Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dabir posted:

E: There's also a New Game+ system, and a guide I looked at just now claims you can't get all Augments on your first run no matter what. Apparently, characters' stat gains at high levels (like 70+) depend on what abilities they have actively equipped when they level up, like Espers in FF6, so if you want to 100% the game by maxing everyone's stats and getting all the Augments there's a really specific guide you need to follow. But if you just want to get through the story, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just try to give two Augments to characters whose abilities seem useful, so that you'll get all three of theirs in return.

Yeah except you can only do NG+ twice. Which is, like, why make that limitation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man do I play Granblue Relink or Unicorn Overlord this weekend...

Too many good games.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Dabir posted:

Yeah, for sure, getting to the credits just takes thoughtful play and understanding your options in battle, the tedious spreadsheet following is not at all required unless you're a dedicated achievement hunter.

Yeah, I just wasn't sure whether it was "You need a guide (because the game never tells you that you should give your permanent upgrades to temporary party members)" or "You need a guide (because you need to give Skill A to Porom and Skill B to Edward and Skill C to Young Rydia, and if you do it differently you won't get The Good Stuff)"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve been playing balatro

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

Man do I play Granblue Relink or Unicorn Overlord this weekend...

Too many good games.

No wrong choice! Loved both games.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Welp, resolution broken. I wasn't able to make it a whole year of not buying any games. So what got me - FF7R, DD 2, Like a Dragon 8....NOPE

it was a bunch of rpgs for steam like Wasteland 3, Avernum 1-6, Deathtrap Dungeon, Age of Decadence , Blade of Darkness, Outward, Gothic 1-3 and Black Geyser.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve been playing balatro

I fear getting this game because I know it will eat up every single waking moment of mine.

I said come in! posted:

No wrong choice! Loved both games.

Yeah last I played I was at early Proud difficulty in Relink, I just got real busy around that time. And Unicorn Overlord's been peak as hell for me, so it's hard to choose.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spider-Man: Miles Morales continues the Insomniac Spider-Man tradition of having a suit with really good toon shading that makes me wonder why we don't have a whole game that looks like this

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Spider-Man: Miles Morales continues the Insomniac Spider-Man tradition of having a suit with really good toon shading that makes me wonder why we don't have a whole game that looks like this

i haven't worked with anything as high end as that, but my assumption is that, much like with lower fidelity models, getting toon shading to look good requires a lot of loving around with custom normal maps and various shader tricks for things like rim lighting that would be impractical to do for an entire game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But there's so many teraflops now! How much more teraflop do we need!?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Every day we stray further from the light of Viewtiful Joe

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's not the flops, it's the labour, they basically have to hand paint every frame and companies won't pay for it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shard posted:

Welp, resolution broken. I wasn't able to make it a whole year of not buying any games. So what got me - FF7R, DD 2, Like a Dragon 8....NOPE

it was a bunch of rpgs for steam like Wasteland 3, Avernum 1-6, Deathtrap Dungeon, Age of Decadence , Blade of Darkness, Outward, Gothic 1-3 and Black Geyser.

The Geneforge 2 remake releases next week!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

FutureCop posted:

Hmm, well, the 3D Remake being a bit harder might actually be a plus in my book as I like to avoid just spamming attack, but then again, if y'all are bringing it up in the first place, I assume that it's meant that the difficulty isn't actually challenging but rather unbalanced or awkward, like it requires you to stop and run laps to grind too often instead of just flowing, or it's needlessly tedious and time-wasting from spongy enemies, or it's filled with dumb insta-death traps you can't see coming. Is that about right? And if it's already hard by default, I'd hate to see what it's like on it's hard difficulty, haha!

In the SNES/Pixel Remaster versions you largely ignore enemy gimmicks and just hit everything with your strongest attack/spell. In the 3D version doing that will get you wiped out pretty quickly.

You also need to level more in the 3D version, but I recall it as being more of a "fight all the encounters instead of skipping them" thing and not a "spend an hour grinding here before the next boss" thing, though if you really struggle against a boss grinding another level or two can certainly help.

We mention it because it can come as quite a surprise for anyone who's played the 16-bit FFs and gotten used to just brute forcing things.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Carpet posted:

What do people use for standalone gaming microphones these days? Lots of recommendations for stuff like the Elgato Wave3 or the Blue Yeti which seem a bit more designed for streaming or podcasting rather than just online gaming.

I got this Fifine mic for $15 after seeing some good reviews online and it has worked just fine. Way better than using a "gamer headset" for sure, I just have it at the back corner of my desk and don't have to be particularly close or anything. Looks like they've added an extra 3 bucks to the price since then though.

It sounds fine: https://voca.ro/1nekKPEuHN27

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
All versions of FF4 are good. Can't go wrong with any of them

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wishing I could forget Bloodborne, so I could experience it again for the first time.

Just inject the first 1min 12secs of Gehrman, the First Hunter into my veins on loop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V9zxXN1rx0
Cannot accurately describe how jaw dropping the opening to that fight was with that playing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I would also like to experience Bloodborne for the first time!

:negative:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

fridge corn posted:

All versions of FF4 are good. Can't go wrong with any of them

I never really got around to the PSP version. The Advance version is just silly. I like that every version of FF4 is basically a different game with the same story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Snake Maze posted:

I’ve never played FF4 DS - how does it work out if you go in blind (but know that, yes, you should give augments to everybody, even the characters that you know are going to die). Would you still end up with junk? Or would you have endgame abilities, just maybe not the optimal ones you’d choose if you could pick anything you wanted?
If you go in blind you'll probably wind up missing out on the specific best augments, since it's not "you should give augments to everybody" it's "make sure to give at least 1 or 2 augments to these specific characters before they leave the party". This does not mean you'll wind up with junk though, just that you would not get whatever super OP augments they'd give out.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I actually like knowing everything about Bloodborne. These days I can get all the way to that electric skeleton dog without dying once. That game feels like putting on your most comfortable shoes.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Speaking of Bloodborne. Return to Yharnam is up next on the "Return to ____" rotation. The 24th - April 8th. Good time to check in on the ol' cum dungeon, ayup.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nate RFB posted:

If you go in blind you'll probably wind up missing out on the specific best augments, since it's not "you should give augments to everybody" it's "make sure to give at least 1 or 2 augments to these specific characters before they leave the party". This does not mean you'll wind up with junk though, just that you would not get whatever super OP augments they'd give out.

I found this system infuriating because some of the most interesting augments seemed to be NG++. I don’t care how much I enjoy the game, I’m not going to play it 3 times back to back.

Shard posted:

I actually like knowing everything about Bloodborne. These days I can get all the way to that electric skeleton dog without dying once. That game feels like putting on your most comfortable shoes.

Pushing memories of my childhood out of my brain in favor of the muscle memory of exactly where I can stand that amygdala can’t land on me.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jerusalem posted:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, I just wasn't sure whether it was "You need a guide (because the game never tells you that you should give your permanent upgrades to temporary party members)" or "You need a guide (because you need to give Skill A to Porom and Skill B to Edward and Skill C to Young Rydia, and if you do it differently you won't get The Good Stuff)"
To be absolutely crystal clear, you need to give two (2) augments to any character that will permanently leave the party before they do so (except the twins, who need a minimum of one each and three altogether) if you want the extra inherited augments from the next time you meet them (or their representative, as the case may be). Augments persist through both New Game+ cycles, so this only needs to be done once (i.e. you don't have to give the twins nine augments).

The main reason you cannot get all inherited augments on your first playthrough is that by the time the first three party members have left for good, you'll only have been able to collect a maximum of four augments. Guides generally suggest skipping the first character on the first playthrough because the extra inherited augments aren't especially strong (though they can still be useful), so only having two copies of those on a complete New Game+ file isn't a problem. (They also suggest skipping another character on the first round, too - you'd have enough augments but it would mean giving up a few too many useful augments for your final party.)

DalaranJ posted:

I found this system infuriating because some of the most interesting augments seemed to be NG++. I don’t care how much I enjoy the game, I’m not going to play it 3 times back to back.
There's only technically one augment that's NG+ - Limit Break, which increases a character's damage cap to 99999, is obtained for completing a playthrough (which means you can only have two, total, on a file). There's a few that would come late in a playthrough (e.g. Treasure Hunter, which needs 100% map completion of every dungeon), but there's no other Augments that are straight out locked behind New Game+.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 15, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've posted about it before but it's also worth noting that the Augments you get for just playing the game are some of the best available. There's some good ones in the lost-character augments but a lot of them are kind of eh.

And more to the point nothing in the game expects you to have that. The Augment min-maxing "MUST USE PERFECT" stuff is 100% for replays of the game to build up to the superboss, which if you don't care about doing means there's no reason to even stress.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I've posted about it before but it's also worth noting that the Augments you get for just playing the game are some of the best available. There's some good ones in the lost-character augments but a lot of them are kind of eh.
Oh yeah, one of the useful augments I alluded to would include Counter. You can do some nutso stuff with Counter in IV DS (like setting up spells or attack items) that it would be a big shame to sacrifice one, especially on a first playthrough.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

And more to the point nothing in the game expects you to have that. The Augment min-maxing "MUST USE PERFECT" stuff is 100% for replays of the game to build up to the superboss, which if you don't care about doing means there's no reason to even stress.

Also since it's a PC game I just used Cheat Engine to give me whatever Augments I felt like having. I like FF4, but playing it multiple times to collect all the Augments was not my bag.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Hogama posted:

To be absolutely crystal clear, you need to give two (2) augments to any character that will permanently leave the party before they do so (except the twins, who need a minimum of one each and three altogether) if you want the extra inherited augments from the next time you meet them (or their representative, as the case may be). Augments persist through both New Game+ cycles, so this only needs to be done once (i.e. you don't have to give the twins nine augments).

The main reason you cannot get all inherited augments on your first playthrough is that by the time the first three party members have left for good, you'll only have been able to collect a maximum of four augments. Guides generally suggest skipping the first character on the first playthrough because the extra inherited augments aren't especially strong (though they can still be useful), so only having two copies of those on a complete New Game+ file isn't a problem. (They also suggest skipping another character on the first round, too - you'd have enough augments but it would mean giving up a few too many useful augments for your final party.)

There's only technically one augment that's NG+ - Limit Break, which increases a character's damage cap to 99999, is obtained for completing a playthrough (which means you can only have two, total, on a file). There's a few that would come late in a playthrough (e.g. Treasure Hunter, which needs 100% map completion of every dungeon), but there's no other Augments that are straight out locked behind New Game+.

Sadly only the original DS version gives you two limit breaks, only get one in every other version.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

BrokenLink posted:

Sadly only the original DS version gives you two limit breaks, only get one in every other version.
Ah, really? That's on me, I only played the DS version and didn't think that'd be something changed in ports.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Limit Break is also not really anywhere as useful as it is in other games since breaking 9999 damage limit isn't really significant unless you're using Ultima which genuinely sucks for the fights where you'd need to break 9999 because it requires you to Twincast with Rosa and Cecil which means Rosa isn't buffing/healing/using Holy

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Limit Break is also not really anywhere as useful as it is in other games since breaking 9999 damage limit isn't really significant unless you're using Ultima which genuinely sucks for the fights where you'd need to break 9999 because it requires you to Twincast with Rosa and Cecil which means Rosa isn't buffing/healing/using Holy

it's more of a problem for the stat capping thing, limit break gives +1 to every stat at level up past 70, save for Ultima as you mentioned and throwing the knife with edge, which are more of a gimmick than anything
it's really only a choice between Rydia and Kain.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/gamedevdotcom/status/1768344091082031206?t=W3PaU7469RqbUPMyOS0VJg&s=19

Respawn got caught in layoffs, mostly the Apex team

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:psyduck: Wai..wha? Isn't Apex one of their top earners

:psyboom:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
drat. Apex was always touted as one of the few BR success stories, but I guess it's been a few years.

Stop spawncamping Respawn :sigh:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Infinitum posted:

:psyduck: Wai..wha? Isn't Apex one of their top earners

:psyboom:
The industry has become that one executive at Atari who said developers are no more important than the workers on the assembly line that led to the creation of Activision

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Very misleading title. The article is saying they laid off some people from Respawn (23 total), not the whole team... which is around 800 people (according to some site i've never heard of called rocketreach)

Layoffs always suck and the game industry really needs better protections & severance policies (and unions!) for employees but they're not shutting down the the studio or anything.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 16, 2024

riptidejim
Mar 11, 2024

Have a good night!

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm playing the PS2 remake of Dragon Quest V and it's got the classic first person battles and when one of the monsters jumps at the screen to attack me, I still sometimes jump

My brother actually just finished that last month. I watched him play the whole thing (in Japanese) (he doesn't know Japanese)
That version is so cute though, I love the character models so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Of the franchise I mostly played the GBC Warrior Monsters game. How draconic are the main games, are you usually on a quest involving a dragon or is it like Unicorn Overlord and that's just the team mascot of the Dragon boys club.