Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

This is how Astro City operates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darth Brooks posted:

My private take (which someone else may have come up with too) is that Gotham and Metropolis should be the same city. Gotham is the older part and more or less perfectly safe during the day. But at night it's when the monsters come out.

Metropolis is the newer part with the skyscrapers. That's when the big hitters come out.

I'm just imagining it like that Looney Tune with the sheepdog and wolf. At like, 6 AM or something, Batman and the Joker just stop fighting and are really nice to each other, then meet Superman and Lex Luthor punching in at a time clock.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The_Doctor posted:

Gotham as some kind of Boston/Baltimore mix fits well.

This was explicitly what Snyder said he envisioned for his movies: Metropolis is New York City/San Francisco. Gotham is Jersey/Oakland.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Canonically, Metropolis is in Delaware

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gotham is New York and Metropolis is Chicago. It seems so obvious and right considering the names and real history and links to the characters that I really don't think I can be convinced otherwise. Like, for one reason it's called Gotham!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There's a New York and Chicago in the DC-verse

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shageletic posted:

There's a New York and Chicago in the DC-verse

Based on / analogous to, not actually those cities in-universe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

Gotham and Metropolis as cities across a small bay from eachother didn’t work for me at all.

I loving hated this. It felt so lazy, all the important stuff happens within this small area.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Gotham is new york and old Metropolis was also nee york, but modern Metropolis is Richmond.
The worst thing dc ever did was start adding in real life cities beyond DC. It should have all stayed imperfect facsimiles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

…What’s unique about Richmond that you can style a fictional city after it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

I guess if you think of Microsoft as Lexcorp?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

GWAR BAR

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Aphrodite posted:

To me modern depections of Metropolis come off as very beltway/defense contractor city

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
First trailer for The Crow.

Has a different vibe from the original. I don't feel strongly one way or the other, but I think the fact that this looks different and has all the expectations of the previous movie is going to turn a lot of people off.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1768276108577783901

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bo-ring

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Yeah it's so different from the book and the original movie it might as well not be named the Crow.

edit: If there's no "Caw! Caw!, Bang gently caress I'm Dead!" it's a 100% no go.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
thankfully i think we just saw all the good parts

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have no attachment either way to The Crow, movie or comic, so it just looks a bog standard revenge movie filtered through a supernatural lens to me.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

X-O posted:

I have no attachment either way to The Crow, movie or comic, so it just looks a bog standard revenge movie filtered through a supernatural lens to me.

That pretty much sums it up.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I am not anti-tattoo but I am anti-poo poo tattoo and that dude is just a walking scrapbook of random, artless trash so I will not be sanctioning this buffoonery.

:colbert:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

First trailer for The Crow.

Has a different vibe from the original. I don't feel strongly one way or the other, but I think the fact that this looks different and has all the expectations of the previous movie is going to turn a lot of people off.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1768276108577783901

You know how after John Wick came out there were like a dozen knock off John Wick movies. This kind of feels like one of them.
One weird criticism I have, and this is just for a trailer of a movie I will probably watch anyway, is how in the og Crow movie the city felt like such a great setting and gave off such a great atmosphere for the movie (raining constantly, gothic buildings in the middle of town because why not, every road is dirty and grungy looking) and for this movie it just doesn't seem to have that vibe. I know it is completely different movie, but that just makes me wonder why they are going with the Eric Draven storyline at all then.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
This movie definitely doesn't look like it's for me, but I'm sure there are legions of moody, melodramatic 15-year olds out there now who'll glom onto it the way we did with the original when we were moody, melodramatic 15-year olds.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Comfortador posted:

edit: If there's no "Caw! Caw!, Bang gently caress I'm Dead!" it's a 100% no go.
"Move and you're dead!"
"I'm dead and I move."

Is a cool line too.

Sentinel Red posted:

I am not anti-tattoo but I am anti-poo poo tattoo and that dude is just a walking scrapbook of random, artless trash so I will not be sanctioning this buffoonery.

:hmmyes:

Especially gross face tattoos and things that normalize them.

Also at 2:40 Skarsgaard seems to channel Brandon Lee's performance in facial expression and line reading.

deoju fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 14, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Phylodox posted:

This movie definitely doesn't look like it's for me, but I'm sure there are legions of moody, melodramatic 15-year olds out there now who'll glom onto it the way we did with the original when we were moody, melodramatic 15-year olds.

I wasn't quite old enough and moody enough when the original came out, that's why I have no particular attachment to it. But on the outside looking in yeah, this looks like basically the same thing as then but maybe for the audience that is that age now. So for that purpose it might be good. The demo missed me again on this one.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The kids today have tattoos like Bill. It seems to be a natural evolution in what people look like since 1994.

Reminder to everyone here including myself, it’s time to take your Metamucil

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

X-O posted:

I wasn't quite old enough and moody enough when the original came out, that's why I have no particular attachment to it. But on the outside looking in yeah, this looks like basically the same thing as then but maybe for the audience that is that age now. So for that purpose it might be good. The demo missed me again on this one.

I was but it never did a whole lot for me, my long distant memories was thinking it was kinda boring because while it had stylish parts there simply wasn't enough to carry a fairly bland movie. This looks worse because at this point those stylish things have been done enough, we have plenty of movies that are willing to go a lot further than this appears to, and frankly I can't figure out what the tension is supposed to be when the trailer just looks like God Mode has been turned on. Oh no he's being shot/stabbed/etc but it's not slowing him down at all.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Joe Fisto posted:

The kids today have tattoos like Bill. It seems to be a natural evolution in what people look like since 1994.

Reminder to everyone here including myself, it’s time to take your Metamucil

i drink mine before bed so I have a good poop in the morning.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

The movie would be a helluva more interesting if they renamed it BAD TATOO-MAN and it's about all the lovely inkers that took advantage of him getting wasted

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

THESE CHINESE CHARACTERS MEAN POO *bang*

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Forbes says that Eternals 2 is cancelled and they have decided to not make any more sequels for Captain Marvel or Ant-Man (which, unlike Eternals 2, were never in any form of development).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/03/14/mcu-report-no-eternals-2-captain-marvel-3-ant-man-4-as-disney-gets-risk-averse/amp/

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

deoju posted:

"Move and you're dead!"
"I'm dead and I move."

Is a cool line too.

:hmmyes:

Thats the other one I was thinking of exactly, so confirmed. :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Forbes says that Eternals 2 is cancelled and they have decided to not make any more sequels for Captain Marvel or Ant-Man (which, unlike Eternals 2, were never in any form of development).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/03/14/mcu-report-no-eternals-2-captain-marvel-3-ant-man-4-as-disney-gets-risk-averse/amp/
"Forbes" is not saying this. @DanielRPK on Twitter is saying this and some Forbes/sites writer decided to turn this into a clickbait post

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
As someone with no tattoos I tend to be reluctant to poo poo on them, even when they're obviously and comically bad

Fortunately there is no shortage of people with taste who have ink around to mock the likes of Cody Rhodes, new Crow, and Leto Joker

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Endless Mike posted:

"Forbes" is not saying this. @DanielRPK on Twitter is saying this and some Forbes/sites writer decided to turn this into a clickbait post

Yeah, it is the same source as the Eternals news.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Joe Fisto posted:

I mean...I feel like the kids today want to have tattoos like Bill the same way we wanted to wear a leather duster to school like Brandon, but very few of us actually did because on some level we were self-aware enough to know that you can't really pull that look off in day-to-day life.

But, like, every teenager's going to go out for Halloween dressed as Bill this year.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Eternals 2 getting cancelled isn't exactly shocking

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I don't need or even really want an Eternals 2 at this point in time. I'd rather just have those characters incorporated into a story featuring other Marvel characters.

Like, we last see a Celestial holding some of the Eternals and looking to review and pass judgement on Earth. So you could have a logical progression of them breaking free and looking to round up heroes to fight against the Celestials to save Earth. Maybe tie it into the other group meeting Star Fox, and they go to other worlds and bring in more heroes. It basically sets itself up for an Infinity War-style gathering for a big battle against space giants.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Comfortador posted:

Thats the other one I was thinking of exactly, so confirmed. :)

I always liked "Victims. Aren't we all?" before he stabs Tintin.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Phylodox posted:

But, like, every teenager's going to go out for Halloween dressed as Bill this year.

I wouldn’t be mad at that. I’m looking forward to the movie.

(Also I really meant people in their 20s when I said kids because I am old)

Opopanax posted:

Eternals 2 getting cancelled isn't exactly shocking

Learning that a sequel was in development is honestly more shocking.

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
There are so many unsold Eternals toys you could probably melt them down and make a life-size Celestial to stick in the ocean.