Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Weka posted:

He's bald and has a certain nervous energy, he yells a lot. And he looks like him

I find it funny that Morrison managed to rewrite Napoleon HIll's book into "Think and Grow Rich while jerking off", turning it into a whole magic system, rather than just a 1930's con artist's get rich quick scheme. Fun comic writer, though sometimes way too far up their own rear end

And speaking of getting rich:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

i say swears online posted:

i'm a gummint employee and if like two people in my department up and died over the weekend, i don't even think we could find the spreadsheets necessary to keep the property tax system from collapsing

there's so much institutional knowledge here it's crazy

This works in your favour. Don't train anyone else. Don't document.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bald Stalin posted:

This works in your favour. Don't train anyone else. Don't document.

19.5 years left until a pension, baby. i'm never leaving

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

i'm a gummint employee and if like two people in my department up and died over the weekend, i don't even think we could find the spreadsheets necessary to keep the property tax system from collapsing

I worked in a similar capacity. We had one of these guys get in an accident which caused him to be in the hospital for a few months, effectively stopping the whole process for a while. I think it took five years after that to decide to work on a solution that was not fully dependent on that guy.

On the flip side, he was the only non C level guy with his own office, and his pay negotiations were probably really fun. He also decided to ignore direct orders sometimes, because what were they gonna do?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Good thing you don't live somewhere where people have too many guns, hate property taxes, and hate the government!

I've worked for huge banks over the past decade and still do, and you wouldn't believe how many problems are caused by extra characters in text files that we send/receive daily. The entire banking system is carried by software that counts characters in files.

And don't even get me started on bank fraud. I've seen social security checks that looked like MS Paint hackjobs with wrong font type and font size and jpg artifacts out the rear end make it through and get deposited. Some people might think fraudsters are super sophisticated and using crazy tools, but that's simply not true. And the tools used to detect fraud aren't super sophisticated either. It's hacked together solutions on all sides.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

poemdexter posted:

Good thing you don't live somewhere where people have too many guns, hate property taxes, and hate the government!

I've worked for huge banks over the past decade and still do, and you wouldn't believe how many problems are caused by extra characters in text files that we send/receive daily. The entire banking system is carried by software that counts characters in files.

And don't even get me started on bank fraud. I've seen social security checks that looked like MS Paint hackjobs with wrong font type and font size and jpg artifacts out the rear end make it through and get deposited. Some people might think fraudsters are super sophisticated and using crazy tools, but that's simply not true. And the tools used to detect fraud aren't super sophisticated either. It's hacked together solutions on all sides.

I had a rent check stolen when somebody got my landlord's mail and MFer just wrote his own name on the back and whatever bank he took it to didn't even care I guess.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

lobster shirt posted:

i dont know if they have since replaced it (god i hope so) but i used to work for a gigantic company you have heard of and they had a mission critical internally developed system that ran on microsoft server 2003 and you had to log into it from a virtual machine for some reason. incredible stuff.

As recently as 2016 the largest Danish union, 3F, used proprietary software that only ran on Windows XP.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

poemdexter posted:

the only thing texans hate more than property taxes is an income tax. would take a repeal of a constitutional amendment and then a popular vote to enact one

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I found the Goku to Rachel Dolezal's Vegeta:

https://twitter.com/MissSassbox/status/1768584283784904755?s=20

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

lmao

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

*record scratch*

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
*Rachel Dolezal, balling up her fists*: "Now I'm going to have to train twice as hard to surpass Blackarot!"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's me in the dashiki

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

that's me in the dashiki

that's me with the
fake tits
losing my ethnicity

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hahahahahhaha

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

One More Fat Nerd posted:

*Rachel Dolezal, balling up her fists*: "Now I'm going to have to train twice as hard to surpass Blackarot!"

lol

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

is the guy from doctor who now a "newsreader" or whatever they're called in the u.k.?

i would have thought he'd had enough working alongside puppets and automatrons

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Sūpā Saiya-N

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
lookin good sweet d

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Man I love Atlanta, what a great show

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

that's me with the
fake tits
losing my ethnicity

Lmao

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

is the guy from doctor who now a "newsreader" or whatever they're called in the u.k.?

i would have thought he'd had enough working alongside puppets and automatrons

he's not a newsreader and that's not the news

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wow, someone is really into keeping her tv appearences current on wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martina_Big#Television

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's not a pan that's a cut

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

In Training posted:

we pan over, then pan in. We pan right on his face and then we do a smash pan back

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
lmfao at appearing on an episode of Botched. I wonder how that went

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

that's me with the
fake tits
losing my ethnicity

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Glad we could identify the thing that was out of place

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

In Training posted:

I had a rent check stolen when somebody got my landlord's mail and MFer just wrote his own name on the back and whatever bank he took it to didn't even care I guess.

Sounds like you wrote a check for CASH instead of landlord's name or business. If not, the bank teller was supposed to ID the person cashing it to ensure they were the person for whom the check was written. If that's what happened and they didn't ID, lmao. The signature on the back doesn't matter too much besides the fact that it exists. You're lucky they didn't add a zero or two to the amount since the teller was just handing over money no questions asked.

There's also the chance that the person depositing the check used a phone app to take a photo of the check for deposit. If that's the case, lmao because now you're asking a bank's tech department to know what they are doing with photos of checks which means contract out their OCR stuff or write their own using OCR libs. Still, you can't catch 100% of fraud and the metrics the bank uses for success is not how much deposits work, but how much fraud you can stop.

Comedy option: your landlord is lying and trying to get you to double pay.

appeal to authority warning: I worked on the mobile check deposit team for this bank for the past 2 years before moving on to another team.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

:lmao:

also i can't believe i'm asking this, but why doesn't she try to sound black? is that her trying to sound black???

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

is pepsi ok posted:

:lmao:

also i can't believe i'm asking this, but why doesn't she try to sound black? is that her trying to sound black???

She's German, what would her trying to speak English with a blaccent sound like?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

She's German, what would her trying to speak English with a blaccent sound like?

Hilarious is my guess

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Tricky D posted:

Hilarious is my guess

I thought about it, and I actually knew an old lady who left Germany in the 50's and lived in the deep south for 60+ years and her accent was insane.

Imagine being called "Sweetiepie" and "Honeychile" by a drawling Frau Farbissina from Austin Powers.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nothus posted:

lmfao at appearing on an episode of Botched. I wonder how that went

oh no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFaI53Cm2b8

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we've made a full circle back to titten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name