Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The pitch for Humanis Policlub, Shadowrun's equivalent of the KKK, is that all races must band together to kill the orks and trolls and elves and dwarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
well, they have different stat bonuses

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I suppose it gives me, local herbivore, another reason to prefer Cyberpunk over Shadowrun. It does seem to just import the assumptions of D&D into a vaguely-credible cyberpunk setting (or milieu if you prefer). It doesn't seem to say anything different, it just slaps a skin over the same ol' D&D poo poo (if, hilariously, retaining Cyberpunk's rocket tag dynamics).

I would have to see if I can find the book or get a PDF, but I recall even GURPS Cthulhupunk addressed this topic more clearly if in less ringing terms than the opening of Scion's Mythos book. 'Lovecraft was very racist, and we have opted to ignore this to the greatest extent possible.'

Of course, GURPS has its own ability score breakdown issues, but ST/DX/IQ/HT was at least meaningfully different, as was the granularity of how you could stack up your reaction roll modifiers!

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Nessus posted:

I suppose it gives me, local herbivore, another reason to prefer Cyberpunk over Shadowrun. It does seem to just import the assumptions of D&D into a vaguely-credible cyberpunk setting (or milieu if you prefer). It doesn't seem to say anything different, it just slaps a skin over the same ol' D&D poo poo (if, hilariously, retaining Cyberpunk's rocket tag dynamics).

It can be very much “you enter a 10’ x 10’ office room, an ork is guarding a workstation”, yes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Parkreiner posted:

It can be very much “you enter a 10’ x 10’ office room, an ork is guarding a workstation”, yes.
I draw my monomolecular longsword and hew the ork! What treasures does the workstation contain...

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm pretty sure the obvious read was "there's no difference between races, as in real world races, but there is a difference between the metatypes", which is still not any better given how racially coded the metatypes get. But it's a hell of a lot better of a reading than you going out of your way and twisting words to portray hyphz as a racist, dude.

A major theme of the earlier books were ethnicities forming around the newly emerged metahumans and how they interacted with each other (not well, this IS a dystopia). The earlier editions had some pretty good writing in that regard. Once Catalyst Game Labs got ahold of it... Hoo-boy. If it's any compensation, the writers of "The Complete Trog" didn't get paid what they were owed, because Catalyst Game Labs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's not giving Shadowrun credit for how weird it is. The age of magick kicks off with Native Americans seceding from the US and defeating the government by doing a Great Ghost Dance to make volcanoes erupt. Mexico is run by wannabe Aztec necromancers. There's a Neo-Confederacy stretching from Virginia to Florida to Texas. Oregon is ruled by elf ren-faire nerds. Metatypes simply existing is the least problematic thing going on.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Q: has anyone written an essay about how roleplaying games, where rules like attributes break down under scrutiny, really parallel the real world, where simple rules about like biology and physics have all sorts of complications and edge cases? Feels like an area where someone way smarter than me has written something good.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

That's not giving Shadowrun credit for how weird it is.

Everything with Bug City, Chicago Containment Zone, and the Universal Brotherhood always seemed super cool to me.

I also really liked the variety you'd get with HMHVV so there were all these different varieties of vampires. Like how dwarves became goblins in 4e who were immune to fire and fed on bones if I recall correctly.

There is a ton of cool stuff throughout Shadowrun even if there is also a bunch of dumb stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

I've seen well-considered systems that had more than the classic 6 (splitting up DEX is popular) and fewer (combining STR and CON is popular) but never that exact 6.

I don't like BRP's SIZ either. It just feels weird and then plays into a bunch of derived calculations. I feel like dealing with very large and small monsters is better handled with something like D6's Scale stat if it's needed at all.
Much more than 6 starts edging into ability scores as skills territory IMO.

I prefer Size as a few discrete tags rather than a dedicated scale personally. "Being huge" or "being short" falling under the same category as "can fly" allows for a lot more flexibility and means you can relatively easily differentiate between "This Giant is Large" vs "This Giant Centipede is Long"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nessus posted:

I draw my monomolecular longsword and hew the ork! What treasures does the workstation contain...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj5HdGjvXcE

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

ohhyeah posted:

Q: has anyone written an essay about how roleplaying games, where rules like attributes break down under scrutiny, really parallel the real world, where simple rules about like biology and physics have all sorts of complications and edge cases? Feels like an area where someone way smarter than me has written something good.

I think this is the other reason to remove this stuff from character generation. Even if we say that trolls are a completely different species, and it is objectively true that on average they’re not so smart, that’s not to say that YOUR troll can’t be the one-in-a-million genius. PCs are meant to stand out, after all. I think PF2e’s remaster got this right by making the ancestry modifiers optional.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

LeisureSuit Canary posted:

There is a ton of cool stuff throughout Shadowrun even if there is also a bunch of dumb stuff.

like the rules in the later editions :awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_szmwfkvqRk

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Parkreiner posted:

I assume he’s not considering them “races” in that Goblinization meant you could have Black trolls and Caucasian trolls, etc, but in practice they are very much treated as ethnic/cultural groups. The child of a troll is also a troll. I don’t think Goblinization even happens after the initial return of magic.

(actually, I don’t recall Shadowrun ever commented on multi-metaethnic characters, which is probably for the best)

Didn’t it comment on this via Earthdawn before the great separation of IPs?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

The Deleter posted:

Because I sure hope you don't mean "it's okay to describe these fictional races as culturally or genetically stupider because we used a different word instead of race" and I'm missing some facetiousness in your text or something

Is it your position that all fictional creatures must be exactly as intelligent as one another, and anything else is a moral failing on someone's part?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Splicer posted:

They can't just have a strength bonus for being a troll because mental stats exist, so there's an implicit assumption that if they get +2 strength someone else may get +2 int, which is just trolls getting -2 int with extra steps.

[...]
Because str and int are both innocuous looking numbers written down in the same list +2 str for being an X strongly implies that someone somewhere can take +2 int for being something other than an X - which is part of the real motivation behind "Black people are just naturally athletically gifted".

I agree for the most part. But it's also true that you could just not do that. You could have trolls be bigger and therefore stronger but not necessarily more athletic, and then just not have a species that is more intelligent.

Intelligence has its own issues which is that unlike strength, which is basically a real thing that D&D implements badly, intelligence isn't even real- at least not the way D&D thinks it is. Which sort of gets to Kestral's question... in what way would the fantasy creature be more or less intelligent and how would that manifest? In the real world, are orcas more or less intelligent than us and how can we tell for sure? (Answer: we don't know for sure and don't even know how to find out. All we have are suspicions and suppositions.)

An "education" stat would functionally be closer to the way D&D actually works. Being broadly educated makes further education easier. Just like practicing a broad range of athletic skills makes learning new athletic skills easier. I'm absolutely a DTAS diehard, at least in the context of D&D, but if you were going to have a set of broad things that act as the roots for specific skills, I think that Education, Athleticism, and something like Sociability would be a good starting point: they are traits that people genuinely can have; they are derived from practicing specific skills and spending time in that area; they make it easier to learn similar new skills; they improve performance on tasks the possessor has never tried before.

But they are manifestly acquired traits. Calling it education instead of intelligence makes that crystal clear. It would be obviously stupid to say that an elf is born with more education than a troll.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Human intelligence is an infinitely complex thing and pretty much any system is going to have trouble matching the depth of it, but i don't think that's a reason not to really try.

(Traveller, for what it's worth has both Education and Intelligence, and they're both really useful.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
"Intelligence" stats are particularly fraught, because as far as I know, nobody has tried to justify genocide with "they're all clumsy."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Halloween Jack posted:

"Intelligence" stats are particularly fraught, because as far as I know, nobody has tried to justify genocide with "they're all clumsy."

And, from the other direction, there's no better way to rationalize being the beneficiary of racism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kestral posted:

Is it your position that all fictional creatures must be exactly as intelligent as one another, and anything else is a moral failing on someone's part?
The question that arises here is: "What is intelligence?" In terms of, what are you modelling?

I would be inclined to say that all organisms who are meant to be human peers do not have different "raw intelligence" values. You could give unique powers to various creature-types, but I'd want to encourage looking closely at them to avoid a case where a particular one gets a value to Agriculture and Peasant-labor, while another gets a bonus to Administration and Moral Superiority. (You would also ideally be giving one to the Humans as well, and equal-in-general to everyone else's.)

If you are writing a very specific fictional setting you can break this rule, but any fictional setting that makes huge statements about different creature-types having different "innate intelligences" is already throwing some red flags on the field.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Like "humans have an innate cleverness advantage" is a lot more problematic than "humans get +1 on long-duration Endurance checks."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Kestral posted:

No and I don't know how you got that from my post but considering your other posts on this topic im not exactly interested in engaging with whatever take you have about orcs having -2 to int or whatever because it probably sucks rear end

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nessus posted:

I would be inclined to say that all organisms who are meant to be human peers do not have different "raw intelligence" values.

One potential issue here is that organisms not originally intended as human peers can become player character options if they’re popular enough and the system/setting gets enough splatbooks.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
You were all groaning at my poo poo earlier but this is why I'm so quick to reference Mao on metaphysical vs. dialectical thinking. A lot of reactionary thought, and bad game design, but I repeat myself, rests on the assumption that a contingent historical accident and/or deliberately-constructed status quo is in fact the organic and inevitable result of eternal cosmic truths. "Well, they're all like that, it's just their nature," is what gives us +2 STR -2 INT.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 14, 2024

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

NEXT-GEN GAME DESIGNER(WOKE): my game's orcs get +4 STR +0 INT 😌

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

One potential issue here is that organisms not originally intended as human peers can become player character options if they’re popular enough and the system/setting gets enough splatbooks.
So? You can just have a note somewhere. 'The generic Zlorg trooper's Smart Guy stat is slightly below average to represent Zlorg's poor educational system. A Zlorgite PC may allocate Smart Guy as is relevant. If a player picks up a Zlorg NPC as a PC, they may adjust stats at the nearest opportunity."

Assuming you have a "smart guy" score at all, which you might not.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I played a dog once.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

I played a dog once.
One exception: Dogs are hardcoded to Good alignment, even if Alignments are not in use.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The campaign used a fan made GURPS module for JoJo's Bizarre Adventures, and It was set by our GM in the middle ages. It was really loving strange.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

The campaign used a fan made GURPS module for JoJo's Bizarre Adventures, and It was set by our GM in the middle ages. It was really loving strange.

So you were Iggy’s ancestor?

Also, do you have a link to the GURPS JoJo rules?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

YggdrasilTM posted:

It should be strange.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Bizzare, even!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

You were all groaning at my poo poo earlier but this is why I'm so quick to reference Mao on metaphysical vs. dialectical thinking. A lot of reactionary thought, and bad game design, but I repeat myself, rests on the assumption that a contingent historical accident and/or deliberately-constructed status quo is in fact the organic and inevitable result of eternal cosmic truths.
STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA, they are all manifestations of liberalism.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

The six olds.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

The Deleter posted:

No and I don't know how you got that from my post but considering your other posts on this topic im not exactly interested in engaging with whatever take you have about orcs having -2 to int or whatever because it probably sucks rear end

Since I’m clearly misunderstanding, would you like to explain your actual position for the class?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Internet is Highlander and when I catch someone doing something bad they go away forever as I absorb all of their power

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

The Internet is Highlander and when I catch someone doing something bad they go away forever as I absorb all of their power
So, Diablerie?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Halloween Jack posted:

Just now occurring to me that Into the Odd uses renames of con, den, and cha specifically because it’s classless, so why would you need the scores that are only for prime requisites?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Deleter posted:

Because I sure hope you don't mean "it's okay to describe these fictional races as culturally or genetically stupider because we used a different word instead of race" and I'm missing some facetiousness in your text or something

Shadowrun is set ostensibly in the real world awakened to magic and there are "races" as we know them and there are "metatypes," as in types of metahuman, which map to classic fantasy races. So it is possible to be a Latina elf, a white orc, a black dwarf, an Asian troll, etc. This is because in Shadowrun's world, people were already categorized into these groups before magic reemerged and changed large swathes of them into different forms.

Though it is also quite possible to have people in D&D whose features map to these combinations, if you play Baldur's Gate 3 for example the real world genetic clades that get mapped to "races" in real life aren't identified as such because presumably Faerun lacks the context that would create such distinctions, and instead uses "race" to refer to what Shadowrun would call metatype.

Runa fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This pretty much just comes down to, have you ever played Shadowrun before.

I've never actually played Shadowrun on tabletop but I've played a ton of the videogames across different generations and I've read Ice Phisherman's Blake Island CYOA/web serial on these forums. It's a good read, though I fell off after he said some things that weirded me out during the height of the pandemic. Stuff has calmed down now but things cannot really be the same after that.