Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/LookAtMyMeat1/status/1766948868980126081

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Lol at the Melina

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

waltuh... get out your d(ragon's dogma) waltuh

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Shard posted:

are you like me and would just spend an afternoon walking around the starting area of a final fantasy game just to make sure you were like level 15 before you moved to the next area?

Yes and I have to set level limits for myself to move on or I never finish games lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Some of us reached the last boss in dq 11 at level 97

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
Catching up listening to podcasts while grinding the weekend away. That's the life.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I beat final fantasy 4 at level 78 because I kept going through the entire moon dungeon and then using gate to warp back to the overworld. Did it 5 times

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zokari posted:

people who avoid over-leveling are weak
people die when they are killed

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Not if you play on casual mode.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm playing bg 2 right now.... In story mode 😈

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shard posted:

Undertale was designed specifically to gently caress with these people

Ultima 4 was designed to gently caress with these people, in 1985.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
What do people use for standalone gaming microphones these days? Lots of recommendations for stuff like the Elgato Wave3 or the Blue Yeti which seem a bit more designed for streaming or podcasting rather than just online gaming.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Shard posted:

Undertale was designed specifically to gently caress with these people

i do that kind of stuff and also loved undertale. im twisted and hosed up and believe that the video game people only exist to entertain me :twisted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it fucks with them by giving them the best boss fight in the game

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Catching up listening to podcasts while grinding the weekend away. That's the life.

You get it :hmmyes:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Shard posted:

that is so oddly specific. Does Russia have a big market that it's a big loss?

I don't think that's what the reporting actually says, it's that by doing this, Embracer will no longer have any assets based in Russia, because none of the studios they're retaining after the Saber sales are there.

Historically Saber Interactive was known for funneling cheap Russian labor into development support for other game studios

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Buff Squidward few

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Buff Squidward few

I think that's supposed to be bryan cranston

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

who is the lady next to Guts supposed to be

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Kerrzhe posted:

who is the lady next to Guts supposed to be

I think that's supposed to be Geralt

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Shard posted:

I beat final fantasy 4 at level 78 because I kept going through the entire moon dungeon and then using gate to warp back to the overworld. Did it 5 times

Speaking of Final Fantasy 4: I was planning on getting the Pixel Remaster, but then I saw that they also had the 3D Remake which is cheaper and, in some ways, seems more impressive (and it's even cheaper!) Is there a preference, some sort of quality-of-life that the Pixel Remaster has over it?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

No, it’s drastically more difficult (though not as bad as III), play the pixel remaster

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The 3d remake has Liam O'Brien as Kain

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

FutureCop posted:

Speaking of Final Fantasy 4: I was planning on getting the Pixel Remaster, but then I saw that they also had the 3D Remake which is cheaper and, in some ways, seems more impressive (and it's even cheaper!) Is there a preference, some sort of quality-of-life that the Pixel Remaster has over it?

I hate the 3d version for whatever that is worth

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

FutureCop posted:

It has some very questionable design decisions but it's the only version of FF4 with a semblance of challenge to it so I prefer it in a lot of ways (but FF4 is also a game I've played way too many times across its different ports so I'm used to it).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Shard posted:

are you like me and would just spend an afternoon walking around the starting area of a final fantasy game just to make sure you were like level 15 before you moved to the next area?

That's how I play the older Dragon Quest games. Just wander around and grind until you can fully kit yourself out at the town before moving on.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

FutureCop posted:

The 3D Remake has a completely new translation and a meh bit of additional backstory, while the Pixel Remaster uses a slightly tweaked GBA translation (unless you mod it to change the script).

The 3D version is definitely harder though, and can catch you off-guard if you ever played the SNES version and remember steamrolling everything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr Hootington posted:

Some of us reached the last boss in dq 11 at level 97

Getting everyone to lvl 99 takes about half an hour after you get the thing that forces metal slimes to spawn

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Hmm, well, the 3D Remake being a bit harder might actually be a plus in my book as I like to avoid just spamming attack, but then again, if y'all are bringing it up in the first place, I assume that it's meant that the difficulty isn't actually challenging but rather unbalanced or awkward, like it requires you to stop and run laps to grind too often instead of just flowing, or it's needlessly tedious and time-wasting from spongy enemies, or it's filled with dumb insta-death traps you can't see coming. Is that about right? And if it's already hard by default, I'd hate to see what it's like on it's hard difficulty, haha!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Nemo2342 posted:

That's how I play the older Dragon Quest games. Just wander around and grind until you can fully kit yourself out at the town before moving on.

In my head those games are still called dragon warrior ha I rented those first Four games so much

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think it's a good kind of difficulty, in that it makes you actually engage with the systems. A lot of bosses are vulnerable to status spells like Slow, for example, and the game expects you to use them.

On the other hand, there's the Augments system, which you kinda have to know what's coming ahead of time to get the most out of. Short version: FF4 is famous for its revolving door party. The only real constant in the party is Cecil, and throughout the story he runs into all kinds of characters who join up with him, spend a decent amount of time in the party, you get to know and love them, then for one reason or another (often tragic ones) they bow out either temporarily or permanently. In the 3D version, when a character leaves permanently, they give you an Augment containing one of their unique abilities, which you can use on another character to give that character that ability.

You might think that means you should look up who your final party is going to be and give the Augments to those guys, but there's a catch. The catch is that when a character that's been given Augments permanently leaves the party, they give you more Augments containing their more powerful abilities on top of the one they normally give you. If you want to get some of the most powerful abilities in the game for your final party to use, you need to feed early useful abilities to lovely characters that are going to die and take those abilities with them, so that you can get their worse abilities and feed them to good characters that don't need them, so that when THEY die, etc. You don't stand much chance of figuring that out without a guide.

As annoying as that all sounds, it is optional. I don't think you need to engage with it to beat the game, it just helps, and has some cool stuff at the end of that augment chain, like giving Cecil and Rosa Twincast so they can cast Ultima. I really like the 3D remake. I've never finished it, but that's not on it, that's a me problem, I'm terrible at finishing RPGs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm playing the PS2 remake of Dragon Quest V and it's got the classic first person battles and when one of the monsters jumps at the screen to attack me, I still sometimes jump

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Oh, the 3d version is the DS version. That's my favorite version of FF4.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm playing the PS2 remake of Dragon Quest V and it's got the classic first person battles and when one of the monsters jumps at the screen to attack me, I still sometimes jump

I'm currently playing Half Life Alyx and let me tell you, for being someone who is really careful with ammo usage, I full-mag-dump into every headcrab I find because I absolutely do not want them to latch onto my face because I will freak out and end up smashing my expensive visor in panic.

So yeah, I'm right there with you. I can't play Duke Nukem 3D because of those aliens that attach to your face, and once Alien Isolation introduced eggs and face-huggers, I quit and uninstalled the game: I got enough out of it by that point.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Dabir posted:

If you want to get some of the most powerful abilities in the game for your final party to use, you need to feed early useful abilities to lovely characters that are going to die and take those abilities with them, so that you can get their worse abilities and feed them to good characters that don't need them, so that when THEY die, etc. You don't stand much chance of figuring that out without a guide.

I’ve never played FF4 DS - how does it work out if you go in blind (but know that, yes, you should give augments to everybody, even the characters that you know are going to die). Would you still end up with junk? Or would you have endgame abilities, just maybe not the optimal ones you’d choose if you could pick anything you wanted?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Hmm, well, the 3D Remake being a bit harder might actually be a plus in my book as I like to avoid just spamming attack, but then again, if y'all are bringing it up in the first place, I assume that it's meant that the difficulty isn't actually challenging but rather unbalanced or awkward, like it requires you to stop and run laps to grind too often instead of just flowing, or it's needlessly tedious and time-wasting from spongy enemies, or it's filled with dumb insta-death traps you can't see coming. Is that about right? And if it's already hard by default, I'd hate to see what it's like on it's hard difficulty, haha!

I played it on the DS and was pleasantly surprised by the difficulty; it never felt like I needed to spend hours grinding exp like a Disgaea game, more that the encounters required more thought and effort than just picking my highest damage moves every turn

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

I’ve never played FF4 DS - how does it work out if you go in blind (but know that, yes, you should give augments to everybody, even the characters that you know are going to die). Would you still end up with junk? Or would you have endgame abilities, just maybe not the optimal ones you’d choose if you could pick anything you wanted?

I seem to remember there being just enough available at any given time to get the full set from the next characters who are due to leave, assuming you got the full set from the previous departures. But I could be wrong about that.

E: There's also a New Game+ system, and a guide I looked at just now claims you can't get all Augments on your first run no matter what. Apparently, characters' stat gains at high levels (like 70+) depend on what abilities they have actively equipped when they level up, like Espers in FF6, so if you want to 100% the game by maxing everyone's stats and getting all the Augments there's a really specific guide you need to follow. But if you just want to get through the story, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just try to give two Augments to characters whose abilities seem useful, so that you'll get all three of theirs in return.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 15, 2024

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

At least in the DS version, optimal augments are far from necessary. I think you can even beat the game without engaging with the augment system at all. It's more of just a fun min/max thing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, for sure, getting to the credits just takes thoughtful play and understanding your options in battle, the tedious spreadsheet following is not at all required unless you're a dedicated achievement hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

John Noble to narrate a 9 minute video on the lore of Stellar Blade.

This but it's Al Pacino repeating that she's got a great rear end scene from Heat to footage of the game.