Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I don't mind Chadley except when I'm trying to blitz through the region intel and he repeatedly yanks me into a completely pointless cutscene to tell me that there's new simulator fights or whatever. Yes that's why I'm doing this, I get the gist!

Harrow posted:

My literal only complaint re: Chadley in Rebirth is that I don't know why the game makes you stop, pull out the CHAD unit, and have him deliver two lines while a loop of his face plays most times you complete a world intel objective. Just have him speak over gameplay as you continue to walk around, like how MAI does for monster intel.

Otherwise I like him just fine in Rebirth, he's cool

This is exactly why Chadley is annoying. He constantly interrupts the gameplay flow to waste your time with pointless, repetitive dialogue. And he's so ubiquitous that you'll spend most of the game interacting with him. I swear he has substantially more dialogue than your actual party members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ImpAtom posted:

I admit that I, personally at least, am not really receptive to the 'checklist' criticism, because it always feels off and arbitrary to me. Like I genuinely don't think content where you have cool battles, get lore and unlock new content is a checklist content in the same way as like "Collect 100 feathers" would be. To some degree it always ends up feeling like someone is saying "Any content that is not 100% unique and on the main story quest is just a checklist" and list... to some degree, I can say you're not wrong, but we've got multiple Final Fantasy games where the number 1 criticism is that there wasn't more of that stuff to do.

Like the Lifesprings for example. While you can find them on the map, they also have a good solid in-world marker where you'll find a hooting owl nearby and can follow it to the spring, and even if you're not looking at the map that's something you'll discover while exploring and your reward is a bunch of crafting materials and either some lore or the location of a valuable artifact or hidden enemy. Same for the Summons where you find a glowing rock and it lets you know a cave is nearby, and your Chocobos will make noises and wark when you're near a digging spot. It all feels tied into the world in a way that isn't just Chadley Says So.

See, now we're talking. This is kinda like my Rufus fight complaint in that when you pick apart the Game Content it's, like... fine? It is as you say, the stuff is fairly organic in both the world and the video game and has multiple layers of incentive even if none of them are massive, it's all good stuff. It's just.

What if the lifesprings had nothing at all to do with Chadley? What if they were just a thing where periodically you'd find an owl and it'd lead you to a serene and beautiful spot that had some materials in it and Aerith would do a little prayer and tell you what the Planet told her, and that was the end of it, and certainly there was no sudden doo-doo-doo-doo "Cloud! I know I said these exact lines the last fifteen times but just in case you've forgotten I'll repeat them!". What if - forgive me but I'm about to suggest something that might be anathema - what if they were all actually optional, they weren't part of chains to get transmuter chips for key items for sidequests, they weren't part of a giant checklist that inexplicably expands your skill tree, and they certainly weren't part of a loving Trophy. What if they were just a cool thing. What if they were free from Chadley?

It's not the tasks. It's Chadley.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i also think he's too talky and too bland. i didn't outright hate him but the kid has no appeal for me. a gray smudge in what's otherwise a very charming cast

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
gently caress these brutal combat simulator challenges. The 2nd one with the Grandhorns is utter bullshit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

See, now we're talking. This is kinda like my Rufus fight complaint in that when you pick apart the Game Content it's, like... fine? It is as you say, the stuff is fairly organic in both the world and the video game and has multiple layers of incentive even if none of them are massive, it's all good stuff. It's just.

What if the lifesprings had nothing at all to do with Chadley? What if they were just a thing where periodically you'd find an owl and it'd lead you to a serene and beautiful spot that had some materials in it and Aerith would do a little prayer and tell you what the Planet told her, and that was the end of it, and certainly there was no sudden doo-doo-doo-doo "Cloud! I know I said these exact lines the last fifteen times but just in case you've forgotten I'll repeat them!". What if - forgive me but I'm about to suggest something that might be anathema - what if they were all actually optional, they weren't part of chains to get transmuter chips for key items for sidequests, they weren't part of a giant checklist that inexplicably expands your skill tree, and they certainly weren't part of a loving Trophy. What if they were just a cool thing. What if they were free from Chadley?

What does Chadley have to do with it being a trophy or not? Do you think it would suddenly not be one if it was Aerith instead? Especially since the major artifice for things you have to finish to max out trophies isn't Chadley, it's Johnny, whose hotel demands you do significantly more than Chadley does.

Likewise like... they would be the exact same level of optional/not optional. Unless you remove any sort of useful rewards or content from a sidequest then it is always going to be psuedo-optional and if you do then people complain it is worthless or a waste of time. Look, again, at FF16 which got criticized for having exactly that kind of thing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 15, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does Chadley just have an exceptionally annoying voice in the English dub or something? I can't really conceive of being annoyed by him in my playthrough. He's just the robot guy who gives me some quests/lore and gives simulation missions. He has a comedy duo thing going on with MAI.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Fedule posted:

I can get being annoyed at the little interruptions after life springs and stuff and how the presentation for it could be more varied. But like, I don't get how they're not already actually optional if all they lead to are crafting key items for sidequests and a trophy?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

Does Chadley just have an exceptionally annoying voice in the English dub or something? I can't really conceive of being annoyed by him in my playthrough. He's just the robot guy who gives me some quests/lore and gives simulation missions. He has a comedy duo thing going on with MAI.

his voice is fine it’s just the part where he stops the gameplay to have you stare at a watch while he stares back at you vacantly for 5 seconds before finally talking and it’s just “good job finding that lifespring, cloud, onto the next one” that gets grating

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ImpAtom posted:

What does Chadley have to do with it being a trophy or not? Do you think it would suddenly not be one if it was Aerith instead? Especially since the major artifice for things you have to finish to max out trophies isn't Chadley, it's Johnny, whose hotel demands you do significantly more than Chadley does.

Likewise like... they would be the exact same level of optional/not optional. Unless you remove any sort of useful rewards or content from a sidequest then it is always going to be psuedo-optional and if you do then people complain it is worthless or a waste of time.

I mean, you're right here, too. Johnny's wall of bullshit is also bad, although, you will note, that Johnny never once talks to you about any of his objectives. (E: except the Tonberry King's Crown, which is a weird case for like five completely different reasons, but also this is during a sidequest anyway)

I'm just saying. It is the contextualisation of the thing as being a task for Chadley that makes it grate in a way that an identical task as a discoverable thing would not.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 15, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Chadley the character is fine it’s just the stupid little mandatory repetitive cutscenes that are annoying. Chadley is my friend. he’s an annoying friend but a friend nonetheless

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Chadley rules because the end of his world intel quest clearly points to him creating some kind of NieR Replicant-style spinoff with FF7.

Also his dynamic with MAI is super funny because he did it entirely to himself.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ImpAtom posted:

CHADLEY: Hello! I am a little awkward but I am constantly encouraging and friendly and absolutely shower you with equipment and items and my awkwardness is the result of being manipulated by the most evil man alive and I am working past it. Literally everything I do is in the service of a greater positive goal of which I am open about.

AUDIENCE: gently caress you!!!!

Chadley rules

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I just want to explore and fight stuff and the game prevents me from doing it at every turn lol. gently caress your mini games and forced party lock corridor sequences jfc

For an open world game you get unbelievably little free roam time, yet simultaneously it feels like the story pacing is glacial

The parts I like I really like but all the rest makes it such a struggle to keep going and having paid $70 is the main reason I still am. I just want to do combat let me do combat

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

I mean, you're right here, too. Johnny's wall of bullshit is also bad, although, you will note, that Johnny never once talks to you about any of his objectives. (E: except the Tonberry King's Crown, which is a weird case for like five completely different reasons, but also this is during a sidequest anyway)

I'm just saying. It is the contextualisation of the thing as being a task for Chadley that makes it grate in a way that an identical task as a discoverable thing would not.

I guess it doesn't really bother me. Maybe because I play a lot of JRPGs but "do quests for weird characters" just is a thing I'm used to and sometimes enjoy. poo poo in terms of checklists, I'll take Chadley over maxing out BP or its equivalent in a Trails game every time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I guess it doesn't really bother me.

yes, that's been made clear

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

“Scientist creates their own AI helper robot but can’t program them not to be annoying” is a classic comedy bit why are some people acting baffled and confused by it

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

for consistency, john dimaggio should have voiced the obnoxious robot instead of heidegger

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Fedule posted:

...have you ever played a jrpg before?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Augus posted:

“Scientist creates their own AI helper robot but can’t program them not to be annoying” is a classic comedy bit why are some people acting baffled and confused by it

This is a very good (implied) question with various interesting answers, all of which basically boil down to: it's really hard to write a character who's annoying to another character without actually annoying the player, especially under certain contexts and conditions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

While that is true, I do feel like FF7R pulls it off pretty often even if you ignore Chadley. Hell, it has Yuffie, who (though I know it depends on the person) I feel hits the "annoying bratty little sister" thing in just the right way.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Chadley is intended to be annoying in a funny way but some people find him annoying in an annoying way. Shocking I know

But he's mostly my pal

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I feel the chapter 12 boss fight is incredibly cheap and an annoying end to an otherwise wonderful chapter.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I do agree that your party members should be more a part of the ‘checklist’ content. Despite being technically fantastic games in lots of areas, my absolute favorite thing about these FF7Rs is that they are chock full of FF7, a game so was obsessed with 25 years ago. So if you gave me the option to have Aerith give the pithy line after a lifespring or have Yuffie tell you about special fiends in the area I would take it every time because it’s more content with the all the old stuff I love.

I don’t really care about Johnny’s wall but I would probably like it better if you were collecting things for Bugenhagen’s study or something. I really like the expanding of minor characters rather than creation of new ones if they’re going to play a major role. I would probably be less critical of Chadley’s dumb face if he were the same character in a different video game, but sometimes it feels like he’s trying to shoehorn himself into my lovely nostalgia.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ImpAtom posted:

While that is true, I do feel like FF7R pulls it off pretty often even if you ignore Chadley. Hell, it has Yuffie, who (though I know it depends on the person) I feel hits the "annoying bratty little sister" thing in just the right way.

Definitely generally agree with you on this count. In fact, I was thinking of specifically invoking the scene right at the start of Mt Corel where Yuffie is needling Barret all like "permission to scratch my back, sir?" and you're like "you little poo poo" but you're also like "get his rear end", as an example of the annoying thing being done right. The entire Kyrie arc walks an even more dangerous knife edge because literally everybody (except, now that I think about it, Yuffie) is absolutely sick of her poo poo, but they pull off this magic trick where despite constantly being all "oh god not you again" her quests still tend to be fairly well received (this might have something to do with her banging theme music, which in turn is a demonstration of what kinds of lengths you have to go to in order to make annoying characters not annoy the player) and ultimately you can kinda sorta maybe almost see why Yuffie sticks up for her so much towards the end (especially if you're read in about Yuffie).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ror posted:

I do agree that your party members should be more a part of the ‘checklist’ content. Despite being technically fantastic games in lots of areas, my absolute favorite thing about these FF7Rs is that they are chock full of FF7, a game so was obsessed with 25 years ago. So if you gave me the option to have Aerith give the pithy line after a lifespring or have Yuffie tell you about special fiends in the area I would take it every time because it’s more content with the all the old stuff I love.

I don’t really care about Johnny’s wall but I would probably like it better if you were collecting things for Bugenhagen’s study or something. I really like the expanding of minor characters rather than creation of new ones if they’re going to play a major role. I would probably be less critical of Chadley’s dumb face if he were the same character in a different video game, but sometimes it feels like he’s trying to shoehorn himself into my lovely nostalgia.

Johnny's an existing character, he was part of FF7 too. He even settles down in Costa Del Sol and gets married in the original.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I feel the chapter 12 boss fight is incredibly cheap and an annoying end to an otherwise wonderful chapter.

it's functionally the same as he was in the last game but with two key differences - you don't have counterstrike, and darkstar joins in the second half of the fight rather than the first. somehow this makes him way more of a ballbuster

never checked if he was still vulnerable to sleep/stop but i could have made things a lot easier for myself if that were the case

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

they want shady posted:

I can get being annoyed at the little interruptions after life springs and stuff and how the presentation for it could be more varied. But like, I don't get how they're not already actually optional if all they lead to are crafting key items for sidequests and a trophy?

For me it's that the repeated animations are just that little bit too long.like the chocobo stations.

Every time cloud does that little sign adjustment, I'm like come on already. Same with the use of cushions.

It's novel the first time but after that just let me quickly rest and heal.

That's the same feeling I get with a call from Chadley, "here comes the scifi phone animation".

It's why I quite like the enemy encounter activities. You still get the dialogue but it doesn't stop me from just getting on with things.

I'd be fine if all of the Chladley stuff was done in exactly the same way with an option to push a button and focus on what he was saying if you wanted.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

ImpAtom posted:

Johnny's an existing character, he was part of FF7 too. He even settles down in Costa Del Sol and gets married in the original.

I’ve been exposed as a phony, blinded by my dislike of Johnny.

Most of the characters that are on the fence for me turn out be be EU characters, like I didn’t know who Cissnei or Glenn were but I definitely didn’t care about them as much as the game seemed to want me to.

Then again new characters like Roche exist so maybe it’s all just a matter of execution and taste.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Kyrie is perfect and that's even before you take into account her diegetic theme song.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kin posted:

For me it's that the repeated animations are just that little bit too long.like the chocobo stations.

Every time cloud does that little sign adjustment, I'm like come on already. Same with the use of cushions.

It's novel the first time but after that just let me quickly rest and heal.

That's the same feeling I get with a call from Chadley, "here comes the scifi phone animation".

Yup. I don't have any real issues with Chadley as such, but I am annoyed by repetitive animations that just needlessly slow things down and lock out interaction.

It has a very Nintendo feel (like crafting in Breath of the Wild which I found absolutely infuriating) and contrasts badly with the stuff that they got right with things like near seamless transitions on/off Chocobos into battle, climbing, picking up objects, opening chests, etc.

Also somebody mentioned several pages up-thread the fact that the signs are modeled very realistically as a post in a concrete plug... which is meant to be in the ground, not standing on top of it ready to be knocked over again trivially, and I cannot un-see this. On the plus side, I guess that animation would be even longer and more tedious if Cloud dug a hole to seat the sign properly, but it still annoys me that he's half-assing it for those cute little Chocobos.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Quinton posted:

Yup. I don't have any real issues with Chadley as such, but I am annoyed by repetitive animations that just needlessly slow things down and lock out interaction.

It has a very Nintendo feel (like crafting in Breath of the Wild which I found absolutely infuriating) and contrasts badly with the stuff that they got right with things like near seamless transitions on/off Chocobos into battle, climbing, picking up objects, opening chests, etc.

Also somebody mentioned several pages up-thread the fact that the signs are modeled very realistically as a post in a concrete plug... which is meant to be in the ground, not standing on top of it ready to be knocked over again trivially, and I cannot un-see this. On the plus side, I guess that animation would be even longer and more tedious if Cloud dug a hole to seat the sign properly, but it still annoys me that he's half-assing it for those cute little Chocobos.

Cloud should Braver the post into the ground

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In the next game all the posts will have fallen over so you need to go and set them again, right this time, and it will be a 30 second long unskippable animation for each.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kin posted:

It's me: I'm the guy petting every baby chocobo at every station.

I can't help it. They are adorable.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

ImpAtom posted:

In the next game all the posts will have fallen over so you need to go and set them again, right this time, and it will be a 30 second long unskippable animation for each.

Each one will be a rhythm game ala summon shrines.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

ImpAtom posted:

And then, once you're done, the CHAD module will start beeping...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, I'm so glad people suddenly caring about sales numbers is the new discourse around this game. There are so many friggan landmines about the ending out there that them getting drowned out by console warrior nonsense is a blessing to me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
not sure this last string of set pieces in chapter 13 really needed to be here, but I probably didn’t make it easier for myself by slamming down 90 hours of story in 2 weeks

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just did the Turks fight in Chapter 13, whew, this has been a long dungeon but I feel like I'm almost at the en--why is my PS5 telling me I'm 40% done with this chapter

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

not sure this last string of set pieces in chapter 13 really needed to be here, but I probably didn’t make it easier for myself by slamming down 90 hours of story in 2 weeks

Yeah I had the same reaction. It didn’t help that I already thought the dungeon had gone on about twice as long as it needed to and I hate enforced on rails slow walking sequences that could have just been a cutscene so I didn’t have to sit here holding the stick forever and occasionally pressing a button with a passion, so throwing that at me when my patience was already worn thin really sucked.

Also my wife pointed out that in the last section where you’re heading back to Ifalna child Aerith kind of waddles like she’s poo poo herself and I couldn’t unsee it after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Chadley is fine, in theory

But when there's 40 towers and 40 lifesprings and 40 summon materia points, and every single one of them is "walk up, press button, wait 5 seconds while big graphics pop up and tell you you did it, and then another 10 seconds of Chadley saying "Cloud! You did the thing. Okay bye""

The game's presentation fosters resentment of him for wasting your time My reward for engaging with exploring world landmarks is having to wait patiently while Chadley pipes in a voiceline that I absolutely do not need to be stunlocked for.

I think people would dislike him less if the graphics popup / Chadley dialogue was happening while you were already on your Chocobo traveling away from the lifespring
But you gotta sit there and listen to him

And that "sit there and wait" is baked into the later world exploration that doesn't even feature Chadley, which gave me a good chuckle.