Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

And that's why you're just a redshirt and not a 4-star General :colbert:

Indeed.

Or maybe every SG mission has two SG teams, a lead team that has a dedicated purpose (which can vary). And a dedicated "Secure the Gate" team and this never varies. A team of 4 that comes on every mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

redshirt posted:

Indeed.

Or maybe every SG mission has two SG teams, a lead team that has a dedicated purpose (which can vary). And a dedicated "Secure the Gate" team and this never varies. A team of 4 that comes on every mission.

Didn't this happen on like, the first episode? Didn't work out so well for Kawalsky did it? DID IT?!?!

Clearly the answer is a full core of soldiers and interplanetary colonization. We must prove to the displaced peoples of Earth that we are better than the Gou'ald, in every way.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Didn't this happen on like, the first episode? Didn't work out so well for Kawalsky did it? DID IT?!?!

Clearly the answer is a full core of soldiers and interplanetary colonization. We must prove to the displaced peoples of Earth that we are better than the Gou'ald, in every way.

KOWALSKI!!!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

redshirt posted:

Indeed.

this just means that the SG mission is more detectable as the enemies inevitably find the gate guards. this is just a plan to kill off more kowalskis

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

this just means that the SG mission is more detectable as the enemies inevitably find the gate guards. this is just a plan to kill off more kowalskis

Whatever it takes

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

jack already goes through them like labradors

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

Just call them SG8 if you want. Christ!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

well why not posted:

Or kids

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Every SG Team is composed of the following: A Gate security team comprised of 4 team members. These team members will exhibit.... yadda yadda.

And then another 4 team members who vary based on the mission. I love the archeology teams like SG13.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Just dial the gate, shove a parcel full of hello kitty merch and heroin through, and instructions on how to dial the gamma site

The gamma site is where the Tauri trade heroin and hello kitty merch for naquada

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

getting selected for sg94 thinking im the team badass but i end up being the nerd with a zat

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

blatman posted:

getting selected for sg94 thinking im the team badass but i end up being the nerd with a zat

Isn't that one of the cool archeology teams?

I LOVE that archeology and mythology is such a central part of Stargate.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

redshirt posted:

Isn't that one of the cool archeology teams?

I LOVE that archeology and mythology is such a central part of Stargate.

i dunno i just picked a random number because i assumed sg42069 would be met with enough groans to show up on a seismograph

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

They wussed out by not doing Tok'ra Jesus

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

They wussed out by not doing Tok'ra Jesus

Wink Wink Jesus was an Ancient and ascended

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

getting kicked out of ascesnsion after 3 days lol

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

No, he just faked his death or hibernated for three days. The ascension happens after his resurrection.

I think him being a Goa'uld and the disciples being Jaffa ties in nicely with his fish symbology.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

How would you implement a mostly Gate based mass colonization effort?

You know, for example, 24-36 promising worlds. How would you be able to colonize any of them in short order? And I'm talking like bringing 300 people through the Gate at a time.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Are we assuming most of these worlds also resemble British Columbia?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

redshirt posted:

How would you implement a mostly Gate based mass colonization effort?

You know, for example, 24-36 promising worlds. How would you be able to colonize any of them in short order? And I'm talking like bringing 300 people through the Gate at a time.

train

yes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Of course. Bounteous worlds, lush with pine trees.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I mean of course each colony world has a Gate, so getting there is easy. But only so much you can ship through a gate. And from Earth, that's from the SGC - and like there's not a backlog there to go through the gate?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s open for 45 minutes and closed for a few seconds between windows.

Train

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

It’s open for 45 minutes and closed for a few seconds between windows.

Train

38 minutes come on now son.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

gently caress

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

gently caress

Yeah, you know this means you're like at SGC level 15 now. Well up the tower.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

well why not posted:

gently caress

That'll help colonize a world.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

redshirt posted:

Yeah, you know this means you're like at SGC level 15 now. Well up the tower.

I’ll never get to have a whole punched through me by a Jaffa stick, or get lasered by a character actor you might recognise from SVU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

I’ll never get to have a whole punched through me by a Jaffa stick, or get lasered by a character actor you might recognise from SVU

Never say never! But still, you could still fall ill to some alien pathogen or be mortally threatened in a Replicator attack.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

getting demoted to the guy wordlessly who hands Jack his P90

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

getting demoted to the guy wordlessly who hands Jack his P90

Good luck sir!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

you’re not meant to make eye contact with me

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

you’re not meant to make eye contact with me

Indeed

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

How soon can you start it up again after 38 minutes?

Starting from scratch you'd send in army engineers and similar qualified civilians as necessary. You build some out of the box modular buildings but then you move on to building stuff out of local materials. You also send along some one of those 3D printers that make houses out of concrete.

The hardest things to get are gonna be metals and plastics. So you'll need to try and colonize this place with people who are happy living in a pre-1900's society although you can easily have some creature comforts and luxuries like a generator or solar panels for a TV and fridge.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

How soon can you start it up again after 38 minutes?

Starting from scratch you'd send in army engineers and similar qualified civilians as necessary. You build some out of the box modular buildings but then you move on to building stuff out of local materials. You also send along some one of those 3D printers that make houses out of concrete.

The hardest things to get are gonna be metals and plastics. So you'll need to try and colonize this place with people who are happy living in a pre-1900's society although you can easily have some creature comforts and luxuries like a generator or solar panels for a TV and fridge.

As soon as you can dial and lock a connection

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The trick is to have the departing gate set at an angle so your colonists can slide into it, then have the receiving gate set on a rotating plinth that shoots them onto a ring of stuntman-style airbag landings. Time it right and you could send thousands per 38-minute window!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Find some barren resource-less planets and wire in some computer gizmos to their DHDs in order to remotely DDOS the gate of anyone that's causing trouble

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We could have 24, 36, 48 viable gate worlds, the real choke point is the Earth gate, in the SGC...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Colony gate will eventually need to be made mobile to get the most bang for your buck. Maybe some helicopters built from kits on the other side of the gate to carry the gate to new locations.

So you can drop off the gate near places you think you're going to drill for oil, where you think you want to build a refinery or factory, another town/city, etc. and all gate travel during its time at those new locations is built around sending people and supplies just for very specific goals rather than bottlenecking everyone at one location.

Moving the colony gate also allows you to dump massive amounts of start-up materials at key locations to speed up the expansion of self-sustaining infrastructure, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If you had a dedicated Colony gate on the Earth side, sure. But it's not. The SGC is a concrete and harsh place.