Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The sim refinery story is actually pretty fascinating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
if I were to suddenly have the urge to play a jrpg after many years of not playing one (FFX being the last one I've played and didn't finish due to a unfortunate scratch on the disc that broke the game) and generally being a noob to the genre, what would be the quintessential game to reintroduce me to the genre that is available across modern platforms?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Yet she is still canonized as a Saint by the catholic church for her intercessionary power to teach typing. It's a funny world.
no that's Mario

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

when I was a kid the school computers had SimTown and SimFarm but I was always obsessed with SimTower
that one was made by a studio in japan (by the future creator of seaman, no less) and there were some sequels here and there.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Spore was fun. Just as a series of creators, though.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Mavis Beacon was not a real person

the IDEA of mavis beacon is more valuable than the reality of mavis beacon

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The sim refinery story is actually pretty fascinating

yeah it’s wild

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Kins posted:

that one was made by a studio in japan (by the future creator of seaman, no less) and there were some sequels here and there.

yoot tower was great iirc yoot saito was the guy who did SimTower so it really is a straight sequel in all but name

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

if you hold ctrl+alt+shift when starting your tower in ST you get a fancy 3-story lobby with spiral staircases

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I remember Sim Tower being cool, but I think it's hard to play on modern hardware. I got into Tiny Tower when it first released because it reminded me of a dumbed down version, lol

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Dick Bastardly posted:

if I were to suddenly have the urge to play a jrpg after many years of not playing one (FFX being the last one I've played and didn't finish due to a unfortunate scratch on the disc that broke the game) and generally being a noob to the genre, what would be the quintessential game to reintroduce me to the genre that is available across modern platforms?

Honkai Star Rail is free if you can avoid the urge to pay for the Gacha part, Trails in the Sky is on Steam and will run on anything, on Switch there’s Xenoblade 3 or the newer FE games, SMT V is great even though it has some issues and will soon be on everything.

I could keep going there’s a billion, just pick what seems interesting and most of it is pretty good.

Edit: I have no way to play it yet but I bet that Persona 3 remake would be something to look into as well.

TheMightyBoops has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Mar 15, 2024

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Antivehicular posted:

I love every video game bugfix that's like "it crashes the game when X does Y, and we couldn't figure out why, so we just made X stop doing Y, bing bong fixed"

it's less a thing these days because you can patch games without a ton of effort or money (aside from actually doing the fixes) but yeah this was always the way when you get to the end. there's no honor when you're trying to get a submission build out. any feature that looks at you funny gets cut

we had a funny one on stranglehold, it wouldn't have affected ship but it came up during development a bunch. when a client joins a server in a UE3 game, the server sends a list of packages the client should load. for a game that doesn't support mods and stuff this was probably unnecessary but we weren't gonna change it. on the client side we'd print out the package hash which got formatted in a way that could include a % sign character for some reason. every once in a while it would include a % sign and then a lowercase n, and despite the fact that we were doing this properly and printf'ing it with a %s first, PS3's sprintf or something like that would still try to do the %n behavior so it would write to some random unspecified address and almost certainly crash. the fix was to comment out the log print until the next day when that package had been changed and had a different hash that didn't have a %n in it. this probably cropped up like 5 times

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dick Bastardly posted:

How about FFX.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Dick Bastardly posted:

DQXI

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Oh wait yeah just play DQ 11.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah this is the best suggestion tbh

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I caught a big catfish last night

Pretty sweet

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This. Almost any Dragon Quest game would work probably but 11 is the best recommendation

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hey it's 40% off on steam at the mo

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

hey it's 40% off on steam at the mo

I've only played the original PS4 version so the biggest question for me is: Steam or Switch??

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
pet the catfish

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've only played the original PS4 version so the biggest question for me is: Steam or Switch??

The Switch version looks a little blurry sometimes I did actually rebuy it on ps4 when it went on sale, but the Switch version plays fine and looks fine for the most part. It’s worth it for portable if you don’t have a Steam deck.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the money i save on the steam version rather than the switch version can go towards a steam deck, is my thinking

admittedly i will have to take this approach for a large number of games for it to pan out successfully

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

what's the issue with the music in dq11 again? like some of it is synthesized but there's also versions with an orchestrated soundtrack?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the money i save on the steam version rather than the switch version can go towards a steam deck, is my thinking

admittedly i will have to take this approach for a large number of games for it to pan out successfully

Or you can buy Train Simulator 2022 with all DLCs.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Southern Cassowary posted:

what's the issue with the music in dq11 again? like some of it is synthesized but there's also versions with an orchestrated soundtrack?

The base version for ps4 and PC use synths. The Switch and re-released PS4/PC versions use orchestral.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

It has kind of an annoying battle theme imo otherwise the soundtrack seemed ok. All the versions for sale now have both of orchestrated and midi soundtracks you can swap between.

Edit *as long as you don’t buy a physical version of the vanilla game.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

The answer to: "What's the issue with <major issue> in Dragon Quest #?" is usually, "it's a longstanding tradition within the franchise" but beyond that, dont worry about it too much and enjoy the symphony tracks. Needless to say, it's been more or less resolved. :whitewater:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also it's not a big deal but it is annoying that the re-release uses the Switch version as a base so it looks worse than the OG PS4/PC versions on all platforms. Not majorly at least though.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Dick Bastardly posted:

DQ7 on PSX

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

yeah i played the base version when it hit steam and remembered something about that

for 24 bucks on steam the rerelease is a no brainer

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The midi music is actually kinda funny, the orchestrated soundtrack I sorta just ignore, but the sound font they picked for the OG music is goofy.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

The midi music is actually kinda funny, the orchestrated soundtrack I sorta just ignore, but the sound font they picked for the OG music is goofy.

It was intentional, the composer used lovely sound font so he could better sell orchestral arrangement CDs and concert tickets lol.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It was intentional, the composer used lovely sound font so he could better sell orchestral arrangement CDs and concert tickets lol.

And then he died. Great job idiot!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the most basic of skill issues

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

ended up making more charming work that way than his circus world symphonies

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMcJ5181kGI

:banjo:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like the orchestral versions and i think everyone's favorite war criminal composer was basically always writing for a symphony more than for the chiptunes, like moreso than Nobuo Uematsu at least.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I just picked it up for steam deck, can’t wait to lay in bed playing it all night, instead of sleeping like a normal adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

don't let salmo get his bread, or he might be rich, but we'll all be dead...