Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So I didn't think anything of the UK/Aussie cartoons about the Kate Middleton photo, but a substack I read just did a interesting post on Where the hell is Kate Middleton?

Jeremiah Johnson posted:

Long time readers will know I write a lot about celebrity and social media PR campaigns. The core focus of this blog is analyzing the social internet, and while analyzing PR campaigns isn’t exactly the same, it’s definitely related. Good PR relies on being able to anticipate how the social media currents will react to a particular spin on events, and bad PR results from misreading how people will feel.

Whether it’s Reddit, Linus Tech Tips, Joe Jonas or Colleen Ballinger’s ukulele, I’m frequently amazed at how bad famous people and institutions are at basic PR strategy. Today we’re talking about one of the most famous institutions in the world, the British Royal Family, and how they’ve managed to create a massive PR crisis from out of literally nowhere.

Some of you may be thinking “I don’t care at all about the British Royal Family, what the hell is this post?” Buddy, I didn’t care much about the British Royal Family a week ago - but this is an absolutely bewildering rabbit hole to fall down. Trust me on this one and jump in to the conspiracy theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Rishi Sunak facing pressure to return Frank Hester’s £10m donation – The Tory party donor has been accused racism over his comments about Diane Abbott"

Telegraph:

Biden and Trump to face off in US election rematch

Matt:

Independent:

UK's Conservatives say the party's biggest donor made racist comments, but they will keep his money

Times:

Evening Standard:

Cheltenham Festival 2024: Race card, results, winners, schedule, weather and latest odds today

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

skeleton warrior posted:

Is it lucrative, though?

From its Wiki:

They're on season ten, so its earning someone something

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

Kellies Nomination: Best Overall
:lmao:

Kellies Nomination: Worst Overall
gently caress off Matt

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Skios posted:

Chris Britt

Kellies Nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrell. Not just because it's a speech bubble and some labels on a badly compressed image, but also because we're still two weeks out from Easter (three weeks if you're Orthodox).
hard disagree. i think the style enhances the message and creates a striking image

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'm just not sure what Jesus represents here and why he's nailed to democracy.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

That's Trump sure enough, always sprinting everywhere on foot while others trawl behind on electric carts.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

skeleton warrior posted:

Is it lucrative, though?

From its Wiki:

In comparison, the CBS Evening News with Norah O'Donnell averaged 4.83 million total viewers for the 2022-'23 TV season; Blue Bloods, the #1 Friday primetime program has 9.54 million viewers.

Last Week Tonight may have a huge number of Emmys, but that doesn't mean it's actually attractive to viewers and therefore advertisers because
Well LWT is on HBO, which has subscribers so it doesn’t rely on advertisers.

It does go on YouTube soon after it airs and I see the recent Boeing one has 4.5 million views. They probably do get some as revenue from YouTube I assume.

Edit: also it’s not prime time or on broadcast tv so I’m not sure comparing those other shows’ ratings is quite fair.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Nenonen posted:

I'm just not sure what Jesus represents here and why he's nailed to democracy.
obviously i can't speak for the creator but jesus did lose the popular vote.
so the cross represents the will of the people, jesus represents whatever messiah they put their faith in.

i just like the juxtaposition of the classical art style with the grudge and scrunge and degraded quality

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Katauskas:

Wilcox:

Home affairs minister Clare O'Neil. Several Palestinians left stranded, distressed after Australian visas suddenly cancelled (ABC).

Rowe:

Don’t expect a ‘big cash splash’ in this year’s budget, Jim Chalmers tells taxpayers (Guardian). The "Back in Black" mug was being sold as Liberal merch when in 2019 they proudly boasted they would hit a surplus next year (obv. didn't happen).

Knight:

Victorian premier Jacinta Allan, background is the Twelve Apostles rock stacks. Vic planning law change to fast-track renewable energy projects (Herald Sun).

Leak, Son of Leak:

(Liberal MP) Julian Leeser accuses Australian Human Rights Commission of failing to address antisemitism (Guardian).

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

1 posted:

That's Trump sure enough, always sprinting everywhere on foot while others trawl behind on electric carts.

He's very fast and agile for a 77-year-old obese man with bone spurs.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Adam Zyglis

Amjad Rasmi

Bob Englehart

Darrin Bell

Dave Whamond

David Horsey

David Horsey posted:

In this out-of-whack world, I would not be surprised if a corporate executive caught in criminal activity were to claim he was being unfairly targeted because cisgender white males are disproportionately represented among those being arrested for white-collar offenses.

But it would be absurd, right? Corporate leaders who end up in jail are nearly all white guys because nearly all corporate leaders are white guys. Similarly, there are more poor, marginalized people inclined to steal from a grocery store because they are poor and marginalized. That is not so hard to figure out, is it?

There is no question that various racial and economically disadvantaged groups have been abused or poorly served by the legal system or in public education throughout American history, but disproportionality is not, in all cases, an indication of bias, whether in policing, in our schools or in some other sector of our society. Sometimes, rather than proving bias, the numbers merely point to far larger problems.

Recently, a serious gap was identified between the number of white and Asian students successfully passing eighth-grade algebra in the San Francisco School District and the number of Black and Latino students who were doing poorly. Logic would suggest that greater efforts should be made to improve the performance of the Black and Latino kids. Instead, because it became an ideology-driven issue of disproportionality, the school district stopped teaching algebra to any eighth graders.

Talk about absurd.

Consider another example of faulty reasoning driven by ideological ardor. Here in Washington, there has been a push in the Legislature to drastically reduce, if not eliminate, enforcement of jaywalking laws because homeless people are disproportionately represented among those being cited for crossing streets in the wrong place or at the wrong time.

It does not seem to matter to those concerned about this disproportionality that homeless folks are also disproportionately represented among those being injured or killed in pedestrian accidents; they are more focused on their automatic assumption that the police are using jaywalking as an excuse to harass people stuck living out on the streets.

Countering that assumption, Renton police Chief Jon Schuldt said he reviewed all the jaywalking citations his officers issued in 2020 — a mere 24 in total — and found most of the jaywalkers were involved in other crimes or were wandering across extremely busy roads and posing a high risk for both drivers and for themselves. It seems the cops were just doing their job.

Simplistic accusations against police officers or teachers or other beleaguered public servants derived from disproportionality data may make activists feel righteous, but they do little to address the deep social ills that have arisen from the current wealth gap and from historic discrimination. Numbers seldom tell the whole tale.

David M. Hitch

1) Yes, that's a real thing that really happened.
2) Yeah, it's weird.
3) It was a fundraiser (and apparently a successful one).
4) It was more than one school.
5) Everyone involved volunteered.
6) Peanut butter was also involved. I hope they were careful about allergies.

Dick Wright

Drew Sheneman

Jack Ohman

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Stahler

Jimmy Margulies

John Darkow

Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher

Lee Judge

Lisa Benson

Marty Two Bulls

Matt Wuerker

Monte Wolverton

Paul Berge

Pedro X. Molina

Pia Guerra

Rick McKee

Rivers

Robert (R.J.) Matson

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Lalo Alcaraz

Clay Bennett

Jen Sorensen

Nick Anderson

Tom Tomorrow

Clay Jones

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I was going to complain about the Sorensen cartoon that EV makers are mandated to add sound to their cars for pedestrian safety, as normally the electric engines run so quietly it’s easy for people to not think about checking for traffic before walking into a street.

But no, no, having checked some news stories, it is literally car manufacturers adding the option of EVs making big loud vroom vroom sounds both outside and inside of the car on start up and acceleration.

Somewhere in Michigan, Henry Payne has a massive erection and he doesn’t know why

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

[

David Horsey

Horsey just can't help himself. Even when he makes a cartoon about corporate crimes he as to rant about the homeless. And jaywalking absolutely is a bullshit crime and not even illegal in most countries (including mine).

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: The Boss Told Me To Do It

Ted Rall posted:

With nearly 30,000 Palestinians killed by Israel and Gaza, America’s support for the Jewish state is being tested more than ever. Now the U.S. has found itself in the position of having to vote against a ceasefire resolution for the third time. Obviously this level of support is unsustainable given the ongoing genocide.

First Dog on the Moon: TikTok! Is it destroying the minds of a generation?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"Careful, if you start believing that 'mysterious energy weapons' are being used to start indirect fires and cause shortages in America's food supply chain, they'll call you a conspiracy theorist!"
oh yeah no poo poo?

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Trapezium Dave posted:

Knight:

Victorian premier Jacinta Allan, background is the Twelve Apostles rock stacks. Vic planning law change to fast-track renewable energy projects (Herald Sun).

Knight is right to criticise the real, or at least very likely, plan to build wind turbines on top of the Twelve Apostles.

Technowolf posted:

Clay Bennett

This is loving sad. Sad America. Sad, sad Americans liberals. :(

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Knight is right to criticise the real, or at least very likely, plan to build wind turbines on top of the Twelve Apostles.
Near, surely not on?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Alhazred posted:

Horsey just can't help himself. Even when he makes a cartoon about corporate crimes he as to rant about the homeless. And jaywalking absolutely is a bullshit crime and not even illegal in most countries (including mine).
If I'm ever arrested for this I like to think I'd say something like "did you just call me a jay you Irish-hating racist bastard"

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

:fuckyou: Kellies Nomination: Worst Gaslighting. Of course Branco would look at a company's years of cost cutting and malfeasance catching up to them and go 'the minorities did this'.

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Gary Markstein

Gary Varvel

Marshall Ramsey

Michael Ramirez

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

So, going by the metaphor here, it's no use closing the border because all the immigrants that would come in already have?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

So, going by the metaphor here, it's no use closing the border because all the immigrants that would come in already have?

Closing the border is like uninviting a vampire from your home they will all simply magically fly back to where they came from.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Man, they must be really, really nervous about the SotU address if they're still harping about it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This time the message is almost Prickly City levels of trite, but once again I like this guy's art. He's able to effortlessly convey situations and facial expressions with very simple linework.

Technowolf posted:

Jen Sorensen

I would assume they're being given fake engine sounds so people can hear them coming and not die from getting run over. Are these huge EVs even a thing? I don't think I've ever seen them in Europe. Just seems like an excuse to make a cartoon about 'fragile masculinity', but maybe it's a big trend in the US.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 15, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Phlegmish posted:

I would assume they're being given fake engine sounds so people can hear them coming and not die from getting run over. Are these huge EVs even a thing? I don't think I've ever seen them in Europe. Just seems like an excuse to make a cartoon about 'fragile masculinity', but maybe it's a big trend in the US.
The fake engine sounds is a thing Dodge announced just a few weeks ago, they will have actual exhaust pipes with some kind of baffle system that makes V8 sounds at like 120+ decibels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGAZkn11hcw

Yeah, fragile masculinity is a thing, 100% a thing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OK. I actually have no problem with that if it gets people on board. You know, as long as they're not fake-revving their engines anywhere near me

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Its a dodge, they will literally run down their batteries more by making fake revving sounds than they will by actually driving them. Especially at night when you are trying to sleep.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Somewhere, Henry Payne starts feeling mysteriously aroused.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

This infuriates me.

Kellies Nomination: Most Willfully Dense, Worst Gaslighting

Technowolf posted:

Jen Sorensen

The first panel IS a major safety issue with EVs though, and I'm speaking as someone who's wife owns an EV. They are so quiet that when driving through a parking lot, it gets drowned out by traffic 100 feet away. When it drives on gravel, the gravel drowns out the engine noise.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Great comic, now to take a big swig of water before I read Horsey's commentary.

Oh, now political cartoonists are worried about disinformation.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Some EVs make this sound like an eerie, unearthly approaching choir of angels. It always freaks me out when I'm walking and I hear this X-Files rear end sound.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

It's just another "Biden old" punchline but I actually really like the visual joke in this cartoon.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Randalor posted:

The first panel IS a major safety issue with EVs though, and I'm speaking as someone who's wife owns an EV. They are so quiet that when driving through a parking lot, it gets drowned out by traffic 100 feet away. When it drives on gravel, the gravel drowns out the engine noise.
This got addressed like three times on this page already, "high-decibel" is the key part of the sentence, they're talking about adding loud external and internal noises, louder than necessary for pedestrians, purely for the driver's satisfaction.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vib Rib posted:

This got addressed like three times on this page already, "high-decibel" is the key part of the sentence, they're talking about adding loud external and internal noises, louder than necessary for pedestrians, purely for the driver's satisfaction.

Oh no, not driver satisfaction.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
a majority of the house democrats voted for it to and no one is offering actual policy that would address the cl8mate crisis has it should be addressed

Technowolf posted:

Clay Bennett

yeah, that's pretty much it for what theyll offer us, god im in hell

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

120 decibels is really loving loud, equivalent to a gun shot or emergency vehicle sirens. Loud enough that continuous exposure can cause permanent hearing damage in less then a minute. If assholes want to put on headphones and blow our their eardrums, fine, go nuts. But having external speaker on cars blasting that noise for no reason is a public nuisance.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

DalaranJ posted:

Great comic, now to take a big swig of water before I read Horsey's commentary.

I read a Seattle Times article about the "Jaywalking debate" and even the somewhat Horsey-aligned newspaper mentions important things Horsey leaves out of his "Police are just doing their job to protect driver and pedestrian safety when they arrest people for jaywalking" concern trolling.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/homeless/jaywalking-debate-pits-safety-concerns-against-unnecessary-stops-of-homeless-people/

The Seattle Times posted:

The jaywalking report found that people of color are also disproportionately stopped for jaywalking. Black people receive a fifth of jaywalking tickets given in the state, despite making up 4% of the population.

Sara Rankin, a homelessness law expert at Seattle University, said that when homeless people are issued fines, it increases the likelihood of them staying homeless. Ignoring fines can turn into a misdemeanor over time, making it more difficult to get a job, or it can make someone ineligible for shelter, housing or other benefits.

“Giving people fines and fees that they can’t pay is sort of pointless,” Rankin said. “You have to ask yourself if the laws are serving a benefit other than as a tool of discrimination that’s designed to disappear undesirable folks.”

Also, Horsey's talk about San Francisco schools not offering algebra to students below 9th grade leaves out the funding and staffing issues San Francisco schools have (or had, as of September 2023 - I'm not sure where to find more up-to-date information).

https://sfstandard.com/2023/09/26/san-francisco-supervisor-algebra-eighth-graders/

The San Francisco Standard posted:

The school district continues to face multiple crises including payroll problems, large staffing vacancies, chronic absences and other issues. In response, district leadership has embarked on a listening tour and shaped academic goals with the Board of Education while also working to reshape its central office structure.

Why does an extremely wealthy city like San Francisco underfund its public schools and teachers so much? What the actual gently caress? Isn't that a more important and possibly causal question to ask then "Why no 8th grade algebra?"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The expense, not the reward, is the point of contention, and you know this. Why are you playing devil's advocate about this dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

This is very likely going to be the default conservative response to capitalism failing us from now on.