Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1TlM0c15UI

There it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Stop giving Notre Dame carve outs in CFB things

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hell, stop putting Notre Dame on television.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why should Notre Dame not have the same access to at-large bids as any other team that didn’t win a conference title?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
^^ I think they should, but they should also not get guaranteed money from the playoff and only get cash if they make it.

C. Everett Koop posted:

I don't see how you could do five weeks unless it starts the week after the conference championships and Army/Navy are willing to move off the date. You need to have the championship game done before the NFL season wraps now that the NFL is willing to hold a Playoff game on MNF. Looking ahead to 2016, you'd have conference championships on 12/4-5, Army/Navy on 12/12, and then four straight weeks of playoffs to finish on 1/11/27. If you start any later you run into the NFL postseason.

Either college would have to fully start the week before Labor Day and the conference championships would need to be Thanksgiving week to have a five-week playoff, or you'd have to convince the NFL to give up a playoff MNF game. I don't see either happening.

Next year, the championship is going to be Monday the 20th. College is already extending into the NFL playoff.

Maybe in 2026, we get the college championship on the Saturday (as it should be) of pro bowl weekend. Only weekend that is going to be hard to get the NFL to share is wildcard weekend. Otherwise, they max out at 4 games and the 5 week playoff also maxes out at 4 games per weekend.

Superbowl 2027 is on Feb 14th. So 5 week college playoff could be 2 games on Dec 19th, 4 on the 1st, 4 on the 9th, 2 on the 23rd, and 1 on Feb 6th. That only shares 1 weekend with any NFL playoff games, needing to find 2 time slots vs the NFL's divisional round and those 4 games.

I bet they do something similar, anyway, if they go with a 4 week playoff, just skipping the game on the 9th or playing the semi's on the 9th and the championship on the 23rd or 30th.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Just do a 6 game regular season and a 64-team playoff at this point, who gives a poo poo.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Gonz posted:

Hell, stop putting Notre Dame on television.

Harsh but fair

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The only places people should be exposed to Notre Dame football is through box scores in a newspaper.

Or possibly on the radio.

Or word of mouth.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

The only places people should be exposed to Notre Dame football is through box scores in a newspaper.

Or possibly on the radio.

Or word of mouth.

Box score recited from the lectern during mass

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

General Dog posted:

Just do a 6 game regular season and a 64-team playoff at this point, who gives a poo poo.

If you make every playoff game its own bowl game I'd totally be on board with this.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
If they expand the playoff far enough Notre Dame may actually win a game.

Bama always got the benefit of the doubt under Saban and then almost always annoyingly proved that they deserved it. Notre Dame always gets it then proves that under no circumstances do they ever deserve it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Give ND the #5 seed so we can laugh when they lose to the #12 seed every year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spacemonkey57 posted:

If they expand the playoff far enough Notre Dame may actually win a game.

Bama always got the benefit of the doubt under Saban and then almost always annoyingly proved that they deserved it. Notre Dame always gets it then proves that under no circumstances do they ever deserve it.

Go ahead and point to the year where Notre Dame's inclusion in the playoff field was questionable. With the possible exception of 2020-21, I don't think there was a single season where they made the 4-team playoff or BCS NCG where let's say, Virginia Tech wouldn't have been included with the same resume.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 15, 2024

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

tactlessbastard posted:

This just reminded me of the priest at my church back home that would bless the Steelers, pray for both teams to avoid injury, and subtly make a pick against the spread.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

Why should Notre Dame not have the same access to at-large bids as any other team that didn’t win a conference title?

They should but thats not the same thing as giving them any shares as if they were a conference, or more than the other independents

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

I was raised Catholic growing up and I always liked when Notre Dame played at the 3:30 timeslot and Father Ray was doing the Saturday 5:00 mass my dad insisted we go to every loving week.

Because he would wrap that poo poo up fast so he could get back to watching the game.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I was raised Catholic growing up and I always liked when Notre Dame played at the 3:30 timeslot and Father Ray was doing the Saturday 5:00 mass my dad insisted we go to every loving week.

Because he would wrap that poo poo up fast so he could get back to watching the game.

this stupid poo poo kicked rear end yeah

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
In high school I started going to a church across town because the priest would get us out of there in ~40 minutes. Turbo mode! Then in college I discovered the magic of never going to church ever again.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Seaniqua posted:

Then in college I discovered the magic of never going to church ever again.

When I was in high school we'd have marching band competitions on Saturday nights, so my dad would go to mass then (Because why would he alter HIS routine?) and my mom and I pinkie swore that we'd go to mass on Sunday morning... We'd go to the bookstore instead.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

General Dog posted:

Go ahead and point to the year where Notre Dame's inclusion in the playoff field was questionable. With the possible exception of 2020-21, I don't think there was a single season where they made the 4-team playoff or BCS NCG where let's say, Virginia Tech wouldn't have been included with the same resume.

I think Notre Dame h8erz like myself think more drastically, as in – 2018 Notre Dame shouldn't have been invited, because gently caress em, everyone knew they were getting blown out.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Right, that’s kind of the root of it. Nested inside of cases against Notre Dame nominally stating “the committee always gives Notre Dame the benefit of the doubt” is actually a criticism that the committee doesn’t penalize Notre Dame year to year based on past performance.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

if notre dame was looked at objectively (generally top third of the acc, sometimes at the top) people wouldn't care so much about them

but they've also done it to themselves by not joining a conference and making themselves special snowflakes that have to receive special accommodations despite being acc members in all but name

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Notre Dame doesn’t have a responsibility to change while the world changes around them. No one does.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Form the super league but don't let Notre Dame in. They can form their own league with liberty or something

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Form the super league but don't let Notre Dame in. They can form their own league with liberty or something

I would finally start pulling for Notre Dame

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 16, 2024

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

no one deserves having to acknowledge liberty

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

Notre Dame doesn’t have a responsibility to change while the world changes around them. No one does.

This is it. The most GD post. Purestrain. It’s beautiful.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

D.N. Nation posted:

I think Notre Dame h8erz like myself think more drastically, as in – 2018 Notre Dame shouldn't have been invited, because gently caress em, everyone knew they were getting blown out.

As opposed to the title game for the 2012 season, where we knew they shouldn't have been invited but loved that they were anyway because literally all of America except the ND fanbase knew they were going to get smeared to a thin paste by that Crimson Tide squad.

That might be my favorite football game of all time. I've never had my hater itch scratched so effectively.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

It got even better afterwards too, because two weeks later Deadspin broke the Lennay Kekua story and then ND had the whole year's record vacated for ineligible players too

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GD_American posted:

As opposed to the title game for the 2012 season, where we knew they shouldn't have been invited but loved that they were anyway because literally all of America except the ND fanbase knew they were going to get smeared to a thin paste by that Crimson Tide squad.

That might be my favorite football game of all time. I've never had my hater itch scratched so effectively.

:yeah:

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

There are effectively no rules to NIL, right? Can I go straight to an athlete with a marketing proposition? Do I have to inform the athletic department or any authority connected to the NCAA or university?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ope

https://twitter.com/freep/status/1769064598286545399?s=20
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...ch/72999772007/

Juwan Howard got shitcanned today as well.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

General Dog posted:

Oh my god GD, this is purely a wrong opinion

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I agree that Notre Dame should continue to pretend it’s the 70’s and 80’s and never change their program to succeed in the 2020s.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gonz posted:

I agree that Notre Dame should continue to pretend it’s the 70’s and 80’s and never change their program to succeed in the 2020s.

i have good news

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

At this point it would be funnier to watch Notre Dame win the championship because of how mad it would make everyone

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

I fully agree with this Notre Dame can do whatever the gently caress they want

I am saying it is time we stopped indulging them in doing so. by doing things like giving them special extra money and such. You wanna be independent? Fine, you get the same money UConn etc do

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Alaois posted:

At this point it would be funnier to watch Notre Dame win the championship because of how mad it would make everyone

No way, we already suffered through a Michigan win

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Komet posted:

No way, we already suffered through a Michigan win

Komet, I respectfully disagree.

I think this is extremely cool.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

General Dog posted:

Alabama doesn’t have a responsibility to change its education system while the world changes around them. No one does.