Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Yup. They even had a baby-sized urn ready to go.

The only reason Fuji didn't have to as well was because her grandpa is a mensch and pleaded with Toranaga using the "She's the only member of my family that's not a fuckup" argument.

babies are generally pretty incompetent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Goatse James Bond posted:

babies are generally pretty incompetent

The baby probably pissed all over Toranaga the first time Fuji showed him off to the court so he had to go too. Dude was like "gently caress that baby :hai:"

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
"the scene is WAY better in the books!" is often just gatekeeping dickery by people wanting recognition that their book fandom makes them super cool opposed to these show tourists who just don't understand, bro

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Book readers are desperate for everyone to know that they read the book.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Semisomnum posted:

Anna's library. It's got a pretty huge archive

Thank you, this is awesome

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There are also probably a million paperback copies scattered around used bookstores for a few dollars if anyone is looking for a physical book.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I'll have you know that I recently bought the books.

Because my well worn novel disappeared and only after I bought this whole collection did my friend say oh I still have yours, gonna give it back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like how they desperately wanted to show off Shogun so people know what to look for, so they put the books backwards.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Those books were photographed by an absolute psychopath.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They are definitely not stacked that way on my shelf lol

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Cojawfee posted:

The way I see it, the book rules, and the show rules, and book readers (or most of them anyway) are excited to talk about which version of certain events they liked better. Some people are definitely weird about it though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mossyfisk posted:

Those books were photographed by an absolute psychopath.

Yeah like maybe put the books in the correct order on the shelf so the spines make sense but pull Shogun out so you can see the cover

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mantle posted:

I'm watching this show because I remember seeing a library copy of Shogun at home in the 80s but I never read it.

My grandmother was totally obsessed with Shogun and the rest of the Asian Saga. She must've read those books a hundred times.

She also categorically would not allow me to read them when I was 10-12, and I sorta forgot about the whole thing until this thread.

Reading/watching in her memory :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vampire Panties posted:

Reading/watching in her memory :3:

Hell yeah, gonna watch the episodes again just for your Grandma (and also me :ssh:)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The way I see it, the book rules, and the show rules, and book readers (or most of them anyway) are excited to talk about which version of certain events they liked better. Some people are definitely weird about it though.

I meant more in general. The book readers in this thread have been fine. But for other shows, book readers will butt into speculative conversation with their bOoK kNoWlEdGe and it's really annoying.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

withak posted:

There are also probably a million paperback copies scattered around used bookstores for a few dollars if anyone is looking for a physical book.

It's been years since I was there, but Powell's in Portland had an entire shelf of Clavell's novels (those chunky spines are easy to spot from a distance. Same with the James Michener shelf) ranging from grandpa's old, taped-up, tobacco-stained 2nd edition hardback copy of Shogun for $2 to brand new paperbacks of all the books. That's where I got my untouched 1987 mass-market paperback of Whirlwind.

Any used bookstore is bound to have some copies.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 15, 2024

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
For the record I am a book reader and I am better than anyone who is not.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

It's one of the three novels I have ever read twice. (The other two being The Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye; make of that what you will.) First time I was 16, loved it. Second time I was 31, after I had read all the other Asian Saga books over the years, and still enjoyed it, but not as much. I think I got Clavell burnout after that. There's only so much Great Man historical fiction I can take. And I held off watching Shogun until I started hearing the hype for how good it was. I was not expecting much going in so I am very much pleasantly surprised and just how drat good they've made it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I said it before but if you like Shogun I always recommend you read Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa if you get the chance. It's a different tone but it's all about Hideyoshi, and it more or less leads directly into this time period. That's another one of my favorite works about this general time period.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I read Musahi, by the same author, about 10 years ago. It begins with the aftermath of Sekigahara, and runs from there -- sometimes running uphill in a storm as a way to cure a cold? I might be remembering that wrong. Anyway, good book. Though the serialization nature of its publication is kinda obvious. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It allows the reader to dip in and out if needed.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 15, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

It's one of the three novels I have ever read twice. (The other two being The Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye; make of that what you will.)

well i guess you have 33% acceptable taste

i loving despise holden caulfield

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Goatse James Bond posted:

well i guess you have 33% acceptable taste

i loving despise holden caulfield

Admittedly that one I read again because I had to read for high school, and rushed it. Second time around I still failed to see how deep Holden was supposed to be. Maybe that's the point?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haven't read the book, but I find it interesting to hear what's changed in the adaptation from fans of it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fujiko: I'm happy to hand Anjin's guns over to your third in command, once I'm out of ammo

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Toranaga: Shogun

Blackthorne: Show's goon

Fuji: Show gun

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Thread title please.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mariko: Shag goon

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The use of Japanese and amazing landscapes is sufficiently good to make me wonder how they could do Taipan well. To do it right you should film here in HK for at least a bit, and get tons of local actors. But I can’t believe a historical show portraying HK as a British colony and with a mostly sympathetic view of the British opium smuggler protagonist would get government approval to film. Technically we don’t have the same regime as the mainland but it’s a bit murky these days.

E: I would love to see them cast like Tony Leung as Jin Qua or sth though.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 15, 2024

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Semisomnum posted:

Do we still have to be coy about Blackthorne-like activities around here? Just in case: you guys should check out Anna's library. It's got a pretty huge archive

If I visit her library, how will I know which version is sanitized and which isn't? Is there a publication date that I can avoid?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol turns out ajiro village is in the studio parking lot. That's some incredible set and cg work

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Mordja posted:

Haven't read the book, but I find it interesting to hear what's changed in the adaptation from fans of it.

An interesting, and I think wise, choice the show made was to put the Taiko deathbed flashback at the start of episode two. In the book it happens much later.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arglebargle III posted:

Lol turns out ajiro village is in the studio parking lot. That's some incredible set and cg work

That's straight up amazing, holy poo poo :lol:

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

TraderStav posted:

If I visit her library, how will I know which version is sanitized and which isn't? Is there a publication date that I can avoid?

The only definite identifying feature I can find about the unedited version is a reddit comment that says it includes cutaway scenes to the families of the english prisoners. The poster who found it in their local library may be able to give you more useful identifiers like publisher and date. Best I can offer is that the Ateneum published hardback claims to be a first edition.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Beefeater1980 posted:

The use of Japanese and amazing landscapes is sufficiently good to make me wonder how they could do Taipan well. To do it right you should film here in HK for at least a bit, and get tons of local actors. But I can’t believe a historical show portraying HK as a British colony and with a mostly sympathetic view of the British opium smuggler protagonist would get government approval to film. Technically we don’t have the same regime as the mainland but it’s a bit murky these days.

I'm already mad that whoever they cast as Gordon Chen isn't stroking his giant hairs coming out of his mole.

They already cast the perfect Dirk Struan in the 1986 film though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Brown

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
This show is so drat good

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

Shōgun is probably the better literary work, but Tai-Pan has always been my favorite and if I get to see it on screen with the same quality as Shōgun, well, I don’t really have the words.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Is there a digital edition/kindle edition of this book where parts haven't been cut out for some weird reason by the publisher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

An interesting, and I think wise, choice the show made was to put the Taiko deathbed flashback at the start of episode two. In the book it happens much later.

so the Taiko- is that supposed to be Nobunaga?

This is maybe the first time I'm absorbing media about Sengoku/Edo Japan, that isn't primarily Japanese- super interesting to contrast to (generally pretty studious and accurate) manga and (balls-out wild and inaccurate) video games im more familiar with