Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Even though I was probably also playing Quake at an unstable 25-30fps when it came out, I also remember not even being able to look at my desktop for extended periods when the refresh rate was set to 60Hz because the noticeable strobing would give me a headache. Setting it to 75Hz or 85Hz (at a lower resolution than the max supported) would make my eyes physically feel like they were relaxing.

Also I wouldn't use what performance early 3D gamers would tolerate as a yardstick for acceptability. I watched my friend play GTA 3 at probably 1 frame per second and I'm pretty sure he got through the whole game that way. Even in 2002 I was baffled at how he was putting up with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

The whole reason consumer 3D accelerators are a thing is because the Voodoo enabled playing those games specifically at higher framerates.

Yeah that’s a bit of Swiss cheese brain. Even console games were commonly 60 FPS in the early days, but 3D was such a leap forward it was impressive even when it ran like dogshit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I know that 60 is better than 30, and 120+ even moreso, but I'm not ride-or-die for better-than-30, and I daresay that what's really important is hitting a locked 30

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

30fps is tolerable under certain circumstances, but it's never better than anything higher than that. Mouselook at low framerates feels kinda lovely too.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arivia posted:

yeah but that doesn't stop (some) millennials from having brain worms that 12fps is fine, since that's what games looked like in our childhood

Star Fox runs fine! It's modern TVs making it look bad! CRTs ran it perfectly fine! It's perfectly playable on the SNES! :smith:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

tracecomplete posted:

Modern mini-LED displays (so not Samsung's older QLED stuff, though I haven't tried their newer TVs) are as good or better at rendering contrast ranges as OLED. I like my LG OLED TV just fine and the color reproduction might be a touch better, but like, Apple didn't move to mini-LED instead of OLED because they wanted "good enough".

The rumor mill says that they’re moving iPad Pro to OLED in the next month or so, which is good because even with the gazillion dimming zones, the light bleed is pretty noticeable (dark mode and a mouse is a recipe for a glowy box surrounding your cursor). I think the issues preventing them from going with OLED previously were cost and yield.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

tracecomplete posted:

Modern mini-LED displays (so not Samsung's older QLED stuff, though I haven't tried their newer TVs) are as good or better at rendering contrast ranges as OLED. I like my LG OLED TV just fine and the color reproduction might be a touch better, but like, Apple didn't move to mini-LED instead of OLED because they wanted "good enough".
It's not really possible to be better than OLED at contrast given that the black pixels are emitting literally zero light. OLED's main weaknesses (other than burn-in potential which is real, but often overemphasized) are the lack of brightness compared to other tech (which is improving) and the cost.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

FuturePastNow posted:

We were playing Quake and Quake II at 25 fps when I was a kid and it was fine

Same but Ultima IX: Ascension at about 5-10 fps average. You gotta just believe.

That said, high FPS, 4k, OLED, HDR etc are all nice.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Volte posted:

Even though I was probably also playing Quake at an unstable 25-30fps when it came out, I also remember not even being able to look at my desktop for extended periods when the refresh rate was set to 60Hz because the noticeable strobing would give me a headache. Setting it to 75Hz or 85Hz (at a lower resolution than the max supported) would make my eyes physically feel like they were relaxing.

Also I wouldn't use what performance early 3D gamers would tolerate as a yardstick for acceptability. I watched my friend play GTA 3 at probably 1 frame per second and I'm pretty sure he got through the whole game that way. Even in 2002 I was baffled at how he was putting up with it.

For a very long time I assumed that video games gave me headaches.

Turns out, no, it’s just the Nintendo 64 and the Pentium III we had at the time were just running everything at 20fps or less, which never fails to give me a nasty headache after about thirty minutes.

I got my hands on other gaming devices and 30fps was bliss in comparison. 60fps still feels like first class luxury.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Between the wildly inconsistent framerate and weird pseudo-motion-blur, even on a CRT the original PS2 release of Shadow of the Colossus is still the only non-VR game to give me motion sickness. It was like a full console generation ahead of its time.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

When I got my first OLED (LG C9), I was shocked at how good the picture was. I hadn't seen a picture with dark scenes that dark since I got rid of my Sony 30XS955 CRT. I've since replaced my primary gaming TV with a LG CX and my desktop monitors with a LG 45GR95QE-B. It's not gaming unless I'm searing my eyes out with HDR at 120+ fps anymore.

Especially with emulators these days; an emulator that can run games in HDR with slang shaders (My preference is the Sonkun presets) can get retro games looking like they're running on a CRT, complete with dot crawl and phosphor trails. It's the wild west out there and oleds are making things we used to think impossible possible.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Blue Moonlight posted:

The rumor mill says that they’re moving iPad Pro to OLED in the next month or so, which is good because even with the gazillion dimming zones, the light bleed is pretty noticeable (dark mode and a mouse is a recipe for a glowy box surrounding your cursor). I think the issues preventing them from going with OLED previously were cost and yield.

I'd heard that, though I haven't used an iPad Pro (mere Air plebe) to speak to it. Local dimming is really good in my M1 Max MBP though, I genuinely don't notice the difference. Going from that to my (nice but IPS) desktop monitors really sucks sometimes.

Volte posted:

It's not really possible to be better than OLED at contrast given that the black pixels are emitting literally zero light. OLED's main weaknesses (other than burn-in potential which is real, but often overemphasized) are the lack of brightness compared to other tech (which is improving) and the cost.

Sorry right, that's what I mean - mini-LED's higher brightness gives you more contrast headroom on the high end.

OLED is improving, too, of course, and I don't mean to suggest there's a problem with them. IMO modern display technology is approaching "roughly interchangeable, modulo display size" in ways that make it a bit navel-gazey.

Now I do want a new TV though. I bought the last LG OLED model before HFR, so on the TV I still play at 60Hz while my desktop downstairs is approximately a billion.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

I have an ipad pro with the mini LED screen and the bloom is ungodly distracting. I don't know how anyone tolerates it, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

evobatman posted:

One of the most hilarious things I've seen is turning on smoothing on Star Wars ep IV on my TV, and watching it go from cinematic masterpiece into a Doctor Who VHS.

I want to try that with something like Seven Samurai, now that you mention it.

Also, if your copy of Star Wars includes multiple languages/subtitles, I tried a short bit of it some years ago with subtitles only and just the soundtrack, and it worked very well.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I went to goodwill and found a 4k Dell monitor with HDR (its probably one of those with like HDR 400 at best or something) for $50, but even that level of HDR is wildly good. Im in awe how nice things look compared to my Dell S2716DG at home. I took the goodwill panel to work and use it at the office since I do benefit from as much screen real estate as possible, and my gaming PC at home is best suited for 1440p high refresh anyway. 4k would make my 7900XT feel instantly ancient.

While the $50 panel was a bargain, I think its one of those things that is gonna be stealthily expensive because now i really want an OLED 1440p 144hz monitor for home but those are like 800-1000 still i think. Hoo boy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shipon posted:

I have an ipad pro with the mini LED screen and the bloom is ungodly distracting. I don't know how anyone tolerates it, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Seconding this. I hadn’t really experienced bloom like that before, I thought my screen was genuinely hosed up somehow.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Radia posted:

my monitors are 1440p with HDR and are OLED, you dont have to go all the way up to 4k
My gaming computer is spec’d for playing at 1080p with supersampling, so it’d still require replacing more hardware than the monitor.
The thing that makes the most difference to me, in terms of what I notice the most, is a smooth high (+120) fps.

I’d also have to watch everything on a computer monitor, instead of using my TV.

EDIT: And it's still considered a premium product, which means I'll be paying an early adopter fee, on top of the high prices in Denmark already.

beep by grandpa posted:

If you don't understand the appeal of OLED after setting it in person you prob got all the MotionPlus modes still turned on back at home too
Savage, but true.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 13, 2024

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
OLED is alright, anybody breathlessly tripping over their dick to tell you it's significantly better than a decent mini LED panel is dumb as gently caress though. I have a 4K OLED for work and a Sony X95K TV and I'll be hosed if the difference is noticeable unless you're really trying to look for it, in which case you're not paying attention to what you're watching.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

buglord posted:

I went to goodwill and found a 4k Dell monitor with HDR (its probably one of those with like HDR 400 at best or something) for $50, but even that level of HDR is wildly good. Im in awe how nice things look compared to my Dell S2716DG at home. I took the goodwill panel to work and use it at the office since I do benefit from as much screen real estate as possible, and my gaming PC at home is best suited for 1440p high refresh anyway. 4k would make my 7900XT feel instantly ancient.

While the $50 panel was a bargain, I think its one of those things that is gonna be stealthily expensive because now i really want an OLED 1440p 144hz monitor for home but those are like 800-1000 still i think. Hoo boy.

TBH anything will feel like a massive step up from that thing. I had the 24" version which is supposedly better looking and was amazed how bad its colors looked compared to even $300 laptops. Response time and lack of blurring was really good at the time though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The HDR of my current monitor definitely felt like a step up.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Serperoth posted:

I want to try that with something like Seven Samurai, now that you mention it.

Also, if your copy of Star Wars includes multiple languages/subtitles, I tried a short bit of it some years ago with subtitles only and just the soundtrack, and it worked very well.

Ah yes, the Tron: Legacy method of watching. Without subtitles.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Qrs_J-NmY

Honestly, I'm game for the back-of-board connectors if only for the ergonomics. Trying to plug in fan headers and power cables with a huge heatsink in the way is and always will be a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Honestly, I'm game for the back-of-board connectors if only for the ergonomics. Trying to plug in fan headers and power cables with a huge heatsink in the way is and always will be a gigantic pain in the rear end.

drat, surprised this hasn't been out for a while now. Pretty expensive - $399 CAD.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

A shame that cable cover/GPU support block doesn't come with the case, also :laffo: at the rats nest it hides in the back, manufacturer should at least pony up for all the ties and clips you'll need to make that poo poo organized. And maybe even supply right angled connector heads to make sure the cables can be flush. Neat concept that I hope becomes way more normalized, but you can tell where they skimped.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I haven't watched any Linus videos on the last few months. Where'd this title come from?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Whitest Russian posted:

I haven't watched any Linus videos on the last few months. Where'd this title come from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGW3TPytTjc

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I went from watching a lot of linus' videos thruout the week ever since 2019 to stopping completely cold turkey when the Madison tweets came out :thumbsup:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to put Linus videos on as brainless background fodder but it’s been increasingly clear he has Small Business Tyrant brain

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Oh, it's still from that? I thought he did something else.

beep by grandpa posted:

I went from watching a lot of linus' videos thruout the week ever since 2019 to stopping completely cold turkey when the Madison tweets came out :thumbsup:

Same, it was nice as background and entertaining at times but :shrug:

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
Same, the last LTT video I watched was their "apology" and I used to watch every single video. I miss having some fun nerdy videos on in the background and I haven't found anything that quite fills the niche.

MKBHD is just gadgets and a little too sterile. Waveform is boring. No hot takes.

I've been watching Digital Trends a lot more, I quite enjoy Caleb's in depth television discussions.

I tried watching more Gamers Nexus but if I'm not actively in the market for a product, it's just too graph focused.

Mr Mobile is always a delight, but again only does gadgets and not serious hardware discussion.

Snazzy is pretty good. I think I was turned off by the Mac fanboyism at first, but I've come around to his style.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve completely cut him out so none of his garbage even shows up in my feed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
All my YouTube feed is helldivers 2 stuff and I support this for democracy

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

priznat posted:

All my YouTube feed is helldivers 2 stuff and I support this for democracy

viewership guarantees citizenship

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
YouTube tries to regularly shuffle something LTT into my feed, but I keep hitting Don’t Recommend.

That said, I’m interested in a proper conclusion of the previous drama. Because schadenfreude.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

TheOneVader posted:

Same, the last LTT video I watched was their "apology" and I used to watch every single video. I miss having some fun nerdy videos on in the background and I haven't found anything that quite fills the niche.

MKBHD is just gadgets and a little too sterile. Waveform is boring. No hot takes.

I've been watching Digital Trends a lot more, I quite enjoy Caleb's in depth television discussions.

I tried watching more Gamers Nexus but if I'm not actively in the market for a product, it's just too graph focused.

Mr Mobile is always a delight, but again only does gadgets and not serious hardware discussion.

Snazzy is pretty good. I think I was turned off by the Mac fanboyism at first, but I've come around to his style.

Just read a book

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

hifi posted:

Just read a book

Listen here, pal...

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

TheOneVader posted:

Listen here, pal...

I watch nerds on YouTube for a reason

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023
Turn on your monitor (im sorry I had to)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
wait is linus a sexpest or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

tokin opposition posted:

wait is linus a sexpest or something?

no, but ltt basically stole a company's prototype hardware and sold it

e: actually one of the employees is a sexpest, but i dont remember if madison actually said who it was