particular

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

kiimo posted:

ah yes, the Tom Bombadil faction

They are manifesting in the Dune threads also.

He apparently wanted the boat chase scene to be just like the books:

Guy on Reddit posted:

Blackthorn boards the ship with Toranaga and Mirko. He gorges himself sick. The catholics want Blackthorn as part of the negotiations. Rodriguez throws him overboard to save him.

Once Blackthorn takes control of the Japanese frigate, the Portuguese frigate attacks! Rodriguez and Blackthorn play an epic game of cat and mouse. Both are trying as hard as they can to get the upper hand. Blackthorn even tries to shoot Rodriguez.

Then they leave the harbor and Ferreria gets heated when Rodriguez won't ram the Japanese frigate. Rodriguez repays his debt to Blackthorn but vows to kill him later.

It's an entertaining scene in the book; I totally forgot Blackthorne was drunk. But talk about tonal whiplash for the TV show. The 1980 miniseries hewed closer to the book scene, but was clearly filmed in some studio backlot pool.

edit; Plus this new version gave us ride-or-die Captain-sama.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hailthefish posted:

There are definitely some scenes where I prefer the book version, but lol at being a bombadil about this book in particular

Book purists are usually the worst part of any adaptation fandom. They made the Wheel of Time threads miserable until everyone told them to shut the gently caress up because the show was finally fun as poo poo and good now and doing cool things by going off-script from the book order.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I listened to the podcast and they actually write in English, translate into Japanese, send to a Japanese screenwriter who specializes in historical drama for a rewrite, then send that to the localization team to be translated into subtitles.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Yeah, I'm really liking the changes they are making. It's like when a composer writes a piece based on another composer's theme. Besides, the book will always still exist.

edit; I was responding to Bombadilling chat, not subtitle chat.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 14, 2024

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

He apparently wanted the boat chase scene to be just like the books:

It's an entertaining scene in the book; I totally forgot Blackthorne was drunk. But talk about tonal whiplash for the TV show. The 1980 miniseries hewed closer to the book scene, but was clearly filmed in some studio backlot pool.

edit; Plus this new version gave us ride-or-die Captain-sama.

ride or die captainsama is also in the book!

and yeah the boat chase is what I was thinking of when I mentioned scenes I liked better in the book, but I immediately understood why they simplified it. Cut all the back and forth and "should we attack him" "yes" "no" "ishido's better for us" "no he's not" "i see the pirate" "don't you dare" "why not? war's already started" "no it hasn't" poo poo, cut out all the bullshit of blackthorne gorging and throwing up and mariko and a maid having to strip him naked (of course) and trying to wash him and dress him in western clothes and having a bunch of 'oh wow aren't these clothes so weird and foreign' and then having a run in with a racist rapist Portuguese bosun and blah blah blah, save a fuckin half hour of runtime and distill the scene down to its essence: Toranaga makes a deal, the Portuguese want to gently caress over Blackthorne, Toranaga's willing to give Blackthorne up if that's what it costs, Blackthorne saves himself with help from Rodriguez against the wishes of his Captain-General, repaying Rodriguez's debt of a life.

also the book version of the swimming scene is both slightly less weird (everyone's swimming and goofing off in the water and blackthorne dives in to join them and toranaga goes "that's rad! teach me!") and slightly more weird (everyone is naked, blackthorne has to repress a boner at seeing mariko naked, blackthorne and toranaga admire eachothers' figures)

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
When a book adaptation earns my respect by actually being good (like this one) I for one am willing to give the writers / directors the benefit of the doubt for scene changes like the boat scene. I thought it played out fine in the show despite the differences from the book.

There are a million possible reasons why the scene was changed, and as long as the show is delivering on the themes, plots, and performances, I'm fine with their choices.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When people complain about an awesome scene because it veers away from exactly how it happened in the book I really appreciate it.

It helps me remember which goons are insufferable pricks that I should avoid.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kiimo posted:

When people complain about an awesome scene because it veers away from exactly how it happened in the book I really appreciate it.

It helps me remember which goons are insufferable pricks that I should avoid.

:yeah:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I agree completely. Books are written differently than a TV show. The storyline should almost remain the same, but they are different mediums. Even when a show branches off the books, I'm cool with it, because we get a story twice and told in different ways. You read the book, why do you want the show to do the same thing the book did? You already experienced it that way, now experience it a different way. If they are both enjoyable, why should you care?

I'll read the book after this show, for maybe the first time ever. Every thing about this show is killing it, so I'll do the book thing after.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah it is a really loving good adaptation of a novel that is very long and drags a looooooot

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hailthefish posted:

ride or die captainsama is also in the book!

and yeah the boat chase is what I was thinking of when I mentioned scenes I liked better in the book, but I immediately understood why they simplified it. Cut all the back and forth and "should we attack him" "yes" "no" "ishido's better for us" "no he's not" "i see the pirate" "don't you dare" "why not? war's already started" "no it hasn't" poo poo, cut out all the bullshit of blackthorne gorging and throwing up and mariko and a maid having to strip him naked (of course) and trying to wash him and dress him in western clothes and having a bunch of 'oh wow aren't these clothes so weird and foreign' and then having a run in with a racist rapist Portuguese bosun and blah blah blah, save a fuckin half hour of runtime and distill the scene down to its essence: Toranaga makes a deal, the Portuguese want to gently caress over Blackthorne, Toranaga's willing to give Blackthorne up if that's what it costs, Blackthorne saves himself with help from Rodriguez against the wishes of his Captain-General, repaying Rodriguez's debt of a life.

also the book version of the swimming scene is both slightly less weird (everyone's swimming and goofing off in the water and blackthorne dives in to join them and toranaga goes "that's rad! teach me!") and slightly more weird (everyone is naked, blackthorne has to repress a boner at seeing mariko naked, blackthorne and toranaga admire eachothers' figures)

I will say I would've preferred the explanation of the Dutch revolt as the context for "unless I win", but i didn't really hate the way it went down, i just think they didn't need to shoehorn the line in in the explanation of the Treaty of Tordesillas.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Panzeh posted:

I will say I would've preferred the explanation of the Dutch revolt as the context for "unless I win", but i didn't really hate the way it went down, i just think they didn't need to shoehorn the line in in the explanation of the Treaty of Tordesillas.

:agreed:

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

ShowTime posted:

I'll read the book after this show, for maybe the first time ever. Every thing about this show is killing it, so I'll do the book thing after.

I want to do the same, but the only copies I can find are split into two parts and have supposedly edited out some of the more weird/controversial stuff.

My library has an original copy ebook, but there is like 45 people in line for it.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Sierra Nevadan posted:

My library has an original copy ebook, but there is like 45 people in line for it.

Not really the place for it, but goddamnit man the whole situation wrt to libraries and digital copies of books makes my blood boil in ways more serious injustice does not.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sierra Nevadan posted:

I want to do the same, but the only copies I can find are split into two parts and have supposedly edited out some of the more weird/controversial stuff.

My price tracker says the Asian Saga box set on Amazon jumped from £35 to £70 on the day the show started. Motherfuckers. :v:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Chances are your dad or an uncle probably has a copy of it

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You can just not engage with the worst dregs of humanity. Sometimes it feels like that possibility gets forgotten.

If some rear end in a top hat chud's awful take is coloring your experience or opinion on a show, that is 100% your own fault.

I know it's not the goon way, but you also may be surprised to know that many aspects of life can be enhanced by not seeking out online idiots and their wrong opinions.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

When there was talk of this version being made a few years ago, I bought my mother a copy of the original miniseries on blu-ray as a birthday gift because she loved it so much. She's been re-watching it in tandem with the new series and she's told me a couple of times now that the new show blows both the 80s mini AND the novel out of the water it's that well done.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

nine-gear crow posted:

When there was talk of this version being made a few years ago, I bought my mother a copy of the original miniseries on blu-ray as a birthday gift because she loved it so much. She's been re-watching it in tandem with the new series and she's told me a couple of times now that the new show blows both the 80s mini AND the novel out of the water it's that well done.

I like the show better too so far even if I liked a few of the book versions of scenes better. The book lets you understand the characters a little better in a way that visual media can't, by actually explaining what's going on in their head, but that's not a fault of the show. If the show sticks the landing and the rest of it as as good as the first four episodes, it'll probably supplant the book for me.

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Do we still have to be coy about Blackthorne-like activities around here? Just in case: you guys should check out Anna's library. It's got a pretty huge archive

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm watching this show because I remember seeing a library copy of Shogun at home in the 80s but I never read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Semisomnum posted:

Do we still have to be coy about Blackthorne-like activities around here? Just in case: you guys should check out Anna's library. It's got a pretty huge archive

Look I think Anna Sawai is great as well but there's no need to go rifling through her library, celebrities deserve their privacy too!