Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah it certainly seems like all appliances and tools are now garbage and you're lucky if they last multiple years

with few exceptions... bosch and stihl come to mind... ive started buying ryobi tools that use their battery system and they seem decent but time will tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

skooma512 posted:

My fridge is having temperature control issues and pisses water from the defrost cycle in the freezer into the fridge part. Reviews note similar issues. I guess you can just sell whatever bullshit and you're expected to just buy new fridges every 3 years.

As was said, defrost the drain hole/pipe.

Unless, like me, you have a Lucky Goldstar french door fridge, in which case it's seemingly impossible to access it.

Jelly posted:

Facebook notified me it had removed one of my posts this morning. I was surprised to see said post was from six years ago in 2018. I copied the URL I posted into my search bar expecting to find some past hostile opinion on Republicans or cops but it was just an image gallery of a metal cutout of the Witch King for a firepit.

This happened to a buddy of mine today as well, but it was a bugs bunny sighing gif removed for being adult content. :wtc:

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

thathonkey posted:

yeah it certainly seems like all appliances and tools are now garbage and you're lucky if they last multiple years

with few exceptions... bosch and stihl come to mind... ive started buying ryobi tools that use their battery system and they seem decent but time will tell

Milwaukee and DeWalt are both still good and the tools themselves are reasonably priced for the quality, they just get you on the expensive rear end proprietary batteries that you have to buy full price from them unless you want a 50% chance of getting a counterfeit with half the amp hours and a propensity to catch fire.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
For refrigerators, Sharp makes some good ones that'll last awhile. They also make good-quality professional TVs that don't have the kind of bloat poo poo that everyone here keeps complaining about.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Here's a fun one!

(big image)

:psyduck:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

and yes I know the Yum Brands one is the fast food chain but that’s still dumb as hell

Lavender Spliffs
Nov 12, 2023

That might be bottled/canned vs fountain drink suppliers too.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cerekk posted:

Milwaukee and DeWalt are both still good and the tools themselves are reasonably priced for the quality, they just get you on the expensive rear end proprietary batteries that you have to buy full price from them unless you want a 50% chance of getting a counterfeit with half the amp hours and a propensity to catch fire.

yeah those are good. but they are more expensive than ryobi too afaik and i just need stuff for occasional small home projects, not a professional or anything. i do have some milwaukee drill bits that have lasted a long time now after running through a bunch of lovely ones in surprisingly short order given how infrequently i actually need to drill stuff

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

thathonkey posted:

yeah those are good. but they are more expensive than ryobi too afaik and i just need stuff for occasional small home projects, not a professional or anything. i do have some milwaukee drill bits that have lasted a long time now after running through a bunch of lovely ones in surprisingly short order given how infrequently i actually need to drill stuff

Ryobi is solid for homeowner level stuff.

I expect them to start making super lovely tools as soon as enough people are locked into their battery ecosystem.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I worked for a soda company years ago and soda rights and ownership are weird like that. It’s more of a regional rights thing than anything. Like, the company I worked for made Cadbury Schweppes items (including A&W free of the owners in that diagram) and had the rights to make bag-in-box Dr. Pepper for soda fountains, but we weren’t allowed to manufacture and sell Dr. Pepper outright since we didn’t have the ownership rights; only Coca-Cola could in our region (and now it seems like Keurig owns Dr. Pepper lol).

In other words (and I’m just making this up as an example), PepsiCo could hold the rights to make A&W west of the Mississippi and Kraft could hold the rights to make A&W east of the Mississippi, and you can’t sell neither company’s product in the other market.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I had been using NordVPN for the longest time just due to laziness but recently they stuck a loving ad in my right click menu for some file sharing bullshit of their's so I canceled and uninstalled that poo poo immediately.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

skooma512 posted:

My fridge is having temperature control issues and pisses water from the defrost cycle in the freezer into the fridge part. Reviews note similar issues. I guess you can just sell whatever bullshit and you're expected to just buy new fridges every 3 years.

Alternator replaced in my car a year or two ago. Throws charge system errors and battery lights. Hell if I know what kind of warranty applies or does not. I guess you can just sell whatever and you're expected to just buy another 300 dollar part in 2 years.

Last year our freezer died, I panic bought a huge rear end chest freezer from the 1980s. It was actually still working.

Anyway we still haven't bought a new freezer for the kitchen (its been cleaned out and used as a pantry now), instead we have two chest freezers. A small relatively modern one and this ancient beast gives us so much freezer space.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bossy lady posted:

Are you going to upgrade to Microsoft Jelq?

R U sure U want to switch to Chrome??

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lavender Spliffs posted:

That might be bottled/canned vs fountain drink suppliers too.

I think it's a regional thing. A&W here in Canada split from A&W in the US long ago. And Yum Brands is definitely a thing here in Canada, so the Pepsico branch might be the Canadian (and overseas) brands.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MrTargetPractice posted:

I had been using NordVPN for the longest time just due to laziness but recently they stuck a loving ad in my right click menu for some file sharing bullshit of their's so I canceled and uninstalled that poo poo immediately.

Try Mullvad

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

MrTargetPractice posted:

I had a similar experience. nordvpn is bottom tier shady rear end garbage and always had been. They have an extremely effective model getting mid-tier social media/influencer sponsorship (of which the late lowtax belonged to) and monitoring on sites like reddit and hacker news to immediately quell outrage and maintain image. Couple that with the fact the VPN "review" market is nothing but paid shills. I moved to protonvpn and questioned why I stuck with Nord for so long. I wouldn't be surprised if they used a model of "this person just paid for 35 years up front, so now we can gently caress with them"

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I always assume any product hawked by youtubers/podcasters/influencer is of mediocre or poor quality. For as much as they talk about "cutting out the middleman and giving you the high quality without markup!" they sure spend a lot of money on advertising.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cutting out the middleman is an entirely bullshit talking point that's only used by scammers and dropshippers. Using "middlemen" is how actual businesses achieve efficiency through economies of scale.

And yes, anything advertised in YouTube videos or by streamers is at best garbage and at worst actively dangerous.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i would suggest to see if your vpn provider offers configs/support for the openvpn client instead of using their own. that should limit their ability to enshittify their own service to some extent. if they dont let you use openvpn find one that does.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

thathonkey posted:

i would suggest to see if your vpn provider offers configs/support for the openvpn client instead of using their own. that should limit their ability to enshittify their own service to some extent. if they dont let you use openvpn find one that does.

This is a good tip and pretty much all of them do as far as I've researched, including nord. Even if the interface is clean I'd still feel gross giving them money. There's also some security consideration to be made about locking in to any given VPN protocol, but I'm not smart enough to answer that

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mullvad is the only VPN I ever tried and it worked great with no bullshit. You know they're legit because they don't do scammy podcast/youtuber ads.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Makita supremacy, go team teal
:hmmyes:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
For nord specifically the logic is simple: there's no possible way the company could afford to advertise as much as it does while still providing the service it promises without a whole bunch of extra money coming from shady places

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I just assume all publically available VPNs receive funding from the NSA or CIA in exchange for access to all the traffic.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And I assume the CIA doesn't particularly care if I'm seeding The Goofy Movie

E: though they DID roast bin Laden over his filez.. Concerning

Vvvv
Torrents and bypassing geolock for the Criterion Channel

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I’m gonna ask the evergreen question - why are you using a VPN (like nord or proton)? If the answer isn’t bypassing geo blocks for Netflix or maybe torrent stuff, you’re probably doing it wrong.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

credburn posted:

I downloaded from the 2001 version of the darkweb (a geocities page with lots of 3D skulls and fire gifs) a guide on how to make my penis bigger. It's the single time I've ever read that word until now.

Did it work?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

rafikki posted:

I’m gonna ask the evergreen question - why are you using a VPN (like nord or proton)? If the answer isn’t bypassing geo blocks for Netflix or maybe torrent stuff, you’re probably doing it wrong.

Good question. I'd like to know this answer too.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I signed up for PIA VPN when I had to live in China many years ago and it auto-renewed and I forgot about it and now I use it because it just seems like a very small way to make Comcast know a little less about me? Doesn't seem to make anything worse at least.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

redshirt posted:

:filez: for me

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Pirates!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

redshirt posted:

Because I loooove piracy, and a VPN subscription is probably now like half the price of one streaming service anyway. Also, one time I used it in Turkey to get around a blocked website and it made me feel like a freedom fighter.

Mozi posted:

I signed up for PIA VPN when I had to live in China many years ago and it auto-renewed and I forgot about it and now I use it because it just seems like a very small way to make Comcast know a little less about me? Doesn't seem to make anything worse at least.

What is the situation with VPNs in China by the way? Is it something you'd get in trouble for by itself, or is it more a way to rack up charges if you're already doing something else illegal?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
This was over a decade ago, back then it was pretty much expected that foreigners would use VPNs I think. I'm not sure if it's as easy these days.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I stopped using a VPN in like 2014. Nobody cares about bothering to monitor torrents anymore because only old people use them, and if something is geoblocked on a streaming service I'll get it somewhere else.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Android's March 5th "security" update has hosed with icon spacing again, spreading out my app drawer to the point where the icons at the bottom of the screen are almost a half inch lower than they were, and I can see one fewer row of icons on my Pixel 5a.

Why is this bundled in a "security" update? They did this last year too, around the same time, and ultimately reverted. Updates labeled "Security" should not affect the UI, full stop. If there was an alternative to Android and Apple that wasn't constantly changing the UI with absolutely no control I'd make the switch today.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rochallor posted:

Because I loooove piracy, and a VPN subscription is probably now like half the price of one streaming service anyway. Also, one time I used it in Turkey to get around a blocked website and it made me feel like a freedom fighter.

During the Gezi protests people were painting IP addresses on walls

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Microsoft is stuffing pop-up ads into Google Chrome on Windows again

Oh yeah, that’ll work.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I accidentally clicked one of these and it launched the Edge startup that I assume was just going to change my settings to make Edge my default browser. Couldn't even close it through normal methods, had to launch the task manager to get it to go away.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
VPN doesnt reliably get around geoblocks anymore for me (PIA at least)... i think they figure out the IPs they use and block based on that or maybe some more advanced technique

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

thathonkey posted:

VPN doesnt reliably get around geoblocks anymore for me (PIA at least)... i think they figure out the IPs they use and block based on that or maybe some more advanced technique

Reddit seems to block VPNs outright now. “We see you’re using a VPN. Kick rocks.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Dip Viscous posted:

I stopped using a VPN in like 2014. Nobody cares about bothering to monitor torrents anymore because only old people use them, and if something is geoblocked on a streaming service I'll get it somewhere else.

I don't pirate like I did when I was a kid, but I did three or four times over the last couple years, and I've never received a warning or threat. Do they only do that if you don't do it frequently? I mean, I made no attempt to hide it. Just got on Firefox, went to piratebay, downloaded some collections of films and television series. Enough that I would assume, if there were any monitoring going on, it would trigger it.

Outrail posted:

Did it work?

Only too well, I say as I strap my giant penis to a wheeled support cradle so I can get around.