Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

DemihumanResources posted:

I have some hope this is swinging back just from the face value of higher ed and small decline of enrollment rates over the last few years, but there's so much to rebuild in the workforce.

There's basically no chance of any rebuilding, capital won't accept any restraints being put on it and that the only path to start fixing things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

skooma512 posted:

It's basically how surge pricing works. You eliminate the customers who won't pay the higher price and rake in the profit.

:rolldice: Medical care and insurance was always arbitrary but now it changes week to week, let alone year to year. Pharmacies will just stop taking an insurance one day out of the blue because they got into a catfight, and you're expected to just know. Providers probably don't even know who's network they're in day to day.

lmfao this poo poo is still going on
Health care providers may be losing up to $100 million a day from cyberattack. A doctor shares the latest

www.cbsnews.com posted:

2024-03-12T16:46:00-0400
Last month's suspected ransomware attack on a major health technology company has sent the health care system reeling — costing providers an estimated $100 million daily as payment disruptions continue, according to an estimate from First Health Advisory, a digital health risk assurance firm.

"This is by far the biggest ever cybersecurity attack on the American healthcare system ever," Dr. Céline Gounder, a CBS News medical contributor and editor-at-large for public health at KFF Health News, said Tuesday. "This is a system, Change Healthcare, that processes medical payments and touches one out of every three patients in this country. So the magnitude of the scope of this attack is really quite large."

Change Healthcare is a Tennessee-based company, part of the health services provider Optum, Inc. and owned by the massive conglomerate UnitedHealth Group. It first reported experiencing company-wide connectivity problems in February. 

Here's what else to know: 
## What is the attack impacting? 

Gounder says providers are facing numerous challenges due to the cyberattack, including impacts to a provider's ability to bill and process things like prior authorizations.

"Can you get those medications? Can you get an estimate, say, on a surgery that you want to schedule? What is that going to look like in terms of your insurance coverage, and so on. All of those kinds of things are being affected," she said.

It's also affecting patients' ability to fill their prescriptions at some hospitals.

"Here, for example, we're only able to give some patients only two weeks of refill," Gounder said. "So it means that they may need to come back over and over again. And some patients are even having to pay out of pocket for their refills."

## Is the government doing anything to help?

On March 5, almost two weeks after Change Healthcare first reported what it initially called a cybersecurity "issue," the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services announced several assistance programs for health providers affected.

"The government is trying to create some supports for health care systems — not directly supporting patients, but the systems," Gounder explains. "This is because without revenue coming in through the billing process, you don't have money to make payroll to be able to pay your doctors and your nurses and your janitors and all the staff that you need to run a health care system."

It's also interfering with the ability to order needed medications and supplies, she adds.

"So the idea is to try to help support health care systems through this, but especially Medicaid providers, those who have less of a buffer, so to speak, financially — they're really in deep trouble here," Gounder said.

HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra, White House domestic policy chief Neera Tanden and other administration officials met Tuesday with United Health CEO Andrew Witty and urged him to take more steps to stabilize the U.S. health system amid the payment crisis, two sources briefed on the meeting told CBS News. 

Officials encouraged UnitedHealth and other insurers in attendance to account for premiums that they're collecting from patients but not paying out to health care providers, as unpaid bills pile up for hospitals, medical practices and pharmacies nationwide. 

## Doesn't HIPAA protect health information?

While there are tight controls around patient records, Gounder says there are potential loopholes hackers could exploit. For example, a medical device connected to the hospital's internet or an HVAC system could be vulnerable.

"Those provide backdoors to enter and hack the internet system of a health care system," Gounder explains. 

I had to change pharmacies to re-up last week

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Article about how rural homelessness is rising 6x faster than average.

https://www.hcn.org/articles/what-rural-homelessness-looks-like/

economy is fine though right?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm taking doomsday econ to strange new places

lol

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Biplane posted:

lmfao at the absolute state of things

did you hear that the worlds largest carbon capture facility is being built in Texas

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
How 2 pwn a hospital and get PHI by the barrel full:

Find a hospital that only recently switched to electronic records
Figure out the username of the oldest doctors
Figure out what the default password their helpdesk gives
Figure out how exactly to monetize PHI.

I've had doctors that require a password reset literally every single day because they forgot, even when they wrote it down. Welcome1 was too hard for some them. The older docs resisted the hell out of the EMR rollout and would do the bare minimum to get in the system and use the weakest passwords possible.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

silicone thrills posted:

Article about how rural homelessness is rising 6x faster than average.

https://www.hcn.org/articles/what-rural-homelessness-looks-like/

economy is fine though right?

They should live within their means and move to a rural area, not everyone can live in a coastal city :smug:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

lmfao this poo poo is still going on
Health care providers may be losing up to $100 million a day from cyberattack. A doctor shares the latest

I had to change pharmacies to re-up last week

love that the government's response is to beg the CEO to do something, anything, please

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

love that the government's response is to beg the CEO to do something, anything, please

Let me guess the CEO is Mike Pill-Ows

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lmao
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1768384437069242785?t=kALf5oTkdBBbR2VS_Qz_JA&s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What would happen if the entire economy was built on extracting rent and providing no value in return ? Let’s find out

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

HallelujahLee posted:

that requires tiktok wanting to sell

funny watching capital circle the sacrifice

for being sold to them is a divine, preordained thing

BULBASAUR has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Mar 14, 2024

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1768317855978676386?t=MVH53vm7c-xyek8E2P4Vvg&s=19

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

euphronius posted:

What would happen if the entire economy was built on extracting rent and providing no value in return ? Let’s find out

There's farms still! We only partially financialized farming.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

the consumer is resilient, the consumer will keep spending

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm taking doomsday econ to strange new places

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

number 8?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

funny watching capital circle the sacrifice

for being sold to them is a divine, preordained thing

bunch of freaks standing with forks at the ready

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

just send paychecks directly to landlords

there

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I don't have TikTok now but if they ban it I might figure out how to side load it. Unless it's sold, then I'll continue to ignore it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

euphronius posted:

there

Work for a corporation and they let you live on their land.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
renovations slowed during covid but now we're back baby, boom times for drywallers and tilers, sign up to destroy your body now

gauntanamo bae
Mar 11, 2024

HallelujahLee posted:

bunch of freaks standing with forks at the ready

the eucharistic of Number

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lmao.. what if china... steals japan steel?? the perfidious chinaman

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Someone on these forums posted about how a PCP in Seattle charges a monthly fee to be a patient there. Not a concierge medical service, just a normal PCP where you have to sit in the waiting room like an rear end in a top hat with everyone else but also pay a fee.

this was pretty common in the sillycon valley area for several years now, like not concierge but a subscription to access to pcps

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

kreeningsons posted:

i don’t blame him and I’ve never owned a construction business but i still fail to see why he couldn’t charge the same amount he was prepandemic. the difference would be having cheaper prices and losing some customers due to a long waitlist, versus having “market” prices and losing some customers due to said prices?
because they can, and materials/equipment/overhead/theft-incidental costs are very much up a lot.

also dealing with homeowners are the lowest scrum cretins in the country, residential construction work is the absolute worst. 3/4th of the time they don't pay or try to pay like half of what they agreed on, try to stiff contractors, get mad about some completely unrelated thing breaking and its ALL YOUR FAULT FIX IT NOW, but i wanted x not y redo it!!, etc. figures if you can get someone whose just willing to open their wallet no questions asked it's easier for contractors

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

Mr Hootington posted:

Lol
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/4531587-biden-vital-for-us-steel-to-remain-domestically-owned-operated/
Biden is giving stern words that he doesn't like Japan buying US Steel. Idk maybe you could do something about it????

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A guy at a knife store that is now closed said the Japanese are the true adversary of America, not China.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nonsense posted:

A guy at a knife store that is now closed said the Japanese are the true adversary of America, not China.

He was right, they have been waiting for a century to get their revenge and now that Americans have let their guard down and gotten addicted to anime they're preparing to strike

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Nonsense posted:

drat. They finally got him.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Nonsense posted:

We're surrounded OP.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

euphronius posted:

there

i think about the sheriff of nottingham stopping by that kid's birthday party a lot

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

WrasslorMonkey posted:

drat. They finally got him.

he had evidence that could be used against Boeing

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cheesus posted:

And to explain to others why this is the case...

We've spent the past 50 years telling kids they should learn to program (like we did their parents after their jobs were shipped overseas) and looking down upon the trades like it was eating dogshit.

Now the pool of trades is small so it's expensive to get that kind of help.

Your general contractors/carpenters have gone where the money is which is specialization. They make way more money as a plumber, or electrician, or roofer than they did when they did it all, and increasingly started getting nickeled and dimed by customers.

So for the most part, a homeowner needs to either be flush with cash to pony up for repairs and maintenance or be handy enough to stuff DIY and/or know their limits.

A video I watched last year estimated of how many positions the trades have been losing as Boomers leave the workforce. The host guesstimated that if you are looking to have non-critical work done on your home like a renovation, you might as well can try doing it yourself. You can fail miserably at least three times in material expenses than what you will pay for a contractor. And that assumes you're ok with the contractor pushing you off for literal years as they pursue more lucrative jobs.

No, this is kind of bullshit.

The real money is to get out of residential altogether, and that's hurting things far more than any nonsense about too many people learning to code instead of doing real manly man work.

The residential trades are and have been dominated by the same kind of small business tyrant that runs restaurants, and it's a highly adversarial field where homeowners are constantly trying to screw you and you're constantly trying to grift homeowners. It's the exact same trend I saw almost twenty years ago when I was very briefly in plumbing and it's only gotten drastically worse after 2020. It really has nothing to do with boomers retiring or anything other than stupid American capitalist bullshit.

Roofing and HVAC are by far the worst at this point and they're essentially fully sales-driven industries, to the point where it's hard to separate legitimate contractors from open scammers. Solar is basically 100% grift.

edit- like the idea that it's incredibly advantageous to be highly specialized in residential trades is contrary to everything I've ever heard from people who still work in the trades. Independent electricians and plumbers are pretty much unheard of in my area unless it's just "I know a guy who moonlights" kind of stuff. Everyone is plumbing/HVAC/electrical because you can't afford to drive out and fix a leaky faucet unless you're going to sell someone a new AC system (with an annual service plan) for $20k.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Mar 15, 2024

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

Lol because that worked out so well for Goldman Sachs and led to a 4 billion loss. But I’m sure these guys are smarter.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Paradoxish posted:

Good points.

If you're any good at your job as a tradesperson, the best money is in industrial, then commercial, then residential multifamily and large housing developments. You can do good as someone with a pickup and a toolbox but unless the homeowner is also a good Construction Manager things can get really messy.

edit: I guess a tier between toolbox person and development person is 'midsize residential repair company' and that can be a mixed bag of experience. This still requires a keen homeowner to make sure things run smoothly.

ProfessorBooty has issued a correction as of 01:55 on Mar 15, 2024

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my wife just likes to mention to the guy in charge of the work that her husband is a civil engineer and that tends to smooth things out nicely

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

The real money is to get out of residential altogether, and that's hurting things far more than any nonsense about too many people learning to code instead of doing real manly man work.

The residential trades are and have been dominated by the same kind of small business tyrant that runs restaurants, and it's a highly adversarial field where homeowners are constantly trying to screw you and you're constantly trying to grift homeowners. It's the exact same trend I saw almost twenty years ago when I was very briefly in plumbing and it's only gotten drastically worse after 2020. It really has nothing to do with boomers retiring or anything other than stupid American capitalist bullshit.

Roofing and HVAC are by far the worst at this point and they're essentially fully sales-driven industries, to the point where it's hard to separate legitimate contractors from open scammers. Solar is basically 100% grift.

edit- like the idea that it's incredibly advantageous to be highly specialized in residential trades is contrary to everything I've ever heard from people who still work in the trades. Independent electricians and plumbers are pretty much unheard of in my area unless it's just "I know a guy who moonlights" kind of stuff. Everyone is plumbing/HVAC/electrical because you can't afford to drive out and fix a leaky faucet unless you're going to sell someone a new AC system (with an annual service plan) for $20k.
correct. good industrial and pw workers make good money and is a good job, all things considered. pw starting is $39/hr minimum wage, a lot of equipment operators clear six figgies -- which is good. if someone is in residential work then you ain't getting the best (because homeowners dont want to pay for the best) most of the time because no one sane would want to work for residential since both the bosses and likely the clients are going to be terrible

it's definitely not worth it to do small jobs, particularly since there's a XX% chance ms smith isn't even home on the agreed time (oh sorry i just had to run this errand and completely forgot!), or dont want to pay since they thought you were going to give them a 90% discount, or also want all this other work done and now you've blown a 2-4 hour window and an hour of driving.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i hafta be home all monday because the county's gotta come by and do an inspection

no hourly window, just "monday"

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i hafta be home all monday because the county's gotta come by and do an inspection

no hourly window, just "monday"

Thank you for your service

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
doing construction-adjacent work for the county sounds like it kicks way more rear end than actual trades