Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I always wondered which minigame would fall into this box for me, and it turns out it's Moogle Mischief.

I don't understand people's problem with it. To be clear, I also absolutely do not like it, even a little, like almost every other minigame it seems to have completely failed to be in on the joke of its existence, has too many layers, far outlasts its welcome, and overall would not be missed if removed. But that said... none of that stuff bothers me like it does for other minjgames because finishing it was also just a complete non-issue for me? I just went in and punted all of the motherfuckers back into their fence first try and went "well that was annoying lol". I guess it would suck to have to repeat the later runs which take a few minutes.

I imagine most people will have one minigame that's like this, the one that they don't spare a second thought for and then don't get why people hate it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I got a TON of mileage out of Cloud using Enemy Materia + Healing Materia, Fire + Ice (change to Lightning + Wind when need be) Materia with Elemental, the one that just gives you ATB when you use it, the one where blocking gives ATB and some stat orbs. I'd use my first ATB to do Plasma Discharge, then Sonic Boom on the second then alternate between that and Disorder (if I didn't need to heal). So basically you always have Bravery active, you're healing even bigger chunks of HP and every time you build an ATB bar Plasma Discharge is going off in an AoE for big damage and decent stagger. If I staggered an enemy I'd quickly hit 2ATB and do Infinity's End for 9999 (though that's late game). I rarely needed outside healing and things just melted. If you do the Synergy attacks that give 3 ATB you're even more busted.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My years of goat wrangling in Twilight Princess has prepared me for these moogles.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I'd probably have more tolerance for Moogle Mischief (which until the time limit freaked me out mostly just took me far longer than I liked to do) if the Moogles were adorable like in past games instead of terrifying.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm concerned that I might be heading towards an Aerith date, since her support thing just capped out in chapter 10, while Tifa's hasn't yet. I'm going to hope Tifa has some sort of side-quest in the next zone that will cap her (which seems like a reasonable assumption given what zone it is) and that it somehow gets her ahead (or that it didn't lock in Aerith because she was first).

(I'm obviously a supporter of Cloud/Tifa)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You must live with your choices

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you do the pause thing to try and read the telegraphs the best way to do it is to look at his stance/posture.

If he’s kind of crouching, it’s a low dodge
If he’s not crouched nor kind of leaning back/up, it’s a middle dodge
If he’s leaning back/up, it’s a high dodge

You can hold the direction ready and unpause and it should just go ahead and dodge, you don’t need to do a lightning fast unpause-dodge thing.

You’ll still need to learn to read left and right properly but after I worked out the stance part I did it in like 3 attempts (after about an hour of getting absolutely loving nowhere)

Pause trick worked. Did it in 1 attempt after doing it. Thanks. Also the 6* one that unlocks after in 4

berenzen fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 14, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I just wanted to be nice to everyone!

Shouldn't have taken that photo of Aerith...

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Ytlaya posted:

I'm concerned that I might be heading towards an Aerith date, since her support thing just capped out in chapter 10, while Tifa's hasn't yet. I'm going to hope Tifa has some sort of side-quest in the next zone that will cap her (which seems like a reasonable assumption given what zone it is) and that it somehow gets her ahead (or that it didn't lock in Aerith because she was first).

I’m pretty sure the game sort of forces you into Aerith if you’re a completionist— there’s a few Tifa side quests that don’t show up until after the date, but you’ve got a bit of time so if a side quest feels like an Aerith one, maybe skip it
(You can also freely choose your date in chapter select post-game and even do the dates in your Shinra uniforms or swimsuits if you want)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
E: double post

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

More side quests will unlock for all the zones at some point before the date, so that should help.

It doesn't matter who gets capped out first, just whoever has the highest actual score by the time you get to the date(this number is hidden from you until you beat the game).

Dialogue options and using synergy abilities with Cloud for the first time also raise their scores.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 14, 2024

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Sockser posted:

I’m pretty sure the game sort of forces you into Aerith if you’re a completionist— there’s a few Tifa side quests that don’t show up until after the date, but you’ve got a bit of time so if a side quest feels like an Aerith one, maybe skip it
(You can also freely choose your date in chapter select post-game and even do the dates in your Shinra uniforms or swimsuits if you want)

There are zero tifa sidequests that show up after the date? I had Aerith maxed out from the sidequests prior to Chapter 12 but then went and did the sidequests that had opened up at the same point (basically when you arrive at the Gold Saucer and before you check in to the hotel when the game lets you know what's about to happen) and that pushed Tifa up and above Aerith.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Me outloud in real life: “I don’t know about this, this sidequest feels like an Aerith one.”

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sockser posted:

I’m a completionist type player who ended up doing every side quest along the way despite intending to mainline the story at various points and my date was Tifa :shrug:

Make sure you’re not loving up the dialogue options when you have all those little conversations too because they count.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Until chapter select anyway then it doesnt.matter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Accept the consequences of your action, go on a date with Barret.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh god not only does temple of the ancients go on about twice as long as it needs to, it ends with a lengthy sequence of slow walking button pressing scenes

It’s like they were trying to ruin the game because it was just too good

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I somehow ended up with the Yuffie date, and looking at my scores after beating the game, she was one point higher than Barret. :lol:

I did all the side quests except for a chocobo racing one, but I know I beefed it on a few of Tifa and Aerith's quests and didn't get the best outcome for them.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you favor certain characters in battle also note you get relationship points for doing synergy stuff for the first time with them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I imagine the tiebreaker for people who just try to do everything is the 5 or 6 little dialogue bits for each option during the game.

Some of the best answers for those aren’t what you would expect either, and the party member’s response doesn’t always tip you off that you chose “wrong”.

Early on in I think Kalm but it might be Junon, Tifa asks Cloud if he remembers someone from Nibelheim and apparently the best answer is “I only remember you”, but I didn’t choose that because it doesn’t seem like something Tifa would take positively in that moment.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wow! I want to murder the shinra middle manager!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I think it's great that there's date options for all 8 party members

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Is there any way to skip chocobo racing? Lol I am never replaying this game for any reason. I have absolutely had it with mini games.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I imagine the tiebreaker for people who just try to do everything is the 5 or 6 little dialogue bits for each option during the game.

Some of the best answers for those aren’t what you would expect either, and the party member’s response doesn’t always tip you off that you chose “wrong”.

Early on in I think Kalm but it might be Junon, Tifa asks Cloud if he remembers someone from Nibelheim and apparently the best answer is “I only remember you”, but I didn’t choose that because it doesn’t seem like something Tifa would take positively in that moment.

I think I've consistently flubbed these. Whatever answers they're looking for do not line up with what makes sense to my perception of the characters.

For a while I thought Yuffie was way out in front for some reason, but then I realized that the blue open-mouthed mood icon is apparently higher affinity than the green smiley mood icon.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Wamsutta posted:

Is there any way to skip chocobo racing? Lol I am never replaying this game for any reason. I have absolutely had it with mini games.

Not if you want to do all the sidequests. But you can pick the gliding chocobo and "skip" whatever section's most annoying to you in any given course (it's seriously broken, won every race by miles with that bird). Or I guess green if what you hate most is cactuar doors but I never used that one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What's the trick to defeating tonberrys? I'm doing the Shinra middle manager ultimate party animal side quest and I'm at the part in the Musclehead Colosseum where you have to defeat like 10 of them. I try to make my attacks fast and get away from them, and I try to dodge often, but they still seem to make my entire team fall unconscious :(

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Craft safety bits

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:agreed: It was way too long. Would have been nice if they split some of the length by making (endgame location spoiler) Forgotten Capital into a dungeon

Haven't gotten to either place yet, but that place you mentioned was more moody and evocative of a place to spend time in than Ancient City, which was just an escher maze with tonberries in the original game and then a dramatic conclusion.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Every single dialogue choice with the party members, I consistently hosed up and chose the wrong option roleplayed Cloud as the awkward teenager he is

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s always the “yeah you’re right” option if they’re making a suggestion or “no you’re great everything’s going to be fine” option if they’re being a downer, it’s not exactly rocket science

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Rageaholic posted:

What's the trick to defeating tonberrys? I'm doing the Shinra middle manager ultimate party animal side quest and I'm at the part in the Musclehead Colosseum where you have to defeat like 10 of them. I try to make my attacks fast and get away from them, and I try to dodge often, but they still seem to make my entire team fall unconscious :(

Equip your squad with anything that prevents instant death or provides the Reprieve effect. I prefer the former but either option works.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sockser posted:

I will just mutter to myself "not canon, not canon, not canon" during my inevitable Aerith date scene

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Fabulous Knight posted:

I'm at the start of chapter 12, how long do I have to go if I just beeline the main quest? I know the game has 14 chapters. The game is absolutely fantastic but unfortunately I'm starting to feel like I'm ready to be done with it.

Update: chapter 12 done. This game are sick.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I asked this before but I'm now on hard mode so I'm asking considerably more urgently: what the gently caress are you actually supposed to do during the second phase of Gigatrice fight in Chapter 7? Assess mentions using elemental magic on the tornados to pressure him but I literally cannot target the tornados with any ability, including the ones that deal elemental damage? Obviously I've got Yuffie throwing ninjutsu everywhere but he seems to be functionally immune to damage and literally immune to stagger and I assume that that's because this is hard mode and you are forced to use the gimmick and pressure him but what the gently caress is the gimmick? What am I missing? Is the assess screen lying again?

e: I hit him with a Synergy Ability and it immediately pressured and grounded him. I still have no idea how the gimmick is supposed to work.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 14, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You can target the tornadoes in very specific and nonintuitive circumstances. Just keep checking over and over again.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

a tornado becomes targetable when the boss is inside of one.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Fedule posted:

I asked this before but I'm now on hard mode so I'm asking considerably more urgently: what the gently caress are you actually supposed to do during the second phase of Gigatrice fight in Chapter 7? Assess mentions using elemental magic on the tornados to pressure him but I literally cannot target the tornados with any ability, including the ones that deal elemental damage? Obviously I've got Yuffie throwing ninjutsu everywhere but he seems to be functionally immune to damage and literally immune to stagger and I assume that that's because this is hard mode and you are forced to use the gimmick and pressure him but what the gently caress is the gimmick? What am I missing? Is the assess screen lying again?

e: I hit him with a Synergy Ability and it immediately pressured and grounded him. I still have no idea how the gimmick is supposed to work.

Not yet in hard mode but when the boss is near a tornado a red lock on will appear besides it (same as other situational lock-ons like the Marlboro's mouth). Still kinda jank and only got it to work once, not really looking forward to that fight in hard mode.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s always the “yeah you’re right” option if they’re making a suggestion or “no you’re great everything’s going to be fine” option if they’re being a downer, it’s not exactly rocket science

Tell that to Palmer.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh I should clarify; I can lock on to the tornados and it shows Tornado X and a health bar. But this only lets me use regular attacks on them. I cannot target them with any active ability and ninjutsu doesn't seem like it triggers the gimmick.

Fortunately it seems like limit breaks and synergy abilities instantly ground him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Fedule posted:

Oh I should clarify; I can lock on to the tornados and it shows Tornado X and a health bar. But this only lets me use regular attacks on them. I cannot target them with any active ability and ninjutsu doesn't seem like it triggers the gimmick.

Fortunately it seems like limit breaks and synergy abilities instantly ground him.

That's weird, you should be able to target them with a spell or something. Timing's really tight tho

Although I might be remembering wrong and I popped it with Yuffie's ninjutsu, could be