Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Endorph posted:

they also made the costume mix-and-match inexplicably so you can use male head with the cheerleader body and uhhhhhh lol

their heart is in the right place, but sadly you don't create with your heart you create with your brain and that dev teams brain turned to mush a long a time ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah lol, in my defense I didn't preorder or anything, it was just the game everyone was talking about at the time and I don't regret my purchase.
Yeah but it's on gamepass!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
therhes some youtube video essay youtube will shove in my recs sometimes and the title is "why games arent good anymore" and the thumbnail is a skyrim screenshot lmfao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
starfield is just really bad theres nothing fun about it even the other mid bethseda games let you explore and find cool poo poo but you cant do that in starfield because they made a hundred planets that are all proc gen and look the same

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol the bethseda creation club

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

lmfao I mean I get it, the character's whole thing is Modern Creepy Internet Story "It looks different to everyone" psychological monster but without that context, woof that's a bad idea

"They look like monsters to you?"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Martman posted:

Yeah but it's on gamepass!!!

the best deal in gaming

I had a billing error for like a year and they never took away my "first month for a dollar!" deal, but they fixed it last month lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

starfield is just really bad theres nothing fun about it even the other mid bethseda games let you explore and find cool poo poo but you cant do that in starfield because they made a hundred planets that are all proc gen and look the same

its the same as the other post oblivion games its just that skyrim had a level of impressiveness to its scope for the time it came out and starfield doesnt. theres no cool stuff to find in skyrim at all either and 90% of the map is identical looking.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

therhes some youtube video essay youtube will shove in my recs sometimes and the title is "why games arent good anymore" and the thumbnail is a skyrim screenshot lmfao
every couple of months some clip of some twitch streamer who only plays cod and apex talking about games not being fun anymore shows up on my twitter feed, and its like dude you made your job playing poo poo games, go play xenoblade 3 or something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

yeah it's like a quarter of a cool game stretched out way too thin. You could probably make a decent game out of any individual part if you took development time away from everything else, but they just tried to do too much. Just about the only thing I look back on fondly after uninstalling was a lot of the armor design was cool and fighting people in low-grav with all of the jetpack perks was pretty fun

also how are the mod tools not out yet???

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

what was the spore-like game that came out in like 97 or something. i remember it was pc only and my family was based and macpilled but then i played it at a friends house and it sucked

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

spore rocks, now there's a game I'd like to see get remade as its original vision. I think we could do it these days

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Endorph posted:

as a child i was tricked by spore and i will never forgive will wright

I knew things at maxis were getting wonky when they made that combat racing game

was fun to load in your sc2/3k cities though

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

every couple of months some clip of some twitch streamer who only plays cod and apex talking about games not being fun anymore shows up on my twitter feed, and its like dude you made your job playing poo poo games, go play xenoblade 3 or something

I used to get tons of Overwatch 2 hate videos in my youtube suggestions from streamers who exclusively stream OW2 lol. Seems like a cursed existence to constantly complain about the only game that gets you viewers

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's not even "the algorithm shows you more videos like the ones you're watching" either, that poo poo is busted or not tuned right or not specific enough or something because I get those videos too and I watch 0 content based on overwatch or apex or whatever. Youtubes just like "oh runescape is a video game? diablo 4 is a video game too, here's a 45 minute video of someone complaining about it"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

It's not even "the algorithm shows you more videos like the ones you're watching" either, that poo poo is busted or not tuned right or not specific enough or something because I get those videos too and I watch 0 content based on overwatch or apex or whatever. Youtubes just like "oh runescape is a video game? diablo 4 is a video game too, here's a 45 minute video of someone complaining about it"

youtube search recently has gotten insanely bad. it seems to favor pushing big channels over anything else. if you search anything remotely video game related you just get a giant wall of asmongold's 15 channels.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I get a mix of big channels I've never heard of and will hopefully never hear of again and like 17-view videos of some guy mumbling over RPG-maker longplays (which I watch because those are cool lol)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

in hock to Big Rat...

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i love searching for something on youtube and then getting:
- four bad, tangentially related results
- a bunch of "you might like this!" videos that have literally nothing to do with what i searched for
- a youtube short of a guy who glued beans to his leg at the beach

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

cyberpunk is good but even on patch 3.5124.342 it still feels unfinished which isnt really a big deal because all my favourite rpgs are anyway lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Endorph posted:

when they said streaming was harder than a real job i didnt believe them. now i feel stupid...

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah its reallu annoying. also everyones gone insane and now games which are just sort of inoffensively mid are the worst thing ever made, or even worse itll try showing me poo poo about how elden ring actually sucks?? i never want to see any of it lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cyberpunk 2077 feels like it was a good game that got rushed into being not as good, but I'll probably still play the next Witcher game.

After Fallout 4, I think I sort of gave up on Bethesda. I actually still enjoyed it, it's just that the Oblivion charm gets a little thinner with each of their releases, I don't have time to install a zillion mods to get a game to actually function, and it's clear they are never going to fix their creaky engine. I'll be happy if they have some kind of transcendent resurgence with ES6 but it just doesn't seem likely.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dongicus posted:

cyberpunk is good but even on patch 3.5124.342 it still feels unfinished which isnt really a big deal because all my favourite rpgs are anyway lol

this never happened in the golden age of gaming. the classics released perfect and with no issues. now to load up release 1.0 of s.t.a.l.k.e.r and game on :cheers:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there was a post on one of the socials a while back about how google just straight up changes your searches after you type them in and hit search, in order to feed you more adds or direct your traffic, and I don't doubt at all that they've got youtube set up the same way

for a while one of the main kinds of videos I kept getting on my feed were just dozens of different "spoiler/explained" channels posting videos with titles that directly spoiled the endings of whatever current TV shows or movies were and the images were screenshots of main character deaths or other big spoilers, and I could not get them to go away. Relentlessly owned by my own feed

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Southern Cassowary posted:

i love searching for something on youtube and then getting:
- four bad, tangentially related results
- a bunch of "you might like this!" videos that have literally nothing to do with what i searched for
- a youtube short of a guy who glued beans to his leg at the beach

- the same video showing up multiple times in the results

-something insanely gross like a man covered in ticks

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
I had 600 er, I had almost 700 on the CoD fuckin remaster man. Like I hate Call of Duty, I fuckin hate it, it eh it fuckin ruined my life... Hate everything about it...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk how youd use youtube these days without the extension that lets ou straight up block channels tbh

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Stux posted:

yeah its reallu annoying. also everyones gone insane and now games which are just sort of inoffensively mid are the worst thing ever made, or even worse itll try showing me poo poo about how elden ring actually sucks?? i never want to see any of it lol

Yeah, the hot takes, everything is either the best or the worst game ever made, "Nintendo MUST fix this one issue in the next Zelda game!!" clickbait stuff makes it all totally insufferable, because everyone in the space has to compete with that and end up writing their own version of it and trying to develop some weird persona. Even E3 got so dire and boring toward the end that it felt like a mercy-killing when it died. Just about the only ways that I enjoy interacting with video games anymore are playing them or posting about them in the Imp Zone.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

frustratingly, it's mostly not even really those channel's fault. Like to a point yeah, you don't have to be a big entitled wiener, there are plenty of dudes are who are cool about stuff and do alright, but youtube's been steadily weeding out any way to make money and a living off of the platform other than being the loudest idiot in the room, so all you have left are either those people or creators who are pretending to be those people to keep their channels up until they eventually go insane and become those people for real (or the rapidly-dwindling old-heads that got "grandfathered in" because they've been around for 12 years and youtube hasn't figured out how to kill them yet)

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Stux posted:

this never happened in the golden age of gaming. the classics released perfect and with no issues. now to load up release 1.0 of s.t.a.l.k.e.r and game on :cheers:

(boots up vtmb with the racism restoration patch) :cheersdoge:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Endorph posted:

speaking of accidental transphobia in gamedev lol at dead by daylight trying to be inclusive by hiring a trans VA and then giving the character she voiced this skin

would you believe this has not gone well
even just stuff like the "you can put the pride flag on the meathooks the serial killers hang their victims from :) " is so insanely tonedeaf. dunno wtf goes on behind marketing choices like this

inclusivity win!! the trapper supports gay rights

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Endorph posted:

idk how youd use youtube these days without the extension that lets ou straight up block channels tbh

Watch only videos from the channels you're subscribed to. There is no reason to go to the homepage at all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

A couple years ago you could get face masks for Bubba (from texas chainsaw) of the base game survivors, like his skin mask replaced with their faces. One of the base game survivors is a black woman. I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this lol. They had to take them all out after enough people pointed it out.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

LazyMaybe posted:

even just stuff like the "you can put the pride flag on the meathooks the serial killers hang their victims from :) " is so insanely tonedeaf. dunno wtf goes on behind marketing choices like this

inclusivity win!! the trapper supports gay rights

That rules though because it makes Gamers even angrier about getting hooked when I cover it in gay and bi flags

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

imo the pride flag thing is less of an issue because the system of hanging charms from the hooks was in long before pride flag charms were in, and there's not really any other place to put them that other players have a decent chance of seeing any given game (on the gens maybe?)

the Unkown problem that recently sprang up, they really don't have an excuse. It's just more evidence that they develop this game with their heads buried in the sand, where their spreadsheets also are

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it just kinda feels like trying to cram corporate inclusion into a game and premise that doesnt really fit it. pride flag weapon charms in overwatch, w/e, but while i dont think its the worst thing ever the hooks thing definitely comes across weirder

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im glad that you can put pride flags on the serial killer devic es

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

a streamer i follow complained that the youtube alogrithim would gently caress him if he played a game that didnt get high engagement so he plays those games on twitch instead to keep youtube from loving with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

trans michael myers just killed me and you're laughing