Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao, I lucked into an absurdly blessed first run of the final Moogle thing (which I was bold enough to do on Normal). Every awkward gently caress-up I made somehow moved me away from the various attacks/traps. Just stumbling between wind and bombs and bananas. Didn't get hit once.

Edit: lol at the cutscene afterwards. I think this is the happiest Cloud has been throughout the entirety of Remake and Rebirth.

Edit2: The journey ends there. Tifa, Aerith and company never heard from Cloud again

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

loling at the difficulty spike in Chapter 12. Went from not dying in this game at all to unable to even hit the boss a single time. I'm going to throw my PS5 out of a loving window.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Carmant posted:

loling at the difficulty spike in Chapter 12. Went from not dying in this game at all to unable to even hit the boss a single time. I'm going to throw my PS5 out of a loving window.

if you're talking about rufus, he does need a lot more finesse than any other boss you've fought up to that point, but remember you can tag him with cloud's blade beam (attack out of a dodge) to build ATB. since he doesn't hit that hard, that'll at least let you keep yourself healed as you learn his patterns

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

they want shady posted:

Something weird happened so I gotta ask, (beginning of chapter 13 spoilers) went to the northern village but decided to do the pirate treasures first since I got the warning that I couldn't go back if I disembarked and that sounded pretty final. Anyway, after clearing at least two of the four monster parties the game sort of froze like it was looking to go into a cutscene but after a few seconds it just let me move around like normal. Was Cait Sith supposed to chime in or something and the game's not dealing well with him not being there (tbf neither am I lol)?

Probably just a bug. My game full-on froze during a battle and I had to force-quit. Luckily it only happened once

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Oxxidation posted:

if you're talking about rufus, he does need a lot more finesse than any other boss you've fought up to that point, but remember you can tag him with cloud's blade beam (attack out of a dodge) to build ATB. since he doesn't hit that hard, that'll at least let you keep yourself healed as you learn his patterns

Man whoever thought to put a Bloody Crow of Cainhurst style fight in Rebirth is a mad genius.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Wtf how am I at almost 100hrs

Guess I’ve really Gon gaga for this game

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

General public service announcement:

“Restart from last checkpoint” is always the wrong choice, unless you’re in chapter 13/14 and want to back to before the point of no return

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Sockser posted:

General public service announcement:

“Restart from last checkpoint” is always the wrong choice, unless you’re in chapter 13/14 and want to back to before the point of no return

Thank you it's too late for me but I hope this will help someone else

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Who the gently caress designed this (final protorelic) Odin/Alexander fight. I've been trying to do this for four loving hours. It is an unending stream of bullshit.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Arist posted:

Who the gently caress designed this (final protorelic) Odin/Alexander fight. I've been trying to do this for four loving hours. It is an unending stream of bullshit.

I have a very well-developed bullshit sensor that allows me to bump down the difficulty from Dynamic to Easy completely conscious free, and this was one of the fights it tripped on.

The others were the mindflayer combat sim challenge and that one Golden Saucer fight with the worm that eats you

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chapter 11: Holy poo poo, Cloud straight up remembered Zack. That's new, right? Doesn't he not remember him until him and Tifa go into the lifestream in the OG?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Gongaga has to be one of the worst designed maps in an open game ever. A main reason why I dislike open map games is the time it takes to go from point A to point B without anything interesting happening. Now imagine if you are given the coordinates and the pathways going from point A to point B are hidden with height differences. The map is never clear on where to go unless you fast travel back to and try different points. I normally get every tower for each region along with each fight detail / proto relic bare minimum but gently caress this map design.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I tried one of the final protorelic fights and got wrecked then I saw that the recommended level for the quest is 70 so I peaced out and decided to save it for postgame.

Credits rolled. Game is loving great. Gonna suck waiting for the third one now

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

When I was 11 I played through ff7 with a friend multiple times. I’m 36 now and last night that same friend (who lived in another country for 15 years) was over watching me play rebirth while we laughed at how they adapted everything in costa del sol. This game is like made to cure millennial depression I think

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeesh, Odin was tough. Took like 8 tries.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Rabid Snake posted:

Gongaga has to be one of the worst designed maps in an open game ever. A main reason why I dislike open map games is the time it takes to go from point A to point B without anything interesting happening. Now imagine if you are given the coordinates and the pathways going from point A to point B are hidden with height differences. The map is never clear on where to go unless you fast travel back to and try different points. I normally get every tower for each region along with each fight detail / proto relic bare minimum but gently caress this map design.

Yeah, the mushroom paths were begging for some blatant UI signalling, like those lifestream wisps you see occasionally. Or at least markings on the map after you use each one. That made the Cosmo Canyon paths to specific hard to reach areas a lot easier to figure out.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Finally finished the game. Definitely a top tier game. I didn't find temple as bad as everyone was complaining, but I dobthink it could have handled the pacing slightly better than they did. Excited to see what they do for #3.

Gongaga was definitely the low point of the game, where it felt like they were padding it out. Probably mostly had to do with how poorly navigating around the jungle was, because looking at the map, it's a pretty linear zone in terms of doing all the world intel stuff.

Now to go back and get the final 7 johnny items.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 15, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought the story beats in Gongaga were good but I still haven't returned to even look at the towers lol

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Finished chapter 8.

Man, I liked the whole emotional core of Barret vs Dyne, but the whole 'now he has a giant junk arm for phase 3 because ???????' immediately followed by Palmer hopping out of his frog mech to spank his rear end at me was a bit much.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Odin is a hilarious fight, I was incredulous and the, uh, zen attack wiping me a minute in the first time, on lowest difficulty.

Then I died a few times remembering the posts itt saying "dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge" and still loving it up until I read a guide saying "the secret is to keep him interested. No really, make the fight entertaining to him" and then I promptly walloped him by just going full tilt.

What a fun fight, the guy is a beast but you can really go hog wild since there's no real trick except for getting gud.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

BisbyWorl posted:

Finished chapter 8.

Man, I liked the whole emotional core of Barret vs Dyne, but the whole 'now he has a giant junk arm for phase 3 because ???????' immediately followed by Palmer hopping out of his frog mech to spank his rear end at me was a bit much.

Hey Barret has picked up some pretty weird weapons over Remake and Rebirth with some skills on them, why can't the guy in your spoiler over the years he's been doing his thing?

Real talk, I thought the same thing a bit, they kinda nailed most of that scene and then had the big band of Shinra goons show up to get gunned down, Dyne gets shot up, Barret somehow is right next to him again but didn't get hit at all by any of this and then like yeah, big bombastic mech buggy chase with copious machine gun fire and the turks showing up kinda gives you a bit of whiplash.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah the Hojo scene in the original being “we’re on vacation” is one thing. This one having Hojo try to kill and capture you all and you let him go was kinda weird

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Finished chapter 8.

I didn't mind the big junk arm too much really, but Palmer was just too much tonal whiplash. That fight didn't really need to be in the game if that was really the best place they had to put it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The one plot point I felt was off was that they stopped red from killing hojo BC quite frankly what does leaving him alive even accomplish

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The one plot point I felt was off was that they stopped red from killing hojo BC quite frankly what does leaving him alive even accomplish

The way that makes sense to me is that killing a high-ranking Shinra exec in broad daylight in a crowded, Shinra-owned resort town would bring a load of poo poo down on them

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Eh like I can see that in hindsight but at the time it was infuriating to me

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's Rated T, main characters can only kill in self defense

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Classic idealistic fiction rule: villains must fall to their own mistakes, their greed, or by some other villain.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah the other thing about killing is that I think Rebirth is leaning pretty hard on what I like to call "Yakuza rules": it doesn't matter how many times you shoot someone with a gun or cleave them with a huge buster sword in combat, they didn't die unless you saw them die in a cutscene. Narratively, you're not actually killing most of the human enemies you fight. That's the only way reactions to things like Tifa stopping Cloud from killing the Shinra soldiers you just got done beating up early in Remake, or (Chapter 9 spoilers) Cloud actually killing a bunch of guys in a bloody rampage make sense.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Rebirth just thinks it is bad to murder defenceless people. Barret gunning down a bunch of folks chasing them on motorbike and afterwards saying "I hope Dyne would be proud of me" (because Dyne loves Shinra guys getting got) is fine and cool but Cloud executing shinra soldiers who are lying on the ground disarmed and moaning in pain is a bad move that is uncool.

And of course Aerith tells Red XIII to let Hojo go not because murdering Hojo is bad but because it is adapting an iconic strange moment of FF7 where Hojo just be hanging out in Costa del Sol and nobody cares or does anything. Rebirth adapts it into a main story scene and has the gang actually confront the evil scientist they all despise but it is still a scene mostly there for goofs (now with Johnny) and Hojo is able to exit with no trouble and only a light justification of "this isn't the right time for it".

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
To be fair, we the audience know that Hojo is directly responsible for things being so awful, but the party does not know that, they know he's a crazy evil scientist, but they don't know how deep the well goes at that point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

To be fair, we the audience know that Hojo is directly responsible for things being so awful, but the party does not know that, they know he's a crazy evil scientist, but they don't know how deep the well goes at that point.

Aerith got shown her mom's drat bones by the man.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

And Red's been stuck in his lab for who knows how long.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

And Red's been stuck in his lab for who knows how long.

I think it's only been about a year, in the old compilation stuff he was captured in the turk cellphone game in 0006 and FF7 starts in 0007

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

RatHat posted:

It's Rated T, main characters can only kill in self defense

This actually makes a lot of sense lol

Tbh I can't even be mad after ff16 where the tutorial basically killed the cool main character with a cut to black and a series of sickening cracking noises like yeah ok if I wanna play cards and have a bunch of talking dog bits I guess we can't go too far

Like sorry to ff16 likers itt if it seems like I post a lot about how bad it is but it's more that I didn't like it very much and it was my first ps5 game and then I played remake and then this game came out and it's night and day like a huge relief of pressure how much this is what I want out of a final fantasy game and completely and unambiguously justified me dropping a wad on a ps5

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 15, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I completely forgot the bit in og where hojo is just hanging out in costa del Sol lmao what a game. I think I actually like remake/rebirth more but holy poo poo it was an iconic comedic game

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there anything to actually explore in the (ch12 new open world area) Meridian Ocean or should I just beeline to the treasure hunt spots

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Beeline those spots then you'll get something that helps you find certain things easier that are unique to that area.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Beeline those spots then you'll get something that helps you find certain things easier that are unique to that area.

Alright, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Between now and last time I posted I got trapped in a battle of wits with the dog in corel trying to deckbuild while stoned and I'm not ashamed to admit he bested me more than once