Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

nine-gear crow posted:

That being said, a purpose-build, ground-up intentional giant Disney movie musical Final Fantasy would be loving amazing and I want Nomura to actually make it one day.

Make it an FF9 remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

This was absolutely Nomura talking out of his rear end though. I remember that article distinctly and he said that he got the idea to make FFXV a musical after watching Tom Hooper's Les Misérables in 2012. Final Fantasy VX/Final Fantasy Versus XIII had been in development for about seven years at that point. To do what Nomura claims he wanted to do would have required ripping whatever they'd built of the game to that point up and starting over from scratch again.

It's no coincidence that Nomura was fired as FFXV project lead a few months after that interview and Tabata was brought in to replace him. Because Square was like "e-loving-nough of this auteur finger paint and zen crystal poo poo, someone publish a loving game already, we look like idiots" (because they were, in fact, idiots).

That being said, a purpose-build, ground-up intentional giant Disney movie musical Final Fantasy would be loving amazing and I want Nomura to actually make it one day. Just get your loving priorities straight my man.

Tetsuya Nomura was the director of multiple games that were released in that time frame.

How does this keep happening? It's loving insane. Between 2006 and 2013 when XIII was rebranded to 15 he literally was the director of at least one published game a year, except 2010 which had 2 and 2011 which had none. To put it another way in the same time frame Tabata put out 3 games, one of which he co-directed with Nomura.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 14, 2024

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

berenzen posted:

Goddamn the UPA chocobo race music had no reason to go that hard.

Now I'm stuck on the 3D brawler part of it and wanting to tear my hair out because the telegraphs all look way too loving similar.

I dunno how much this'll help, I've not sat down and properly tried them but you can pause the game while they're winding up to give yourself time/look at a cheat sheet, unpause and do the input you need. I'm crap at that kinda thing so that and the situps are probably gonna be the things that stop me from getting the plat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

Make it an FF9 remake.

Man, how long ago was it even now that that Nvidia leak "revealed" FF9 Remake? It feels like a while now. Same with that FF9 cartoon that was supposedly gonna drop a trailer any day now and then just vanished.

ImpAtom posted:

How does this keep happening? It's loving insane. Between 2006 and 2013 when XIII was rebranded to 15 he literally was the director of at least one published game a year, except 2010 which had 2 and 2011 which had none. To put it another way in the same time frame Tabata put out 3 games, one of which he co-directed with Nomura.

Again, I was talking purely about XV. I am well aware that Nomura successfully put out a bunch of games during FFXV's development time, but he also had a very strong track record of not releasing a game called either Final Fantasy Versus XIII or Final Fantasy XV for eight whole years in a row and Square clearly got tired of it :v:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 14, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Man, how long ago was it even now that that Nvidia leak "revealed" FF9 Remake? It feels like a while now. Same with that FF9 cartoon that was supposedly gonna drop a trailer any day now and then just vanished.

If you believe the repeated rumors it's going to be a lower-scale remake than FF7, is coming to the Switch, and was not seriously promoted because FF7R and FF16 were the primary focus.

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, I was talking purely about XV. I am well aware that Nomura successfully put out a bunch of games during FFXV's development time, but he also had a very strong track record of not releasing a game called either Final Fantasy Versus XIII or Final Fantasy XV for eight whole years in a row and Square clearly got tired of it :v:

I mean from everything we know of that time frame it was that Square-Enix was a disaster, not that Nomura was. He wasn't directing FFXVIII because they didn't have their poo poo together to direct FFVXIII and he was working on multiple games a year. Everything we know of that time frame is flat-out "nothing happened because nobody had their poo poo together at S-E leadership" more than some massive failure on Nomura's part.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 14, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

If you believe the repeated rumors it's going to be a lower-scale remake than FF7, is coming to the Switch, and was not seriously promoted because FF7R and FF16 were the primary focus.

Yeah, I'm seeing stuff that says expect something more like Persona 3 Reloaded rather than Final Fantasy VII Remake. Which is fine, they more or less got FF9 right the first time around anyway, no need to really mess with success too much.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I mean from everything we know of that time frame it was that Square-Enix was a disaster, not that Nomura was. He wasn't directing FFXVIII because they didn't have their poo poo together to direct FFVXIII and he was working on multiple games a year. Everything we know of that time frame is flat-out "nothing happened because nobody had their poo poo together at S-E leadership" more than some massive failure on Nomura's part.

Well it's a good thing Square has since solved all of their leadership shitshow problems and everything is running smoothly now up in the c-suite, right? ...Riiiiiiight :haw:

:thejoke:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This UPA arena fight is straight rear end lmao

Here, fight two Gargantuars, it'll take you five minutes and you'll have to Raise everyone three times. Next is ten Tonberrys. There are three more rounds after this.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Cactuars and Tonberries are always annoying but I can never be mad at them because they are very friend-shaped. I'm the one who came and tried to gently caress up their neighborhood.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Arist posted:

This UPA arena fight is straight rear end lmao

Here, fight two Gargantuars, it'll take you five minutes and you'll have to Raise everyone three times. Next is ten Tonberrys. There are three more rounds after this.

It was pretty annoying but Aerith's synergy skill that shoots in a line does a great job of blasting all the Tonberries. Also I equipped Barret with an anti-death accessory which really helped.

I hope I can redo this fight or something because I didn't bring Assess Cloud and there were two new monsters in there.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't remember any of the rounds other than the Gargantuars and the Tenberry so that's probably a reassurance.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
One of my favorite bits of music in the game is played early, near the beginning (the non-battle music leading up is fantastic too): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kn3U--JYPQ

Hamauzu's stuff has always been my jam and this is one of his better pieces, IMO. I can almost hear some Saga Frontier 2 in there right after the 30 second mark. I hope, somehow, that they go even harder for part 3 in terms of quality and variety but I can barely conceive of how they'd do that at this point.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I didn't have any issues with the gigantuars, but the tonberry fight is solved by giving all your characters instant death protection, at which point they do nothing.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I only just started and am dicking around outside Kalm, but they already improved the one thing missing from Remake, enemy respawns. I feel like JRPGs are at their best when you can grind out XP, Gil, whatever to overcome that tough boss or fight. Remake always felt like there was a set number of enemies to fight which is way too limiting compared to FFs or years past and the reliance on dodging/blocking (which if I had it my way would never be in a FF game to begin with) was heightened.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bewilderment posted:

idle thought: Cloud being able to do the whole dance in FF7R1 but having only recently arrived in Midgar means this is probably a famous dance that he watched on video and canonically learned during his time in Shinra, practiced it with the troops.

It is the equivalent of a tiktok dance he learned.

No, Cloud is just a genius at dancing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

berenzen posted:

Now I'm stuck on the 3D brawler part of it and wanting to tear my hair out because the telegraphs all look way too loving similar.

If you do the pause thing to try and read the telegraphs the best way to do it is to look at his stance/posture.

If he’s kind of crouching, it’s a low dodge
If he’s not crouched nor kind of leaning back/up, it’s a middle dodge
If he’s leaning back/up, it’s a high dodge

You can hold the direction ready and unpause and it should just go ahead and dodge, you don’t need to do a lightning fast unpause-dodge thing.

You’ll still need to learn to read left and right properly but after I worked out the stance part I did it in like 3 attempts (after about an hour of getting absolutely loving nowhere)

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

berenzen posted:

Hope you like what comes after :)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

they want shady posted:

Some of the funniest side stuff to me since I suck at the piano game is every time they set up these cute moments for Tifa with an impromptu recital. They're like, I might know a certain someone who knows their way around a piano ;) and no they don't.

I literally only do good on the piano during those bits. Maybe it's the added pressure.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

they want shady posted:

Some of the funniest side stuff to me since I suck at the piano game is every time they set up these cute moments for Tifa with an impromptu recital. They're like, I might know a certain someone who knows their way around a piano ;) and no they don't.

I always feel so bad for Tifa in those moments. Like no Cloud, don't volunteer Tifa for this, no lady, don't get a whole crowd to come watch her, nooooo!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

My tifa plays piano just fine

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
I'm at the start of chapter 12, how long do I have to go if I just beeline the main quest? I know the game has 14 chapters. The game is absolutely fantastic but unfortunately I'm starting to feel like I'm ready to be done with it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fabulous Knight posted:

I'm at the start of chapter 12, how long do I have to go if I just beeline the main quest? I know the game has 14 chapters. The game is absolutely fantastic but unfortunately I'm starting to feel like I'm ready to be done with it.

A couple of hours at least, I’m in chapter 13 and also feeling like this dungeon is wearing out its welcome but I’ve done all the side stuff along the way so this is all that’s left.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Fabulous Knight posted:

If you're at the very start of Ch 12, and do nothing but main quest, I'd wager probably like 6-7 hours?

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Sockser posted:

If you're at the very start of Ch 12, and do nothing but main quest, I'd wager probably like 6-7 hours?

At the very start, yes. Well, about ten minutes in or so. Thanks!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Fabulous Knight posted:

10-12 hours

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Question I can’t seem to Google the answer to. If I’m not on dynamic difficulty, are enemies and bosses level scaling with me?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Final protorelic: Any tips for these double summon fights? This seems like a nightmare.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Other than put it on easy the only thing you really need to know is for the one with Phoenix in, kill Phoenix first or that motherfucker can and will revive the other one with full HP like a total rear end in a top hat

Edit- VVVVV I didn’t even clock that you couldn’t kill Phoenix first I guess lol, ignore my advice entirely!

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 14, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Final protorelic: Any tips for these double summon fights? This seems like a nightmare.

Generally each one has a gimmick and a specific one you want to focus first. Titan shields Bahamut and has lower HP so you want him down, Kujata must be defeated before Phoenix though Phoenix will revive him once, Odin needs to be forced before Alexander.

The key is that the one you're not focusing mostly just needs to be dodged/avoided.

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

I’m still on chapter 9. When I played Remake, with the lockdown, I felt like I burned through that whole game in a week including playing Animal Crossing. It’s hard to compare the two game experiences (rebirth and remake) because I just don’t have time like I did during a lockdown. I feel like it’s affecting the Rebirth experience when you really can only play on weekends and have huge breaks between them

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
After getting titan and doing about 3/4? Of the game (just starting the return to the mansion, I'm getting wrecked by Alexander and Phoenix who I am fighting on the easiest mode. I think my materia setup must be bad. I'm using Cloud, Tifa and Aerith, is that a bad combo? Is anyone super OP?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MintFresh posted:

I’m still on chapter 9. When I played Remake, with the lockdown, I felt like I burned through that whole game in a week including playing Animal Crossing. It’s hard to compare the two game experiences (rebirth and remake) because I just don’t have time like I did during a lockdown. I feel like it’s affecting the Rebirth experience when you really can only play on weekends and have huge breaks between them

Same here, but I'm on chapter 7 and my playtime is already nearly as high as my whole Remake playthrough.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Doh. I thought I managed to over-level a bit but it turns out I had turned difficulty down to Easy to see if it made the Moogle mini-game less obnoxious (it did not) and forgot to flip it back up to Normal for an hour or two.

Apart from the point where they add the time limit to the Moogle mini-game, I've found most of the mini-games somewhere between tolerable and fun except for the ones attached to the proto-relic quests which have been uniformly miserable. Just encountered Gears & Gambits for the first time... ugh.

Overall I'm still liking this a lot 60-some hours into the game. The combat is clicking for me now better than it did in Remake.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The moogle minigame automatically offers you an easy difficulty if you gently caress it up enough but by the last couple I was clearing them in one attempt with zero hits anyway

The time limits are super generous and all you need to do is get behind them while facing where you want them to go, I am old and dogshit at games so I feel like most anybody should be able to do this

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

MintFresh posted:

It's a long rear end game, I've gone from the first weekend of non stop play to doing a bit kf stuff on the evenings. It's a really good game to take your time with, and less good if you just wanna power through.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Also, getting towards the end of the game, Temple of the Ancients has worn out its welcome several hours ago and it just keeps going. Really wish it would stop sometime soon, any time now!

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

The moogle minigame automatically offers you an easy difficulty if you gently caress it up enough but by the last couple I was clearing them in one attempt with zero hits anyway

The time limits are super generous and all you need to do is get behind them while facing where you want them to go, I am old and dogshit at games so I feel like most anybody should be able to do this

I think the imposition of a time limit stressed me out and I started loving up. Was doing okay until then. Will circle back and give it another go as I do want those skill books.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

MintFresh posted:

I know, it's loving bullshit

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

Also, getting towards the end of the game, Temple of the Ancients has worn out its welcome several hours ago and it just keeps going. Really wish it would stop sometime soon, any time now!

:agreed: It was way too long. Would have been nice if they split some of the length by making (endgame location spoiler) Forgotten Capital into a dungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

redreader posted:

After getting titan and doing about 3/4? Of the game (just starting the return to the mansion, I'm getting wrecked by Alexander and Phoenix who I am fighting on the easiest mode. I think my materia setup must be bad. I'm using Cloud, Tifa and Aerith, is that a bad combo? Is anyone super OP?

All of the characters are really good, honestly. There aren't bad setups.

The main things I'd suggest are making sure you're swapping and building ATB a lot (also using synergy skills to build ATB), blocking attacks, and focusing on whatever Assess tells you will pressure or stagger the boss. Alexander, for example, gets hosed up by lightning damage. (If you have the Plasma Discharge enemy skill, use that on Yuffie and spam abilities that refund ATB like Mug or Brumal Form and she will absolutely melt things.)