Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

balatro is problematic. won't be expanding on this, thanks

It was rightfully removed by Nintendo for glamorising gambling addiction. And later was wrongfully returned to the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah but I'm curious what I guess was spread around lol cuz I never heard anything 'controversial' other than the one in game billboard ad.

you have to understand some people saw the cdpr twitter account post that single ad and formed their entire opinion for all cotnent in the game off of it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

you have to understand some people saw the cdpr twitter account post that single ad and formed their entire opinion for all cotnent in the game off of it

I stopped reading the thread pre-release because forums favorite CascadeBeta was making GBS threads up the thread harcore about it lol.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Stux posted:

yikes transphobe devs

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Stux posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that one ad was bad and lol at them makign a cis lady cosplaying as it win some pre-release promotional contest but getting worked up about it being the face of transphobia is lame

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

that one ad was bad and lol at them makign a cis lady cosplaying as it win some pre-release promotional contest but getting worked up about it being the face of transphobia is lame

the pre-release thread went places

botany posted:

no, which is why the tweets etc. concern me.

just to be honest and not snarky for a second: my problem isn't that the dumb tweet or the "we're playing a female in this demo" or anything else by itself is incredibly outrageous. i don't think any of these were caused by open malice or hatred. but i'm worried that they were caused by ignorance. i'm worried that the devs, including the head writer, are simply blind to a lot of issues.

W3 was about politics, repression, resistance, race and class. they handled these themes mostly well. but cyberpunk, by necessity, is going to have something to say (whether intentionally or not) about bodies, identity, self-expression and societal reflection of these issues. and the devs seem to be blind to very basic issues, like that "did you just assume my gender?!?!" is a joke at the expense of LGBTQ people. i don't think they wanted to make fun of them, i think they just don't know it when they step into these problems. and that is concerning. i doubt they will handle a trans character gracefully, at least if they don't hire trans writers to write these parts.

i want this game to be good. i very much want that. i want to play it and not have to go "ughhh" because they do something dumb with their writing. but i'm doubtful that'll happen, and that sucks. which is why i'm glad that there is a loud reaction every time they put their foot in their mouths, and i'm glad trans twitter is watching this game like a hawk. because right now it isn't out yet and there's still time to fix problems with the writing that are caused by ignorance rather than malice.

trans issues wrt videos games are a chronic issue, but talking about how the bat-signal has been lit for trans twitter to watch for signs is hilarious

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was looking to see if there were any cool mods for Pacific Drive (more radio songs please) and one of the top guides on Steam is about how to remove the completely optional lgbtq stickers you can put on your car, that the game gives you for free

gamers stay winning

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I used to think that gaben was maybe the one billionaire who was still a relatively normal person, until I saw how excited he was to talk about hacking brains to directly affect mood through an app as if that technology wouldn't have obvious dystopic consequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVu-96J6_I0

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hardcordion posted:

I used to think that gaben was maybe the one billionaire who was still a relatively normal person, until I saw how excited he was to talk about hacking brains to directly affect mood through an app as if that technology wouldn't have obvious dystopic consequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVu-96J6_I0

man half-life 3 is gonna kick rear end

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endorph posted:

that seems the opposite of transphobic because if johnny is the only person in the body then why shouldnt he make it suit his gender identity.

One would think.

And nothing’s stopping you from reading into Johnny changing as a person and not making his new body Keanu 2.0. He starts out as an abusive, toxically masculine voice in your head who also tries to goad you into suicide and keeps making whiny edgelord remarks about everything. And as the game progresses he can make peace and maybe change? Feels like some metaphors at play.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the computer can already be used to improve mood, through the mechanism of reading and writing posts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

the pre-release thread went places

trans issues wrt videos games are a chronic issue, but talking about how the bat-signal has been lit for trans twitter to watch for signs is hilarious
i agree with the first half of this post about the devs mostly being ignorant than anything else and then they talk lovingly of Trans Twitter Watching For Signs and its embarrassing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
the ad in game is completely unremarkable because part of the point of cyberpunk as a setting is stuff like hypersexualization being normalized and its next to ads of the same type of thing for all sorts of other ppl. it would be much more notable and sus if it was completely excluded from the game lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I was looking to see if there were any cool mods for Pacific Drive (more radio songs please) and one of the top guides on Steam is about how to remove the completely optional lgbtq stickers you can put on your car, that the game gives you for free

gamers stay winning

Wasn't there a bunch of drama about a Nexus Oblivion mod that rebuilt Kvatch but also had a bunch of horny stuff in it and the creator melted down when people tried to strip the horny parts out and deleted it? I may be misremembering some of the details.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Stux posted:

the ad in game is completely unremarkable because part of the point of cyberpunk as a setting is stuff like hypersexualization being normalized and its next to ads of the same type of thing for all sorts of other ppl. it would be much more notable and sus if it was completely excluded from the game lol

depiction equals endorsement

explaining equals support

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bicyclops posted:

Wasn't there a bunch of drama about a Nexus Oblivion mod that rebuilt Kvatch but also had a bunch of horny stuff in it and the creator melted down when people tried to strip the horny parts out and deleted it? I may be misremembering some of the details.

I'm sure it's happened multiple times in multiple contexts, but the Really Funny one I remember was the "Skyrim cities with no borders" guy melting down about people making patches to remove the oblivion gates that his mod also put into the cities, because ACCORDING TO LORE CANON the gates never disappeared so it doesn't make sense for them to not be in skyrim in the first place

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
people have taken kink positivity to mean they are allowed to talk about what they jack off to publically and to everyone even if no one wants to hear about it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm sure it's happened multiple times in multiple contexts, but the Really Funny one I remember was the "Skyrim cities with no borders" guy melting down about people making patches to remove the oblivion gates that his mod also put into the cities, because ACCORDING TO LORE CANON the gates never disappeared so it doesn't make sense for them to not be in skyrim in the first place

there is now a version on his page without the gates lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i get what the ad was going for but stuff like the cosplay thing i mentioned feel more like they were going for memorable shock value with that ad specifically. that might be an uncharitable read but thats just how i feel. ofc my reaction to that feeling is 'the devs probably dont think about this stuff much' and not 'they should be executed'

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Didn't Nexus Mods quietly rewrite their entire site guidelines in response to Oblivion Gates Guy since he was demanding takedowns for hundreds of mods that used the removed city gates.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

pentyne posted:

Didn't Nexus Mods quietly rewrite their entire site guidelines in response to Oblivion Gates Guy since he was demanding takedowns for hundreds of mods that used the removed city gates.

they did lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

people have taken kink positivity to mean they are allowed to talk about what they jack off to publically and to everyone even if no one wants to hear about it

i think people have always done this

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think that's the one I was thinking of, lol. I remember it happened right around the time I was replaying Oblivion and it was suddenly hard to find any of the mods I'd used because everything got splintered off by some kind of mod creator civil war.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the gate crisis tore nexus asunder

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Mod drama is incredible, both Minecraft and Final Fantasy 14 of all games had people implement straight up malware into their mod due to petty grievances

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

And Starsector recently lol.

Dude put some save-delete code in his mod targetting a "rape captured prisoners" fork of the mod he was maintaining.

People would report the issue, he'd ask for the logs and mod list and the rape mod would be in logs but edited from list lol.

He was banned from the discord and forums due to outrage. Lots of the discussed "Wow, afraid of sex huh?" creeps gloating etc.

Dandywalken has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Mar 14, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Danaru posted:

Mod drama is incredible, both Minecraft and Final Fantasy 14 of all games had people implement straight up malware into their mod due to petty grievances

malware to target one specific user and gently caress with them, at that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I said people should keep their horny rp poo poo to private places in xiv and was told I was shoving queer people back into the closet by goons lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
who was that one person who wrote anime villain screeds into all of their mod release notes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I said people should keep their horny rp poo poo to private places in xiv and was told I was shoving queer people back into the closet by goons lol

people talk about pride parades but the reason for kink at pride isnt a statement that we should all be walking around in public in bondage gear 365 days a year

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

A/T Kink threads last on SA for 4 iterations up until about 2012 when they were finally banned.

Ask about kinky sex, BDSM, and other fetishes

The Kinky Sex - BDSM - D/s Megathread. A/T about getting your freak on!

The Kinky Sex - BDSM - D/s Megathread. Goatse is just the beginning

By the end it was

- maybe try incorporating ham into your play
- take chlorophyll tablets to make your poop smell better

and generally talking about kinks in a way that made it clear the the kink was knowing people are reading your graphic sexual discussion

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Ibram Gaunt posted:

lmfao ahhhh

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Danaru posted:

and kerbal space program iirc

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

there was a sonic fangame that came with DRM that if you hosed with the game in any way the creator didnt like it would gently caress with your computer and put you on a blacklist where you had to personally email the creator and apologize to them to get taken off it. the DRM was implemented because the creator was protective of their sprites they made which werent even unique to begin with lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Danaru posted:

I remember a mod for cities skylines where someone intentionally made their mod incompatible with other mods that AFAIK didn't overlap or anything, this guy just apparently hated some other people and when people asked why errors would happen when using x mod he would reply "Don't use their mod they're bad at coding"

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
gay icon ralph pootawn

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

https://fan-games-n-hacks.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic_Gather_Battle#DRM_Controversy

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

lobster shirt posted:

the computer can already be used to improve mood, through the mechanism of reading and writing posts

????Improve????

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Didnt this exact thing happen with some speed gaming thread years back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
wait im remembering wrong i think it was actually gamerips not mods which is even funnier