Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Got my 3 midweek magic wins with an Anax burn deck. Took a little bit to get past all the Trelesarra life gain decks but was pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I picked a random 2 mana commander, a dimor faire that pings when a faerie enters battle. There aren't that many faeries allowed, so I filled in with discard stuff and removal. It's not a great deck, but if I can plop out a few faeries and keep my opponent empty handed they sometimes get annoyed and leave rather than top deck for however many turns. Feels faerish in that way.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Gonna try a Ruby slime against Humanity deck with a ton of milk and looting spells.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Jetmir's Garden finally loving having an animation means I can die happy. Goodnight everybody.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Thundercracker posted:

Gonna try a Ruby slime against Humanity deck with a ton of milk and looting spells.

big milk

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I jammed Balmor Izzet Wizard aggro and it was pretty chill. Lots of concedes when you Shock/Counter their commander.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Imoti cascade is fine in the midweek, no great triple cascades like you can get in regular brawl. If you copy the list from mtgazone it could use a few tweaks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I brewed up a Bruenor equipment deck for a quick 3-0, suddenly getting a big trampling double-striker out of nowhere snuck out a lot of wins.

Never drew Colossal Hammer unfortunately.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Bugsy posted:

Imoti cascade is fine in the midweek, no great triple cascades like you can get in regular brawl. If you copy the list from mtgazone it could use a few tweaks.

Big thanks to all the people netdecking this one, the Caparocti Sunborn deck I threw together has been consistently dumpstering it by doing essentially the opposite strategy (the 99 is almost exclusively 3-cost or lower). Helps that once I ran out of decent creatures, I just stuffed in a bunch of First Strike-granting combat tricks and soft removal that let my creatures punch way up.

Shoutout to the guy running Akawalli who F4'd just because I lured him into a Ride Down against his commander on like turn 4 despite the match seeming otherwise fairly even. Guess we know who the real Seething Tower is. :smug:

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

im amending this post to include the following:

self milk strategy

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I threw together this Artisan Merfolk pile to play the event. It served needs. You know, when you strip down Blue-Green down to its basic color-identity chafe, it turns out that drawing a few extra cards and ramping the lands to play for them is still a smashing ol' game of Magic.

Commander
1 Nicanzil, Current Conductor (LCI) 236

Deck
1 Umara Wizard (ZNR) 86
20 Island (MKM) 280
20 Forest (MKM) 286
1 Tatyova, Benthic Druid (DAR) 206
1 Tatyova, Steward of Tides (DMU) 222
1 Merfolk Mistbinder (RIX) 164
1 Merfolk Tunnel-Guide (Y24) 25
1 Skyclave Aerialist (MOM) 78
1 Evidence Examiner (MKM) 201
1 Herald's Reveille (Y24) 5
1 Shoreline Scout (J21) 12
1 Raving Visionary (MH2) 56
1 River Herald Scout (LCI) 72
1 River Sneak (XLN) 70
1 Shaper Apprentice (XLN) 75
1 Silvergill Adept (RIX) 53
1 Merfolk Trickster (DAR) 56
1 Crashing Tide (RIX) 34
1 Deeproot Waters (XLN) 51
1 Merfolk Cave-Diver (LCI) 65
1 Merrow Reejerey (LRW) 74
1 Shipwreck Dowser (M21) 71
1 Slinn Voda, the Rising Deep (DAR) 66
1 Cenote Scout (LCI) 178
1 Jade Bearer (RIX) 134
1 Kumena's Speaker (XLN) 196
1 Seeker of Sunlight (LCI) 210
1 Deeproot Warrior (XLN) 186
1 Merfolk Branchwalker (XLN) 197
1 Tishana's Wayfinder (XLN) 211
1 River Herald Guide (LCI) 209
1 Swift Warden (RIX) 146
1 Forerunner of the Heralds (RIX) 129
1 Vineshaper Mystic (XLN) 214
1 Combine Guildmage (RNA) 163
1 Lodestone Needle (LCI) 62
1 Siren Lookout (XLN) 78
1 Glowcap Lantern (LCI) 187
1 Enter the Unknown (RIX) 128
1 Twists and Turns (LCI) 217
1 Explore (JMP) 393
1 Ixalli's Diviner (XLN) 192
1 Wildgrowth Walker (XLN) 216
1 Over the Edge (LCI) 205
1 Spyglass Siren (LCI) 78
1 Waterwind Scout (LCI) 84
1 Landlore Navigator (Y24) 7
1 Brackish Blunder (LCI) 46
1 Cartographer's Companion (LCI) 248
1 Curiosity (WOT) 17
1 Curious Obsession (JMP) 148
1 Combat Research (DMU) 44
1 Combat Courier (BRO) 77
1 Shore Keeper (XLN) 77
1 Spectral Sailor (JMP) 178
1 Contentious Plan (WAR) 46
1 Cartouche of Knowledge (AKR) 51
1 Chart a Course (LCI) 48
1 Merfolk Looter (M10) 61
1 Network Disruptor (NEO) 71
1 Mantle of Tides (ELD) 52

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I put together a deck based on that WOE WU card that lets you draw when you tap down opponents cards. That remains a terrible way to win a game of Magic – you end up spending your cheap tap spells to survive to turn four where the tap-payoff cards actually live. Do feel like there's sufficiently enough cards that tap opponents stuff, archetype is really missing 1-2 payoffs (think a one drop that pumps every time you tap an opponent's permanent or something) that can land and start building on the early turns.

Then did my own Nicanzil deck and had a much better go at it. Saw someone running a Fynn, the Fangbearer build - wowie does that deck bulldoze. Format rules.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
I went with 5 mana Tatyova, pretty fun but sort of felt like bullying

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 14, 2024

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Ruby Slime deck actually turned out pretty good. Only losses were against other UG slime decks

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Time posted:

cheon was one of the og magic streamers. He paved the way before he went to wotc. he also rules and he walloped me several times recently. Just beat the brakes off me

just wanted to say that you seem like a very good player, but what i really appreciate is that i feel like your posting has been much kinder lately. thanks for making the thread better!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

First impulse was to build Narset for MWM but not being able to do anything to things already on the board sucked. (Also v1 of the deck was very loose and I just didn't care.) That went in the bin pretty quick, but her static ability is still hilarious.

Then I built a BW toxic/amass/Nagzul deck to meet my daily requirements and that was at least more interactive if not more fun. Nazgul continue to be one of my favorite things from the LotR set.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Brawl uses commander power level for matches right? I'm running a Nethroi deck, I don't think it's that great hell it seems to be old even i swapped out 4 sac lands for the fetch lands, but its winning a lot more than its losing, like 60-75% or so. While fun i get the impression that this is because Nethroi is labelled weak as a commander but that its a bit stronger than the tier its in?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lid posted:

Brawl uses commander power level for matches right? I'm running a Nethroi deck, I don't think it's that great hell it seems to be old even i swapped out 4 sac lands for the fetch lands, but its winning a lot more than its losing, like 60-75% or so. While fun i get the impression that this is because Nethroi is labelled weak as a commander but that its a bit stronger than the tier its in?

brawl matchmaking has, essentially, two channels: there's "the best commanders" which are cards like kenrith and kinnan and golos and esika, and there's all the other commanders. it's difficult to get any more granular than that given how much variance there can be from deck to deck so as long as your commander isn't one that can carry you to a win almost no matter what you'll be in the same queue as everyone else

that said, there is some fuzziness and they *might* be able to shove a very good deck with an alternate commander still into the top tier queue, but that's all anecdotal. just don't stress too much if you seem to be winning with a homebrew, you're golden

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

flatluigi posted:

brawl matchmaking has, essentially, two channels

is there also any matchmaking based on number of rares in the deck? i feel like i heard that somewhere, either for arena in general or for some format, but nooooo idea where

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

palamedes posted:

is there also any matchmaking based on number of rares in the deck? i feel like i heard that somewhere, either for arena in general or for some format, but nooooo idea where

iirc if you're a brand new player you only get matched up against brand new players until you start building a collection, but i'm not sure if that's still the case these days with jump in and the starter deck queues

i think a lot of people have tried to figure out how to game the brawl matchmaker to play as good a deck as possible and not hit the other decks that are running the best commanders and it leads to a lot of anecdata and 'i think this is how this might work,' but i think it's always going to be intentionally fuzzy in some way to thwart those people

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think we know that your account's constructed MMR has something to do with matchmaking too, so if you win a lot in other formats, your brawl decks will have stiffer competition, and 2 players playing the exact same deck might have different matchmaking because of it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

flatluigi posted:

brawl matchmaking has, essentially, two channels: there's "the best commanders" which are cards like kenrith and kinnan and golos and esika, and there's all the other commanders. it's difficult to get any more granular than that given how much variance there can be from deck to deck so as long as your commander isn't one that can carry you to a win almost no matter what you'll be in the same queue as everyone else

that said, there is some fuzziness and they *might* be able to shove a very good deck with an alternate commander still into the top tier queue, but that's all anecdotal. just don't stress too much if you seem to be winning with a homebrew, you're golden

I wish it was a homebrew, but its a deck i used to play like a year ago and near as i can tell its barely been updated since then, apart from me swapping out the sac lands for the fetches as i'm not smart enough to brew

Commander
1 Nethroi, Apex of Death (IKO) 197

Deck
1 Indatha Triome (IKO) 248
4 Forest (LTR) 281
4 Swamp (LTR) 277
4 Plains (LTR) 273
1 Flooded Strand (KTK) 233
1 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
1 Sunpetal Grove (XLN) 257
1 Razorverge Thicket (ONE) 257
1 Overgrown Farmland (MID) 265
1 Brushland (BRO) 259
1 Branchloft Pathway (ZNR) 258
1 Woodland Cemetery (DAR) 248
1 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
1 Llanowar Wastes (BRO) 264
1 Deathcap Glade (VOW) 261
1 Darkbore Pathway (KHM) 254
1 Blooming Marsh (KLR) 280
1 Bloodstained Mire (KTK) 230
1 Shattered Sanctum (VOW) 264
1 Isolated Chapel (DAR) 241
1 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
1 Concealed Courtyard (KLR) 282
1 Caves of Koilos (DMU) 244
1 Brightclimb Pathway (ZNR) 259
1 Command Tower (ELD) 333
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Forsaken Crossroads (Y22) 63
1 Bojuka Bog (WWK) 132
1 Polluted Delta (KTK) 239
1 Boseiju, Who Endures (NEO) 266
1 Unburial Rites (ISD) 122
1 Swords to Plowshares (STA) 10
1 Casualties of War (WAR) 187
1 Assemble the Team (Y23) 17
1 Assassin's Trophy (GRN) 152
1 Glowspore Shaman (GRN) 173
1 Grisly Salvage (RTR) 165
1 Timeless Witness (MH2) 179
1 Old Rutstein (VOW) 244
1 Binding the Old Gods (KHM) 206
1 Faeburrow Elder (ELD) 190
1 Knight of Autumn (GRN) 183
1 Mirari's Wake (JUD) 139
1 Eerie Ultimatum (IKO) 184
1 Duress (ONE) 92
1 Stitcher's Supplier (M19) 121
1 Ambitious Farmhand (MID) 2
1 Mire Triton (THB) 105
1 Undead Butler (VOW) 133
1 Sheoldred (MOM) 125
1 Breach the Multiverse (MOM) 94
1 Liliana, Death's Majesty (AKR) 111
1 Skull Prophet (IKO) 206
1 Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines (ONE) 10
1 Dark Ritual (STA) 26
1 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
1 Kami of Bamboo Groves (Y22) 24
1 Elvish Mystic (M14) 169
1 Mana Tithe (STA) 8
1 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
1 A-Llanowar Loamspeaker (DMU) 170
1 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
1 Reclusive Taxidermist (VOW) 214
1 Dryad of the Ilysian Grove (THB) 169
1 Chromatic Lantern (GRN) 233
1 Somberwald Sage (SIS) 55
1 Oracle of Mul Daya (JMP) 415
1 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
1 Dig Up (VOW) 197
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Coldsteel Heart (CSP) 136
1 Verdant Rejuvenation (HBG) 69
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite (NPH) 9
1 Serra's Emissary (MH2) 30
1 Avacyn, Angel of Hope (AVR) 6
1 Sheoldred, the Apocalypse (DMU) 107
1 Esper Sentinel (MH2) 12
1 Sheoldred, Whispering One (NPH) 73
1 Junji, the Midnight Sky (NEO) 102
1 Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider (KHM) 199
1 Titan of Industry (SNC) 159
1 Nyxbloom Ancient (THB) 190
1 Craterhoof Behemoth (JMP) 385
1 Thalia and The Gitrog Monster (MOM) 255
1 Skyclave Apparition (ZNR) 39
1 Ravenous Chupacabra (RIX) 82
1 Gelatinous Cube (AFR) 105
1 Cemetery Tampering (SNC) 69
1 Thoughtseize (AKR) 127
1 Windswept Heath (KTK) 248

if anyone has ideas on what to change up i'd appreciate it as despite it doing fine it does feel a bit weird to be running such a deck

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Lid posted:

if anyone has ideas on what to change up i'd appreciate it as despite it doing fine it does feel a bit weird to be running such a deck

No clue what to remove, but looks like you've skipped MAT, WOE, LCI, and MKM. A quick look at the creatures available in those sets had these jump out at me:

-Bedrock Tortoise, you could lean into Doran-style butt power stuff
-Moonshaker Cavalry, it's another Craterhoof
-Threefold Thunderhulk, 0 power but not really 0 power for Nethroi's trigger

Edit: alright I took a look at the deck in Arena and I think I see what it's trying to do. Here's a link to a scryfall search for every single creature you've missed, from highest mana cost to lowest. https://scryfall.com/search?q=type%...id&unique=cards. But I'm not immediately seeing anything that's a huge shakeup unless you want a second Craterhoof. Or maybe Specter of Mortality as a pinpointable wrath on a creature since you should have a stocked gy most of the time.

Urgent Necropsy seems worth looking at, again your gy will be stocked so it might end up being Casualties of War for 4 mana a lot. Buried in the Garden is a versatile answer that ramps.

You can probably make some swaps in the ramp cards based on how you feel about the performance of each card. I like Poison Dart Frog for ramp + a deathtouch reach blocker or Intrepid Paleontologist for ramp + targeted instant graveyard hate. Try em out for whichever elf you like least. And Nissa, Resurgent Animist seems like it could draw a lot of elves/elementals with how many fetches you have.

palamedes fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 15, 2024

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
We’re all just guessing on Brawl matchmaking conditions, btw. We only know for sure that some commanders are put in their own queue because that much was acknowledged by devs but beyond that it’s all guesswork. We can use our communal knowledge to piece it together but we’re still missing a large chunk of the info.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Finally got some time for more MKM Premier drafting

https://www.17lands.com/draft/013347771e4f4ccf9ebb43f5127cfd81

Doppelgang is a very easy first pick, then I specced on five color goodstuff, then I saw Roots. I didn't want to pick it without being in the colors and having no payoffs, but then I saw another in a weak pack...then a Chalk Outline...and the first Roots tabled...and later I opened a third...and Green was open...

Pretty sweet imo. The first game was a bit awkward, except for a Roots I milled early all my payoffs were super deep in the deck. I had to use a Doppelgang not to win, but to survive (rare!) but also I copied their Rune-Brand Juggler with it and could pay for the activation with Cryptex, which I eventually cracked - and that gave me two payoffs at once. So:

(they conceded when I Pulled two of their creatures. Ordinarily I'd use mine, but I had to fuel the Cryptex and such)

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Lid posted:

I wish it was a homebrew, but its a deck i used to play like a year ago and near as i can tell its barely been updated since then, apart from me swapping out the sac lands for the fetches as i'm not smart enough to brew

Commander
1 Nethroi, Apex of Death (IKO) 197

What do you think the problems with your deck are, and how does it usually win?

You got some ramp, some self mill, and some reanimation. It doesn't look like you have much removal, so I imagine you have issues dealing with very aggressive decks.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

palamedes posted:

No clue what to remove, but looks like you've skipped MAT, WOE, LCI, and MKM. A quick look at the creatures available in those sets had these jump out at me:

-Bedrock Tortoise, you could lean into Doran-style butt power stuff
-Moonshaker Cavalry, it's another Craterhoof
-Threefold Thunderhulk, 0 power but not really 0 power for Nethroi's trigger

Edit: alright I took a look at the deck in Arena and I think I see what it's trying to do. Here's a link to a scryfall search for every single creature you've missed, from highest mana cost to lowest. https://scryfall.com/search?q=type%...id&unique=cards. But I'm not immediately seeing anything that's a huge shakeup unless you want a second Craterhoof. Or maybe Specter of Mortality as a pinpointable wrath on a creature since you should have a stocked gy most of the time.

Urgent Necropsy seems worth looking at, again your gy will be stocked so it might end up being Casualties of War for 4 mana a lot. Buried in the Garden is a versatile answer that ramps.

You can probably make some swaps in the ramp cards based on how you feel about the performance of each card. I like Poison Dart Frog for ramp + a deathtouch reach blocker or Intrepid Paleontologist for ramp + targeted instant graveyard hate. Try em out for whichever elf you like least. And Nissa, Resurgent Animist seems like it could draw a lot of elves/elementals with how many fetches you have.

cheers ill see what i can find

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

imagine dungeons posted:

We’re all just guessing on Brawl matchmaking conditions, btw. We only know for sure that some commanders are put in their own queue because that much was acknowledged by devs but beyond that it’s all guesswork. We can use our communal knowledge to piece it together but we’re still missing a large chunk of the info.

I've seen some info where people tested out the same Commander with just 99 lands vs. an actual deck and it seems that the deck itself is relevant to the matchmaking algorithm, but with lower weight than your choice of commander. Actually weighting every possible deck is extremely NP-hard, so I imagine it's just checking the deck's land-to-nonland ratio or similar.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Deadly Cover Up on a Slime Against Humanity Deck remains a treasured memory, did it again in Ravnica-ish block festival. It's even thematic!

EDIT: And I'd do it again! I don't care about what it costs!

Here's the GB Deck I made to play with Outrageous Robbery and Massacre Girl and Vein Ripper - rather untuned, but I'm having fun Outrageous'ing for 7.

Deck
3 Massacre Girl, Known Killer (MKM) 94
9 Swamp (UST) 214
4 Snarling Gorehound (MKM) 105
2 Homicide Investigator (MKM) 86
2 Vein Ripper (MKM) 110
2 Outrageous Robbery (MKM) 97
2 Deadly Cover-Up (MKM) 83
3 Sharp-Eyed Rookie (MKM) 176
9 Forest (UST) 216
2 Assassin's Trophy (MKM) 187
1 Casualties of War (WAR) 187
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Underground Mortuary (MKM) 271
3 Kraul Whipcracker (MKM) 213
2 Long Goodbye (MKM) 92
2 Slice from the Shadows (MKM) 103
2 Rubblebelt Maverick (MKM) 174
2 Flourishing Bloom-Kin (MKM) 160
3 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171

Ultimatefire fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 15, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ultimatefire posted:

Deadly Cover Up on a Slime Against Humanity Deck remains a treasured memory, did it again in Ravnica-ish block festival. It's even thematic!

I do hope everyone gets to experience this. In my game, the person didn't concede until their next turn when I think it clicked that while Slime works in exile they had no Slimes to cast anymore.

Still feel like Slime is a good idea for a card but needed to be one cheaper and make 1/2's or base 1/1's for it to actually work. It's just brutally slow at 3 mana where you can't start casting two of them a turn until turn five or six or so. I don't think I've encountered a Slime deck that works outside of against likewise fringe slow decks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think it was designed with limited in mind

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's also awful there too at 3 mana for the exact same issue tho. I don't remember ever seeing someone pull off a slime deck in Draft, but I might have beaten them too quickly to see them get their second casting of it off. Who knows.

The 2/2 body is well and good, but 3 mana makes it very, very hard to get any momentum off of.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I think it was designed with limited in mind
The name of the format already betrays a certain problem with it

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

I think they want cards like Slime Against Humanity to be a fun gimmick that isn't actually competitively viable because it would get really boring if too many people where playing with it

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Eeevil posted:

I think they want cards like Slime Against Humanity to be a fun gimmick that isn't actually competitively viable because it would get really boring if too many people where playing with it
I agree with this, and despite my pithy last post, I do think the card is very well designed. People obviously like it and want to play with it, and lots of decks were made e.g. in a recent MWM event, to the point where a meta counter-strategy was to run Deadly Cover-Up to completely hose the Slimes deck. It's (probably) not going to take Modern by storm but any card that makes people go "oh I want to build a deck with this" is a win in my books.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The main weakness of a Slime deck is that players think they can make a deck with only Slime, which will never be viable. The trick is to add some self-mill and/or ramp. Admittedly, no deck reliant on a single card is going to be great, but if you've got, for instance, Rubblebelt Maverick and Aftermath Analyzer in the deck, you can start to get something going. You might also want Tribute to the World Tree for card draw, because once you've cast out your hand, the deck runs out of steam pretty swiftly. Still leaves room for 24 Slimes.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

I agree with this, and despite my pithy last post, I do think the card is very well designed. People obviously like it and want to play with it, and lots of decks were made e.g. in a recent MWM event, to the point where a meta counter-strategy was to run Deadly Cover-Up to completely hose the Slimes deck. It's (probably) not going to take Modern by storm but any card that makes people go "oh I want to build a deck with this" is a win in my books.

It could maybe be fun in Modern with Surgical Extraction

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Ultimatefire posted:

EDIT: And I'd do it again! I don't care about what it costs!

I'll raise you. I fought the leylines deck and deadly covered up

Atroxa
Herd migration
Archangel of wrath

Then I just hit end turn 30 times and won

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Paper copies of the Slime Against Humanity, an in-print common that you can find in a normal standard set booster pack, are selling for $3 each. So yeah there's probably some demand for it.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's also awful there too at 3 mana for the exact same issue tho. I don't remember ever seeing someone pull off a slime deck in Draft, but I might have beaten them too quickly to see them get their second casting of it off. Who knows.

The 2/2 body is well and good, but 3 mana makes it very, very hard to get any momentum off of.

If you are playing constructed and your first Slime is consistently a 2/2, you have misbuilt your deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Wow, I played the most unfun game last night. Its purpose was to lock me out of doing anything on ETB. I thought Voja was bad.