Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mammy-ry glands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

One More Fat Nerd posted:

She's German, what would her trying to speak English with a blaccent sound like?

its weird cause she doesnt sound like any german ive ever heard speak english. tbh i thought she was english at first, doing some kind of "european" accent

clearly shes trying to do some kind of accent, but it doesnt sound like any recognizable accent to me. maybe that really is what a white german trying to sound black in english sounds like, i guess?

Carthag Tuek has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Mar 15, 2024

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

she sounds extremely german lol, like that accent is comically thick and stereotypical

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lobster shirt posted:

she sounds extremely german lol, like that accent is comically thick and stereotypical

nah its closer to french, esp the way she stresses syllables

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

poemdexter posted:

Sounds like you wrote a check for CASH instead of landlord's name or business. If not, the bank teller was supposed to ID the person cashing it to ensure they were the person for whom the check was written. If that's what happened and they didn't ID, lmao. The signature on the back doesn't matter too much besides the fact that it exists. You're lucky they didn't add a zero or two to the amount since the teller was just handing over money no questions asked.

There's also the chance that the person depositing the check used a phone app to take a photo of the check for deposit. If that's the case, lmao because now you're asking a bank's tech department to know what they are doing with photos of checks which means contract out their OCR stuff or write their own using OCR libs. Still, you can't catch 100% of fraud and the metrics the bank uses for success is not how much deposits work, but how much fraud you can stop.

Comedy option: your landlord is lying and trying to get you to double pay.

appeal to authority warning: I worked on the mobile check deposit team for this bank for the past 2 years before moving on to another team.

No it was to my landlord's name, and surprisingly they did not try to bilk us in the process. It took a couple months but the Fraud Investigation of our bank got our money back.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

lobster shirt posted:

comically thick and stereotypical

Yeah I saw her in the video

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

BonHair posted:

Excel or some bespoke system written by Tom in F# in the 90s is really holding everything together. And Tom is like 70 and not in good shape physically.

Many years ago I walked for Walmart corporate. Execl ran pretty much everything. Pretty much every financial system was is the process of being replaced because they were no longer supported by the developing company.

Replenishment for Bananas was managed by an excel macro and then later an alteryx job.

The “source of truth” for store numbers, addresses, and other info that fed our store master which fed literally every other system was an excel file sitting on one guys computer.

All our financial budgeting and forecasting in merchandising were excel files and macros. When we were in the process of replacing the above mentioned financial systems one year, the entire financial budgeting and planning for Walmart was done in excel because the old systems were no longer working and the new system wasn’t ready.

I have worked for 3 major retailers since I left Walmart. Walmart was cutting edge by comparison. I do not understand how my current employer is even still in business.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Oscar Wild posted:

Yeah I saw her in the video

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

i say swears online posted:

somehow i never thought about adblockers getting bought by ad companies

AdBlock Plus, one of the oldest and most popular ad blocking browser extensions, has been owned by an ad tech company for over a decade

https://eyeo.com/solutions/advertisers

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if the twitch channel points autoclicker extension sells out i'mma be pissed

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Saltpowered posted:

The “source of truth” for store numbers, addresses, and other info that fed our store master which fed literally every other system was an excel file sitting on one guys computer.

lol this reminds me, i have worked for several big companies where getting an accurate site count was basically impossible

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

shackleford posted:

AdBlock Plus, one of the oldest and most popular ad blocking browser extensions, has been owned by an ad tech company for over a decade

https://eyeo.com/solutions/advertisers

ublock origin is the only one that hasn't and is open source so people can audit it. why people use any other adblocker is confounding

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My previous job was all legacy Excel sheets (some made by me) and Google docs and every project manager had their own pet tracking system.

Now I work for the place where it's all a massive labyrinth of SQL databases with an elaborate web of access permissions and basically no one there even knows how half of it works any more

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the person in charge of our work coffee club got fired and now we have no idea whose turn it is to buy the next tub of folger's

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://twitter.com/LolOverruled/status/1768741809977524558

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Cerebral Bore posted:

back in university i had a couple of friends who went out of their way to learn cobol and we all thought they were crazy, but now they're making good money and we're not so jokes on us i guess

yeah that's what all of the financial systems run on

spy satellites too

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The337th posted:

Glad we could identify the thing that was out of place

lol

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

this is how I know that I am an optimist and that Finkelstein is a pessimist, whenever I have a conversation with the politically facile I always walk away with the same judgement: "this person would make an excellent stalinist"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1768983173134754249

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6bsFIPl_k0

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Errrrrrrrr....

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
she's such a massive dog brain dope.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Saltpowered posted:

Many years ago I walked for Walmart corporate. Execl ran pretty much everything. Pretty much every financial system was is the process of being replaced because they were no longer supported by the developing company.

Replenishment for Bananas was managed by an excel macro and then later an alteryx job.

All our financial budgeting and forecasting in merchandising were excel files and macros. When we were in the process of replacing the above mentioned financial systems one year, the entire financial budgeting and planning for Walmart was done in excel because the old systems were no longer working and the new system wasn’t ready.

I have worked for 3 major retailers since I left Walmart. Walmart was cutting edge by comparison. I do not understand how my current employer is even still in business.

I worked at a grocery store that had its database on cassette tape in the mid 2000s

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rodbeard posted:

I worked at a grocery store that had its database on cassette tape in the mid 2000s

my first job was at barnes and noble and the in-store music was rotated out monthly on giant stacks of tape

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
people see public infrastructure falling down around and still think private companies can do better but private companies everywhere are still running on 30+ year old processes, software, and infrastructure.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

also they're building the infrastructure now too

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_sacueqPQCx1s1ddrj.mp4

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Select your date coach:

Mr. Bean (free)
Austin Powers (15 free lines remaining)
Andrew Tate (premium upgrade, $1/use)
Elon Musk ($8/month, free with Twitter Blue)
Kanye West (limited offer, out of the vault for March only. $14.88/month)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Saltpowered posted:

Select your date coach:

Mr. Bean (free)
Austin Powers (15 free lines remaining)
Andrew Tate (premium upgrade, $1/use)
Elon Musk ($8/month, free with Twitter Blue)
Kanye West (limited offer, out of the vault for March only. $14.88/month)

Kanye huh?

I sent this bitch a picture of my dick
I don’t know what it is with females
But I’m not too good at that poo poo

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

drat start the reactor

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Horrible little leprechaun

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I want that sash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

Horrible little leprechaun

dagon worshiper spotted