Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

explosivo posted:

The little flaps that are extended up at an angle coming out of the chute are heavy armored, so if you hit those dead in the middle it deflects the shot straight down into the chute. Basically bank it in off the backboard. Once you figure it out you really can't miss as long as you're at a good angle.

fwiw I never had this work once

The open door works with grenades at least. I'm honestly not sure if it works with AC shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

AC destroying bot fabricators is a neat trick but the limited angles that it works from means it really doesn’t matter much of the time unless you’re out of grenades and/or didn’t bring any strats that can destroy them

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Darox posted:

AC destroying bot fabricators is a neat trick but the limited angles that it works from means it really doesn’t matter much of the time unless you’re out of grenades and/or didn’t bring any strats that can destroy them

The amount of times I've been able to close up a factory from 100-200m away while passing by makes it better than a simple trick imo. Once you get a hang of it you can hit them reliably as long as you're in the front of the factory and blow them up safely from way farther away than you can with strategems or grenades.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Do stun grenades or for that matter smoke still close bug holes?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Rocket bots should all be grenade bots instead. Imagine the panic when a flurry of grenades from a devastator flies through the air and drops all around you beeping for a couple of seconds before exploding, as opposed to the "welp guess I just died" instagib that rockets tend to do if you're not glued to the shield pack.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

sushibandit posted:

Rocket bots should all be grenade bots instead. Imagine the panic when a flurry of grenades from a devastator flies through the air and drops all around you beeping for a couple of seconds before exploding, as opposed to the "welp guess I just died" instagib that rockets tend to do if you're not glued to the shield pack.

Something like that or they need a more noticeable tell so even if you die you have a better idea of where the heck it was.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That might actually be worse than rockets since at least they need LOS.

It's kind of a mercy bots don't throw grenades more often than they do.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Darox posted:

You can skip ac rounds into the fabricator vent from a kilometer out though, which is unique to it and the EAT/RR. Especially for the light and medium outposts that only have one fabricator, being able to clear it from extreme range and vanish into the ether can be a huge boon.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Darox posted:

Honestly the angles are pretty forgiving if you're going for the flap-ricochet on the fabs and you can do it from 100m+ away.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

They should make the bile mortar bugs into glowy loud plasma mortar bugs

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I just don’t think blowing up a fabricator from miles away matters most of the time except during blitz missions.
Being able to go prone and quickly three-tap a cannon turret that’s turned around ~200m away is incredible though.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Chillgamesh posted:

They should make the bile mortar bugs into glowy loud plasma mortar bugs

look posters complain about regular mortars and not seeing them before you get gibbed so yes we should definitely add more death from the sky mechanics

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

sushibandit posted:

Armor with the 50% reduced explosion damage trait works too. Even the light at or can tank a rocket and be ragdolled and left with 20% life or so.

It's why I run I, plus it makes me a lot more likely to survive a teammate loving up something explosive.

Edit: also seems to help with mortar bugs.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

Do stun grenades or for that matter smoke still close bug holes?

Neither of them close bug holes or blow up bot fabricators

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Gorelab posted:

Something like that or they need a more noticeable tell so even if you die you have a better idea of where the heck it was.
A laser sight on rocket bots that lights you up for a second so you notice before they fire would also work yeah. The only real danger from rockets is if you don't notice them / they shoot you from behind.

theysayheygreg posted:

look posters complain about regular mortars and not seeing them before you get gibbed so yes we should definitely add more death from the sky mechanics
A giant glowing "this is death" ball slowly flying through the air is much more noticeable than nearly invisible nearly vertical mortar sentry trails. Think the Wraith's main gun from Halo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS11s0t-MlI&t=8s

BitBasher posted:

Armor with the 50% reduced explosion damage trait works too. Even the light at or can tank a rocket and be ragdolled and left with 20% life or so.
Unfortunately that would require either giving up +2 grenades and better crouching accuracy (on medium/heavy) or better stealth and infinite radar (on light) which are pretty much welded to my helldiver at this point.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

theysayheygreg posted:

I am specifically talking about turning the lime green booger mortars into loud and more visible plasma mortars

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Giving rocket bots an aiming laser to tip you off is a great idea

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Giving rocket bots an aiming laser to tip you off is a great idea

This has been directly shot down by the CEO as a stupid idea.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That son of a bitch..........

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Looks like I had to fork over another 15 bucks to democracy to unlock the Cutting Edge equipment.

I can see this becoming a trend where eventually I'll have paid for the game a few times over and ya know what? I think I'm ok with it.

Liberty isn't free, it costs folks like you and me.

Ya, I like the devs and there is still ways to get super credits in game. The other thing is that this is a pve game and you can pick up your teammates weapons anyway so its not too bad.

I got the new laser AR, it's pretty good. Probably the best AR now in the game for a primary, the only thing is getting used to the heat since I haven't played with any laser weapons up until now.

Also is bile titans headshot with EAT one kill always or just sometimes?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

causticBeet posted:

Sure, but if they continue to release these roughly once a month you probably end up having to spend $$ to get to play with the new toys, which kinda sucks in a game where there are like… 3 usable primaries and 1 usable secondary.

afaik they haven't fixed the exploit where you can just farm tons of supercredits in trivial difficulty. I did that for this warbond a week ago or so and got 400 sc in like 20 minutes

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Tibbeh posted:

Neither of them close bug holes or blow up bot fabricators

That makes sense. I was mildly hopeful that the game just check "grenade has entered?" Instead of the type.

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

sushibandit posted:

Unfortunately that would require either giving up +2 grenades and better crouching accuracy (on medium/heavy) or better stealth and infinite radar (on light) which are pretty much welded to my helldiver at this point.

I feel this way about the 30% throw distance increase armor. Gotten so bad that when I swapped to something else for a few missions, throwing things just felt wrong.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Swapping in and out of that armor has caused me some Problems re: where the explosions end up

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Durzel posted:

Seems like a really niche armour modification. It doesn't even reduce the damage to the point where it feels like could be a strategy, I mean it reduces it by 95% but if its instakill++ damage then you might still be taking big chunks of health off. Pretty sure I saw a video recently showcasing it where the guy was still dead from a Tesla tower in about 5 hits.

The Tesla tower doesn't target you if you're prone, though it can still hit you're in front of or behind it's target. The armor will make that not kill you when it inevitably happens. Also, it's a defense against your Arc-Thrower loving friend who can't see name tags for some reason.

turn off the TV posted:

why does the continuous beam laser AR exist now that there is an alternative version that's effectively a straight upgrade across the board

My wishful thinking is that new enemies might have parts with a weakness towards Beam-tagged weapons. Maybe they'll rip open Illuminate shields (I don't know, I didn't play HD1).

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I honestly feel like the Dominator is the better version of the Slugger for Terminids. :colbert:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ive had 2/3 games crash on me so far. all were using the sickle so maybe thats the problem but its definitely worse than it was before

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

afaik they haven't fixed the exploit where you can just farm tons of supercredits in trivial difficulty. I did that for this warbond a week ago or so and got 400 sc in like 20 minutes

is that just running around a map on 1 difficulty?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Chocobo posted:

I honestly feel like the Dominator is the better version of the Slugger for Terminids. :colbert:

Why? Afaik, the slugger is better than the dominator in every aspect.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

tofes posted:

is that just running around a map on 1 difficulty?

Nah, you get a map with a good seed that has super credits, then something with disconnecting to reset it to get them again.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I haven't tried farming but I have noticed that if I get disconnected while playing solo and then load the mission up again, the map seems to be the same, so that makes sense

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
I started using the slugger and I can't stop. Popping off heads on medium sized enemies in one hit is just too satisfying. If you're quick enough and your positioning is good you can still deal with hordes fast enough that the single shot nature isn't a problem.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

johnny park posted:

I haven't tried farming but I have noticed that if I get disconnected while playing solo and then load the mission up again, the map seems to be the same, so that makes sense

Yea this is it, you find a map with some nice SC amounts, deploy -> collect -> alt-F4 -> deploy -> collect -> alt - f4

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Nah, you get a map with a good seed that has super credits, then something with disconnecting to reset it to get them again.

Yeah, you just find a trivial that has a nice grouping of sc or medals spawn together and f4 the game, then drop back in the same map near the pickups.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Jerkface posted:

Yea this is it, you find a map with some nice SC amounts, deploy -> collect -> alt-F4 -> deploy -> collect -> alt - f4
Huh, I assumed you only actually gain resource pickups when the mission finishes.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sindai posted:

Huh, I assumed you only actually gain resource pickups when the mission finishes.

super credits are applied to your account as soon as they're picked up

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

How often do premium warbonds release? I could farm them but I'm having flashbacks of the TF2 Halo Incident. I could excuse the :10bux: if I have 3 options to ponder.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some games are smart enough to know to kill the player if he gets too out of bounds because some bug. HD2 is not one of those games...

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Ciaphas posted:

i can upgrade to deluxe to unlock the original premium warbond and get 1000sc to boot, right? or did i have to buy deluxe when I first got the game

Description says it unlocks Steeled Veterans in addition to the other goodies. No 1000 SC. What I have heard is if people buy the super citizen edition upgrade and already have steeled veterans before doing so, then they get nothing. So people have contacted customer support and they will give them 1000sc (the cost of steeled veterans). Or so I've heard. You might be waiting for a while though due to all the other issues support is dealing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

PantsBandit posted:

Am I missing something or are bots just WAY harder than bugs? I'm level 16 and able to do bug missions on extreme with a full squad, but a comparable bot mission on challenging is a total poo poo-show from the moment boots hit the ground.

Bots require a different mindset/approach than the bugs, and they probably feel harder at first because they do have some bullshit ways to kill you at range that take some getting used to.

They have three distinct disadvantages that make them a fair bit easier to exploit than bugs, namely:
1. Most bots - including their heavy hitters, the Hulk and the Tank - are slower than you, so you have a much easier time running away tactically retreating from them.
2. Bots really like to stand clustered together, which makes landing Eagle runs/accurate orbital weapons (e.g., EMP, Gas Strike) very easy.
3. Only their basic line infantry can shoot flares to summon dropships (as opposed to bugs where anything short of a Charger/Bile Titan can seemingly summon a breach). They also have a very obvious tell for when this is about to happen - their eyes flash, and they slowly reach one arm up to the sky to fire off a flare. This makes it a lot easier to eliminate a patrol before they can call in for backup.

Hit and run is a super-effective strategy for managing bot objectives/outposts. Most of them can be solo'd by quite a few stratagems, in particular the 380mm Barrage and the Orbital Laser - the only amount of time it takes is for you to toss in a beacon, then you can run away before the bots can even respond while the stratagem does the work. Bug nests are comparatively much trickier since there are a ton of holes and very few stratagems are reliable at hitting them all, so you pretty much always need to go in somewhat to close holes manually when fighting bugs.

Also, the bots' primary threats don't come from their heavy hitters (e.g., the Tank and the Hulk) - they come from their medium-armored infantry, the Devastators (all varieties are deadly for various reasons). Managing Hulks just takes one competent person armed with a Railgun or Autocannon - one unsafe charged railgun shot to the glowing red eye that screams "Shoot me!" is enough to kill it. It takes two Autocannon shots in the same spot to do the same. Also, you can render a Hulk harmless by shooting its arms off with the Autocannon.

Tanks are fairly easy to mitigate compared to Bile Titans, and they generally don't spawn in great enough numbers/frequency that 1-2 Divers with Orbital Railcannons can't manage. Barring that, tanks are also super easy to hit with the 500kg and especially the Eagle Rocket Pods. Tanks are not something you want to stay active for long, though - those cannons will one-shot you, and the AA variant with a bunch of machine guns with shred through you in no time. The Autocannon is very good at managing Tanks (as well as any Cannon emplacements) in a pinch - just sneak around behind them (it's easier than you think unless they're already focused on you) and place three shots in the radiator at the back of the tank - it doesn't take a ton of time and it will blow up real good.

As stated earlier, the real threat are Devastators. While they can all be taken down in a single Slugger/Railgun shot to the head, it's hard to be that accurate when they and a bunch of other bots are firing at you. 2-3 shots with the Autocannon pretty much anywhere on them will kill them as well, and is honestly not a bad strategy because the Autocannon will also make them flinch when it hits and it doesn't need to be precise.

Rocket Devastators are the most threatening, as they fire a cluster of rockets at you and it usually only takes one to kill you (they are also suspiciously good at predicting your trajectory). Next are Heavy Devastators, who possess the combination of huge shield what blocks all your shots and a minigun that is really good at hitting you a bunch of times while you're trying to aim so the resulting flinch makes you miss them when you need to be precise. Finally, while basic Devastators don't have as high bullshit potential as the other two they are also giant bags of HP if you're not hitting them in the head and will kill you quite fast if you don't show them respect.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 14, 2024