Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
We're going to negotiate with Langara and have them constantly export supplies from their world to the colo...

No, scratch that: We'll just take over Langara. We can get that place to 1980s quality in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You'd move the gate to Iowa or some such, something wide open and flat. And then stage all sorts of material to be transported through the gate. My god, the Supply Chain negotations....

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

well why not posted:

I’ll never get to have a whole punched through me by a Jaffa stick, or get lasered by a character actor you might recognise from SVU

I looked it up and this is literally 20 people.

redshirt posted:

If you had a dedicated Colony gate on the Earth side, sure. But it's not. The SGC is a concrete and harsh place.

So you move the Stargate to New York or wherever you can get those things quickest.

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

redshirt posted:

You'd move the gate to Iowa or some such, something wide open and flat. And then stage all sorts of material to be transported through the gate. My god, the Supply Chain negotations....

Can we build some kind of magnetic levitation loop around this gate to accelerate payloads to relativistic speeds and dial in to hostile worlds just as the payload approaches the gate? Would that get around the need to blow up suns to kill goa'uld? I feel like blowing up a sun to kill one goa'uld imight be a bit wasteful...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A cool concept: you have a max 38 minute shipping window. You have to move as much material as you can through this small Gate. You are colonizing multiple worlds so there's a tight schedule. Chulak, Rylak, Sunti, Annorp.... Each shipping window is distinct and customized.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Throw the gate into a shipping warehouse. Teal'c is asked to do a series of commercials as the new "First Prime of Amazon"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Curtana posted:

Can we build some kind of magnetic levitation loop around this gate to accelerate payloads to relativistic speeds and dial in to hostile worlds just as the payload approaches the gate? Would that get around the need to blow up suns to kill goa'uld? I feel like blowing up a sun to kill one goa'uld imight be a bit wasteful...

Wait, what??

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

Throw the gate into a shipping warehouse. Teal'c is asked to do a series of commercials as the new "First Prime of Amazon"

"I will ship free."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

"I will ship free."

*Does Jaffa forearm handshake thing

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

Colony gate will eventually need to be made mobile to get the most bang for your buck. Maybe some helicopters built from kits on the other side of the gate to carry the gate to new locations.

So you can drop off the gate near places you think you're going to drill for oil, where you think you want to build a refinery or factory, another town/city, etc. and all gate travel during its time at those new locations is built around sending people and supplies just for very specific goals rather than bottlenecking everyone at one location.

Moving the colony gate also allows you to dump massive amounts of start-up materials at key locations to speed up the expansion of self-sustaining infrastructure, too.

You don't need to drill for oil if you have Naquadah generators. So the gate helicopter (gatecopter) could be electrified, powered by their own generator. It'd just be able to cruise around it's set path and barf out whatever the SGC can pump into the gate.

Curtana posted:

Carterposting

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just like marching convoys of soil and fungus

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

Carterposting

I love Carterposting, with all due respect, Sir.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

I love Carterposting, with all due respect, Sir.

Is it too early for a thread title?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is it too early for a thread title?

Wait, can I do that??

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

McSpanky posted:

The trick is to have the departing gate set at an angle so your colonists can slide into it, then have the receiving gate set on a rotating plinth that shoots them onto a ring of stuntman-style airbag landings. Time it right and you could send thousands per 38-minute window!

put the gate horizontal and suspend it over a giant version of one of those bouncy slides people use to escape airplanes

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Put the gate 10 feet underwater so it drains the ocean and everything is just floated towards it in big capsules which get dropped in the other world's ocean.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Do Asgard teleporters work through a gate? Has anyone ever tried? Because I'm picturing a gate opening up on an uninhabited world and suddenly *vwoosh* an entire prefab colony appears out of thin air.

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

Put the gate 10 feet underwater so it drains the ocean and everything is just floated towards it in big capsules which get dropped in the other world's ocean.

I think I remember an episode where they opened the gate to another stargate underwater, then used submersible vehicles to explore the other side. There was no flooding of the not submerged side then. Sorry. :/

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Do Asgard teleporters work through a gate? Has anyone ever tried? Because I'm picturing a gate opening up on an uninhabited world and suddenly *vwoosh* an entire prefab colony appears out of thin air.

Now, this? This is genius.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just walk people through it, if you allow 6 seconds per person thats 380 people per opening (minus half of a couple of dudes if there's any stragglers near the end) so you could have your settler team deployed in a day or so - the main hurdle is how many people can you fit in the gate room but you can just have a hellishly long DMV lineup stretching out past those guards who walk in front of the mountain door

then the receiving gate is overhead pointing down 10 feet though so everyone drops down like the start of a Lemmings level

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

blatman posted:

just walk people through it, if you allow 6 seconds per person thats 380 people per opening (minus half of a couple of dudes if there's any stragglers near the end) so you could have your settler team deployed in a day or so - the main hurdle is how many people can you fit in the gate room but you can just have a hellishly long DMV lineup stretching out past those guards who walk in front of the mountain door

then the receiving gate is overhead pointing down 10 feet though so everyone drops down like the start of a Lemmings level

Do you forget that the gate room ceiling opens? they airlift the gate at one point. It's an old missile silo.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

pixaal posted:

Do you forget that the gate room ceiling opens? they airlift the gate at one point. It's an old missile silo.

I considered dropping people through the roof hole into the gate but I kinda like the DMV line, they can eat jello cubes while they wait for their new lives colonizing P3W-451 or some poo poo

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

also you can tell the asgard are more highly advanced than we are because instead of jello cubes their entire diet is cubes

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

blatman posted:

I considered dropping people through the roof hole into the gate but I kinda like the DMV line, they can eat jello cubes while they wait for their new lives colonizing P3W-451 or some poo poo

Oh I'm thinking water slides

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

pixaal posted:

Oh I'm thinking water slides

see this here is a good idea because you can also send supplies down the same slides, once the colonists are deployed just roll a couple tractors and duffel bags full of those weird beef jerky sticks down the hatch

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Asgard transporter to gate site, gate through. Bing bong, done.

Still would have crazy planning to coordinate it all. Imagine colonizing 6 worlds that day and having to make sure every delivery is staged, complete, and ready to go.

Imagine the shitstorm when you gently caress up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

redshirt posted:

Still would have crazy planning to coordinate it all. Imagine colonizing 6 worlds that day and having to make sure every delivery is staged, complete, and ready to go.

Accidentally sending Baal 800 tons of grain.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

Accidentally sending Baal 800 tons of grain.

Baal! Buddy! It was a clerical error, we swear!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

With logistics experts you could keep gently caress ups to a minimum by having redundancies and back-up plans. Load G-46 is behind schedule? Well, G-47 is ready to go, so we'll do that one instead.

And once you got one world self-sufficient enough you can send the stuff from that world to another world, cutting Earth's gate out of the process.

Worlds are going to develop at different rates because of things like disruptions from seasons or tides or alien species that are like some kind of velociraptor centaur thing, so trade between them is inevitable.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

With logistics experts you could keep gently caress ups to a minimum by having redundancies and back-up plans. Load G-46 is behind schedule? Well, G-47 is ready to go, so we'll do that one instead.

And once you got one world self-sufficient enough you can send the stuff from that world to another world, cutting Earth's gate out of the process.

Worlds are going to develop at different rates because of things like disruptions from seasons or tides or alien species that are like some kind of velociraptor centaur thing, so trade between them is inevitable.

For sure. And eventually (and swiftly I'd hope) Earth's gate becomes a very limited use access point, and all logistics are handled from other sites. And ships. But the startup process will be intensive.

That said, I love that the show is clearly doing things in the background that we don't know about. Like the construction of all the ships. Or random offworld bases like that one with the stinging glow bugs.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

This would be the perfect set-up for the Gate X-com game, just rip off the first two Fallout plots. In the first one you are desperate to find a water chip, but in the second you find out another vault got thousands of them thanks to a hosed up deliveries.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Star-Chief Diner Gelsenkirchen, Germany (an American-themed diner)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Pfff... 6 chevrons? Where do they intend to dial with that measly gate?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Ah, P35-DFR! The Disney world.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I was at a local fish store the other day and they had a tank ornament shaped like a Stargate and it was on sale but $25 was a bit rich for me still. :(

https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/products/bioscape-stargate-portal-aquarium-ornament

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

I was at a local fish store the other day and they had a tank ornament shaped like a Stargate and it was on sale but $25 was a bit rich for me still. :(

https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/products/bioscape-stargate-portal-aquarium-ornament

Yeah, you gotta get the little DHD that bubbles, too.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I want SG24 and SG36 with me on this dangerous mission!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

You could get a slightly shorter but fully-featured one for about the same price but probably don't put batteries in it: amazon link

Maybe stuff the battery compartment with tungsten weights or something because it might float.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

FFT posted:

You could get a slightly shorter but fully-featured one for about the same price but probably don't put batteries in it: amazon link

Maybe stuff the battery compartment with tungsten weights or something because it might float.

That is apparently a bundle of unassembled wood parts that fit badly and you need to paint. And then it'd have to be carefully sealed against water. There are aquarium safe LEDs that could probably be swapped in but... No. too much effort for something that's gonna rot in an aquarium no matter what you do. Also we aquarium people use lead weights.

Lead exposure keeps me healthy. Mithridatism rules.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

I can see O'Neil putting this in the tank of a captured Goa'uld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I can see O'Neil putting this in the tank of a captured Goa'uld

O'Neil with the magnet of the "CHULAK WARRIORS"